• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only one print review of Halo 2 before launch...and no spoilers included

Status
Not open for further replies.
What IJoel said. I don't think anyone really expected this to be anything but the second coming of Halo (it better be...it's got that big honkin' 2 attached to it!). Better, faster, stronger. A super sequel to a super game. Not a title that can make every other game on the planet obsolete....just a fantastic game. Maybe people were confusing people's expressed personal feelings on the game's release potential, sales-wise and personal anticipation-wise...or something.

This leak sucks and that's all there is to it. I really wish that publishers would enforce interesting ways of fucking with pirate scum... Like, hey, you're internal clock on the XBOX says it's pre-November 9th....FUCK OFF!

*system activates super-secret mini-nuke housed within its large-'so that's why it's so big'-exterior and blows up city where pirate lives*

Yeah, it'd be a bit messy and decidedly non-surgical...but it'd work. Too bad about those that have the wrong date on their systems...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, it'd be a bit messy and decidedly non-surgical...but it'd work. Too bad about those that have the wrong date on their systems...

That would be an AWFUL idea. :p

I mean, everytime the XBOX loses power (from turning off a power strip to simply unplugging it), the time and date must be reset. Do you think everyone would want to set that properly everytime? :p

Mrbob

dark10x said:
So the three hour claim is BS? I sure hope so...

That would be incredibly disappointing. I honestly could not see how that would even be possible.

Come on, dude. You should know better than to buy into that.....

PhatSaqs said:
:lol. Well, in the last 4 months I count 10 including the Bungie weekly updates that are about the game. And they all pretty much say the same thing. "The game doesnt sound that great, look that great, etc., etc."

Guilty as charged....

Well, your desire to bash him is much greater than my desire to defend him, so you win. :)

Deku Tree

MightyHedgehog said:
This leak sucks and that's all there is to it. I really wish that publishers would enforce interesting ways of fucking with pirate scum... Like, hey, you're internal clock on the XBOX says it's pre-November 9th....FUCK OFF!

*system activates super-secret mini-nuke housed within its large-'so that's why it's so big'-exterior and blows up city where pirate lives*

Elements of the music industry have wanted to do things like this for a while but they can't because it's very illegal.

dark10x

Mrbob said:

Come on, dude. You should know better than to buy into that.....

Yeah, I know...but it was presented with a lot of other proven facts. I didn't really believe it would be THAT short, but it did make me question the length...

Mrbob

Well, if you read the XBN Halo 2 article, Peter Parsons (Studio Manager for Bungie) states that most of the team focused on single player. I guess multiplayer had only four people on it while the rest of the team focused on single player. So I think Halo fans would be pretty pissed at a three hour game. :p

SyNapSe

Ok, I haven't read any of the stuff from the leet haxorz.

All I want is.. Halo 1 expansion pack + completely revamped MP (weapon balance, tons of maps, configurability, etc.)

It definately sounds like the MP part is there.. Hopefully, they didn't screw with the basics of SP :(

I don't expect to be "blown away". That will be a job for HL2, on brand new hardware. I just want more Halo 1!!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
One other odd thing that I heard (semi-spoiler, but not really...just about a missing map)
Yeah, I've heard that too. Actually, I've heard that the level is actually there but it just has totally different layout.

If you're stupid enough to set yourself for unattainable expectations, then it's your fault (and this is a general statement, not directed at the quoted poster.)
That's exactly why I think following the game's development, trailers. screens, hype, etc. too much, almost never ends up being good for the final experience. Some people just don't seem to be capable to put a cap on the expectations.

Look, I'm almost positive that a large majority of action games can be finished within couple of hours if you skip everything that can be skipped and find every shortcut and workaround, and just run through the game in general. Too many times I've seen seemingly impossible speed runs through the games that took me probably 10x more to finish. So even if he's speaking the truth, it means nothing, really.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
the 3 hour claim is complete and utter bullshit. (i haven't been keeping up on the thread, just read that last quote).

Bristow

Banned
dark10x said:

That would be incredibly disappointing. I honestly could not see how that would even be possible.

From the majority of posts I've read on Gamefaqs from the people who beat it already, 8-10 hours seems to be the norm completion time. I guess that's about on par with the original.

Ramirez

Shit even if it is Halo 1.5,that will still be a million times better than 100% of the crap out now as far as console FPS.

teepo

me and my friends will just be happy with this title with just say atleast oh... 8 new great maps for multiplayer.

dark10x

Ramirez said:
Anyone confirmed if Sidewinder is in the multiplayer maps or is MP even in the pirated version?

