• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

melos

I approve of that game you're playing! Top fight

Do you just like mobile gaf or is it because it's easier to read in split-view?
Mobile version scales with the reduced width of the screen. The desktop version doesn't do so well with the severely reduced width in split screen. Safari's developer menu and keyboard shortcuts can help to toggle between simulating and iPad browser and OSX safari quickly too

NJDEN

In reference to an earlier post I made in this thread.

I just bought a 2015 Mac-book Pro and it's arriving in the mail tomorrow. I'm really excited to try out El Captain (first Mac ever). Does anyone have any pointers on what I should do after getting it? Necessary software or tweaks or is it pretty much good to go out of the box?

I've traditionally been exclusively a Windows man and after a clean install I have a ritual of installing applications and drivers.

Fuzyfrog

Been running all the betas on my 09 17" Mbpro.

Runs so much better than Yosemite, Just updated to 10.11.1 Beta (15B22c)

Actually i should clairfy. No clean installs i upgraded from Yosemite, Also the install process can stall for like 30min at a time on a couple of the different beta versions but every time its carried on and installed fine.. Always a bit worrying when it stalls

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
How do you split-view apps? Based off what I've read here, it's not as simple as dragging the page to the side of the screen?
A) Press and hold the mouse on the green maximize button for a split second and it will go into setup mode. Drag it to a side and click a second window to put next to it.

B) From Mission Control, drag two fullscreen windows together. i.e. drag one on top of another. (This is the only way to watch a HTML5 video in split view.) Or drag from the pool of windows in the view below onto an already fullscreened window.

The only thing it doesn't have is a way to drag two windows back apart without taking them both out of fullscreen. Hopefully they address this in an update or 10.12 next year.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I just upgraded and now gmail won't sync with the mail app. It just keeps saying "connecting" what the hell do I do? I tried deleting the account and reinputting the account info but all I did was delete al, the messages on my computer. :(

I just upgraded and now gmail won't sync with the mail app. It just keeps saying "connecting" what the hell do I do? I tried deleting the account and reinputting the account info but all I did was delete al, the messages on my computer. :(

Gmail's been giving my Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, and Mail.app) shit all day. I FINALLY got it to feed back into my iPhone (don't ask me how, I have no idea) so hopefully I can fix it on my iPad and MacBook too

Cronen

My MacBook is now incredibly slow, performance-wise after the update. Only thing I can think of right now is to increase its RAM.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Apparently the fix is to uncheck "automatically detect and maintain account settings" restart Mail and check it again. But it is grayed out for me and won't let me uncheck it >(

My MacBook is now incredibly slow, performance-wise after the update. Only thing I can think of right now is to increase its RAM.

I had 2 GB in my MBP2009 until two weeks ago, and it was painfully slow as well after updating to anything after Snow Leopard..

Put 8 GB in, and it's as fast as on the first day I got it again...

on El Capitan:

installed it yesterday, and I have to admit I have to get used to the new art style (updated from Mavericks, skipped Yosemite)..

"The Snap" and "green button does shitty fullscreen implementation now" is really really bad, imo.
It's a shame, that Mac OS is worse in the UX department than Windows these days...

I will never understand why they are moving away from something, that so many Mac users liked in comparison to Windows.

On the plus side, everything feels really really fast and snappy.

Apparently the fix is to uncheck "automatically detect and maintain account settings" restart Mail and check it again. But it is grayed out for me and won't let me uncheck it >(

I was able to get mine working without that. Honestly, I do think it's something on Google's end. Just waiting it out worked for me

Email now feeds correctly into all my devices

Fliesen

Gmail's been giving my Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, and Mail.app) shit all day. I FINALLY got it to feed back into my iPhone (don't ask me how, I have no idea) so hopefully I can fix it on my iPad and MacBook too

same here. I keep getting error messages on my iPhone and iPad.

Cronen

Sure it's not just in the optimisation phase?

Could you elaborate on that please? Sorry, am new to Macs.

I had 2 GB in my MBP2009 until two weeks ago, and it was painfully slow as well after updating to anything after Snow Leopard..

Put 8 GB in, and it's as fast as on the first day I got it again...

I've been on 4GB RAM for a while now, and with Yosemite it was fine. The move to El Capitan has caused the slow down. I'm only using one stick of RAM right now, as my other 4GB stick became faulty a few months ago. I'm hoping that by getting a new stick and having it at 8GB will improve things.

