• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I don't really know what to say for what I do for fun because I don't do much outside of work or hanging with friends.

Should I leave out the financial bit?

If its something that's valuable to you I would say make it something that could be perceived as less condescending.

something like "I pride myself on my fiscal responsibility" yadda yadda, something like that. i wouldn't mention credit scores (i wouldnt expect most people understand them very well anyway) or debt. at least in America, there's a lot of people who have debt just for going to school, so it might come off as condescending in a way. no idea what its like in BC.

anyway, that's just my thoughts on it

also, yeah, i think you're attractive as well. i'd message you if you lived near me :p

Okay, I'm back.

Good news is that my kidneys are safe and sound.

Bad news is that it ended pretty horribly.

I won't get into the details, but it started off pretty great, but by the end, it went to hell. Basically she tells me straight up that she's not interested in me. This would have been okay were it not for the fact that she led me on, specifically from our most recent date. Needless to say, I wasn't too thrilled upon hearing that and hightailed it out of there.

Gonna be in a pretty bad mood for a while, but on the plus side, I don't have to deal with her anymore. Also, it's become abundantly clear to me that the shelf life for naturally big boobs is pretty dang short, unfortunately.

You got huge balls of steel I'll give you props, but I just don't understand why the hell did she invite you? I hope she didn't do it to stroke her ego..Nevertheless keep on the good fight.

gugi40

If its something that's valuable to you I would say make it something that could be perceived as less condescending.

something like "I pride myself on my fiscal responsibility" yadda yadda, something like that. i wouldn't mention credit scores (i wouldnt expect most people understand them very well anyway) or debt. at least in America, there's a lot of people who have debt just for going to school, so it might come off as condescending in a way. no idea what its like in BC.

anyway, that's just my thoughts on it

also, yeah, i think you're attractive as well. i'd message you if you lived near me :p
Thats actually really helpful advice, I never thought it would be percieved as condescending! I might just leave it out and replace it with something else to do with future goals or whatever.

And thanks :') y'all are making me blush.

Thats actually really helpful advice, I never thought it would be percieved as condescending! I might just leave it out and replace it with something else to do with future goals or whatever.

And thanks :') y'all are making me blush.

Gentlemen Gaf never fails my lady * tyrion voice

my-watch-begins-gif.gif

gugi40

The only criticism I may have is you mentioning juggling 3 careers. Some may take it that you won't even have time to date.
Damn it I just changed it too!

I am not doing those things yet, I am just trying to decide which one to go for. Is there a way to specify that in my writing?

davepoobond

Damn it I just changed it too!

I am not doing those things yet, I am just trying to decide which one to go for. Is there a way to specify that in my writing?

change:

I pretty much work most of my time to accumulate funds for future schooling. I am between three different careers so I am taking time to make sure I pick the right one.

to:

I'm saving most of my funds for future schooling while choosing between different possible careers going forward

or something like that.

gugi40

change:

I pretty much work most of my time to accumulate funds for future schooling. I am between three different careers so I am taking time to make sure I pick the right one.

to:

I'm saving most of my funds for future schooling while choosing between different possible careers going forward

or something like that.
Ok just changed it. I actually had a hard time thinking of what to write holy hell.

davepoobond

Ok just changed it. I actually had a hard time thinking of what to write holy hell.

ok, what you did works way better than what i could think haha.

i'd also put the shirtless thing up top with the no hookup policy. kinda ends it on a negative the way it is. i dont know if it matters, though.

gugi40

ok, what you did works way better than what i could think haha.

i'd also put the shirtless thing up top with the no hookup policy. kinda ends it on a negative the way it is. i dont know if it matters, though.
Thank god, Faceoff was distracting me/there are raccoons in my house.

I think I might switch the shirtless thing, good point

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
how bizarre. what was the point of having you go? just so that she can "have someone" there with her when she shows up?

You got huge balls of steel I'll give you props, but I just don't understand why the hell did she invite you? I hope she didn't do it to stroke her ego..Nevertheless keep on the good fight.

Yeah, I have no idea what the hell was up with her. It's all the more annoying because this is the sort of thing I was trying to clarify to her the last time we met.

Whatever. Fortunately, I met someone else on OKC the other day who does seem to really be into me. So we'll see how that one goes.

Sketchbag

Banned
So, yeah, finished a night session of PoE and saw that my e-mail showed I had a new message on PoF. Boring message from a conversation long ago. Long story short I went to the "Meet Me" part and just furiously hit yes because meh. I do believe I liked at least 2 GAFfers.

YOU ARE WELCOME.

Halcyon

http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=79942313

Alright, please tell me what you all might think needs a change.

Or just give your opinion on whatever, and don't worry about being mean, I have already had tons of guys be pricks to me.

I just checked it out. I think the initial vibe I got was that it was not very welcoming. I don't mind staying intentions but I felt like I was being scolded. I think if a guy is on there trying to get laid he wouldn't heed those type of statements anyway. That's part of the game. 'challenge accepted'

You see it on alot of women's profiles and it's kinda blah to me. But then again I don't have a bunch of dudes constantly trying to bang me in a very uncomfortable spot.