It is not in the game.

The only returning maps are...

Blood Gulch and Battle Creek, which have been enhanced quite a bit, it seems.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Blazing Sword said:
Che, would you say its length is comparable to the original or more?

I'm curious too

SyNapSe

dark10x said:
It is not in the game.

The only returning maps are...

Blood Gulch and Battle Creek, which have been enhanced quite a bit, it seems.

oh noes! I wanted Hang em High!

Well, if it's 8-10 hours on Normal difficulty and being an experienced Halo player, then it should be 5 and 20 hours longer on Heroic and Legendary, respectively. Or so, I'm guessing as that was how it was in Halo 1 for me...as far as I can remember. And with co-op being more challenging, Legendary ought to be an insane Ninja Gaiden-Hurricane Pack Vol. 2-kind of 'fuck you in the ass, but in a 'good way'' experience....

As for multiplayer maps, I'd hope that the first DLC is available within this year.

AniHawk

I can't believe I read EVERYTHING in this thread. Wow.

Anyway, I think the game will be receiving tens and nines and such regardless of being Halo 1.5 or not.

Imagine being the (first) guy to give it an 8 or a 7 though. It would be Ninja Gaiden, Paper Mario 2, and Fable all rolled up into one and then some.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
teepo said:
me and my friends will just be happy with this title with just say atleast oh... 8 new great maps for multiplayer.

well, there is 10 so yay for you! much more vehicle maps also.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i hear the game is just mind numbingly, pants shitting cool. light years beyond halo. :D

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Meh, even from the pirated impressions it sounds like theres nothing wrong with the single player game and Halo 2 is so much more than a single player game, its going to be the definitive live experience. Something none of the pirates out there will know anything about. Single player might have taken the majority of Bungies time but its the multiplayer thats gonna earn this game dozens of perfect scores.

Joe

bungie has consistently stated that the battle rifle shoots single fire shots when zoomed and unzoomed it shoots 3 round bursts. ive heard all the videos show the battle rifle shooting 3 rounds bursts zoomed and unzoomed...whats with that?

GhaleonEB

Joe said:
bungie has consistently stated that the battle rifle shoots single fire shots when zoomed and unzoomed it shoots 3 round bursts. vie heard all the videos show the battle rifle shooting 3 rounds bursts zoomed and unzoomed...whats with that?

Couldn't tell ya. All of the videos I've seen since E3 2004 show just that. Then again, I didn't download any illegal ones, either.

Mrbob

One reason I've been trying to avoid all Halo 2 related info is because on the first day of the leak I accidentally stumbled upon what I think is a pretty damn big spoiler!!! Don't read this unless you want something major to be spoiled guys!

I read that in the story mode you switch between Master Chief and an Elite to flesh out the story on both sides of the equation? Is this true? Simple yes/no would do! MGS2 redux indeed!!

op_ivy

Mrbob said:
One reason I've been trying to avoid all Halo 2 related info is because on the first day of the leak I accidentally stumbled upon what I think is a pretty damn big spoiler!!! Don't read this unless you want something major to be spoiled guys!

I read that in the story mode you switch between Master Chief and an Elite to flesh out the story on both sides of the equation? Is this true? Simple yes/no would do! MGS2 redux indeed!!

check your pm

IJoel

Damn you people. Stop posting the spoilers, even with spoiler tags. It's like dangling a candy in front of a kid. :p

Ramirez

battle creek,what in the unholy fuck?!That map was like 2 inches long and sucked complete ass,ugh!!!There better be a got damn Snow level!!!!

op_ivy

Ramirez said:
battle creek,what in the unholy fuck?!That map was like 2 inches long and sucked complete ass,ugh!!!There better be a got damn Snow level!!!!

theres lockdown, which has snow and is in plenty of screens at bungie.net, but i dont think thats what you meant ;)

Sai

Joe said:
bungie has consistently stated that the battle rifle shoots single fire shots when zoomed and unzoomed it shoots 3 round bursts. ive heard all the videos show the battle rifle shooting 3 rounds bursts zoomed and unzoomed...whats with that?
Seriously, it was probably just to give the Pistol more love. I remember several people saying "What's the point" when the M6C Pistol was confirmed to be in the game. Mostly because of the Battle Rifle's secondary fire.

And concerning multiplayer maps: Keep in mind that this game is going to support DLC in a big way. I'm sure most of HALO's more popular multiplayer maps will be remade somewhere down the road. And on that note, I'm betting Single Player Campaign will get some love too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom