• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

2 of my SPs hit the 60 day DL this sim! Awesome. I've got plenty of back-end depth, but I'm struggling to find useable options for my bullpen. 37 year old Mike Dunn's arm is going to fall off if he keeps going 2+ innings. I should look into fixing that, but I don't know who could even pick up the slack.

If anyone has a relief arm available, hit me up.

On the plus side, I did go 6-0 and took the division lead, so it's not all bad.

Got the 2nd and 21st, and the 7th pick of the supplemental round. I have no idea how draft order works in these drafts. The rockies have 3 of the first 6 picks!

Ahhhhh the draft. Setting up tomorrow's disappointment today.

I look forward to my #1 pick's UCL tear in 2026.

Who you taking first? I didn't even sign the guy I drafted when I had the first pick fucking greedy asshole!

Has anyone had a drafted player become a bonafide star yet? Like not just one great season, but legit.

I thought Willie Abreu was gonna be a star but he's fucking trash this season. Most of my offensive players are now drafted players.

Kolby Allard has been consistently decent and is having a great season this year. He's the next Shelby Miller!

They're all bums!

Has anyone had a drafted player become a bonafide star yet? Like not just one great season, but legit.
Nope, no one even close on my end that I can think of either. Best hitter was an Intl Amateur FA, best pitcher was via trade.

Is there an easy way to look at draft history? I'd like to go back and look at how my early guys are doing.

Jesus F Christ. My starting SS just went down.

OMG. AND MY 2B (2 WEEKS) AND MY 1B (6 WEEKS)

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of my best players were trade or rule 5 acquisitions. Although I do have a handful of players on my big league club who were 2015 draftees, including my normal starting 2B (Meola), his backup (Schrock), my starting C (McPherson), and one of my relievers (Monroe).

The best player I drafted didn't sign and became a minor star in Philly. (Brendan Rodgers) The next 2 best were traded to Cleveland to get Bauer.

Nope. I've got two guys I really like from my first draft in the league, but they have no track record and I don't know if they have star potential. SP Danner needs to generate more Ks. Allred needs to hit a little better and keep playing all-world defense in CF. I think he's the biggest reason my defense and pitching is so improved this year.

This made me go back and look at last years draft log. Man, I wish I had Dan Wilson. Two teams failed to sign him (DET and MIL), he started his first full season in the majors. Great defense, good base running, and plus power at SS. He looks like a STUD.

Rommel

Wakamatsu, Baker, Tolbert and Farnsworth are my only draft wins so far. Didn't help I lost the #2 overall in 2017 to a CEI after one start :(

All of my best players were trade or rule 5 acquisitions. Although I do have a handful of players on my big league club who were 2015 draftees, including my normal starting 2B (Meola), his backup (Schrock), my starting C (McPherson), and one of my relievers (Monroe).

The best player I drafted didn't sign and became a minor star in Philly. (Brendan Rodgers) The next 2 best were traded to Cleveland to get Bauer.

Rodgers is in Toronto where he's average about 3.5 WAR per healthy season, mostly from his defense.

Edit: unless you meant David Bedgood in Philly who is a monster. Almost 10 WAR last season and already 3.3 this season.

John Aiello has accumulated 9.0 WAR and a career wRC+ of just under 100 for me. My two next best drafted players are Tyler Malone and Herbet Iser.

I only have 1 starter in my rotation that I drafted. The other 4 came from Rule 5, trade, international amateur and minor league free agent.

It was Rodgers, I just got the team wrong. Bedgood is a super stud though. Damn.

At this point I'm not managing to win, I'm managing to keep my team from flying apart. So as well as Pineda has been doing for me, I had to cut his slacker ass.

The Pirates AAA team has 6 wins.

AND THIRTY SIX LOSSES.

How did the Pirates go from WS Winners to so awful, I wish I had time to research this.

Also going back to drafted players who are good:

Dominic DiCaprio C DET is having his best season, already over 2.5 WAR after 3.5 last year.

Justin Hooper is having another amazing season, he's 24 has 1 Cy Young and finished third for another.

I view Jarid Joseph as a star. He's put up over 21 wins in 3 1/3 seasons and seems to be getting better. He was my top pick in the 2017 draft (#3 overall). He was the only guy I put on my board that year, as opposed to the 244 this draft. :p

Some may view him as a fringe star, but I don't. I think he's legit one of the best players in the league already.

Jarid Joseph is a legit superstar. #2 ranked position player by OSA. His age-25 comp is Chipper Jones.

Dominic DiCaprio is #4.

Alex Abbott is no longer on the list. :(

Alex Abbott is no longer on the list. :(

That made me think about player decline. There's nothing more disappointing than a really good player that starts going downhill in a hurry. Except for maybe a top prospect that just utterly fizzles. That's happened way too many times for me. Nothing like watching an overall potential rating drop from the 70s to the 20s overnight. Sooooo deflating.

deflate-balloon400.jpg

This season has been brutal with the declining.

Ponce has almost fully declined, but his ratings haven't reflected it yet. Adames was supposed to be solid, but never really got going. Correa is starting to suck, well before he turns 30. Lavisky can't field anymore. I'm not convinced Meola will ever learn to hit. Abbott teased me by getting the SS last year in an injury-shortened season, but his bat is garbage this year.

