• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

SRG01

Well, it seems those with the mindset of, "Dating sucks!" and "Gah! I hate the numbers game and all that!" tend to create their own misery. It's dating. Just have fun. Your poor attitude isn't hidden that well. You're not Daniel Day Lewis. I have fun with my dates and being kind in general and it's worked out well for me so far. Then again, I'm not really looking for a relationship more friends and see what happens type thing, but the point still stands: don't be a downer, have a positive attitude about it and you won't be bitter and asking why things aren't working out or why they don't respond to my long messages.

But those things aren't mutually exclusive...?

I'm not sure what your point is, exactly. No one really said that you can't have fun on a date. Acknowledging that dating is hard doesn't take away from that at all.

Nobody thinks that's a bit weird? 4 messages in the space of an hour?

Not to mention I've never dated and am nearly 30. Because I've never had a social life, or travelled, or done much of anything, I am worried she will find me completely uninteresting. And a loser. She keeps saying in her messages that she's meeting other men and she's not 'feeling a spark' despite them being 'nice guys'. If other men aren't measuring up to her standards, what the fuck is she going to think of me?

Dinner. She thinks of you as dinner.

Not eating you kind of dinner, of course. I mean, free dinner.

Jhoan

1. Don't write casual sex as a looking for
2. Your profile looks like every other dude's profile out there who took this shit seriously
3. Don't take this shit seriously
4. People don't write long profiles--yeah, yeah, some women read it all but the majority are going to look at photos, take a quick glance for words they will be affiliated with and move on
5. Do not say, "I'm terrible at filling these self profiles out." Everyone says that
I agree with all of these points; it sounds very cut and dry and listing casual sex is big no-no. Since you say you're sarcastic but don't show it, inject humor into your profile. Less is definitely more in profile; the favorite section in particular is pretty long. Maybe make references to your favorite things e.g. tv shows, movies, songs, etc or mention how you're Puerto Rican and you do/do not know how to dance Salsa (I have a bit of stereotype that all Puerto Ricans know how to dance Salsa lol).

To further add to these points, I would suggest removing the dog picture because as a moderator on OKC, I can definitely say that it will get flagged unless you take a picture with the dog. Also, I noticed several grammatical errors e.g. bad in Breaking Bad is capitalized, workout= work out; super powered=super powers.

You're a handsome guy like you said you were (I saw you post in the picture/Dating-Age thread) with a strong jaw line and tall to boot; pictures of you doing stuff would probably help sell you a bit more as opposed to selfies. I'm baffled by the fact that you haven't had much luck on Tinder considering the fact that as a fellow Hispanic, I get matches regularly. I've met many handsome GAF members in NYC GAF meet ups so no surprises here. I would like to meet you at a future meet up that I host to talk about online dating adventures.

Here's something I learned about Tinder .

If you're decent looking, in decent shape, have one of your 5 pictures showing off your body, and have something suggestive in your profile.

Girls will message you first, they will mention the suggestive thing in your profile, and hooking up is very easy. If that's all you're looking for of course.
Lol I qualify to all those things. While you're at it you should also mention taking pictures with sedated/drugged up tigers, posing moustaches (what's the deal with that?), posing in front of the Eiffel Tower, a picture with a baby, a picture as a child, and drinking an alcoholic drink since those are the most common pictures I always see of girls on Tinder on top of the endless droves of bikini shots.

I've thought about putting up a shirtless picture but then I realized that the only shirtless picture that I have that was in a body of water context, is about 3 years old even though I still look the same more or less but with a little bit more muscle. I think mirror shot shirtless pictures come off as douchey/try-hard.

The problem with having a shirtless picture is that it's a double edged sword; do you want unwarranted attention at the expense of getting laid? I wouldn't mind doing it since I'm not really looking for anything serious. However, the pictures that I have as is show that I'm in shape. I'll definitely toy around with it and throw in a picture to see what happens. Maybe I'll be more honest and mention that I'm looking for fun. The beautiful thing about online dating is that it's all about experimenting.

Speaking of Tinder, I deleted and rebooted my Tinder profile after running out of matches but have been more selective swiping right. I might actually try out Blendr and Hinge for the hell of it to see what all the buzz is about.

Sketchbag and Noctis (thanks for the shout in the other thread) are right: even if conversations don't lead anywhere, in the end of the day it should be about having fun in the end of the day and going with the flow and less about feeling entitled to get a date out of almost every conversation I have.

Got 3 new matches so far including a bot which I reported and unmatched. Been talking to a South East Asian Lawyer girl originally from California. I think I'm closing in on a date with her. I'll keep on trucking otherwise. Although it feels a bit strange seeing girls that I previously matched up with again but no big deal.

