• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

chairon

Neo Member
Wow! Went on a 9-game win streak to end the season and sneak into the playoffs. Almost caught Baltimore for the AL East crown as well.

Think I have a fair shot against the 'Stros with Stroman on the mound. Gotta love these one-game play ins though...

I at least get a home game but don't think I'll get to start Jose for this one, about to update. I should at least have Conley on the mound though.

Peguero probably about to destroy me :(

The days off will allow me to start Jose, and this team is all in. Apparently for this one game, Adam Conley will be the closer LOL

Dodgers are sending out Jose de Leon, not Kershaw. He's still a stud though so this will be interesting

Are you fucking kidding me. My all-star catcher done for the season. Injured in a meaningless end of season game.

Fuck everything. Sadness. Darkness.

My 23 year old rookie catcher Caleb Raleigh will be making his MLB debut starting behind the plate during the Division Series. What could go wrong.

Dodgers are sending out Jose de Leon, not Kershaw. He's still a stud though so this will be interesting

Kershaw's a middle reliever now. He's not even in the rotation. Crazy but true. 76G, 0GS, 2.38ERA 1.8WAR. Making $33m.

Damn, Adam Conley was 3 wins away from taking the pitching triple crown. Jose and Conley both balled out this season. hopefully they can continue this a few more weeks.

My LF Galvi Moscat led the NL in OBP and drew 114 walks o_O

brentech

Playoff sims are shorter. Wildcard sim. Then 3 day sims to start off the division, with a final sim held back for game 5 or game 7s in future rounds.

I really feel like I should start my backup catcher Michael Curry. I acquired him from Houston in that AJ Ramos trade, and in 217 plate appearances he already has a WAR of 2.0, bats .323 with an OBP of .401......unless he is literally the greatest situational hitter of all time

oh not that it matters anyways. controlling manager!

Damn, Adam Conley was 3 wins away from taking the pitching triple crown. Jose and Conley both balled out this season. hopefully they can continue this a few more weeks.

My LF Galvi Moscat led the NL in OBP and drew 114 walks o_O

I'll be surprised if Conley isn't NL CY.

And Peguero finished with 62 dongs. Someone test that kid!

Back to the fielding chat. Did a very basic linear regression on the correlation of Wins and ZR.

XL1n7ZA.jpg

Turns out, about 9% of the variability in wins between teams can be explained by differences in ZR.

Of course, this is very simple, and doesn't include the many other variables that a multivariate regression model would give you.

In any case, Minnesota led the league with a +59.6 ZR but only achieved 77 wins as it was bogged down by an anemic offense producing a .704 OPS, 11th in the AL. Jarid Joseph became the definition of slick fielding 3B with a +17.8 ZR and 1.082 EFF.

Toronto had the 2nd best ZR at +56.0, and eeked into the playoffs. Toronto may have one of the best fielding teams up the middle, ever. Brendan Rodgers at 2B (+17.3 ZR, 1.055 EFF), SS Freddie Zamora (+10.6, 1.066) and CF Garrett Whitley (+15.2, 1.056) likely won as many games with their gloves as with their bats.

On the other end, Pittsburgh was real bad. It's -89.4 ZR was horrid, hurting its pitching staff and driving it to a 4.15 ERA, 12th in the NL, despite the staff striking out 1,343, 2nd in the NL only to the Dodgers. Problem was, every time an opposing player hit the ball it would go right through the defense, allowing opposing hitters to bat at a .257 clip. Everyone in Pittsburgh was bad at catching the baseball, but none worse than 3B Hunter Morris and his -15.9 ZR and .919 EFF. While easier to overlook when considering Morris' .880 OPS and .281-31-88 line, his 35 3B rating certainly hurt the World Champs. Also terrible was 1B Steven de la Mota with a -10.5 ZR and .897 EFF. A natural LF and rated only 30 at 1B, he held an .860 OPS and hit a cool .304-25-112, but having both Mota and Morris playing out of position the entire season certainly hurt the team.

St. Louis' fielding was also abysmal, at -84.7 ZR. Despite what is perhaps the best rotation in GOBL, St Louis allowed an opposing batting average of .264, 13th in the league. St Louis' outfield of Kivlehan, Stanton and Piscotty might rank among the worst defensive outfields in major league history. A combined -44.1 ZR, with Giancarlo Stanton at a mind boggling -31.9 ZR and .898 EFF, all St Louis pitchers could hope for were ground balls and strikeouts. A 60 rated RF, Stanton was forced into CF to keep Piscotty's bat in the lineup. Unfortunately, Stanton's 30 CF rating was reflected in some of the worst CF play in the history of the sport.

