• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

Fuchsdh

Anyone install El Capitan on the newer Mac Minis? Just wondering how it is running. If there are any major issues? Thinking about installing it for my in laws.

Thus far I haven't seen an issue with my 2011 w/ discrete graphics/SSD so presumably newer ones will be fine (although a spinning hard drive might degrade the experience.)

EDIT: And there I go double-posting like a newbie.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
don't think you can do the same app on both sides of the split.
In OS X? You should be able to do it no matter what. As long as you have two windows that can be resized in all directions, OS X automatically lets you put it in fullscreen. Maybe Pages does something wrong. Either way, it doesn't matter if it's two apps or the same app as long as it's two separate windows. So basically the only apps you can't put next to itself is ones that only have one window like Notes.

On iOS however, you can't do two of the same app anyway since it doesn't use a windowing paradigm.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Thus far I haven't seen an issue with my 2011 w/ discrete graphics/SSD so presumably newer ones will be fine (although a spinning hard drive might degrade the experience.)

EDIT: And there I go double-posting like a newbie.

Thanks. Wait, did I read that Office 2011 doesn't work? Is that right? Or is the only issue with Outlook?

Fowler

I seem to have the worst luck with this.

My El Cap public beta didn't install properly and somehow killed my Retina iMac's hard drive. Apple eventually replaced it, thankfully.

I went back to Yosemite and waited for the final release of El Cap before trying again.

Aaaaand... it stalled while installing, again.

Eventually I managed to get it to safe boot... and then then it seemed to finish the install... rebooted it again... and now it SEEMS to be working. But um, I'm a little worried that all is not right under the hood.

Anyone have any ideas here for what I should do?

spuckthew

I have this thing running on a 2009 white plastic MacBook and it's fine. With an SSD this thing performs surprisingly brilliantly.

Is there anyway to force the install once the upgrade has been downloaded? I downloaded it through the app store last night, but chose not to install it until I'd run a backup. Upon opening the app store this evening, El Capitan is listed as 'Downloaded' in my updates list, but the button is greyed out with no option to install. Any ideas?

Is there anyway to force the install once the upgrade has been downloaded? I downloaded it through the app store last night, but chose not to install it until I'd run a backup. Upon opening the app store this evening, El Capitan is listed as 'Downloaded' in my updates list, but the button is greyed out with no option to install. Any ideas?

is it in your applications folder?

NekoFever

Is there an installer app in your Applications folder? Should be called "Install OS X El Capitan" or something similar.

freshair

Launchpad

Chao

Anyone install El Capitan on the newer Mac Minis? Just wondering how it is running. If there are any major issues? Thinking about installing it for my in laws.

Mine is running better than it was with Yosemite. And I didn't do a clean install, just an update, but it feels way snappier than yesterday.
I didn't encounter any bugs but I haven't spent much time with it today.

bionic77

Dashboard defaults to off. You can turn it on under Settings -> Mission Control.
The only thing I used on dashboard were the dictionary and system stats.

What are the best alternatives to get the same info/results on the new OS?

I would prefer not to turn dashboard back on.

Fliesen

Safari's Preference pane is a bit odd with all the icons bunched up to the left and still plenty space on the right.

VKeOFmO.png

well, that's how all preference panes in OS X look and have always looked, have they not?

melos

Really Enjoying Split screen so far. Having full screen Youtube Videos then Splitscreened with the mobile version of Neogaf in Safari on the left is awesome. Long overdue in OS X

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They are not great at putting out timely updates. They've been talking about the October updates for their video products for awhile now, but apparently forgot to prepare for the new Mac operating system that is on an annual release schedule.
There is still no proper OSX full screen support in any of the Adobe applications in latest CC2015, after what, three years of that feature existing? The problem is, they never seem to use native OS API for their user interfaces, but instead use their own convoluted garbage that is slow as hell and keeps getting slower with every new release for no obvious reason as the actual UI looks mostly the same as it did before.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
There is still no proper OSX full screen support in any of the Adobe applications in latest CC2015, after what, two years of that feature existing? The problem is, they never seem to use native OS API for their user interfaces, but instead use their own convoluted garbage that is slow as hell and keeps getting slower with every new release for no obvious reason as the actual UI looks mostly the same as it did before.
Yeah, El Capitan now allows apps that didn't have fullscreen enabled to work anyway. But even it can't do anything for apps that decide to build their own UI. Adobe would have to implement it themselves.

antispin

One quick question before I install: the install size is listed as ~6GB. Will the OS take 6 additional GB or will it adjust against Yosemite?

HUELEN10

You are describing difference between having virtual desktops and not having them. Functionally Windows split screen and "Split View" are not going to be used differently. Especially now that Windows also has virtual desktop.

It's really messed up that there's no easy way to look at 2 things at once while using OS X.

Except it is used differently and it is easy to look at 2 things at once.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
So unless you love the Apple apps this was a pretty mediocre update, speed update was nice I guess.