BIGWORM

Not sure what you mean?

She said "do you want to meet up and go for a walk or something". She said dating was off the cards because she's not interested in that.

As in you're paying for her food. "or something" usually means "getting a bite," in which you'll be guilt-tripped into paying for. I usually go Dutch on "first meets."

Lulubop

I agree with all of these points; it sounds very cut and dry and listing casual sex is big no-no. Since you say you're sarcastic but don't show it, inject humor into your profile. Less is definitely more in profile; the favorite section in particular is pretty long. Maybe make references to your favorite things e.g. tv shows, movies, songs, etc or mention how you're Puerto Rican and you do/do not know how to dance Salsa (I have a bit of stereotype that all Puerto Ricans know how to dance Salsa lol).

To further add to these points, I would suggest removing the dog picture because as a moderator on OKC, I can definitely say that it will get flagged unless you take a picture with the dog. Also, I noticed several grammatical errors e.g. bad in Breaking Bad is capitalized, workout= work out; super powered=super powers.

You're a handsome guy like you said you were (I saw you post in the picture/Dating-Age thread) with a strong jaw line and tall to boot; pictures of you doing stuff would probably help sell you a bit more as opposed to selfies. I'm baffled by the fact that you haven't had much luck on Tinder considering the fact that as a fellow Hispanic, I get matches regularly. Pictures are I've met many handsome GAF members in NYC GAF meet ups so no surprises here. I would like to meet you at a future meet up that I host to talk about online dating adventures.

Thanks man, I'll definitely take those suggestions into account. Yea, I realize throwing up some group photos or action shots is probably a good idea but I don't really have any. Not really a photo taking person, but I'll see what I can do. That said, my inbox was on fire last night so I'm not sweating it too much. I wanted to go to the last GAF meet up but I had work unfortunately. I will try my best to be at the next one.

Sketchbag

Banned
Nobody thinks that's a bit weird? 4 messages in the space of an hour?

Not to mention I've never dated and am nearly 30. Because I've never had a social life, or travelled, or done much of anything, I am worried she will find me completely uninteresting. And a loser. She keeps saying in her messages that she's meeting other men and she's not 'feeling a spark' despite them being 'nice guys'. If other men aren't measuring up to her standards, what the fuck is she going to think of me?

There's still no harm in going. Go out, meet someone, and have fun. If you think yourself a loser it will reflect in your actions.

But those things aren't mutually exclusive...?

I'm not sure what your point is, exactly. No one really said that you can't have fun on a date. Acknowledging that dating is hard doesn't take away from that at all.

When you air your grievances and frustrations it does take the fun away. Being angry at the whole thing does show off in your attitude whether you like it or not.

Sketchbag

Banned

If you're decent looking, in decent shape, have one of your 5 pictures showing off your body, and have something suggestive in your profile.

Girls will message you first, they will mention the suggestive thing in your profile, and hooking up is very easy. If that's all you're looking for of course.

Looks don't matter on Tinder. Just don't be shallow, judgemental, creepy, rude, and look like you're a depressing person to be around. I'm a solid 6/10 and I still get messages. If you try to inject so much, "Well, I gotta have a good angle for this photo so women can see that I'm outgoing" it will tell in messages because it will make you sound like a chump. Just accept what you get and have fun. No one's looking for a serious thing in 2 weeks. Most people just want to meet other people and see if they click.

Sketchbag

Banned
stopped reading right there.

That's a defeating attitude. My friend is obese and has a fedora and gets matches. Sure, they're not super models who make bank (which a lot of people seem to think they should have) but he still gets matches and messages from cool people.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
That's a defeating attitude. My friend is obese and has a fedora and gets matches. Sure, they're not super models who make bank but he still gets matches and messages.

I'm not saying I don't get matches, I'm saying "looks don't matter" is not a true statement in ANYTHING relating to online dating. You're lying to yourself if you say otherwise. If looks didn't matter and your friend was a great dude he'd get matches from good-looking girls too. But he doesn't. Because looks matter.

freshair

The problem with having a shirtless picture is that it's a double edged sword; do you want unwarranted attention at the expense of getting laid? I wouldn't mind doing it since I'm not really looking for anything serious. However, the pictures that I have as is show that I'm in shape. I'll definitely toy around with it and throw in a picture to see what happens. Maybe I'll be more honest and mention that I'm looking for fun. The beautiful thing about online dating

Yup. You may be able to have it both ways, finding quality girls to date and finding quality girls to hookup, but usually with a suggestive profile and "douche" half naked picture, it's more than likely going to appeal more to one side of the coin. That being said, if that's what you're into, definitely do it. You can always delete your Tinder and start fresh again after you've had your fun.