St. Louis' fielding was also abysmal, at -84.7 ZR. Despite what is perhaps the best rotation in GOBL, St Louis allowed an opposing batting average of .264, 13th in the league. St Louis' outfield of Kivlehan, Stanton and Piscotty might rank among the worst defensive outfields in major league history. A combined -44.1 ZR, with Giancarlo Stanton at a mind boggling -31.9 ZR and .898 EFF, all St Louis pitchers could hope for were ground balls and strikeouts. A 60 rated RF, Stanton was forced into CF to keep Piscotty's bat in the lineup. Unfortunately, Stanton's 30 CF rating was reflected in some of the worst CF play in the history of the sport.
I'm beginning to wish I was in the AL. Oh well, I know what I'm focusing on now over the next couple of seasons. I'm hoping I can make some adjustments while I've still got that rotation locked up.

I had the worst offense in baseball and finished 6 games under .500 because of my defense. This game really takes fielding contributions seriously in the simulations.

Let's go Ph33nix clap clap clapclapclap

Beat LA Beat LA Beat LA

Destroy the Machines!

Miami went 5-2 against the Dodgers in the regular season.

Houston went 6-1 against the Blue Jays

brentech

Let's go Ph33nix clap clap clapclapclap

Beat LA Beat LA Beat LA

Destroy the Machines!

Miami went 5-2 against the Dodgers in the regular season.

Houston went 6-1 against the Blue Jays

LA is still technically controlled by FMT, he just happened to have a kid and forgot. As I reminded him today, I'm going to allow him to get home and upload before simming today (he's on the west coast)

brentech

FMT is uploaded and the Wildcard sim is doing the same right now as I head out the door. Will post something when I get shortly.

I at least get a home game but don't think I'll get to start Jose for this one, about to update. I should at least have Conley on the mound though.

Peguero probably about to destroy me :(

The days off will allow me to start Jose, and this team is all in. Apparently for this one game, Adam Conley will be the closer LOL

mattingly moved him to middle relief and i can't adjust any pitching rotation lol. i guess because mattingly is "legendary" status it wont let me do anything with the starting rosters/rotations. oh well!

mattingly moved him to middle relief and i can't adjust any pitching rotation lol. i guess because mattingly is "legendary" status it wont let me do anything with the starting rosters/rotations. oh well!

lol you might be able to go into game strategy for Kershaw and force him into a SP role. I don't know how that works with managers that won't allow you to adjust lineups though.

You can change his position to SP but if the manager has lineup and rotation control he'll do whatever he wants.

Bob Melvin does the same thing. The Art Howe problem from Moneyball lol.

Bog

Junior Ace
You can change his position to SP but if the manager has lineup and rotation control he'll do whatever he wants.

Bob Melvin does the same thing. The Art Howe problem from Moneyball lol.

Yeah, that's how I got Cease to be the "sorta Closer".

I really gotta upgrade at third base. It's been a complete shit show there since I took over. I'm happy with all my other positions though.

Well, that was a disappointing, but unsurprising end. Now I start shedding players in a half-decade long spiral into mediocrity.

Well, that was a disappointing, but unsurprising end. Now I start shedding players in a half-decade long spiral into mediocrity.

Thankfully some of my core players are young but my really good ones are getting up there in age (As in they're getting closer to 30 or past it)

Rommel

I figure I have a 3 year window left with my studs. I think I have a decent next gen setup but not as good as Wong etc. Might start seeing pieces after next year.

My next gen setup is pretty much the dudes I just drafted. I'm probably going to have a year or two where I am in the Braves-tier

Thankfully some of my core players are young but my really good ones are getting up there in age (As in they're getting closer to 30 or past it)

I have guys that I think are starting to decline at 25-26. I have a solid core locked down, either through long term deals, or the fact that they're still in their arb years, but if they can't even keep it together through their 20's...

I'm really afraid of what Abbott is going to be in 2030, the last year of his fresh 10 year extension. Probably a DH hitting .230 with single digit homers. Can't wait.

Back to the fielding chat. Did a very basic linear regression on the correlation of Wins and ZR.

XL1n7ZA.jpg

Turns out, about 9% of the variability in wins between teams can be explained by differences in ZR.

Of course, this is very simple, and doesn't include the many other variables that a multivariate regression model would give you.

In any case, Minnesota led the league with a +59.6 ZR but only achieved 77 wins as it was bogged down by an anemic offense producing a .704 OPS, 11th in the AL. Jarid Joseph became the definition of slick fielding 3B with a +17.8 ZR and 1.082 EFF.

