• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

Getting all these emails saying my players pitched masterpieces and then seeing my record is disappointing. 8 seasons later and I still haven't built an offense that can do anything at all. This is my worst offense ever

Pitched 3 shutouts this sim!

Checking in from a small European village after many beers... CPU doing okay for oak town, but giving Stallings back to B'more is sad. Baseball is great, you all are great. Rip Jose. Damn.

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Date: Sept 8, 2022
Notes:

Terrible sim for the Indians. I went from 2 games back to 6. Looks like I'm fighting for the wild card at this point. There is still time, but this team goes on hot / cold streaks from hell.

David Bedgood on track for 11.8 WAR, which would tie him with Bonds and Ruth for 4th all time single-season.

Knowing OOTP, I look forward to him being a 20 rated player by age 30.

brentech

Date: Sept 15, 2022
Notes: A's have clinched their division. Handful of teams eliminated from contention.
Congrats again, Cosmic

Rommel

My window closes after next year... I need some pitching to step up before the rebuild occurs... Can't afford to keep Profar and Wong :(

The A's play 12 of the final 15 at home. I play only 7 of my final 16 at home and I'm like a .500 team on the road, Wild Card it is!

Pennant Chase at least has me as 100% playoff odds. The Indians are the favorites for the second Wild Card but New York and Tampa still have a shot. The Orioles and Twins are both division favorites and the Twins are slotted at 100% in.

In the NL the Marlins and Phillies are both at about 98% for the playoffs, Cubs and Brewers are tied but the Brewers are on a slide and Pennant Chase has the Cubs as favorites. Doyers and Rockies are both in, the Rockies are red hot right now.

Definitely a couple of interesting races left!

Edit: Why the eff did San Diego trade Ryan Johnson to Colorado for a 32 year old career minor leaguer? What a lopsided illogical trade. And they got their ace starter from the White Sox for a mediocre catcher and a so so outfield prospect. Good lord the Rockies AI GM is amazing at trades.

Kendall Graveman, he of the 4.1 WAR and 1.11 WHIP last year, is the Dodgers' new NUMBER 5 STARTER.

Ugh.

The Dodgers starting 5 combined for 84 wins last year. My goodness.

Graveman has started ZERO games for the Doyers this year. In fact after averaging 215+ innings per year the past 3 years he has pitched a measly 35.1 innings and accumulated 0.3 WAR.

He's making TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS.

The Dodgers rotation has 69 wins on the season and 20 WAR accumulated. Ridiculous.

And this is with a starting Center Fielder who should be a DH.

By the way the Dodgers have no hitting or pitching coach. They have a team budget of $310mm, a team payroll of $250mm and they still have $14mm in operating budget this season (and $44mm for extensions).

Graveman has started ZERO games for the Doyers this year. In fact after averaging 215+ innings per year the past 3 years he has pitched a measly 35.1 innings and accumulated 0.3 WAR.

He's making TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS.

Pfft! Dodgers don't care about money.

toilet-paper-money.jpg

As for the post season, I feel good going in, but I just wish my starting pitching would be more consistent. Several guys have a dominant start followed by a turd regularly.

I love the leadership on this Twins club, however. I think we'll be ready to play- we seem to be all business when it really matters. We're 6-1 against the A's, but our nemesis seems to be the O's @ 2-5. Hope we can finish the division out and take our 3rd crown in 4 seasons. It sure would be nice to put a cherry on top of things in the end, though.

Rommel

I see my team decided to get hot a month late. Grinding away for a worse draft pick, oh well I get to see what some of the youngsters can do.

brentech

Sim: 7 Days
Date: Sept 22, 2022
Notes: Dodgers clinched.

Cleveland going to play themselves out of the playoffs with a 5 game losing streak. Team imploding down the stretch, but I never expected to be here. Still hurts.

There's always the play-in game, Brent.

I'm also in the midst of a collapse, but considering that this plane was only aloft for a month, and I'll just collect the insurance money in draft picks when it hits the ground, I can't say I'm sad.

I am a little sad too that the Rockies are going to the playoffs the same year they had the 3rd, 4th and 6th overall draft picks. Shit's not fair!

Well, I've gotten Jose back from his long injury, he has a rehab start and then will rejoin us, now deadlocked with the Phillies for first.....1-5 sim...

Jose :(

Well, I uh, apparently lost a power struggle with my first-year manager hire, Jay Baller, this sim. His reputation went up from excellent to outstanding, and my control was stripped. I've never seen that, and didn't know it could happen. I guess I'll take it as a compliment that he was a good hire/promotion. I will miss running the details though, I have to say. (I could just fire him. ;) Although I wouldn't do that since he's been a great guy in our system.)

I did like his new blurb. Something about if baseball is chess, he's a grand master. I'll take it.

brentech

Date: Sept 29, 2022
Notes: Twins, A,s Mariners
Phillies, Dodgers, Rockies

All have spots secured in the playoffs. AL East and NL Central still in tight races. Both leagues have a race for the last WC spot.

One of my goals is to extend Chase DeJong, I checked and he's willing to talk extension now.

He wants 9 years $30mm per. Enjoy being a middle reliever for the Dodgers bruh.

I think I might have extended Manny. I thought I was letting him go, and he hasn't been willing to talk extension all year, but fuck it. Guy is great when he's healthy and he's impossible for me to replace. O for life.