Ninja Dom

Could you elaborate on that please? Sorry, am new to Macs.

After the El Capitan update is done your Mac goes through an optimisation process. A notification in the top right says so and that your Mac's performance may be affected during this.

How long the process takes is dependent on how fast your Mac is and how much storage you've used. For me the process took a couple of hours. Others could be a day.

It is crazy how much faster my iMac from 2011 is. I always had 8GB of RAM inside of it but the opening of apps and browsers has definitely been accelerated.

DedValve

Banned
Now this is an upgrade. My late 2013 mac was always blazing fast but holy shit I smile everytime I open google and its just fucking there before I even have a chance to move the mouse back into place.

Wonderful!

I don't think my 2011 MBP is any faster at all. It was already really fast with this SSD.

I do think it's smoother, however. Less chop when panning between desktops. So far, anyway.

Couple questions that I apologise if they've been answered already.

1. How the fuck do you stop the side bar in Safari sliding in whenever you hover the mouse to the left side of the screen? So fucking annoying. Especially as there's a button for it right above it!

2. Live photos aren't playing in Photos. How do I trigger this? Do I need to flip a switch somewhere?

3. For the love of christ how do I stop the iCloud column appear in iTunes every damn time I open it. I had this fixed a while back but then iTunes updated and it started doing it again.

Fliesen

3-finger tapping a link to get a preview (like 3D touch peek on the iPhone 6S) is new to El Capitan, right?

that's pretty neat, tbh.

LordOfChaos

It is crazy how much faster my iMac from 2011 is. I always had 8GB of RAM inside of it but the opening of apps and browsers has definitely been accelerated.

HDD or SSD? I'm still curious if their app launch time advertising is exclusive to one of the two.

Cronen

After the El Capitan update is done your Mac goes through an optimisation process. A notification in the top right says so and that your Mac's performance may be affected during this.

How long the process takes is dependent on how fast your Mac is and how much storage you've used. For me the process took a couple of hours. Others could be a day.

Oh wow, ok! I did the update over night so I would have missed any notification. I'll boot the Macbook up and let it do its thing for a bit! Thanks!

entremet

I'm a bit disappointed in the Safari performance.

I'm getting beach balls, when I never did on Yosemite. I also have an SSD.

Apps are fine, though.

Ninja Dom

Couple questions that I apologise if they've been answered already.

2. Live photos aren't playing in Photos. How do I trigger this? Do I need to flip a switch somewhere?

On the Live Photo in Photos app on your Mac you'll see a little "Live" tag in the bottom left corner of the picture. Hover your mouse over it for the Live Photo to play. Do the thumbnails play when you click on them?

Having the same problem. Started downloading new Xcode last night... and its still going. Estimating 7 1/2 hours more for the last half gigabyte.

Yep, left my install overnight. 7 - 8 hours, and woke up this morning to find that it went from 570 MB to 880 MB. Downloaded about 300 MB in 8 hours. Mac App Store has always been shit, but this is truly ridiculous. It's not my internet either because everything else was running fine on multiple devices (I have 100 Mb down)

Can anyone else confirm "slow" wifi performance after upgrading? Mine seems to be 1/2 or so as fast as it was on Yosemite. Not super surprised as I had this issue when I upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite. From what I recall, a good number of folks had the issue as well, last time.

On the Live Photo in Photos app on your Mac you'll see a little "Live" tag in the bottom left corner of the picture. Hover your mouse over it for the Live Photo to play. Do the thumbnails play when you click on them?

Nope, can't see any Live tags and thumbnails don't move at all :/
They're being treated like regular photos :/

Ninja Dom

Nope, can't see any Live tags and thumbnails don't move at all :/
They're being treated like regular photos :/

Hmm now that is odd. And just to be sure, these Live Photos were taken on an iPhone 6S or 6S Plus and animate on the iPhone? Are you using Photos on Mac to import the Live Photo from the iPhone? What happens if you AirDrop the Live Photo to your Mac?

Also on Yosemite Live Photos had a photo and a separate movie listed side by side in Photos app. Do you still have that? Only now in El Capitan does it put the photo & movie together to create a Live Photo.

EDIT1: Now even video thumbnails play when I hover my mouse over them in Photos on OS X. Do they play for you?

