• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I think the main problem with the escape section(s) (could be more, I have only done one) is that it changes how the game handles difficulty. The entire game works in that way where you never feel it's your own fault for messing up. You're always in control, you always have options, and you can always save to minimize frustration.

The water sequence is the first time I felt the game was unfair. It started to mess with it's own rules and it almost felt like a different game - in a bad way. It soured me a bit on the game, because now I'm dreading having to go through at least two more of these terrible sequences. I think a good solution would be to allow for one save half-way through the sequence.

I don't really care if I come off as someone who is easlily frustrated or doesn't like a challenge, because the game was plently challening leading up to this. It's really frustrating since I was thinking this is one of the top 10 best games I have played in MY LIFE before that sequence.

I felt the same way. Also the game cheats as you cant actually outrun the water, it will "rubber band" to you making picking up the xp orbs a huge pain. Awful sequence, the second is just as bad, I havent seen the third. I hated it and like you, it soured the game for me (then after that you forget it and love it again...until the next one)

the frame rate dips (that actually caused me to die a few times) even on my "monster" rig, the weird respawn patterns on enemies you need to progress (someone mentioned this a few pages back and its completely true) and other little things make me think the game will end up as "just" another great game (and hey, thats pretty good lol) and not the instant classic I thought it would be during the first hour

ShogunX

Having really strange technical problems with this game so far. Any time I try and run the game at 1080 I get really bad screen tearing and randomly drop frames like crazy. Obviously I more than meet the required specs (GTX 680, FX-8350) yet there doesn't seem anything I can do right now to stop it.

Tried the whole windowed mode thing and still nope.

So I don't have an XB1, love metroidvania style games, and this looks beyond amazing.

I'm about to grab it for PC, will I be happy playing with keyboard, or do I finally need to learn how to hook up a controller (never done it before)?

So I don't have an XB1, love metroidvania style games, and this looks beyond amazing.

I'm about to grab it for PC, will I be happy playing with keyboard, or do I finally need to learn how to hook up a controller (never done it before)?

You have used an usb stick right? Basically that.

none of my friends bought it so I'm spamming their activity feed with screenshots and clips.

as an action platformer, it's really great, but i'm really starting to feel the lack of replayability. i've played cheaper titles for much longer than i'll probably play ori, which is disheartening because i don't want to stop playing. the combat makes every encounter interesting and i can lose myself in the vistas and score accompaniment. i just wish there were more reasons to continue: more secrets, more characters, more enemies, etc.

I think the big replay value is in mastery of the game. Sure, anyone can play it through. Most folks can probably get a 3hr speedrun. But can you get a 2hr speedrun? Can anyone?

I think Super Mario Bros for the NES has ZERO replay value if it weren't for speed running, glitching, and stuff like that. Yet here we are ~30 years later and people are still playing it. Hell, they're STREAMING it.

This aspect of it may not be there for everyone, but I feel like this game does live up to the 'instant classic' status I've ascribed to it personally. But even if it's not quite up to that level for others, it's still a fantastic game and well worth the $20 even if you only play through it one time for around 10 hours.

You have used an usb stick right? Basically that.

Yeah I'm dumb, I did a quick google before posting and saw all sorts of things about custom drivers and stuff to get them working (was thinking of using my PS3 controller). Going to look for a plug 'n' play PC one instead, didn't even think of it heh.

I think the big replay value is in mastery of the game. Sure, anyone can play it through. Most folks can probably get a 3hr speedrun. But can you get a 2hr speedrun? Can anyone?

I think Super Mario Bros for the NES has ZERO replay value if it weren't for speed running, glitching, and stuff like that. Yet here we are ~30 years later and people are still playing it. Hell, they're STREAMING it.

This aspect of it may not be there for everyone, but I feel like this game does live up to the 'instant classic' status I've ascribed to it personally. But even if it's not quite up to that level for others, it's still a fantastic game and well worth the $20 even if you only play through it one time for around 10 hours.

i agree that a huge reason to go back will be to complete it faster and more efficiently, and I don't think the combat or environments will ever get stale.