Looks don't matter on Tinder. Just don't be shallow, judgemental, creepy, rude, and look like you're a depressing person to be around. I'm a solid 6/10 and I still get messages. If you try to inject so much, "Well, I gotta have a good angle for this photo so women can see that I'm outgoing" it will tell in messages because it will make you sound like a chump. Just accept what you get and have fun. No one's looking for a serious thing in 2 weeks. Most people just want to meet other people and see if they click.

I have to disagree, looks do matter. As far as the context I'm referring to, which is straight up hooking up with the girl initializing and saying she wants to bang in the first 3 messages (true story).

In any other context, I'd go with your suggestion and just don't be "judgemental, creepy, rude, and look like you're a depressing person to be around" and you can get pretty far in the online dating game.

Trying to quantify "attitude" on a dating website/app where you can write/show anything is a bit silly.

I think I'm decent-looking and I get matches on Tinder. The matches just happen to be not my type.

Lulubop

I think I'm gonna try this, how suggestive we talking?

Sketchbag

Banned
I'm not saying I don't get matches, I'm saying "looks don't matter" is not a true statement in ANYTHING relating to online dating. You're lying to yourself if you say otherwise. If looks didn't matter and your friend was a great dude he'd get matches from good-looking girls too. But he doesn't. Because looks matter.
Never said none weren't attractive. Said they weren't super model quality people seem to want. Which begs the question of why so many men and women are shallow.

It's just a defeatist's attitude. If you want to say looks matter go ahead but it's really an excuse for a poor attitude when it comes to dating and hooking up in general because there's nothing wrong with these people they're just "not your type.

I have to disagree, looks do matter. As far as the context I'm referring to, which is straight up hooking up with the girl initializing and saying she wants to bang in the first 3 messages (true story).

True story or true stories? I've had that too. Well, I've had it happen multiple times. I lay my expectations down asap and seems to work. First real conversation on Tinder had her over in a living room fort within 4 days. This previous weekend I met a person after 1 day and we knew what was up. 2 months ago I talked to a girl at 8:00PM and at 10:00PM was downtown at a club with her. Hook ups like that are primarily your doing and becomes a number's game. You can say it was looks but it's just an excuse and a poor way to handle yourself later on when you try to get more fast hook ups. You may think women be shallow but that's just boring. Just be outgoing and confident with your messages and be different.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, I'm going to leave to that nude pool party in a few minutes. If you guys don't see me post here (or anywhere else on GAF) by midnight, do me a favor and call the popo.

Wish me luck!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Never said none weren't attractive. Said they weren't super model quality people seem to want. Which begs the question of why so many men and women are shallow.

It's just a defeatist's attitude. If you want to say looks matter go ahead but it's really an excuse for a poor attitude when it comes to dating and hooking up in general because there's nothing wrong with these people they're just "not your type.

The problem with your statement is that, like Prodigy said, "attitude" is not something you can quantify or measure over online conversations, or barely. And especially not on Tinder where conversations tend to be shorter. You can't tell me a hot girl doesn't match a not-so-hot guy because she thinks he has "bad attitude" from his profile picture. That's all I'm saying.

People are shallow. People want a partner that matches them in attractiveness. Some more, some less. That's all I'm saying. Yes, you can make up for a lack of physical attractiveness by having a great personality, but the hard part of online dating is GETTING THE CHANCE to prove that you have a good personality, because most girls won't even talk to you without looks. The rare ones that will are the keepers. Or you lower your standards too, obviously. I'm not saying I'll only date the hottest girls, but there obviously needs to be some physical attraction going on.

Sketchbag

Banned
The problem with your statement is that, like Prodigy said, "attitude" is not something you can quantify or measure over online conversations, or barely. And especially not on Tinder where conversations tend to be shorter. You can't tell me a hot girl doesn't match a not-so-hot guy because she thinks he has "bad attitude" from his profile picture. That's all I'm saying.

People are shallow. People want a partner that matches them in attractiveness. Some more, some less. That's all I'm saying. Yes, you can make up for a lack of physical attractiveness by having a great personality, but the hard part of online dating is GETTING THE CHANCE to prove that you have a good personality, because most girls won't even talk to you without looks. The rare ones that will are the keepers. Or you lower your standards too, obviously. I'm not saying I'll only date the hottest girls, but there obviously needs to be some physical attraction going on.