One of my goals is to extend Chase DeJong, I checked and he's willing to talk extension now.

He wants 9 years $30mm per. Enjoy being a middle reliever for the Dodgers bruh.

He'll probably sign with the Cubs for 3/30. Shit always happens to me. I say 'fuck off' to a guys price, then watch them sign to a CPU team for a fraction of that price.

In hindsight, not resigning Singleton killed my team. Tore the heart right out of it. I've mostly replaced his production with Morales, but that kid is a selfish, lazy shithead that everyone hates.

Date: Sept 29, 2022
Notes: Twins, A,s Mariners
Phillies, Dodgers, Rockies

All have spots secured in the playoffs. AL East and NL Central still in tight races. Both leagues have a race for the last WC spot.

I do not like that the Marlins are not on this list....

Dang man, losing Burdi right before the post-season stings. Plus I've been without Giles most of the year. My bullpen has been a real strength, and getting Giles back may help, but he's been out with a lengthy injury, so you never know if he'll be sharp. Time for some other guys (Storen) to step up and be a lock-down, late-innings/pressure-situation guy.

Won't be at a laptop for another week, legit scared what the CPU assistant GM will do with extensions if I don't get back before the offseason starts lol

brentech

Sim: 5 days
Date: Oct 4, 2022
Notes: Currently on playoff begins day, but there still isn't a scheduled game to determine the second WC team out of the AL, between the Indians and the Tigers.

We have a play in game for Atlanta scheduled against the Phillies

Sim: 5 days
Date: Oct 4, 2022
Notes: Currently on playoff begins day, but there still isn't a scheduled game to determine the second WC team out of the AL, between the Indians and the Tigers.

We have a play in game for Atlanta scheduled against the Phillies

Do you mean Miami? Atlanta is trash

brentech

Do you mean Miami? Atlanta is trash

huh, For some reason Phillies vs Braves has a game scheduled for the day the playoffs begin. Doesn't make much sense. Going to sim forward and see if things get fixed.

okay, must have been a makeup game or something. now up to Oct 5 and we have a play in to the play in between the Indians and the Tigers. Both teams 85-77 on the year.

huh, For some reason Phillies vs Braves has a game scheduled for the day the playoffs begin. Doesn't make much sense. Going to sim forward and see if things get fixed.

okay, must have been a makeup game or something. now up to Oct 5 and we have a play in to the play in between the Indians and the Tigers. Both teams 85-77 on the year.

When will our play in game get simmed? Won't be home until tomorrow morning to deal with my team.

Shouldn't I be able to set my playoff roster already? For some reason it's not working for me. I never had an issue in years past. It's not my manager having recently taken control because that's just setting lineups/rotations. I've currently got 28 on my active, but 0 on my playoff roster and no right click option (or any other option) comes up for adding players to that roster. Anyone know what's happening?

Shouldn't I be able to set my playoff roster already? For some reason it's not working for me. I never had an issue in years past. It's not my manager having recently taken control because that's just setting lineups/rotations. I've currently got 28 on my active, but 0 on my playoff roster and no right click option (or any other option) comes up for adding players to that roster. Anyone know what's happening?

That's the way mine is too, probably because the play in game isn't generated yet? I'd imagine tomorrow you'll be able to.

brentech

While we are in the playoff time table, the game that is yet to be played is NOT a playoff game. So since the playoff brackets aren't available yet, neither is the ability to set the roster.
Will be available after tomorrow's sim.

brentech

Alright dudes, just got around to simming.

Sim: 2 days
Date: Oct 6, 2022
Notes: Cleveland defeated Detroit after scoring 5 runs in the 8th to take the lead.
Playoff Rosters are now able to be set. 3 day sims thru the end of the World Series unless it impedes with a game 3 / 5 / 7 series ender, as usual.

Good luck to everyone in the playoffs. The O's are optimistic about our chances. Good defense, speed, and solid pitching seems like a recipe for success.

Was surprised that Vargas won another batting title. His average wasn't super high so I just assumed someone had him beat. He had a pretty good year after a disappointing start. Love having him as my lead off hitter. Great start to his career.

It looks like my manager has tabbed young Jeremy Ovalle to start the wild card game, over Conley and RIP Fernandez.

He's earned the right with his play this season. Time to show me how clutch he is!

Alright dudes, just got around to simming.

Sim: 2 days
Date: Oct 6, 2022
Notes: Cleveland defeated Detroit after scoring 5 runs in the 8th to take the lead.
Playoff Rosters are now able to be set. 3 day sims thru the end of the World Series unless it impedes with a game 3 / 5 / 7 series ender, as usual.

This still stings yet is totally expected coming from either the virtual Tigers or the real life ones.

brentech

This still stings yet is totally expected coming from either the virtual Tigers or the real life ones.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad my team made it, but at the same time I know it sucks to go out that way. I don't have any expectations for my team. It took Lindor a record tying 3 triples that game to make it in. He is my offense.

Yeah good luck all playoff humans.

I love my team, but I hate that I lost control to my skipper. Hopefully he shows his worth this post-season.

There are quite a few teams with the potential of winning everything this year. Should be very exciting!

Edit: I also think it's cool that we're starting the GOBL playoffs on the same day as the real MLB playoffs this year. That's a fun little synchronicity (username quote).

Top Bottom