Other than that you seem like a gaffer. A hot gaffer.

gugi40

I just checked it out. I think the initial vibe I got was that it was not very welcoming. I don't mind staying intentions but I felt like I was being scolded. I think if a guy is on there trying to get laid he wouldn't heed those type of statements anyway. That's part of the game. 'challenge accepted'

You see it on alot of women's profiles and it's kinda blah to me. But then again I don't have a bunch of dudes constantly trying to bang me in a very uncomfortable spot.

Other than that you seem like a gaffer. A hot gaffer.
Well I am kind of glad you say this actually, I do want to be unwelcoming to those kind of guys, it is part of the plan to drive away guys that just want to stick their bird in anything with a pulse. I hope it sounds scolding, I dont want those types even thinking I would be a "challenge". I am just going off hoping that guys with better intentions will look past that because they will know It doesnt apply to them. I want top dollar not ten cents. Nothing wrong with wanting to have safe, consensual sex with different people but I am so not down for that. I kinda dig the whole commitment thing.

Well I am a gaffer :p good to hear I am hot though :D
Hot~ !
Everyone already gave you good advice. Now you just need to wait for a catch. :)
Yeah I hope the wait isn't long!

Ha, you're actually in my area. Small world!
Wat, NOTICE ME SENPAI! >:B

SRG01

Today's date was pretty good and relaxing. Not sure where it'll go in the future, but we'll have to see, I suppose! :)

davepoobond

Got that girls number yesterday, exchanged a few texts. Probably will text her later today and ask if she wants to meet up sometime this weekend maybe.

Too quick? I feel like all of it needs to happen in a week otherwise there is no interest anymore

edit: lul, looks like she's not going to text back. oh well.

capawe

Neo Member
So my Tinder has been buggy as hell for the past month (no matches, unable to send messages, would constantly see the same girl several times in a row, randomly changing my profile picture etc.), I tried reinstalling but that didn't work so I decided to delete my account. After I started up my account again everything seems to be working again (first three girls were a match :D ) so I am happy to finally be back into the online dating scene.

Jhoan

Thanks man, I'll definitely take those suggestions into account. Yea, I realize throwing up some group photos or action shots is probably a good idea but I don't really have any. Not really a photo taking person, but I'll see what I can do. That said, my inbox was on fire last night so I'm not sweating it too much. I wanted to go to the last GAF meet up but I had work unfortunately. I will try my best to be at the next one.
As I always say, if you have a decent point and shoot camera or DSLR and don't have a friend/family member to take pictures of you, use the self-timer feature to take pictures of yourself. Prop it on a stable surface, set the focal length, set the timer to the maximum amount of seconds, get into position, camera takes picture; rinse and repeat. I've taken pictures of myself with my mirror-less camera using the said feature whenever I'm out and about and bored since I don't have a tripod. They usually tend to come out pretty well with the right settings. I believe that Reddit's OkCupid community has weekly meet ups where they'll go to a bar and take profile pictures of people if they want to. Good to see that your inbox blew up. Keep on trucking. I'll be making the NY Comic Con thread this year again but I believe Vita-GAF is having a meet up early next month which I'll probably go to depending on school work. Details are still being worked out. Otherwise, the next real meet up after October will be in December to cap off the year on the week before Christmas.

Well on my Tinder I mention Marvel comics but I made sure to buffer that with non "geek" things like lifting and biking
I think it's totally fine if you have a picture with a comic artist/writer or even a Marvel cosplayer. Nothing wrong with that seeing how it was something that used to be in the margins but is now acceptable thanks conventions.
Okay, I'm back.

Good news is that my kidneys are safe and sound.

Bad news is that it ended pretty horribly.

I won't get into the details, but it started off pretty great, but by the end, it went to hell. Basically she tells me straight up that she's not interested in me. This would have been okay were it not for the fact that she led me on, specifically from our most recent date. Needless to say, I wasn't too thrilled upon hearing that and hightailed it out of there.

Gonna be in a pretty bad mood for a while, but on the plus side, I don't have to deal with her anymore. Also, it's become abundantly clear to me that the shelf life for naturally big boobs is pretty dang short, unfortunately.

You did good by going. Nothing gained, nothing ventured. And yes, big boobs tend to flop once the bra comes off and gravity does its thing. Keep at it man. Don't let this one experience sour your online dating adventures. Dating is always a learning experience.

Whew thank goodness there was no fedora tip! :p

M'lady, is your name Gilette? Because you're the best a man can get. ;p

Got that girls number yesterday, exchanged a few texts. Probably will text her later today and ask if she wants to meet up sometime this weekend maybe.