i just really dislike those "points of no return". even if the map were empty of collectibles, I'd be content throwing the game on and running around in a circle killing everything for a few hours a day. i guess i'll have to do that with the file i made before the last point.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm now 4 ish hours in (taking my time) and liking the game even more than before. The thing is, so far I like it far more as a platform game, both mechanichally and aesthetically than as a metroidvania. As a metroidvania I feel there's some qualities missing, such as sense of place, or maybe a sense of purpose to the places you visit? It's strange that in a game in which every last corner of the map has been individually and painstakingly rendered no parts of the world really stand out, it's all a bit of a (beautiful) blur. Having some meaning attached to parts of the world, including puzzles, secrets or interactions more abstract than the usual ones might have helped. As it is, it's a game one would struggle to make a mental image of the gameworld compared to, say, Symphony of the Night or Super Metroid. Still, eager to play a lot more of it as soon as I'm off work.
I've been watching streams and I agree with this assessment. All the elements seem kind of purposeless and samey in terms of having any meaning or context. I guess that's fair since it's just a forest and nature is "just there" but comparing it to a Metroid or Castlevania with their strong thematic context coming out of every pore is quite a stretch. In this, the rather linear story presentation seems removed from the platforming rather than married to it.

As for that platforming, it seems heavily inspired by Super Meat Boy and Guacamelee. It's like a slower version of the former, separated by your chosen spirit links rather than specific levels, and every bit as complicated as the latter as things progress. This seems a very "indie" aspect to it compared to Metroidvania, which never go too heavy on the platforming challenges.

The art and music and narrative isn't really up my alley (which is why I watched so much, seeing if there was something else that might appeal), and obtuse platforming challenges eventually become weary to me as I'm more of an exploration and puzzle oriented person, feeling that combat is not so great a distraction as death-at-every-touch levels. I prefer interactivity rather than just getting through being the issue, so I don't think I'll pick this one up with it not being Metroidvania enough.

That water sequence, I'm still shaking.

And looks like it was the lag after all, after enabling borderless window and turning off vsync I can finally connect wall runs and double jumps flawlessly. Thanks for the tip earlier.

Are we made aware of these points of no return or do they happen without warning?

I don't want to miss any collectables :(

. each dungeon is inaccessible after you complete them.

1st
ginso tree
2nd
forlorn ruins
3rd
mt horu

the 3rd is the last "point of no return", so if you want to go back through the game on that save file, make a copy of it. can't go back after you beat the 3rd dungeon. :/

So the main map is accesable throughout the entire game to return to places and collect previously unatainable stuff?

But there are three dungeon areas which also have collectables which cant be returned to once completed.

Is this correct?

i agree that a huge reason to go back will be to complete it faster and more efficiently, and I don't think the combat or environments will ever get stale.

i just really dislike those "points of no return". even if the map were empty of collectibles, I'd be content throwing the game on and running around in a circle killing everything for a few hours a day. i guess i'll have to do that with the file i made before the last point.

So the main map is accesable throughout the entire game to return to places and collect previously unatainable stuff?

But there are three dungeon areas which also have collectables which cant be returned to once completed.

Is this correct?

Yeah, inaccessible areas are a bummer. Fortunately at least the bulk of the game is outside those zones. The achievement hunter in me wonders if the collectibles inside those one-and-done areas count toward the 'all secrets' achievement since they're just orange ability orbs, which are different than the clear Ability Spheres which give a full point. I'm thinking only the spheres for Ability/Health/Energy count toward it, as well as the blue glowing rocks you destroy with the charge flame, but I haven't confirmed yet.

Do those areas ever actually contain anything meaningful like health/energy upgrades?

Nope just the glowing orange abilty orbs as far as I recall. The clear agility spheres that give a full upgrade point, the health upgrades, and the energy upgrades are all on the world map not within those areas.

Is this correct?

each dungeon is inaccessible after you complete them. you can still access the main areas after the first and second dungeon until you enter the third one. once you complete that, you cannot play on that save file again.

i don't recall if there were any major collectibles in the dungeons other than spirit light, but once it's locked, it's locked for that save.

There are some speed run already, current record 01:37:32 with zero death :/

ron-swanson-computer-throw-out-parks-and-rec.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what the fuck you cant go back to
forlon ruins
? theres a huge ass rock in the way and the zone is 86% complete, I was doing a completion pass before finishing the game...

thats a HUGE no-no in a metroidvania imo :/

edit: also any idea how to get this ability orb? I have all the powers now and no idea how to get this

oyxqte.png

Feindflug

forlon ruins
? theres a huge ass rock in the way and the zone is 86% complete, I was doing a completion pass before finishing the game...

I still don't understand why they made whole areas unaccessible in a metroidvania game.

That being said in the gameplay department the game is excellent, controls feel really tight and some abilities like
bash
are so good. Also I loved the water sequence, so tense and the platforming was great in this section, overall I'd say that I love this game except the whole locked out/unaccessible areas thing which sucks. :(

I still don't understand why they made whole areas unaccessible in a metroidvania game.

That being said in the gameplay department the game is excellent, controls feel really tight and some abilities like
bash
are so good. Also I loved the water sequence, so tense and the platforming was great in this section, overall I'd say that I love this game except the whole locked out/unaccessible areas thing which sucks. :(

You spoiler tag bash but not the
water sequence and its tension/platforming
? Kids these days ;p

I do notice stuttering here and there.

Yeah that's the framerate drops I was referring to. But seriously for me at least they're very infrequent on XB1. I know PC users' experience has been all over the map with the windowed mode and V-sync issues and whatnot. That's the nature of the beast with PC gaming though. Not a dig, just the truth. I used to game on PC.

forlon ruins

edit: also any idea how to get this ability orb? I have all the powers now and no idea how to get this

oyxqte.png

go from underneath, you'll need Bash...aim for the log...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
forlon ruins

oyxqte.png

If you want it spelled out I think I did this earlier.
The floor below is an invisible pathway, you can bash off a projectile below where you are to get the needed height.

watership

Yeah I'm dumb, I did a quick google before posting and saw all sorts of things about custom drivers and stuff to get them working (was thinking of using my PS3 controller). Going to look for a plug 'n' play PC one instead, didn't even think of it heh.

Both 360 and X1 controllers work flawlessly, just plug in and go.

It is straight forward if you use an xbox controller, just pnp. But if you want to use the ps3 controller you do have to do something else.

Btw, I didn't mean to be snide or condescending in my previous post if I made you feel so. It's just my writing style that often gives off that tone. :p

Rhaknar

I keep hearing about this game everywhere.

Is this one of the games that defines this generation GAF?

Not at all...what does that even mean anyway? It's a good, sometimes very good metroidvania with amazing graphics and tight controls

lt519

How does Ori compare to Guacamelee! in terms of difficulty?

Pretty equal, both have some tight platforming sections, maybe giving the nod to Ori but Guacamelee has tougher combat. You'll have no problem with Ori especially with the forgiving save system. If the tree section have you trouble in Guacamelee you'll have some difficulties in Ori too.

I keep hearing about this game everywhere.

Is this one of the games that defines this generation GAF?

it's a good game that raises the bar for visual and aural presentation (at least within the genre), but the missteps prevent it from being an instant classic.

it's a game i wont soon forget, but i can't help but want more. if there's a sequel, i'd love a greater emphasis on exploration and possibly a bigger cast of [playable] characters. optional coop would make it twice as fun too, although it probably wouldn't work in the main story due to the time-sensitive platforming. the tone of the game befits a more personal journey, but it could open up the opportunity for more coordination intensive puzzles.

lt519

Edit: I also wonder how the game is performing. I believe it's been in the Top 2 sellers on Steam behind Cities since it has launch and only recently has lost a few spots. Peak players today was 3k. Hard to gauge on the XBO side of things... game has 2,260 ratings which is a fair amount. Wonder when/if we'll hear about how it's doing and what the future of the franchise might look like. Does Moon have some sort of blog or anything? My only source has been thomas really, haha.

Well Cities sold 250k in just 24 hours and that is on PC only. So I'm guessing with Xone sales Ori will probably have topped that in 24 hours. Word of mouth of the game is catching quickly too.

The Flash

Banned
Pretty equal, both have some tight platforming sections, maybe giving the nod to Ori but Guacamelee has tougher combat. You'll have no problem with Ori especially with the forgiving save system. If the tree section have you trouble in Guacamelee you'll have some difficulties in Ori too.

Cool. I'll be picking it up after all. Cheers.

BluWacky

I actually disagree, I had more fun with this game than all the shovel crap ,remake and broken games this gen. I had more fun with it than the order.

That's a pretty low bar, though, isn't it? The Order hasn't exactly had a rapturous reception.

It's a fun game. I think it's deserving of Eurogamer's "Recommended" rather than "Essential" tag - it's very enjoyable but I don't think it's shattered any paradigms or proven the pinnacle of its genre or anything like that.

Top Bottom