• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

This season really sucks. I changed almost nothing from a 110 win team, and am struggling to stay above .500 now.

Hey Brent, next time you fire up the Trade-i-nator, could you jam Joe Musgrove's sorry ass in that thing?

Kicking myself for not shipping him for Sano now. :(

Springer available as a rental, if anyone wants a top-3 CF.

This is my first year playing the game, but I suggest they rename it to "OOTP Baseball 17: MASH Edition."

The injuries just seem...I dunno, ridiculous? I've largely escaped the worst of it since I really only have 1-2 guys valuable enough to really make a difference if they go down, but across all my leagues I continually have between 15-20 dudes on the DL. Seems like a ton. And a lot of those injuries are four multiple months.

-----

Does anyone have any insight into how player development works? I now have a lot of hot prospect pitchers after some trading and the draft, most with a projected potential in the low to mid-70s. And yet they're sitting at 20 actual rating right now pitching at various levels of the minors based on their age and pitch ratings. One of them has climbed up to 29 overall, while the rest are still sitting at 20 or 21. Should I expect a big pop during the offseason? Or am I nuts to think that a 22 year old prospect would at least steadily climb to 30 or 40 overall after a season in AA or AAA?

Kicking myself for not shipping him for Sano now. :(

And the price wasn't that prohibitive imo. (Especially now. :p) I'm glad you didn't bite because I prefer the deal Cheeto and I were able to work out, so...thanks for that. :p

I love Sano and hated moving him, but with Joseph he was relegated to strictly DH role for me and, despite his power production, he strikes out too much for my tastes. That and the fact that I had a youngster who needed to come up who is a better defensive backup at both 3rd and SS who can obviously DH too, and I had to move him. I'll miss his leadership and pop, but you can't make room for everyone. I've got enough other leaders that I think we'll be ok long-term. I did really hate letting a guy go who was signed to such a team-friendly deal as well though, but tough choices have to be made sometimes.

In the short term, I think we'll take a hit as we adjust to new dynamics from some roster changes, but I made the move for the long-term. Fans hated losing Sano and Buxton, but fickle fans put their butts in the seats when you win, regardless of the name and number on the back.

I also loved Buxton's talent, and he's performed very well for me in the past, but I'm trying to build a really team-centric, unselfish group, and I kept having the feeling that he was maybe a bit of a malcontent in Minnesota. I think he's better served where he can be the big star, and more of the center of things. I'm not sure if he'll fill that position in Seattle, but that's not my issue to worry about. (Hopefully he succeeds there.)

I may be reading too much into these digital players. :p

Does anyone have any insight into how player development works? I now have a lot of hot prospect pitchers after some trading and the draft, most with a projected potential in the low to mid-70s. And yet they're sitting at 20 actual rating right now pitching at various levels of the minors based on their age and pitch ratings. One of them has climbed up to 29 overall, while the rest are still sitting at 20 or 21. Should I expect a big pop during the offseason? Or am I nuts to think that a 22 year old prospect would at least steadily climb to 30 or 40 overall after a season in AA or AAA?

I'm no expert on this, but I think the OVR is a major league comparable. Plenty of the best prospects in A or AA ball now would be absolutely demolished if they were brought up to face MLB pitching (which is why they're still in the minors).

Some guys will steadily increase their OVR, and once in a while a pitcher will get a new pitch or something and his OVR will pop overnight (Arjenis Fernandez went from 25 OVR to over 70 OVR in one development update after he learned a new pitch).

Two seasons ago I started overinvesting in the development budget in the offseason, basically doubling the amount of money I had prior. It may just be confirmation bias, but I do think it makes a big difference. I have a number of guys that show positive progression that I just don't remember happening in the first few seasons.

Again, could all be garbage, but those are my impressions after a few seasons.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

Damn dude. I'm so sorry. =(

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Current in-game date: July 30, 2020
Notes: Trading deadline is effectively at the time of sim tomorrow (next in game day).

Matt Carpenter's shop returns two White Sox players: RP Mat Latos, C Evan Gattis

----------
Unrelated to our league, I decided to see what happened if I just took a bunch of the top players in the league and placed them on the Indians. Giving the Indians a billion dollar operating budget - I traded no name prospects for the likes of Trout and Kershaw. With an outfield of Harper, Trout, Stanton.....Harper ended up winning the triple crown.

The ALCS almost took the team out, down 2-3 in the series, but they won two to get into the World Series. Once there, they started 1-1, and took the next 3 games to win it.

sX0xLZO.png

End of season stats
Dys5prt.png

brentech

brentech

Current in-game date: Aug 6, 2020
Notes: Miguel Cabrera won the AL batter of the month. Dylan Cozens won the NL BotM.
Pitchers of the month were the A's Graveman and the Brewer's Bergner.

Going to be out of town until Tuesday with no access to the game. Is the best choice just to turn everything over to my manager until I can resume control? Trying to decide if that's riskier, or if I take a greater chance leaving things on auto-pilot for what will translate into a month of in game time.

Going to be out of town until Tuesday with no access to the game. Is the best choice just to turn everything over to my manager until I can resume control? Trying to decide if that's riskier, or if I take a greater chance leaving things on auto-pilot for what will translate into a month of in game time.

I went on vacay one year, set everything to auto. Came back and half my bullpen was traded for 2 old OF that I ended up releasing.

Next time, I'll set everything to auto outside of trades.

Sano at 0.9 WAR in 11 games since the trade. Finally something positive! Buxton at 0.4! Praise be to Yevon!

I noticed that your run production is up in this last sim...dramatically. :) Glad the trade is working out for you.

I am, as I expected, suffering in the short-term, but I think things will be better for me down the road. I'm about as young as can be for a big-league roster overall, so I'm looking at things from a patient perspective.

brentech

Eznark mentioned this early in the original thread. What his other league does with a dearth of talent to acquire outside of trading, his league prevents GMs from resigning their players outside of the arb years.
Once free agency hits, everyone has a shot.

Not saying we're doing this, but would like to hear some feedback. Such as a) do you think the talent pool in free agency is similar to the real world? B) if not, do you think our current MO is a functional setup for this league in the long term? Is there something else you would change if we decide to?

Rommel

Eznark mentioned this early in the original thread. What his other league does with a dearth of talent to acquire outside of trading, his league prevents GMs from resigning their players outside of the arb years.

Not saying we're doing this, but would like to hear some feedback. Such as a) do you think the talent pool in free agency is similar to the real world? B) if not, do you think our current MO is a functional setup for this league in the long term? Is there something else you would change if we decide to?

I feel like it has worked pretty well how we've had it. There have been some stars that have hit the market. I think limiting the ability of teams to buy out some post arb years will really hamper the smaller market teams.

I think it's been fine as well. We've seen good players hit the market and it's not like there's been an abundance of talent go to free agency in real life.

Runs scored pre-trade: 354 in 95 games for 3.73 per game
Runs scored post-trade 88 in 18 games for 4.88 per game

10-8 record since the trade, the offense numbers are skewed by my series against Chicago (30 runs in 3 games) and Boston (23 in 4 games). But I guess it is progress.

brentech

Current in-game date: Aug 20, 2020
Notes: We're closing in on roster expansion date. will stop in that day in case people want to add players

Rommel

3 extra inning games in a row with the last one being 17 innings. Yah my bullpen needs a rest day. But of course I'm a week or so out on that with another double header in 4 days.

I'm pretty satisfied with things as they have been. Personally, I don't think we need too much tweaking. Of course it would be nice if we had more options for CPU/Player transactions, but that's more of an OOTP issue. Overall, I think the league is functioning pretty well.

brentech

Current in-game date: Aug 27, 2020
Notes: Will stop tomorrow's sim short tomorrow in order to allow for roster expansion.

I was wondering why Pedro Alvarez thought he was suddenly worth re-signing, then I check his line from this week 6-22 4 home runs.

Guess he finally remembered how to hit!

Came back from a long weekend away and...damn. The CPU does some rather stupid stuff with lineups, personnel moves, etc. It took me a good two hours to get everything settled back the way I want it.

brentech

Sim: 5 days
Current in-game date: Sept 1, 2020
Notes: Roster expansion is available.

Indians went 0-5 that sim and lost a starting pitcher for the remainder of the seasons.
ggdire.gif

No love for the Royals $59M payroll!

LOL 3 guys account for more than half your total team salary. Wow. Can't wait for that Santana deal to end eh? Going after Trout? Looks like you should have some cap space!

Whoa Brandon McCabe already made it to the big club and is dealing. Nice. 27 Ks in his first 3 starts holy shit.

LOL 3 guys account for more than half your total team salary. Wow. Can't wait for that Santana deal to end eh? Going after Trout? Looks like you should have some cap space!

Whoa Brandon McCabe already made it to the big club and is dealing. Nice. 27 Ks in his first 3 starts holy shit.

Santana feels like a handcuff. Just a disgraceful contract that I have zero chance to dump for three seasons.

I wanted to keep McCabe down at AAA for a full season, but he's already better than the guys I'm tossing on the mound at the MLB level. I'll keep an eye on him, since I don't want to stunt his growth, but he seems like he might be the real deal.

Was going to make a post about how Puig has been completely worth the money, now he's out 6 weeks :(. And I lost Carbonell, who's on pace for 40 HRs, for 2-3 weeks. Man, not a good time to lose two of my best hitters. This might cost me the playoffs.

On the brightside, with roster expansion and my sudden need for OFers, top prospect Jacob Allred will get a shot to play a lot this month. Also called up SP Hagen Danner. One of these guys needs to be a stud and inject some life into this team.

brentech

Yea. I was just talking to phee about my up and coming pitchers, and a starter goes down for the season. Sending a couple guys up and seeing if they stick.

Rommel

Was going to make a post about how Puig has been completely worth the money, now he's out 6 weeks :(. And I lost Carbonell, who's on pace for 40 HRs, for 2-3 weeks. Man, not a good time to lose two of my best hitters. This might cost me the playoffs.

On the brightside, with roster expansion and my sudden need for OFers, top prospect Jacob Allred will get a shot to play a lot this month. Also called up SP Hagen Danner. One of these guys needs to be a stud and inject some life into this team.

Carbonell is interesting this year... 13 2B/3B's and 32 HR's

Top Bottom