• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Today I had the weird experience of finding someone on OkCupid who thinks and talks so similar to me I was turned off by the idea of dating myself.

Messaged a girl 20 minutes ago on Tinder ("what are you doing tonight?" "You I hope") and now I'm waiting for her at a bar. She messaged saying she's 10 minutes late. And then she unmatched me. Wonder what the deal with that is? Guess I'll hang out here for a bit and not expect anything.

Edit: Well it's 10 minutes later than her being 10 minutes late. Guess I'll head home. No biggie as I needed to get out of the house and wasn't really sure if I was up for something casual right now anyways.

People are weird.

Sorry you got stood up

Xun

I matched with a girl on Tinder, sent a decent first message, got a positive response and then she unmatched me after I sent her another message.

Fuck this shit.

Servbot24

Banned
How many matches is it typical to get on Tinder? I get one every 2 days on average, which seems low to me. I'm not super picky about who I like, I probably swipe right 2/3rds of the time.

All right I'll be creating my first online dating profile soonish. For those with experience in okcupid how likely is it to find somebody who is looking for a long distance relationship and isn't just dating for fun?

I mean answer seems obvious for other sites like match no clue for OKC

I'll be checking the thread and the OP for good advice.

Oh shit hahahahahaha

Sorry Freudian slip due to the thread going on in OT side about it.

I meant to say long lasting, aka a serious relationship vs just dating a bunch of people and "having fun"

Would having headshots for an Online Dating profile be a bit much?

I have a friend who's becoming a professional photographer and he offered to take some high quality photos for me gratis.

I told him it couldn't be behind an ugly stock background though, so off to Central Park we'll be going.

Servbot24

Banned
Would having headshots for an Online Dating profile be a bit much?

I have a friend who's becoming a professional photographer and he offered to take some high quality photos for me gratis.

I told him it couldn't be behind an ugly stock background though, so off to Central Park we'll be going.

I think that's fine. Plenty of girls have them.

gaiages

Banned
I think that's fine. Plenty of girls have them.

Don't forget though that men are judged much more harshly on their pictures than women--after all, they're the ones that typically have to impress, women tend to get attention by just having a profile.

DoktorEvil - A headshot is fine, but do try to also to have a (mostly) full body shot, and maybe a picture with friends/doing something/with a pet, if possible. Obviously I don't mean this for the professional shooting, but it's a general rule to go by.

Don't forget though that men are judged much more harshly on their pictures than women--after all, they're the ones that typically have to impress, women tend to get attention by just having a profile.

DoktorEvil - A headshot is fine, but do try to also to have a (mostly) full body shot, and maybe a picture with friends/doing something/with a pet, if possible. Obviously I don't mean this for the professional shooting, but it's a general rule to go by.
I have a pic carrying my dog that isn't terribly old (like 1 or 2 months at most). Nice to know

I have quite a few, including one with 2 dogs and one of me boxing, but I need something that's a draw. I think a great headshot/bodyshot under the guide of a photographer with a HDR would benefit my profile significantly.

gaiages

Banned
I have a pic carrying my dog that isn't terribly old (like 1 or 2 months at most). Nice to know

Yes, pet pictures are super great <3 (and makes sure to stop those that hate your choice of pet/are allergic from messaging you)

I have quite a few, including one with 2 dogs and one of me boxing, but I need something that's a draw. I think a great headshot/bodyshot under the guide of a photographer with a HDR would benefit my profile significantly.

Yeah, that sounds like a great idea! :3 Good luck with the shoot!

Jokab

Honestly most girls I've talked to loathe guys that have animals in their pictures, saying they come of as try-hards. I personally think picture of you + picture with friends + activity is the best combo, but to each their own.

gaiages

Banned
Honestly most girls I've talked to loathe guys that have animals in their pictures, saying they come of as try-hards. I personally think picture of you + picture with friends + activity is the best combo, but to each their own.

Aw, I think pics with animals are cute :( But then again I love animals.

Yeah, I suppose I could see it as a YMMV scenario there :eek:

I guess I'll go with the best of both worlds and add one with friends/in a social setting and another with my dog. The issue is my dog is horrible at pictures unless I carry him. So I guess it'd be a bit like a try hard, since I do gotta try hard haha

My biggest concern with having a pet is that spending the night at another's place is not an option since my dog is my priority and I live alone

Her profile made it clear she enjoyed trying new things but her ignoring of my question or providing anything more to base a response off tells me she was just being polite or - at best - the conversation would be one-sided. To provide context that was my opener, I don't think responding "Alright pick one, text me at [my number]" or similar would be a good response to someone who at worst was just being polite or at best made no effort to form a conversation.

Sometimes I think people are too harsh with the double standards. Like, "if every girl expects more than 'hi' then I'm not responding to a girl that messages me 'hi'." Or "this girl has zero interesting pictures when I'm expected to have professional-quality ones, not going to bother."

My ex had a very mundane profile with one picture. I still ended up dating her.

Yes, sometimes a profile and texting behaviour are indicative of one's personality, but it's not a hard and fast rule.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
The next time I see a woman who in her profile says she's a "deeper thinker" I'm going to assume she's egotistical and full of shit. I feel like anyone who puts that isn't likely to be as smart as they think.

The next time I see a woman who in her profile says she's a "deeper thinker" I'm going to assume she's egotistical and full of shit. I feel like anyone who puts that isn't likely to be as smart as they think.

Do you not see the opportunity to message her and call her out on it?

Could end up turning into a date...

Just a thought.

velociraptor

So I was talking to a girl and then asked her to send me pics.

She doesn't look that bad or anything, but she's not my type.

What is a nice way to tell someone 'I'm not attracted to you?'

shanafan

So I was talking to a girl and then asked her to send me pics.