Oh, they can. If I see a girl with only selfies I'll shrug her off as someone who probably isn't out going and won't send a message or at least self absorbed. Having photos with friends or you at events says more about you than your looks. Just not taking a photo inside your room by yourself makes you more likable. Your personality easily shines through your photo. Heck, if you just have the basic selfie with a smile, sure, someone will think you're hot but it's just subconsciously telling people, "I have no good photos of myself with people or outside so here's this 'smile' and me in my living room".

There's a reason why people with group photos, pets, etc. get more messages. Being hot isn't the biggest factor.

Kyne

If I'm going to be online dating I might as well be picky. I feel like I'm a good 6-7 out of 10. Call me shallow/cold, but I don't think I'd ever find myself looking at someone who wasn't the same or above.

It's like... If you're going though all trouble of online dating there's absolutely no reason you should be settling in ANY department. That includes both the personality and looks.

Unless you're desperate.

Edit: my current lady friend only had 2 pictures on her profile... and they were both selfies. She's hot so I don't really care much about the context of the pictures. :/ she's not self absorbed at all. In fact, she doesn't feel like she's photogenic so she hates getting her picture taken.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
There's a lot of rhetoric in the loaded statement of "looks don't matter." How are you supposed to appear confident in your message if you don't get matched on tinder to message them? There is no logic there.

Meeting up and hooking up with someone on tinder in the same day is totally looks dependent. I have been on tinder for 6 months and the only people that match or reply to me are bots. The matches that are human are probably just mistakes since they never even reply to anything or instantly unmatch me since I get a notification of a new match And nothin appears

FStop7

Banned
Man, do LD online relationships ever succeed? Ever? I met someone who is incredible but she lives so far away. If it were me advising someone else I'd be against it. But this woman is special, I'm not exaggerating. If anyone is worth the effort, it's her. But I dunno.

woodchuck

Man, do LD online relationships ever succeed? Ever? I met someone who is incredible but she lives so far away. If it were me advising someone else I'd be against it. But this woman is special, I'm not exaggerating. If anyone is worth the effort, it's her. But I dunno.

My friend ended up marrying someone he met online. He lived in Dallas, she lived in Chicago. It could be different though since they were both Arabic and were looking for someone of the same culture.

Sketchbag

Banned
There's a lot of rhetoric in the loaded statement of "looks don't matter." How are you supposed to appear confident in your message if you don't get matched on tinder to message them? There is no logic there.

Meeting up and hooking up with someone on tinder in the same day is totally looks dependent. I have been on tinder for 6 months and the only people that match or reply to me are bots. The matches that are human are probably just mistakes since they never even reply to anything or instantly unmatch me since I get a notification of a new match And nothin appears

I'm a solid 6. I just have friends, I'm outgoing, talkative, can relate, etc.. I don't have many photos that are just me. The photos I use are 99% taken by other people or group photos. I don't know what to tell you. You could just exist on your own or you've got pictures that are really off-putting which seem weird because I'm 24 and I have one where I look 40 during my hangover and ginormous bags, and another where you can see my missing front tooth while wearing a Transformers t-shirt. My photo's in FaceGAF by the way. My profile says I am the #1 virgin and I give the worst sex ever. You can be confident in your photos, just don't have boring photos. Boring photos are you all dressed up but by yourself in your room. The clothing doesn't matter, the perception that you're alone matters and people see that.

If you guys want to see dating as look dependent, don't be upset if your dates are just as shallow and depressing as you guys and you're perpetually stuck in a dating cycle you seem to loathe.

Kyne

At what point should you ask for a number? I feel like once I get to that point all communication stops.

When I feel like we've run out of small talk/banter via the messages, I actually just leave my number.

If they text you, you're in. If they don't... well...

:p onto the next one.

SRG01

When you air your grievances and frustrations it does take the fun away. Being angry at the whole thing does show off in your attitude whether you like it or not.

I'm not sure where anyone said they were airing their grievances?

At what point should you ask for a number? I feel like once I get to that point all communication stops.

You ask for their number/name when it feels right. Usually at the height of conversation or when you've settled on a date.

davepoobond

I try to do it on the 3rd or 4th message myself. And then while texting ill ask if they want to meet up.

I've only gotten to that point twice though.

davepoobond

Haha I tried the " I noticed you visited my profile but didnt say hi" and someone said they were sorry and are new to the site and don't know how it works

Now I just feel bad.

gugi40

Have any of you encountered the randomly rude/angry commenter? There are some guys that will decide to message me but be total assholes in their first message, what the hell did I do?!

Anyway I want to have my profile evaluated but I am not sure if when I link it on here that it will be viewable for anyone that doesn't have Pof

SRG01

Have any of you encountered the randomly rude/angry commenter? There are some guys that will decide to message me but be total assholes in their first message, what the hell did I do?!

