• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

Called up my stud prospects, might as well give them a shot. I'm quite disappointed my pitching staff held up throughout the season but I'm not going to make the playoffs. I need to (and will) focus on the other part of the field.

Rommel

Called up my stud prospects, might as well give them a shot. I'm quite disappointed my pitching staff held up throughout the season but I'm not going to make the playoffs. I need to (and will) focus on the other part of the field.

I've found decent bats are harder to find than a pitches who can toss up a 4 or lower ERA. This year I'm trying the death by a thousand paper cuts model with my lineup and it seems to be working well.

We might need to adjust the stolen base slider... They are waaaaaaaay down.

I've found decent bats are harder to find than a pitches who can toss up a 4 or lower ERA. This year I'm trying the death by a thousand paper cuts model with my lineup and it seems to be working well.

We might need to adjust the stolen base slider... They are waaaaaaaay down.
I think my problem is also my poor fielding. I just kind of throw guys everywhere. That doesn't help either.

I chalk up a fair bit of my slide from last year to sub par fielding. Breaking in a new-to-the-position rookie 2B, on top of shifting my outfielders, and everyone just getting older has set me back a bit.

Rommel

Yah defense is something I'm always a stickler for. One of the reasons I was willing to move Lamb, felt his defense was slipping.

Yah defense is something I'm always a stickler for. One of the reasons I was willing to move Lamb, felt his defense was slipping.

LOL, one of the reasons I traded Lund was that I was unhappy with his CF ratings, but he's definitely been great for you in center. A +9.1 ZR and 1.048 EFF with a 2.4 WAR ain't bad at all, especially for a part time player.

You definitely got the better of that deal. Hernandez went right into the toilet after the trade and I ended up releasing him and eating that huge salary, while Lamb has been solid with a 2.6 WAR but quite average defensively.

If I'd gone with Lund in CF and Simcox at 3B I'm sure I'd be in a much better position than I've been with a below average CF in McCarthy (who ended up there basically by default) and Lamb. And I have to carry Lamb for the next 4 seasons.

Only good thing about Lamb is that he's so damned popular for some reason he's had my attendance up right away.

But yep, tip of the cap on that trade.

brentech

My first couple seasons I tried to build around only defensive players. It works pretty decent on a budget, but also hard to win in the playoffs.

Rommel

LOL, one of the reasons I traded Lund was that I was unhappy with his CF ratings, but he's definitely been great for you in center. A +9.1 ZR and 1.048 EFF with a 2.4 WAR ain't bad at all, especially for a part time player.

You definitely got the better of that deal. Hernandez went right into the toilet after the trade and I ended up releasing him and eating that huge salary, while Lamb has been solid with a 2.6 WAR but quite average defensively.

If I'd gone with Lund in CF and Simcox at 3B I'm sure I'd be in a much better position than I've been with a below average CF in McCarthy (who ended up there basically by default) and Lamb. And I have to carry Lamb for the next 4 seasons.

Only good thing about Lamb is that he's so damned popular for some reason he's had my attendance up right away.

But yep, tip of the cap on that trade.

Lund was going to be full time but he got injured and then Bray decided to have a 1.000 OPS so it turned into a platoon. Worked out for the best in the OF. Wish Ozuna would hit a bit more.

My first couple seasons I tried to build around only defensive players. It works pretty decent on a budget, but also hard to win in the playoffs.

I tried getting all glove no bat outfielders and it kinda worked, but my players I expected to hit never did. Defense is super important in OOTP though.

Miguel Sano has 9 homers in 35 games as a Mariner. Only two players on my roster have more, Alex Jackson with 12 in 104 games and Gareth Morgan with 17 in 95 games.

SafeCo is where hitters go to die.

At least Chase DeJong appears to be back to Cy Young caliber!

Also w/r/t free agents, we saw a guy like Puig hit the open market. I think the main thing is how low to mid level old guys are almost not worth signing, but I feel there has been top end talent every year.

If anything I feel like the ease of getting contributors in the Rule 5 draft offsets some of this.

If anything I feel like the ease of getting contributors in the Rule 5 draft offsets some of this.

I can vouch for this part, at least. Not something I want to abuse going forward, but I picked up two instant starters (and a third big contributor) in rule 5. That's largely because my team was devoid of talent at the MLB level, but still.

I love the rule 5. My offense would be an Abbott-less void without it.

Too bad I couldn't get any pitchers of value off it. Maybe I wouldn't be auditioning every guy I have who has any stamina for my 4th and 5th rotation slots, since the wheels just came off Musgrove and Honeywell.

So Peguero plays 6 seasons in the minors, never getting higher than an .803 OPS.

Gets 91 games in 2019, OPS of .899. 2020 is first full season, OPS of 1.044 and a 7.5WAR in 135 games. Projects to 9 WAR over a full season.

Last guy to get a 9.0 WAR season at age 24?

Willie Mays in 1955.

Still a ways away from Lou Gehrig's 11.8 WAR in 1927, youngest guy to get there. Bunch of other guys had higher WAR seasons at 24, Foxx, ARod, Speaker, Ripken... point is Peguero is doing some historic stuff.

Also, Peguero is Haitian. There isn't a Haitian player in MLB right now. Best Haitian baseball player ever.

9-1 in September, 9 game winning streak, moved out of last place for the first time in forever.
I called up a bunch of guys figuring that since I was 5 games out of a wild card spot I was toast. But last sim they won all but 1 game. Interested to see how this turns out.

And yeah after all the talk about fielding, I took a look at my guys. A -24 zone rating is good right? Right?...

brentech

Sim: 7 days + 1
Current in-game date: Sept 16, 2020
Notes: There was a stop in the sim and ended up going a day over.

Indians lost yet another player. Outfielder this time - will miss the rest of the season with a fractured cheekbone. He was hit by a pitch against Houston back on 9/10.
Barring any setbacks, I'll get one of my three injured players back for a last few games of the season. =(

Bog

Junior Ace
I have two guys with two of the best ERAs in the league, then 3 guys in the 4.xx's and 5.xx's. Ok.

Sim: 7 days + 1
Current in-game date: Sept 16, 2020
Notes: There was a stop in the sim and ended up going a day over.

Indians lost yet another player. Outfielder this time - will miss the rest of the season with a fractured cheekbone. He was hit by a pitch against Houston back on 9/10.
Barring any setbacks, I'll get one of my three injured players back for a last few games of the season. =(

Ponce sends his regards. He was saving that killer beanball for the Texas series, but it came out a start early.

I don't know what is up with my pitching this season. Even Buchanan just allowed 10. After last season, I guess Mark Buehrle felt his job as PC was complete and had nothing left to teach.

brentech

Luckily I had a couple outfielders on hand, but damn these late season injuries are just a kick in the nuts to this team.

Got a message that contract expired on some lower team personell. Starting going through and resigning guys / moving guys around. Pete Rose Jr getting the bump up from rookie league duties to Midwest Single A.

My AA coach, Brian Buchanan, now has legendary status. I will likely let him take over the big leagues when Francona's contract expires at the end of next season.

My AA coach, Brian Buchanan, now has legendary status. I will likely let him take over the big leagues when Francona's contract expires at the end of next season.

Hold up.

Former Twin, Padre and Met Brian Buchanan?

This guy?

brian+buchanan+4.jpg

This guy is a Legendary manager?

EDIT: Seems like he is actually climbing the ranks of the Royals minor league system

On November 18, 2009, he retired. He is now coaching in the Kansas City Royals Minor League system. He was manager for the Idaho Falls Chukars of the Pioneer Baseball League in 2010 and 2011. In 2012, he was manager of the Kane County Cougars of the Class A, Midwest League. In 2013, he became manager of the Lexington Legends, the new Royals Class A affiliate in the South Atlantic League.

So Peguero plays 6 seasons in the minors, never getting higher than an .803 OPS.

Gets 91 games in 2019, OPS of .899. 2020 is first full season, OPS of 1.044 and a 7.5WAR in 135 games. Projects to 9 WAR over a full season.

Last guy to get a 9.0 WAR season at age 24?

Willie Mays in 1955.

Still a ways away from Lou Gehrig's 11.8 WAR in 1927, youngest guy to get there. Bunch of other guys had higher WAR seasons at 24, Foxx, ARod, Speaker, Ripken... point is Peguero is doing some historic stuff.

Also, Peguero is Haitian. There isn't a Haitian player in MLB right now. Best Haitian baseball player ever.

Peguero is so good. The Dodgers are so stocked that if someone was actually managing them they'd probably destroy us.

Woo! Tacoma won the PCL. Now here's hoping Jackson can win the Southern League!

Aren't the playoffs still going? You sure they didn't just win the first round? Have a couple guys at Nashville I was going to bring up after the playoffs ended and didn't because it looked like the finals hadn't started yet?

Well, lost my closer for 13 months. Britton has been solid, but it seems like his workload this year has been really heavy. 123 innings for a closer seems off. I assume he'll pick up his player option and make 7.5 million sitting at home next season.

On the brightside, sims have been going great. 5 game lead in the division. Carbonell comes back next sim. Hopefully I can hang on and at least make the playoffs. Saw last season how anything can happen once you get there.

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Current in-game date: Sept 23, 2020
Notes: Just two games remain until the end of the season.

The Indians lost two more starters. SS Lindor missing a week and SP Thornburg has injury pending still. That is now 5 starters (2 SP) that are currently injured....

So far, it looks like just the A's and the Phillies have locked in a playoff spot.

Aren't the playoffs still going? You sure they didn't just win the first round? Have a couple guys at Nashville I was going to bring up after the playoffs ended and didn't because it looked like the finals hadn't started yet?

It looked like the PCL season was over but maybe I was wrong? I only called up two players so the roster was still okay.

Notes: Just two games remain until the end of the season.

The Indians lost two more starters. SS Lindor missing a week and SP Thornburg has injury pending still. That is now 5 starters (2 SP) that are currently injured....

So far, it looks like just the A's and the Phillies have locked in a playoff spot.

this doesn't sound like a good Marlins sim...

Weeeeeeeeeird. I am an idiot though. So wouldn't be surprised if I was completely wrong.

No you were right. I think I had no games because I won my series and yours hadn't finished. The website now shows that I have 3 games against Nashville. Series is tied 1-1, you won game 1 in 14 innings. 5 runs in the 9th helped.

I'm at 100% playoff odds, so I assume I've locked up at least a WC birth. This season has been a success. I'm going to let Farrell's contract run out, so I'm looking for a new manager. Might have an option or two inside my organization. If he'd let me set my line-ups, Farrell could stay forever. He's just not using a few guys enough.

One surprise has been Christin Stewart. Got him off waivers last year, my scout loves him and he's hit well in limited opportunities. Might be my DH next year, while also backing up C, 1B, and the corner OF. Good guy to have, gives me some flexibility.

I can't believes before this sim updates I'm 5 back. Like I'm pretty damn sure I had an 8 game lead not that long ago.

7 back now what is happening ;______;

Unless I continue an epic collapse a wild card game faceoff against the Dodgers is again likely -_-

No you were right. I think I had no games because I won my series and yours hadn't finished. The website now shows that I have 3 games against Nashville. Series is tied 1-1, you won game 1 in 14 innings. 5 runs in the 9th helped.

Okay yeah.

Looks like it's actually 2-2 in the best of 7. No real breakout performers but a close series.

Unfortunately Springfield took out my Midland RockHounds for the Texas League championship. Congrats Cards! C Zeke Pinkham of Springfield had a cool 1.300 OPS during the series, going 9 for 20 with 1 HR and 8 RBI.

I saw you picked up Vargas Cheeto. You're becoming the Pacific Coast Twins. :p

I would have considered extending him, but every time I checked his contract wishes, he was looking for 7 years @ 10-11 million per season. I was like, "Yeah, no. Don't let the door hit you on the way out", so I just released him. :p Plus, I didn't have any room for him in my future plans. He has been a productive player most of the time though. He's on the wrong side of 30 now though, as well.

I saw you picked up Vargas Cheeto. You're becoming the Pacific Coast Twins. :p

I would have considered extending him, but every time I checked his contract wishes, he was looking for 7 years @ 10-11 million per season. I was like, "Yeah, no. Don't let the door hit you on the way out", so I just released him. :p Plus, I didn't have any room for him in my future plans. He has been a productive player most of the time though. He's on the wrong side of 30 now though, as well.

Well I honestly just wanted someone to play first for the rest of the season, as my best option was Dan Vogelbach and he can't play defense. But then after I grabbed him Pedro Alvarez remembered how to hit a little so it was pointless.

He still wants that much money which I'm not giving him. I also have another upcoming FA who wants NINE YEARS at $19mm a year, so it'll be fun watching the robo Yankees pick him up.

brentech

Notes:Oakland's Joe McCarthy, Seattle's Miguel Sano, Cleveland's Tyler Thornburg, Baltimore's Michael Matuella all will miss the rest of the season.

Orioles have a 5 game lead on the Blue Jays for AL East.
Indians and Royals locked up for the AL Central. Tigers are 2 1/2 games back
A's have secured the AL West. Houston currently leads in the Wildcard run.

The Phillies and the Marlins have both secured playoff spots, and the Mets aren't ruled out for the NL East.
Cubs took the NL Central.
Arizona locked up NL west and the Dodgers still have a shot at the Wildcard.

AL Central will come down to the final 4 game series between the Indians and the Royals that ends the season.

Owww quit it. Losing my starting CF McCarthy for the playoffs hurts.

And Burns, the backup CF, also out for the playoffs.

Well, Shit.

brentech

Sim: 6 days
Notes: The regular season is complete.
Balitmore secures wins division.
Houston and Toronto secure Wildcard.
Cleveland win the division.
Since the others weren't in the news, I think we already knew the rest in the playoffs.
Blue Jays face the Astros
Dodgers face the Marlins
Set your playoff rosters guys.
Boston's Tzu-Wei Lin captured the AL hitting crown while Li Mann of the Phillies took it for the NL.

Indians AA team won the Eastern League for a 3rd year in a row. Set off the fireworks!

Top Bottom