• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

Super hot Latina just asked me out after a brief exchange of messages. "Well, I'd like to meet soon. My name's Jessica. Here's my number." God, it's great to deal with someone direct. Will set up something for this week: it's great to cut through the bullshit and just see if we'd click at all.

(The Martian girl hasn't contacted me in over a week, and I doubt she will. We definitely had chemistry, but I think the timing was poor. Vaguely bummed about that.)

Also messaging another gorgeous girl who mentioned she's a HP fan. This question works every time: "What are your two favorite characters? There's only one correct answer."
The answer is Neville and Luna, or preferably Neville x Luna.

Leeness

You took it the right way. Not once, not ever, do I comment on physical appearance in a message. It's implied that I think the person's attractive, otherwise I wouldn't be sending a message in the first place.

On the bright side, on the scale of stupid and offensive comments, that's relatively benign. Then again, when you basically say "it could've been worse" -- and I'm sure you've gotten worse -- the bar's so low.

My ex told me this much: the fact that you're not offering an unsolicited dick pic already puts you leagues ahead of everyone else. I really wish there were a way to work on the signal to noise ratio on online dating.

I don't know why, but it offended me more than the dumb ones, which usually make me laugh.

For example, just got a "hey bab i have a huge cok i promis". I PROMISE lmao

Endearing? No way. It sounds like the guy learned a little pick-up artist trick called Negging, where you use insults to lower a girl's self-confidence so that she'll go out with you.

YES, that's what I thought when I saw it!

@Leeness

That guy is an idiot and you should definitely feel insulted. But don't. Pity him instead, because he's clearly socially incompetent judging by his message to you.

I know, I mostly do. It was just also insulting. :( I actually replied with a "how fucking rude", because it annoyed me so much. I know I shouldn't have said anything, but :|

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Super hot Latina just asked me out after a brief exchange of messages. "Well, I'd like to meet soon. My name's Jessica. Here's my number." God, it's great to deal with someone direct. Will set up something for this week: it's great to cut through the bullshit and just see if we'd click at all.

(The Martian girl hasn't contacted me in over a week, and I doubt she will. We definitely had chemistry, but I think the timing was poor. Vaguely bummed about that.)

Also messaging another gorgeous girl who mentioned she's a HP fan. This question works every time: "What are your two favorite characters? There's only one correct answer."
The answer is Neville and Luna, or preferably Neville x Luna.

That line works on a lot of different likes. First time I tried it was with a girl who was a big fan of stand-up. I feel like I should be using it more given my success with it.

Assanova

Had a pretty great date tonight. I also closed my POF account yesterday. Two or three more dates to go before I start narrowing the field. Definitely getting date fatigue and am ready to just pick someone to be with. I am so burned out on meeting new girls and going through the motions.

RedRum

Banned
Meeting some great people on Match. A lot of talking though. It makes me that that I won't have anything to talk about, learn about, when we spend a lot of time writing back and forth so much.

Supast4r

Hello Online Gaf! Since I live in a small town, I'm between jobs and most of the women that I'm attracted to either live in different states are in grad school etc. I have decided to try this online dating thing. What are some good sites/apps?

Jokab

Hello Online Gaf! Since I live in a small town, I'm between jobs and most of the women that I'm attracted to either live in different states are in grad school etc. I have decided to try this online dating thing. What are some good sites/apps?

I hate to be snarky but you can start by reading the OP, as is the case with most megathreads on GAF.

gaiages

Banned

Well, Tinder would prolly work, like you yourself stated in the other thread... But also, like Jokab said, the OP has a ton of info to get you started, and you can always ask more detailed/specific questions here :)

I will ask something though, you're in between jobs? When do you plan on getting a new one? Who do you live with?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I don't know why, but it offended me more than the dumb ones, which usually make me laugh.

For example, just got a "hey bab i have a huge cok i promis". I PROMISE lmao

oh you got my message, why didnt you reply :'(

But seriously, I just don't understand what purpose insulting someone has in an online dating context, especially the more formal sites like OKC. Teasing and that sort of thing, yes it makes sense and is fun in person (but not negging, fuck that) but what does anyone expect to achieve by referencing boobs in such a way? It is just weird.