She doesn't look that bad or anything, but she's not my type.

What is a nice way to tell someone 'I'm not attracted to you?'

Honesty, and I know this is bad, just stop talking to her. Girls play this card when they are not interested in a guy, so it is a play and I really don't see anything wrong with it.

On the other hand, if you tried to take the high road and be honest, you could wind up like this guy: http://i100.independent.co.uk/artic...date-said-she-was-too-fat-to-love--WJCHq7ctfl

Honesty isn't always the best policy since you could get publicly shamed, no matter if you had good intentions or not.

It's online dating. Hard to feel positive about it.

Be positive! There is always so much potential in online dating. I remember getting new matches often and talking with new girls all the time. You just have to have the mindset that some dates just won't work out. That is very natural, and happens to everyone. You just have to think about and get excited about the next matches to come along. Maybe it can be discouraging at times, but never let that affect your attitude.

Created profile today. Only have basic picture right now, will likely have to add another one later. I'll be with my dog at the park at one point, so might as well take an updated picture.

I've realized that unfortunately the ladies that are appearing in my highest matches aren't necessarily attractive on the first pass, and those that are sound WAY too extroverted for a laid back geek haha. Or simply try WAY too hard to be edgy/wacky. But hey, I signed up for this and are specifically looking for those with similar interests. This friday I'll likely add more pics so I'll start actively looking and messaging then.

One girl I found that sounds like my exact situation isn't the highest match due to religion, but I'm so uncaring about it it might just be reflecting that. She wants to take it slow and isn't the most experienced dater, which is similar to me as I simply never put the effort with girls who asked me out. We'll see how it goes when I eventually message her.

Not to beat a dead horse, but this is what we mean when we say work on yourself. This is not a healthy mindset and no one will want to be near you if that's how you react to things. Like what she put isn't even bad and yet you reacted that angrily and that harshly to it. You have to review how you think about things and improve it because that's not the way to act.

Also, a lot of dating is you have to let them process you wrong at times for lack of better wording. You've never even interacted with that woman and look how much you've already assigned against her. Does that seem fair?

Leeness

Why exactly do people put negative stuff on their profile? I don't get it. Just saw a "will you be the brave one to date a piece of shit like me?" and it's like...no thanks?

I just don't know. I could put essays of negativity on my POF, but I don't.

And before anyone asks, I'm just on there on the off chance I find a friend :p

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Not to beat a dead horse, but this is what we say work on yourself.
You mean you. I don't know whether it's a poorly executed attempt to help or makes you feel good to criticize someone else, but once again, you're extrapolating something I've said or done as a meaningful flaw of character.
This is not a healthy mindset and no one will want to be near you if that's how you react to things. Like what she put isn't even bad and yet you reacted that angrily and that harshly to it. You have to review how you think about things and improve it because that's not the way to act.

Also, a lot of dating is you have to let them process you wrong at times for lack of better wording. You've never even interacted with that woman and look how much you've already assigned against her. Does that seem fair?
See, just as before you're making false assumptions. I acted positively to her description, even if I did question it's authenticity (we all should to a degree). She responded to my message asking her about what she was interested in discussing. I shared my thoughts without a reply.

If you want to criticize my approach, message, profile, etc. sure, but lighten up. I can vent here like everyone else.

You mean you. I don't know whether it's a poorly executed attempt to help or makes you feel good to criticize someone else, but once again, you're extrapolating something I've said or done as a meaningful flaw of character.

See, just as before you're making false assumptions. I acted positively to her description, even if I did question it's authenticity (we all should to a degree). She responded to my message asking her about what she was interested in discussing. I shared my thoughts without a reply.

If you want to criticize my approach, message, profile, etc. sure, but lighten up. I can vent here like everyone else.
You're right, I'm literally the only one who commented it was negative and a bad mindset.

Also, knock off the childish browbeating that I get off on supposedly talking down to you. I insinuated no such thing in my post, the only one twisting words is you.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Why exactly do people put negative stuff on their profile? I don't get it. Just saw a "will you be the brave one to date a piece of shit like me?" and it's like...no thanks?

I just don't know. I could put essays of negativity on my POF, but I don't.

And before anyone asks, I'm just on there on the off chance I find a friend :p

i love the ones who say they can be a bitch if they want to be or whatever

AcridMeat

Banned
i love the ones who say they can be a bitch if they want to be or whatever
9de559fc0c677c64583cc282678e9161.gif

Nyx

After 4 weeks of online dating I have to say, the TT is spot on.

Is it really that hard to reply to a message? Even if it's ''sorry, not interested''?

Man...

After 4 weeks of online dating I have to say, the TT is spot on.

Is it really that hard to reply to a message? Even if it's ''sorry, not interested''?

Man...

Depends how many messages you get a day, why waste time replying to someone you're not interested in? Plus some people don't take too kindly to those sorts of replies so it's generally not worth it.

Nyx

Depends how many messages you get a day, why waste time replying to someone you're not interested in? Plus some people don't take too kindly to those sorts of replies so it's generally not worth it.

If I send a message and don't get a reply I'm not going to ask for one if that's what you mean with your last bit.

But for me it's common decency to at least send a reply, but hey, maybe I'm too decent. ;-)

If I send a message and don't get a reply I'm not going to ask for one if that's what you mean with your last bit.

But for me it's common decency to at least send a reply, but hey, maybe I'm too decent. ;-)
No, she means most people don't respond well to being told no.

cabot

Said like a man who doesn't understand the sheer scale of messages the majority of women receive on online dating sites !

So are Christian girls immediately turned off by agnostics/atheists if we're not douchey about it?

Found some great ladies that in their top 6 things they list "our Lord and savior" and all I think about it is "Well here I almost messaged them"

Top Bottom