With some of my players I wonder about the chicken/egg issue of whether their decline is causing the losing, or if their losing is causing their decline.

Rommel

Yah everything is going sideways for me this year... 3 of my starters are serving up over 2 HR's per 9. I'm seriously getting BABIP'd to death, I thought it might be my defense but it still is ranked pretty high, just horrible luck it seems.

On the bright side, Octavio Morales is one of the 10 players in the league my SD thinks is an 80/80, despite batting .197 and being the worst fielder in the league. Hopefully someday playing 1B will click for him and he'll not be a human error machine.

I view Jarid Joseph as a star. He's put up over 21 wins in 3 1/3 seasons and seems to be getting better. He was my top pick in the 2017 draft (#3 overall). He was the only guy I put on my board that year, as opposed to the 244 this draft. :p

Some may view him as a fringe star, but I don't. I think he's legit one of the best players in the league already.

Oh, I thought Joseph was a guy who was already in your system and not someone who got drafted. He's absolutely a star. I think he's the only third baseman outperforming Sano in the league right now.

Hrm, I think I messed up and there is no draft list to make today....hopefully people were keeping up to date

I made one last night.

Hrm, I think I messed up and there is no draft list to make today....hopefully people were keeping up to date
I did mine previously but it didn't carry over into yesterday's sim which was frustrating. I essentially wasted a lot of time, so I'm just relying on my scout for this draft.

I mean, that's what I pay the SD for. Hire good people, and hopefully they'll make good decisions. I'm starting to wonder if getting rid of Gasparino was the right thing to do.

Oh, I thought Joseph was a guy who was already in your system and not someone who got drafted. He's absolutely a star. I think he's the only third baseman outperforming Sano in the league right now.

Which is the only reason Sano is in Seattle. ;)

He was just going to be redundant for me. Granted, I could have used him as a DH, but I thought he'd be better off as a chip. But that contract...MAN, was it hard to let go with the deal he had/has. I guess it's about to expire though, isn't it...maybe next year?

I wonder what he'll ask for at the end of his current deal. If I remember, I think he had a high greed rating, which was another reason I was shocked to sign him to such a long-term, team friendly deal way back then.

Got Jeremy Burton again. Took him first overall last season and 2nd overall this draft. Also got a catcher my scout really likes but osa hates and Omar Infante Jr who my scout loves. Nice first round

Damn the Angels took Montoya that's who I really wanted

My backup 3b and catcher, just called both of them up, are both on the all star ballot but not my starters. Lol.
And my backup LF that's been on the DL since week one wtf

Which is the only reason Sano is in Seattle. ;)

He was just going to be redundant for me. Granted, I could have used him as a DH, but I thought he'd be better off as a chip. But that contract...MAN, was it hard to let go with the deal he had/has. I guess it's about to expire though, isn't it...maybe next year?

I wonder what he'll ask for at the end of his current deal. If I remember, I think he had a high greed rating, which was another reason I was shocked to sign him to such a long-term, team friendly deal way back then.

I don't think I'll be signing him. Between Aiello and Rizzo I should have cheaper options.

Paul Goldschmidt (0.7 WAR, 8HR, 65 rated 1B) on the block if anyone cares. $8.5m salary. Ugh.

Commish if you're bored and want to laugh at the terrible offers, feel free to throw Goldschmidt into the trade o matic?

Someone tell me who I drafted... will be a few hours before I can see :(

1.37 - 1B Tony Garcia
2.32 - CF Stan Davis
3.35 - CF Mike Melton
4.27 - 1B Tony Hicks
5.29 - 1B Jeff Estes
6.29 - CF Jamal Barr
7.29 - 2B Ben Curry
8.29 - CF Chris Duncan
9.29 - CF Joe Roberts
10.29 - CF Bob Griffin
11.29 - SS Bob Stewart
12.29 - SP Kel Hawkins
13.29 - C Jorge Ybarra
14.29 - RF Jorge Hurtado
15.29 - SS Pat Crawford
16.29 - SP Rob St John
17.29 - SS Derek Campbell
18.29 - SP Ed Faulkner
19.29 - SS Joe Hernandez
20.29 - SP Sebastien Bellanger
21.29 - SS Eric Simmons
22.29 - SP Chris Durnford
23.29 - SS Jody Holman
24.29 - SP Eric Walls
25.29 - C Mike Lindsay
26.29 - 3B Tony Thomas
27.29 - SS Steve Holcomb
28.29 - 1B Ted Thompson
29.29 - C Dan Gomez
30.29 - SP Jeremy Smith
31.29 - LF Mitch Jones
32.29 - C Robbie Holland
33.29 - C Ed Burkett
34.29 - SS Spike Shirley

My first 5 picks are all 70+ pot according to my scout. It should cost me less than $3mm to sign them all.

Which lets me decide if I want to spend $2mm+ on any of these not very good, extremely hard to sign HS kids.

Ugh. Swept in a 5 game series by the A's, Ajax down for 3 months, Trout out for 2 weeks. I played this last some with 3 healthy outfielders, ugh.

Edit I guess Trout was hurt in the last game. Still ugh. No Trout for 2 weeks and no Jackson for 3 months.

Top Bottom