Toronto had the 2nd best ZR at +56.0, and eeked into the playoffs. Toronto may have one of the best fielding teams up the middle, ever. Brendan Rodgers at 2B (+17.3 ZR, 1.055 EFF), SS Freddie Zamora (+10.6, 1.066) and CF Garrett Whitley (+15.2, 1.056) likely won as many games with their gloves as with their bats.

On the other end, Pittsburgh was real bad. It's -89.4 ZR was horrid, hurting its pitching staff and driving it to a 4.15 ERA, 12th in the NL, despite the staff striking out 1,343, 2nd in the NL only to the Dodgers. Problem was, every time an opposing player hit the ball it would go right through the defense, allowing opposing hitters to bat at a .257 clip. Everyone in Pittsburgh was bad at catching the baseball, but none worse than 3B Hunter Morris and his -15.9 ZR and .919 EFF. While easier to overlook when considering Morris' .880 OPS and .281-31-88 line, his 35 3B rating certainly hurt the World Champs. Also terrible was 1B Steven de la Mota with a -10.5 ZR and .897 EFF. A natural LF and rated only 30 at 1B, he held an .860 OPS and hit a cool .304-25-112, but having both Mota and Morris playing out of position the entire season certainly hurt the team.

Interesting info. It only reinforces what I believe to be important in baseball (and life), and that is how important balance is. That's what I try to shoot for with the Twins, and I think I could have had a chance to sneak into the post-season again this year, but I knew Sano wasn't ultimately a part of my future plans, so I wanted to unload him while I could get some value in return. Once I did that, I was waiving the white flag on the season and saying, "Let's look to the future."

Congrats to all the playoff teams and wildcard winners.

(did EZ quit the league after his ban? Can't blame him, if so. It seems he hasn't updated in a while.)

I like the Twins a lot. All the core players are under 26, solid rotation, good bullpen, all the key pieces under long term team control, good payroll flexibility and a bunch of solid prospects at AAA. Garrett Mitchell is a guy I would be thrilled to have. Twins look like solid contenders.

Well, that's not a good start.

With a fully rested bullpen, Melvin decides to let Zimmer give up 7 in game 1 before bringing in the Rule 5 guy.

In game 2, Melvin allows Wood to give up 4 across the 7th and 8th before bringing in relief.

$30m in payroll for the 2 starting pitchers to begin this series and they both lay big stinky terd eggs.

Winning 3 in a row is going to be a huge challenge. What a disaster start. Ugh. Fire everyone.

phierce

Hey guys...just decided to pick this up. I plan to play around on my own, learn the ropes, etc, and if there's room next GOBL season, possibly hop in.

With that said, question for you all. Just starting out, would it be more beneficial to act as Manager, GM or both? (Guessing all of you are just GM?)

Hey guys...just decided to pick this up. I plan to play around on my own, learn the ropes, etc, and if there's room next GOBL season, possibly hop in.

With that said, question for you all. Just starting out, would it be more beneficial to act as Manager, GM or both? (Guessing all of you are just GM?)

It depends on how you want to play it. I always play as both, since I want to handle signings and trades, while also setting my rotations and line-ups (at least at the big league level).

I was not expecting to be up on CLE 2-0. Matt Moore and Dylan Bundy were both pretty bad this year, but they're starting to put together a pretty good postseason track record. Wish my manager would give Danner a shot. I think it's still possible I choke this one away. My pitching is bad.

Well would you prefer managing the hitter to hitter strategies of a game, decide on pinch hitters, watch the events of each game unfold or would you rather manage the overall team and roster, manage salaries, sign free agents and that kind of thing?

I like playing both, but one is cracking a beer and picking some classic teams and seeing how teams from different eras would look like playing each other, the other is stressing out about waiting to see if a free agent takes my offer or goes to the goddam Dodgers.

Enjoy! Hope to see you join GOBL... we're in the playoffs now, so joining right after the playoffs would be great timing.

phierce

So...injuries always this ridiculous? I mean, losing 3 starters down for months+ before the end of April, really? Am I missing a fix or just suck it up?

Game is awesome other than that.

So...injuries always this ridiculous? I mean, losing 3 starters down for months+ before the end of April, really? Am I missing a fix or just suck it up?

Game is awesome other than that.

Look at the Dodgers this year. Injury clusters happen. Your sample size is 1. Sometimes, that 1 gets the statistical outlier.

Top Bottom