• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

beat

Hey, anyone in the SF area want a referral link to a new site (Project Fixup) where they just make matches for you, no profile browsing required from your end? It costs $20 a meetup, first one's free and/or you get a free one by signing up via the referral, and so would I. If so, PM me.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Anyone else decide they're just going to take a break? In the past few months, I've gone out with 10-15 girls of all types. Some I really liked, some I didn't really feel a connection. Didn't get past a 3rd date with any of them. I feel so exhausted and defeated. I think I just need to take a break, focus on work, hang out with friends, and hitting the gym

Yeah same. Feel like I need to take a break to recharge/not let it get stale. Another second date tomorrow and after that gonna take time off if it doesn't work out.

Link0080

Alright guys, I've finally decided to try and get back out there after many years so I made an OKCupid account. Any critiques? Btw, that's the only picture I have =/

Alright guys, I've finally decided to try and get back out there after many years so I made an OKCupid account. Any critiques? Btw, that's the only picture I have =/

Take more pics!!!! Girls might think that's your daughter and might be turned off :(

And you're suffering from the same problem I have. Spice up your profile a bit more.

Something I wanted to chime in on. I read somewhere that if a girl visits your profile (on her own accord) and doesn't message you, if you message back saying "Way to check out my profile and not say hi!" or something like that, then you'll usually get a higher response rate.

Well I just tried this out and I'm 1/1.

Something I wanted to chime in on. I read somewhere that if a girl visits your profile (on her own accord) and doesn't message you, if you message back saying "Way to check out my profile and not say hi!" or something like that, then you'll usually get a higher response rate.

I prefer the passive-aggressive approach of visiting their profile, then waiting until they re-visit mine so I can re-visit theirs.

Then I send a "are we just going to keep visiting each other's profiles without saying anything?" and never hear back.

E92 M3

I prefer the passive-aggressive approach of visiting their profile, then waiting until they re-visit mine so I can re-visit theirs.

Then I send a "are we just going to keep visiting each other's profiles without saying anything?" and never hear back.

Lol - such tactics.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

Funnily enough someone is doing that to me now. I don't know if I want to message her though lol.

SRG01

Haha, I keep doing this because I keep forgetting which profiles I've visited...

y2dvd

It works. In fact, I'm going out in a date with someone this Sunday because of this exact occurrence. I think I visited first and forgot about it. She visits and no message and I send a message of "Visits and doesn't say 'hi'. How rude!" And it just went from there.

Rizzi

I made a POF account. Never done this before etc. I know getting ignored isn't that big a deal and all, but still it feels pretty bad.

Smiley90

Looking through it, you should be more careful with your punctuation. I worked in a law office before, and some of those typos are seriously unforgivable.

Besides for food and hockey, what other things are you passionate about?

given that he's a leafs fan, I'm gonna say BDSM

congratz on not getting perma'd as a junior :lol

SRG01

Looking through it, you should be more careful with your punctuation. I worked in a law office before, and some of those typos are seriously unforgivable.

Yay, you're back! Our regular crowd is whole again!

Is this appropriate to put on my tinder profile?
C25681CE-D687-4F46-86C3-2931683CF35E_zpssajslqqv.jpg

Kyne

Little update on my new lady friend (this was the girl I messaged two weeks back with like a 95% match rate) .. Things are going well! As of last night we became "exclusive" and I feel like there could really be something here.

She's beautiful, funny, works in the gaming industry, loves food/games/comics/anime/cosplay... not sure how I lucked out so nicely.

This was also the first (and only) girl I ever messaged on okcupid. Yeah... really lucked out.

Haha yeah I did type up my profile rather quickly because I wanted to get on searching. But yeah I'll probably start fixing everything up when I get home from work.

Should I just throw in a list of things I like or should I explain things that I like the most?

Me: I noticed you visited my profile and didn't say hi.
Her: lol I didn't even know.

:(

It works :p

Kyne

Congratulations. She sounds like quite a catch. Good luck and have fun!

(You did seem like you lucked out, because... FIRST AND ONLY MESSAGE?! AND YOU GOT A PERSON?! O_O.)

I KNOW. I'm so psyched. I had a chat with her on how she filters out guys who message her. It was interesting to hear how I made the cut.

Welcome back by the way. :p

davepoobond

Me: I noticed you visited my profile and didn't say hi.
Her: lol I didn't even know.

:(

I'm going to try this and see what happens. Lul.

Edit: lol. First person I tried this on I was already blocked by them couldn't even send the message. Guess they just block everyone they don't like

Kyne

Thanks. How DID you make the cut? What did she say?

I thoroughly looked through her profile for something that I was genuinely interested in. It happened to be the soundtrack to one of her favorite listed movies; turns out (even though she didn't list it) it was also one of her favorite soundtracks.

After the first hurdle of getting her to actually reply it was smooth sailing. We already had tons in common.

The exact message for those curious:
"Wasn't the (movie title) soundtrack amazing?"

Keep it simple. Keep it clean. Keep it personal. That was her advice when we talked about it later.

Smiley90

I thoroughly looked through her profile for something that I was genuinely interested in. It happened to be the soundtrack to one of her favorite listed movies; turns out (even though she didn't list it) it was also one of her favorite soundtracks.

After the first hurdle of getting her to actually reply it was smooth sailing. We already had tons in common.

The exact message for those curious:
"Wasn't the (movie title) soundtrack amazing?"

Keep it simple. Keep it clean. Keep it personal. That was her advice when we talked about it later.

That's a decent first message. Not great, but decent. You lucked out for sure, congratz! Nobody here should think that 1/1 is the norm, not for a message back, nor a date, and for sure not for a relationship. But woo for you!

Jhoan

Poor guy. It's a hard knock life being on Tinder sometimes. I lol'ed as soon as I saw his picture; he isn't a much of a stud. The article got it on the nose about pics being everything. Maybe he isn't photogenic or his pics probably suck. I can easily take a bunch of pics of myself using my camera's self timer and I come out looking photogenic in every one of them. Regardless, he's gonna be making the big bucks in the end of the day.

SRG01

So yeah, I'm talking to a girl on Match these days. Not sure how I feel about it, but we're having coffee sometime next week.

Sometimes I wonder if it's because I'm 30 that I don't get many dates anymore ;_;

davepoobond

well, my result from "I noticed you visited my profile and didn't say hi" is 1 no response, and the other was angry and said "I sure didn't."

i did message that person back and forth a couple times, but seems like they lost interest. they mentioned ICP on their profile, though, so i probably dodged a bullet anyway.

gugi40

Hello again ODGaf,

I have a question for everyone in here hoping to have some insight on the question I am asking. I know I have probably asked this before..and I know all of you are experiencing this as well.
So my question is:
Have you been speaking to a boy/girl and they share your interests, seem pretty interested in you, and even go as far as to request a date and going into detail about the date they set up..then the day comes up and you ask where to meet up and at what time and they just never respond....what the fuck is up with this shit?

It never used to happen to me before when I was doing the whole internet dating thing four or so years ago, but it is so frequent now and I find it really weird. I can understand that maybe someone better looking came along, or maybe the just kind of lost interest...but how about you don't set up a date or add me on fb or give me your number..I would appreciate a lie even, saying you can't go out anymore because of reasons. I hate getting ready and waiting on someone to respond.

PLZ RESPOND.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So yeah, I'm talking to a girl on Match these days. Not sure how I feel about it, but we're having coffee sometime next week.

Sometimes I wonder if it's because I'm 30 that I don't get many dates anymore ;_;

oh god please don't say that

Sketchbag

Banned
Hello again ODGaf,

I have a question for everyone in here hoping to have some insight on the question I am asking. I know I have probably asked this before..and I know all of you are experiencing this as well.
So my question is:
Have you been speaking to a boy/girl and they share your interests, seem pretty interested in you, and even go as far as to request a date and going into detail about the date they set up..then the day comes up and you ask where to meet up and at what time and they just never respond....what the fuck is up with this shit?

It never used to happen to me before when I was doing the whole internet dating thing four or so years ago, but it is so frequent now and I find it really weird. I can understand that maybe someone better looking came along, or maybe the just kind of lost interest...but how about you don't set up a date or add me on fb or give me your number..I would appreciate a lie even, saying you can't go out anymore because of reasons. I hate getting ready and waiting on someone to respond.

PLZ RESPOND.

I've had that happen to me too. Waited at the train for about half an hour then bailed.

People flake. Just happens. If they don't want to give a reason that's their choice but setting it all up and not even leaving a message is douchebag territory.

gugi40

I've had that happen to me too. Waited at the train for about half an hour then bailed.

People flake. Just happens. If they don't want to give a reason that's their choice but setting it all up and not even leaving a message is douchebag territory.

It happens a lot, I am fine when people are just messaging me then suddenly stop because then I just move on and see the next person, but where I have problems with this flake shit is when they make me waste time getting ready and then just...disappear, and even worse is when they go poof and then come back a week later with a "hey whats up?". FACK OFF.

To me, it seems like this has been getting worse...a trend in the online dating scene or something.

Sketchbag

Banned
It happens a lot, I am fine when people are just messaging me then suddenly stop because then I just move on and see the next person, but where I have problems with this flake shit is when they make me waste time getting ready and then just...disappear, and even worse is when they go poof and then come back a week later with a "hey whats up?". FACK OFF.

To me, it seems like this has been getting worse...a trend in the online dating scene or something.

There probably isn't a definitive reason why people do that, but still a bad thing to do. It is much worse for woman as they do on average take longer to get ready.

gugi40

There probably isn't a definitive reason why people do that, but still a bad thing to do. It is much worse for woman as they do on average take longer to get ready.

It is, thank you for knowing that.

Almost an hour to look impressive only to stay home and play Animal Crossing.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Hello again ODGaf,

So my question is:

PLZ RESPOND.

Don't feel too bad. That's happened to me a couple of times as well. One chick was really weird in that she disappeared on the day we were supposed to meet, contacted me again like 2 weeks later, apologized and wanted to meet up again, only to once again, disappear.

It's annoying as fuck, but not uncommon.

gugi40

Don't feel too bad. That's happened to me a couple of times as well. One chick was really weird in that she disappeared on the day we were supposed to meet, contacted me again like 2 weeks later, apologized and wanted to meet up again, only to once again, disappear.

It's annoying as fuck, but not uncommon.

God it makes no sense, I understand flaking for girls (to a certain extent) because letting a guy down is the scariest thing ever. I have been harassed to all hell because I very nicely told a guy I didn't want to start a relationship yet (In reality he was just repulsive in his actions and mentality). It honestly surprises me when a guy is nice about it.

The flake stuff makes me want to give up.

Hey. That does not sound like a ruined evening.

Well when you owe that chubby raccoon 425,000 dollars, there is a lot of Sea bass that kill my night.

Sketchbag

Banned
God it makes no sense, I understand flaking for girls (to a certain extent) because letting a guy down is the scariest thing ever. I have been harassed to all hell because I very nicely told a guy I didn't want to start a relationship yet (In reality he was just repulsive in his actions and mentality). It honestly surprises me when a guy is nice about it.

The flake stuff makes me want to give up.

Don't give up! The good ones don't flake. You'll make it.

Well when you owe that chubby raccoon 425,000 dollars, there is a lot of Sea bass that kill my night.

Well then. I would have restarted.

Top Bottom