Too quick? I feel like all of it needs to happen in a week otherwise there is no interest anymore

edit: lul, looks like she's not going to text back. oh well.
I would say not to dismiss it it so quickly. Maybe she got super busy since I replied to a South East Asian girl's text yesterday but she didn't reply the whole day after that. I noticed that she's really slow to reply to texts that she replies every several hours and like you I've been pushing towards setting something up for this weekend. Honestly, for someone who replies every several hours to texts, I think I'm better off calling her. I'll hit her up again in the morning since she kept giving me good signs of interest by telling me that she has a Spanish accent and likes Dominican food (I'm mostly Dominican for reference) so we'll see where it goes. Maybe you should send her a second text if you don't hear from here in several hours or try calling her if anything.

On a similar note, I've also been talking to a Brazilian girl on Tinder who moved to the city 2 weeks ago and will be in the city for 2 years for grad school. We've been having some good conversations.When I suggested exchanging numbers, she told me that she doesn't have a U.S. phone yet so she has to use Tinder via Wi-Fi which I told her was all right. I suggested going art gallery hopping with her over the weekend so fingers crossed that it goes well and she agrees.

davepoobond

I would say not to dismiss it it so quickly. Maybe she got super busy since I replied to a South East Asian girl's text yesterday but she didn't reply the whole day after that. I noticed that she's really slow to reply to texts that she replies every several hours and like you I've been pushing towards setting something up for this weekend. Honestly, for someone who replies every several hours to texts, I think I'm better off calling her. I'll hit her up again in the morning since she kept giving me good signs of interest by telling me that she has a Spanish accent and likes Dominican food (I'm mostly Dominican for reference) so we'll see where it goes. Maybe you should send her a second text if you don't hear from here in several hours or try calling her if anything.

On a similar note, I've also been talking to a Brazilian girl on Tinder who moved to the city 2 weeks ago and will be in the city for 2 years for grad school. We've been having some good conversations.When I suggested exchanging numbers, she told me that she doesn't have a U.S. phone yet so she has to use Tinder via Wi-Fi which I told her was all right. I suggested going art gallery hopping with her over the weekend so fingers crossed that it goes well and she agrees.

well, the only reason i'm not really going to hold my breath is because i saw her online on POF today and her profile has been updated. I guess we'll see...

Luigi87

So I only just realized how "Special Blend" like... extremely limits the number of women populating my search in low distances near me, compared to when I search via Match %...

SRG01

So I only just realized how "Special Blend" like... extremely limits the number of women populating my search in low distances near me, compared to when I search via Match %...

OkCupid has serious database issues ever since a few years ago. Changing from Match%, Last Online, and Special Blend all give different numbers of matches. Theoretically, they should all give the same number.

I've forced the system to give me some "hidden" ones before by narrowing the age group...

You know what truly sucks ass? Not being photogenic.

Tell me about it. I'm 5'11/160 pounds and look obese in some pictures I take

Ok, so what's the deal with not putting looking for sex on OKC? It's an option, right? I don't think I can be bothered with a relationship right now. I just want something casual

SRG01

Ok, so what's the deal with not putting looking for sex on OKC? It's an option, right? I don't think I can be bothered with a relationship right now. I just want something casual

If you're honestly looking for that, just use Tinder or POF.

Stopping in to say that my first POF date went swimmingly. Fantastic lady, lots to talk about. The date even went into overtime because we were having so much fun.

BTW,
I'm 29, she's 31. And were both the same height :)

y2dvd

Date went well. There's this shopping center in town that's just money. Lots of making out but I had to drop her off because she had work early tomorrow. This one actually said she wanted to see me again unlike the previous dates that didn't reject the kiss but would tell me afterwards they weren't feeling it. Promising start.

For anyone wondering, we started chatting with me complimenting on a shirt in her pic.

Jhoan

You know what truly sucks ass? Not being photogenic.

Tell me about it. I'm the dullest looking motherfucker on Tinder.

Hahahaha, you guys all say that but I have friends that are super nerdy and have yet to go on dates; one specific friend who's my age comes to mind since he's obsessed with this one girl we worked at a convention, has yet to on a date in his life with a girl because of said obsession, is a virgin, and has never kissed a girl. Plus he has ridiculously high standards. It's pathetic and childish. The worse part is he still thinks he has a chance with her despite the fact that she has a boyfriend and loves attention.

Since you guys keep mentioning how supposedly ugly you guys are, here's my current rotation of pictures on Tinder. There's days where I look good in pictures, then there's days where I look bad in pictures and need a haircut. Be advised that I haven't been successful since rebooting my profile (things are progressing slowly with the SE Asian girl; Brazilian girl stopped responding; I haven't gotten any new matches):

http://i.imgur.com/S5RWygj.jpg

In before the "you're a stud" compliments lol. Before anyone asks, I lift bro and have a high metabolism/low body fat.

@y2dvd, nice to see it went well. Successful dates are always. Loving the little success stories I've been reading lately both here and in Dating-Age.

I think POF is actually better..

There's more actual women in my town, compared to the 3 on OKC. So no travelling is good. And quite a few just want casual encounters. Lets see how this shit goes

Top Bottom