Assanova

For those who are interested, Match has a free 7 day trial. Just use the code "Free" and it should work. Match still emails you when people are interested or send you a message, so I used it to look at a few notifications that I receieved after I let my subscription expire. Just cancel before the trial expires and you should be fine.

Jokab

Gaf, Beard or No Beard? http://imgur.com/a/PsMfm . Trying it out, leaning towards a neatly trimmed short-ish beard (not going full hipster), but would like some outside opinions. Feel too baby-faced without. Thoughts?

I'm usually in #TeamBeard, but this one is hard. I'd say go with whatever you want. Though I do see more women saying "I like a guy with beard" than "I like a guy without a beard". So you might score more points just by having a beard.

I think the first girl is getting cold feet. First she was tired from work on Saturday, said she wanted to do it Monday night. I actually haven't bothered texting her today, because I have a feeling she doesn't want to go out.

I dunno. I mean I was upfront with her about my living situation. She didn't seem turned off about it. Then again, I don't feel very confident about my living situation, either. Heck, I don't have my own car anymore. Kinda pathetic, but with my useless degree and helping with the bills to take care of my mother has been dragging on for waaay too long.

Second girl wants to do something on a weekend, but again, my shitty retail schedule prevents that since I always close. I told her I can possibly get someone to cover my shift.

I dunno, if I do something with this second girl, I'm not going to her I live with my mother via text. I'd tell her in person.

This sucks. =\

Palpable

Y'all are lucky, I can't even grow a full beard.

I think the first girl is getting cold feet. First she was tired from work on Saturday, said she wanted to do it Monday night. I actually haven't bothered texting her today, because I have a feeling she doesn't want to go out.

I dunno. I mean I was upfront with her about my living situation. She didn't seem turned off about it. Then again, I don't feel very confident about my living situation, either. Heck, I don't have my own car anymore. Kinda pathetic, but with my useless degree and helping with the bills to take care of my mother has been dragging on for waaay too long.

Second girl wants to do something on a weekend, but again, my shitty retail schedule prevents that since I always close. I told her I can possibly get someone to cover my shift.

I dunno, if I do something with this second girl, I'm not going to her I live with my mother via text. I'd tell her in person.

This sucks. =\

Why do you even need to tell them this? Just keep it to yourself and only let them know once they inquire about it. You coming out and just saying something like, "oh btw, my current living situation is kinda crappy and I live at home with my mom", simply isn't necessary. Just leave it alone unless they ask. If they do, then be honest and say you're living with your mom to help take care of her and save up some money. No shame in that.

This sucks. =\

It's all about viewpoint here. I realize that your situation sucks, and that it's not objectively going to improve until you do secure other employment, but there's one simple thing you can do that'll provide a positive jolt to your situation right now: you're proud of the fact that you're taking care of a family member who needs you.

That's better than pitching it as "I work retail and live with my mom because I can't afford to do otherwise," at least.

It's all about viewpoint here. I realize that your situation sucks, and that it's not objectively going to improve until you do secure other employment, but there's one simple thing you can do that'll provide a positive jolt to your situation right now: you're proud of the fact that you're taking care of a family member who needs you.

That's better than pitching it as "I work retail and live with my mom because I can't afford to do otherwise," at least.

Why do you even need to tell them this? Just keep it to yourself and only let them know once they inquire about it. You coming out and just saying something like, "oh btw, my current living situation is kinda crappy and I live at home with my mom", simply isn't necessary. Just leave it alone unless they ask. If they do, then be honest and say you're living with your mom to help take care of her and save up some money. No shame in that.

Well, I just want to be upfront before meeting the person. That's all. Get everything out before any surprises. I dunno.

First girl gave me her number first, and she asked if I wanted to hang out. Of course I was going to ask her out myself, but I was just preparing myself on telling her about my living situation.

After she asked me out, I said, "That'd be great. But there's something you need to know about me. As I mentioned about my uslesss degree earlier, I haven't been able to find a career yet, and at the same time, I'm currently living with my mother helping with her with the bills, because she was diagnosed with arthritis a couple years ago. If you prefer a guy who's independent, or do not find that attractive, then that's fine. Just let me know. You're not going to hurt my feelings, and you wouldn't be the first girl."

She replied back saying she's not a materialistic girl, and it'd be nice if I was independent, but shouldn't really be a deal breaker. I said cool and I'll figure out someplace we could go.

Then I texted her Saturday morning saying the weather should be perfect, and didn't hear anything back for hours. I texted her one more time saying if she was getting cold feet, then I'd understand, and we've all been there. She finally texted me back saying she was just really busy at work, and that she really wanted to see me, and wondered if we could rescheduled for Monday. I said absolutely.

I mean, maybe I'm being stupid for not texting her now asking if we're still going out, but eh, whatever. Like I said, I think she got cold feet.

It'd be nice to be in a relationship again, but I just signed up for Tinder to "Netflix and chill." I really can't seem to find anyone like that surprisingly, and I'm decent looking, tall, lean, and muscular.

Palpable

Well, I just want to be upfront before meeting the person. That's all. Get everything out before any surprises. I dunno.

First girl gave me her number first, and she asked if I wanted to hang out. Of course I was going to ask her out myself, but I was just preparing myself on telling her about my living situation.

After she asked me out, I said, "That'd be great. But there's something you need to know about me. As I mentioned about my uslesss degree earlier, I haven't been able to find a career yet, and at the same time, I'm currently living with my mother helping with her with the bills, because she was diagnosed with arthritis a couple years ago. If you prefer a guy who's independent, or do not find that attractive, then that's fine. Just let me know. You're not going to hurt my feelings, and you wouldn't be the first girl."

She replied back saying she's not a materialistic girl, and it'd be nice if I was independent, but shouldn't really be a deal breaker. I said cool and I'll figure out someplace we could go.

Then I texted her Saturday morning saying the weather should be perfect, and didn't hear anything back for hours. I texted her one more time saying if she was getting cold feet, then I'd understand, and we've all been there. She finally texted me back saying she was just really busy at work, and that she really wanted to see me, and wondered if we could rescheduled for Monday. I said absolutely.

I mean, maybe I'm being stupid for not texting her now asking if we're still going out, but eh, whatever. Like I said, I think she got cold feet.

I'll tell you right now that what you said to her comes off as fucking weird. Don't toss everything out like that before you even get to know the woman. Let her inquire and figure it out herself. She could find your situation to be very unattractive, but if she meets you and finds everything else about YOU attractive, then the living situation can easily be overlooked. If you air that shit out to her in the beginning, then you're screwing yourself from the start. Be mysterious and let women find out things about you on their own. No sense in spoiling the good and the bad from the get go.

It'd be nice to be in a relationship again, but I just signed up for Tinder to "Netflix and chill." I really can't seem to find anyone like that surprisingly, and I'm decent looking, tall, lean, and muscular.

That's hot. Need pics for 'fun in the bathroom' later.

I mean, she's 35 and I'm 33. She seemed to be pretty mature about it. We just shared a lot of the same hobbies. She even likes the Bourne films!

As for the shirtless pics, I've posted plenty throughout different threads on GAF.

EDIT-First girl just texted me asking how am I doing right now. LOL. I think I'm going to just say I'm not feeling it, and would rather be friends if she'd like. Yeah, she's cute and we share hobbies, but the other girl I'm liking more, and she's younger than me.

EDITx2-So I texted her saying I was going to text her earlier in the day, but felt she was having second doubts again. I told her I don't know where this is going, but if you prefer to be friends, I'm down with that. Always looking for more friends. She said she thought I was getting cold feet, too. She said she's going to Puerto Rico, and that we should hang out when she comes back. I said absolutely.

Palpable

I mean, she's 35 and I'm 33. She seemed to be pretty mature about it. We just shared a lot of the same hobbies. She even likes the Bourne films!

As for the shirtless pics, I've posted plenty throughout different threads on GAF.

EDIT-First girl just texted me asking how am I doing right now. LOL. I think I'm going to just say I'm not feeling it, and would rather be friends if she'd like. Yeah, she's cute and we share hobbies, but the other girl I'm liking more, and she's younger than me.

I'm just saying that, in general, it's weird and you probably shouldn't do it. Also, a lot of girls like the Bourne films.

What if things with the 2nd girl fall through? It's best not to completely brush off the 1st girl in case you may want to date her later on.

Dude, seriously? Congrats on digging a hole for yourself.

"That'd be great! But there's something you need to know about me. My mother was diagnosed with a chronic illness a couple years ago, and she asked me to move back in to help take care of her. I owe that to her, and it's something I've got to do until her care situation changes or I shift careers."

Boom.

Don't say your degree's worthless. Don't say you have no career (yes, it's fine to say that you're constantly searching for other opportunities). Don't say you're not independent. Don't say that other girls find you unattractive. Don't imply that other girls hurt your feelings.

Anyway, everyone has baggage -- you don't need to dump it on someone immediately.

Second girl is in a similar situation like me, though like I said earlier, I haven't told her about my living situation. She moved down from CT, because she has family down here in Florida helping to take care of her ill sister who's getting better. She wants to be a nurse to further help her sister, so there's something we both kinda have in common.

I'll take your advices from you two on wording. God, I NEVER had this problem back when I lived on my own with my roommates. Roommates and all split in 2009, I figured I go back to college to finish my degree, and two years moving in with mother wouldn't be bad, but HOLY SHIT I had no idea I wouldn't find a career by now, and I'd still be living with her. Then she gets diagnosed with arthritis, and that's double whammy.

gaiages

Banned
Y'all are lucky, I can't even grow a full beard.

Actually, the older you get, the more that stuff matters to people. When you're getting in your late 20s/early 30s, most people want others that seem to have their life together--own apartment, career-like job, stuff like that. Even if he doesn't bring it up, he'll likely be asked. I'm not saying that Jason is not doing right by living with his mom and helping with the bills (it's admirable imo), but that is a turn-off for many people, and he must be prepared for that.

But, Jason...

Yeesh. No. Don't do that again. Helping your mom is great--the sheer negativity that exudes from this message is not. Frankly, I'm not surprised she's having second thoughts after this, you seriously come off as a depressing and un-fun person to be around from that.

Second girl is in a similar situation like me, though like I said earlier, I haven't told her about my living situation. She moved down from CT, because she has family down here in Florida helping to take care of her ill sister who's getting better. She wants to be a nurse to further help her sister, so there's something we both kinda have in common.

I'll take your advices from you two on wording. God, I NEVER had this problem back when I lived on my own with my roommates. Roommates and all split in 2009, I figured I go back to college to finish my degree, and two years moving in with mother wouldn't be bad, but HOLY SHIT I had no idea I wouldn't find a career by now, and I'd still be living with her. Then she gets diagnosed with arthritis, and that's double whammy.

Well back in 2009... that was six years ago, almost seven. You were younger then. As people grow older their standards change, for better and for worse.

Also, I'm a little confused. She's been diagnosed with arthritis? Is it a severe form? Many, many people have arthritis and are able to work/live with only a little discomfort. If it's bad, that's understandable, but you might want to specify and say 'a severe case of arthritis', as most people would think arthritis isn't really that bad. I be no means saying that your mom doesn't have it bad and doesn't need help, but your lack of elaboration on that may be sending the wrong message to people.

I'm not sure how severe it is. Her hands and feet hurt most of the times? Like, she can't untwist a lot of things or pick up heavy items. Sometimes she's limping when she walks. I'd think she can do some kind of work? She doesn't want to take any pills due to side effects.

I'm not sure how severe it is. Her hands and feet hurt most of the times? Like, she can't untwist a lot of things or pick up heavy items. Sometimes she's limping when she walks. I'd think she can do some kind of work? She doesn't want to take any pills due to side effects.

It kind of sounds like she needs an actual medical opinion as to what she's capable of doing. Her plan has to incorporate you at this point too, you know? Does she expect you to be her primary caregiver when ... well, she refuses pills, presumably some treatment, and has trouble twisting things? I'm not disputing that she has a physical ailment, but the whole "doesn't want to take any pills due to side effects" is so fucking bonkers: different treatments have different side effects.

Well, she's never been like that when it comes to prescriptions. I'm kinda like that, too, with all the scary side effects out there.

Nevertheless, I still wouldn't be able to afford to live out on my own to be honest with you.

I asked the first girl if she's ever seen American Psycho, and she didn't reply back, LOL. But I think she hit the sack.

Llyranor

I texted her one more time saying if she was getting cold feet, then I'd understand
So I texted her saying I was going to text her earlier in the day, but felt she was having second doubts again. I told her I don't know where this is going, but if you prefer to be friends, I'm down with that.
I dunno, it almost sounds like you're trying to sabotage yourself. As in, you don't feel like you're good enough for her because of your situation, so you imagine she must be feeling the same thing (despite her reassurances of the contrary multiple times - which she wouldn't bother doing if she simply wasn't interested anymore)

I mean, go through the sequence of those quoted texts. It's not too late too back from dating me, it could be the biggest mistake of your life! Are you sure? I'm giving you one more chance to bail out!! Are you sure you don't want to friendzone me?! You're potentially planting more and more seeds of doubt into her mind. This is classic self-sabotage.

gaiages

Banned
My apologies for getting off topic, but has your mom even tried aspirin/Tylenol that's made specifically for those with arthritis pain? Maybe that'll help her out a bit, and alleviate some pain :) If it doesn't help, though... :(

Also Llyranor is totally right, you completely sabotaged yourself there.

friday

A girl I was excited to meet up with had to cancel on me for a second time. Her excuse could be legit, but it's annoying. I told her I had no problem rescheduling, but to let me know what day would work for her. Lets see if she text me back, I kinda doubt it.

I have a lot of matches on tinder right now, but none of them messaged me back. Oh well, I will set this shit on the back burner for the rest of the week.

Jokab

On a similar topic as above: when a girl says "I can't this week but probably sometime next" or "I don't know when I can", how should I respond to this? Initially I always take this as a lack of interest, but not enough for me to drop it completely.

Just saying "okay let me know when you're available" feels a bit "submissive" so to speak. Just saying "okay!" or something seems too disinterested. Is perhaps countering with when I'm available myself the best way, because it makes me seem not that available? Am I thinking too hard about this?

jimmypython

I've never kissed a girl on a first date, ever. I'm pretty damn shy with that. Besides, this girl I'm meeting up with on Tuesday straight up told me (we agreed on this, actually) that we'd be meeting as friends and seeing where it goes from there. Nothing like a "date" per-say. So I don't think leaning in for a kiss is necessary/appropriate.

I had a "let's go in as friends first" typa "date" yesterday.......my take away is anything could happen if you know what you want and be confident (and of course respectful).

because we ended up in bed..... lol

friday

Said girl texted me back, said she was sorry, but that sometime this weekend would work. I said I will text her on Thursday to work out a plan. We shall see.

Palpable

I had a "let's go in as friends first" typa "date" yesterday.......my take away is anything could happen if you know what you want and be confident (and of course respectful).

because we ended up in bed..... lol

This is a good story. Glad it went well for you. Mine is tonight. 5 hours. I'm quite nervous.

Palpable

Fucking sucks that's not something you can just turn off. You know it doesn't help to be (nervous).

Best of luck though, just try to enjoy it.

Yeah, it sucks pretty hard. As I've gotten older, I've been better at curbing it in the moment, but it still trips me up from time to time. Communication (public speaking) class got me insanely nervous. My dad even gave me some beta blockers (slows your heart rate) to help with the nervousness, jitters, butterflies, etc. Just thinking about tonight has me jittery.

Thanks, I'm hoping it goes well.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Continuing to talk to people - through work, through volunteering, through dating is a really good way to curb some of those nerves in the long term. You are better able and more comfortable confronting different types of social situations. It won't kill all the nerves, but that is good. The butterflies, the surprises, they are part of the fun.

JDHarbs

So I logged back in to okc after taking a few months off from it just to update my profile and I found a girl who was completely the type I was looking for. We had a lot in common and we started messaging each other for a few days. Everything was going well so I decided to ask her out. I get no response for a couple of days and today I discovered that she had disabled her account.

Sucks. She did kind of seem too perfect though.

Palpable

So I logged back in to okc after taking a few months off from it just to update my profile and I found a girl who was completely the type I was looking for. We had a lot in common and we started messaging each other for a few days. Everything was going well so I decided to ask her out. I get no response for a couple of days and today I discovered that she had disabled her account.