Ninja Dom

well, that's how all preference panes in OS X look and have always looked, have they not?

You are right.

I guess the amount of icons in the Safari preference pain makes the left justification more noticeable.

One quick question before I install: the install size is listed as ~6GB. Will the OS take 6 additional GB or will it adjust against Yosemite?

The install will take an additional 6GB and then delete itself after installation. It may free up even more space as I was left with more hard drive space after installation than what I had before I started.

Really Enjoying Split screen so far. Having full screen Youtube Videos then Splitscreened with the mobile version of Neogaf in Safari on the left is awesome. Long overdue in OS X

How do you do that? Is YouTube running in a different browser to Safari?

Except it is used differently and it is easy to look at 2 things at once.

How? Please teach me :)

On Windows it takes less than a second.

I'll give you an example. I want to watch Youtube video on one side and browse Gaf of the other. I really have no easy way to do it on Mac, but I might be missing something.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Anyone else's Capitan download going at a fucking crawl?

My connection is fine, just did a speed test, but a 6GB download should not be taking me 20 hours. I assume this is on Apple's end? Servers getting hammered?

Makai

How? Please teach me :)

On Windows it takes less than a second.

I'll give you an example. I want to watch Youtube video on one side and browse Gaf of the other. I really have no easy way to do it on Mac, but I might be missing something.
Same. Window snapping is one of the killer features of Windows that I miss when I use my Mac.

leng jai

Anyone else's Capitan download going at a fucking crawl?

My connection is fine, just did a speed test, but a 6GB download should not be taking me 20 hours. I assume this is on Apple's end? Servers getting hammered?

Mine took about 10 hours to download so...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I use both window snapping and split view extensively, they serve similar purposes but work a bit differently. Split view treats the windows as two separate "screens" and formats the content accordingly, which can be very useful depending on what you're doing, while window snapping is faster and more malleable with adjusting windows sizes.

Quick example:

Window snapping (with BetterTouchTool):

3CEKWvK.png

Split view:

jOat0lb.png

Charcoal

How do you split-view apps? Based off what I've read here, it's not as simple as dragging the page to the side of the screen?

I use both window snapping and split view extensively, they serve similar purposes but work a bit differently. Split view treats the windows as two separate "screens" and formats the content accordingly, which can be very useful depending on what you're doing, while window snapping is faster and more malleable with adjusting windows sizes.

Quick example:

I know about the tool. Got free version, but unsure if that's safe... It's just crazy that Apple is doing "Split View" without addressing the simplest thing...

Quick

Banned
I'm stuck on "Waiting..." on the App Store. I paused the update yesterday and started it up again today. It decided to start updating iLife and iWork apps, including iPhoto (which is discontinued), and now it's just stuck to that waiting dialogue.

Charcoal

I'm stuck on "Waiting..." on the App Store. I paused the update yesterday and started it up again today. It decided to start updating iLife and iWork apps, including iPhoto (which is discontinued), and now it's just stuck to that waiting dialogue.
Try force quitting the app store, restarting, and then upgrading from the front page and not the updates tab. I had the same issue and that fixed it for me.

Quick

Banned
Try force quitting the app store, restarting, and then upgrading from the front page and not the updates tab. I had the same issue and that fixed it for me.

I thought it started working, but I'm still stuck. But thank you for the advice.

melos

You are right.

I guess the amount of icons in the Safari preference pain makes the left justification more noticeable.

The install will take an additional 6GB and then delete itself after installation. It may free up even more space as I was left with more hard drive space after installation than what I had before I started.

How do you do that? Is YouTube running in a different browser to Safari?

You'll want to have two separate Windows Open in Safari. One of them I have Youtube in and the other has the mobile Neogaf site (as I find it scales much better when in split screen). Take the Youtube video Fullscreen which sets it as a separate desktop as seen in Mission Control:
oFnXA94.jpg

Then I drag the Safari window with GAF to the top of the screen which opens mission control and then drag it to over the fullscreen youtube video which results in something like this:
ETYiqbB.jpg

Tarkus

You'll want to have two separate Windows Open in Safari. One of them I have Youtube in and the other has the mobile Neogaf site (as I find it scales much better when in split screen). Take the Youtube video Fullscreen which sets it as a separate desktop as seen in Mission Control:
oFnXA94

Then I drag the Safari window with GAF to the top of the screen which opens mission control and then drag it to over the fullscreen youtube video which results in something like this:
ETYiqbB
I approve of that game you're playing! Top fight

Do you just like mobile gaf or is it because it's easier to read in split-view?

Anyone know why Mozilla won't run Silverlight (Microsoft) ?

I'm trying to watch TWC sports live stream but it won't even load... : (

I feel like Mozilla and the new OS have some kind of strange issue.

Trying to install it on my MacBook Air after my desktop installation was flawless and HOLY SHIT THE APP STORE IS SO GODDAM SLOW. Projected download time was 2 DAYS.

Top Bottom