On another note, how do you put a movie onto a DVD so that the DVD plays in a regular DVD player? Can it be done in OS X or is extra software required? What format does the film need to be?

antispin

Gents, ladies, I have another stupid question: How do I ensure that the update will download overnight on my Air? I guess closing the lid will stop it from downloading? If I keep the lid open, will the other power saving measures stop the download? It will be plugged in, of course. Thanks in advance for the answer.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm using a Late 2009 iMac 27". What crashes are you having?

It will just randomly freeze a couple times a week. I can still move my mouse but can't click anything. I have to power it off and restart. I don't do anything too crazy with it - generally just Safari, iTunes and Photoshop.

MoodyFog

Gents, ladies, I have another stupid question: How do I ensure that the update will download overnight on my Air? I guess closing the lid will stop it from downloading? If I keep the lid open, will the other power saving measures stop the download? It will be plugged in, of course. Thanks in advance for the answer.

I let it update overnight too, so I can confirm it works: just don't close the lid and let it do its thing

Ninja Dom

It will just randomly freeze a couple times a week. I can still move my mouse but can't click anything. I have to power it off and restart. I don't do anything too crazy with it - generally just Safari, iTunes and Photoshop.

Could that be a RAM issues? Have you added any 3rd party RAM at all? I reckon t's got to be hardware related rather than a bug in the OS.

I'm encountering a strange bug/behavior after updating in Safari: When I open a new tab and use the address bar to do a google search, the cursor will stop responding to the webpage. What I mean by that is, that while hovering over a link or over a text field the cursor will not change to a pointer etc. Furthermore links don't get highlighted when hovering over them. When clicking on stuff everything still works as expected, I just don't get the visual feedback. Pretty annoying.

A bit more info: The problem is restricted to tabs I started with an address bar google search, other open tabs aren't affected. Even after going to another web page the problem persists. If I do an address bar search in a tab that already has a web page loaded the problem does not occur.

Anyone got an idea how to fix this?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
There's also the possibility that it's a dying HDD. So make sure you have a backup.

Servbot24

Banned
Could that be a RAM issues? Have you added any 3rd party RAM at all? I reckon t's got to be hardware related rather than a bug in the OS.

Yeah, but I installed that way back when I first got it and it's only been an issue the last 6 months or so.

Did you clean install? I'd do that if you can't figure out the crashes.

Not yet, probably will try that soon though.

There's also the possibility that it's a dying HDD. So make sure you have a backup.

I've got an SSD that was installed last year. Shouldn't be failing yet I wouldn't think.

Installed El Capitan two nights ago. It's a huuuuuge improvement over Yosemite, and a pretty great OS overall--except that I still absolutely despise the Yosemite visual redesign with every inch of my body. It's hopeless, I know. I really wish someone would make a tweak that could restore the Acqua interface, but since it's been a year and it hasn't happened yet....

tanooki27

In reference to an earlier post I made in this thread.

I just bought a 2015 Mac-book Pro and it's arriving in the mail tomorrow. I'm really excited to try out El Captain (first Mac ever). Does anyone have any pointers on what I should do after getting it? Necessary software or tweaks or is it pretty much good to go out of the box?

I've traditionally been exclusively a Windows man and after a clean install I have a ritual of installing applications and drivers.

you are good to go my friend. take a tour of the capitan features to get aquatinted.

Fuchsdh

Installed El Capitan two nights ago. It's a huuuuuge improvement over Yosemite, and a pretty great OS overall--except that I still absolutely despise the Yosemite visual redesign with every inch of my body. It's hopeless, I know. I really wish someone would make a tweak that could restore the Acqua interface, but since it's been a year and it hasn't happened yet....

I've been looking into remixing my own version of the GUI. AFAIK the biggest obstacle is that OS X inherited a lot of iOS's bundling of graphic assets, so while I'd say you could figure out a way to just palette-swap your OS with no real issues, I just checked the CoreServices System Appearance bundle and everything is wrapped up in Apple-specific binary .car files. Not sure if there's a good way to extract or recompile those.

There are a few software options for theming, but I looked up Flavors and it looks like with the new security systems in 10.11, it's the end of the line for that app: http://www.flavours.interacto.net

LordOfChaos

"Make Yosemite look like Mavericks" turns up a lot of hits, they'd probably still work in El Cap.

I do kind of miss the more 3D interface of olde sometimes, like Snow Leopard era.

Snow_Leopard_Desktop.png

The buttons...Like Steve Jobs said when he first introduced Aqua, they make you just want to lick them. Now they're just flat nothing. Oh, and you could actually tell what the active tab in Safari was.

Top Bottom