Sucks. She did kind of seem too perfect though.

Never use this word in the dating world

Palpable

Just getting to my car from the meet. Mildly unsure what to think. Or rather, what she thinks. She's really cool & we talked a lot about a bunch of stuff. She's pretty funny & I also made her laugh a lot. Maybe I was too nervous to tell? Body language wise she was crossarmed at first, but as the night went on, she got way more relaxed. I'd certainly like to see her again & she said she had a good time (of course this could be her being nice). I paid for the meals & she didn't say a word about it, so that much was easy at least!

M52B28

Banned
This girl constantly views my profile.

She's cute, but I think she's only on the site to mess with guys. Her whole profile seems like a big joke, so I'm mainly just messing around with her.

Me sounding like an incoherent moron through text:

Me: "We should definitely like go out or something."

Her: "Why."

I'm going to respond with something funny and true about her profile. Wouldn't mind going out with her as a friend.

Jhoan

Been a while since I poked my head in here but I have been lurking. Took a small break from going out with girls---despite messaging girls sporadically---to focus on personal stuff going on that I stopped replying to messages.

Last Thursday while volunteering at an event, I got hammered on free drinks and proceeded to go on a OKC messaging streak after I got home by copying and pasting the same message (hamster sized rhino or rhino sized hamster FYI). Got a couple of replies Suffice to say, I'm meeting up with a 30 year old feminist musical theatre writer who is bisexual/heteroflexible and describes herself as a nerd and is a non-practicing vegetarian tomorrow at a Starbucks before going off to meet up with a good friend for the Back To The Future II panel. If I'm not feeling the girl, I'll shoot him a message a bit earlier than our meeting time to bail out.

If this sounds familiar, then it's because the Mexican girl a messed around with back in August was also a feminist/heteroflexible/vegan. It's not a turn off for me but it's interesting to notice that. I'm feeling okay going into it since she looks a little bit like Hilary Swank which is neither a good thing nor a bad thing. I'm not going to expect anything out of it because my desire to go out with women this month has waned since I spent so much money during New York Comic Con weekend (although selling stuff on eBay has helped recuperate some money).

Plus I've been realizing that volunteering has been such an easy way to meet women; I'll be volunteering at a beer festival next weekend and going to a Halloween party after my shift ends so never a dull moment. If I play my cards right, then I might just get lucky. :D

I'll also be meeting up with a girl strictly as friends since that's what she wanted and what I'm looking for some time next week to talk comics and what have you. It'll be nice to gain a cool female friend because it's been hard to do so otherwise.

I think I'm gonna take another break from dating in November to focus on more personal goals. It feels nice knowing that I don't feel pressured to respond to messages for days at a time if I'm busy or don't feel like responding right away.Going back to Tinder would be a good avenue if I always want to jump into bed with girls but I'm enjoying OKC's slower pace since I'm not overwhelmed. I learned a lot of lessons from last year that I'm not repeating although messaging girls while hammered isn't one of them! xD

gaiages

Banned
Just getting to my car from the meet. Mildly unsure what to think. Or rather, what she thinks. She's really cool & we talked a lot about a bunch of stuff. She's pretty funny & I also made her laugh a lot. Maybe I was too nervous to tell? Body language wise she was crossarmed at first, but as the night went on, she got way more relaxed. I'd certainly like to see her again & she said she had a good time (of course this could be her being nice). I paid for the meals & she didn't say a word about it, so that much was easy at least!

Why did you pay for the meals when you were meeting as friends? :(

But hey, if you think it went well (or even if you didn't), might as well try to set up a second meet up (or... an actual date this time) and she what she says.

Llyranor

You're glad she made it easy for you to pay for her? I also get the impression you didn't make your intentions clear. So what now?

This girl constantly views my profile.

She's cute, but I think she's only on the site to mess with guys. Her whole profile seems like a big joke, so I'm mainly just messing around with her.

Me sounding like an incoherent moron through text:

Me: "We should definitely like go out or something."

Her: "Why."

I'm going to respond with something funny and true about her profile. Wouldn't mind going out with her as a friend.
Girl you think is only on the site to mess with guys

Responds with lame one-word answers

You want to go out with her as a friend

....what?

Top Bottom