Anyway I want to have my profile evaluated but I am not sure if when I link it on here that it will be viewable for anyone that doesn't have Pof

Just ignore and delete. It happens a lot... some guys apparently think that tactic actually works.

You can just copy/paste your POF profile link. POF doesn't block external sources, IIRC.

Haha I tried the " I noticed you visited my profile but didnt say hi" and someone said they were sorry and are new to the site and don't know how it works

Now I just feel bad.

At least you get people visiting your profile! ;_;

HGStormy

Banned
Here's something I've noticed, and I could be totally wrong but yeah
Lots of people seem to keep the things they're actually interested in off their profile, for fear that it's "nerdy" or that it's something that most people aren't into, and I think that's kind of the opposite of what you want to do. If you make your profile attractive to a wide range of people, sure you'll get more messages, but not necessarily from the people you'd be interested in. I suppose it works if you just want to bang, but I think it's better for finding someone that you'd actually click with if you list things you're actually interested in.
This comes to mind after reading that Nigerian e-mail scam chapter in Think Like a Freak.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, I'm back.

Good news is that my kidneys are safe and sound.

Bad news is that it ended pretty horribly.

I won't get into the details, but it started off pretty great, but by the end, it went to hell. Basically she tells me straight up that she's not interested in me. This would have been okay were it not for the fact that she led me on, specifically from our most recent date. Needless to say, I wasn't too thrilled upon hearing that and hightailed it out of there.

Gonna be in a pretty bad mood for a while, but on the plus side, I don't have to deal with her anymore. Also, it's become abundantly clear to me that the shelf life for naturally big boobs is pretty dang short, unfortunately.

gugi40

Aside from the "Ect" typo in your interests, there's nothing wrong with the profile.

Oh glad to hear it. I wanted to put more interests but I am scared of guys doing the whole "I don't believe you" bullshit. Maybe I will add some in anyway.

davepoobond

Okay, I'm back.

Good news is that my kidneys are safe and sound.

Bad news is that it ended pretty horribly.

I won't get into the details, but it started off pretty great, but by the end, it went to hell. Basically she tells me straight up that she's not interested in me. This would have been okay were it not for the fact that she led me on, specifically from our most recent date. Needless to say, I wasn't too thrilled upon hearing that and hightailed it out of there.

Gonna be in a pretty bad mood for a while, but on the plus side, I don't have to deal with her anymore. Also, it's become abundantly clear to me that the shelf life for naturally big boobs is pretty dang short, unfortunately.

how bizarre. what was the point of having you go? just so that she can "have someone" there with her when she shows up?

Oh glad to hear it. I wanted to put more interests but I am scared of guys doing the whole "I don't believe you" bullshit. Maybe I will add some in anyway.

yeah, i dont think there's anything wrong with it either. The only thing is I feel like I don't know what specific thing you're really into that you do for fun aside from your list of interests.

saying you like being clear of debt and having high credit scores is probably superfluous, this would be the first time i saw anyone mention specifics about their fiscal responsibility. i don't think that's a bad thing, necessarily, though.

At least you get people visiting your profile! ;_;

honestly its not that many. it depends how active i am on there, i think. Recently my message to visitor ratio has gone up significantly for absolutely no reason. Most of the time they'll visit me but no message, as opposed to no visit and no message.

gugi40

yeah, i dont think there's anything wrong with it either. The only thing is I feel like I don't know what specific thing you're really into that you do for fun aside from your list of interests.

saying you like being clear of debt and having high credit scores is probably superfluous, this would be the first time i saw anyone mention specifics about their fiscal responsibility. i don't think that's a bad thing, necessarily, though.
I don't really know what to say for what I do for fun because I don't do much outside of work or hanging with friends.

Should I leave out the financial bit?

http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=79942313

Alright, please tell me what you all might think needs a change.

Or just give your opinion on whatever, and don't worry about being mean, I have already had tons of guys be pricks to me.

First of all with all due respect you look hot and you come off as a very chill and open minded individual, you make your intentions and likes clear from the get-go which is important, also your profile gives a welcoming vibe so I don't see where's the problem at. Just remember certain people are mean online just for the sake of being mean.

gugi40

First of all with all due respect you look hot and you come off as a very chill and open minded individual, you make your intentions and likes clear from the get-go which is important, also your profile gives a welcoming vibe so I don't see where's the problem at. Just remember certain people are mean online just for the sake of being mean.
Thanks for the compliment!

I am trying to come off as easy to get along with and I am trying my best to filter out the "only want to fuck and chuck" types that just waste my time.

Its good to know I sort of accomplished that much.

Top Bottom