• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

Anyone using Chrome? I'm having an issue where if I turn on Chrome, the Chrome window goes black, processor jumps up to 100% and I lose all of the tab information when I force quit. Dunno how to fix.

the3ye

How do you get Safari i iTunes in split view?
I'm getting this:
Y8cm8vI.jpg

soco

How bad is it? I use Spotlight frequently so if it's rubbish now I might wait on this.

I don't know about this version, haven't upgraded yet, but the stuff from 10.10 tried to overhaul spotlight a bit to include web suggestions and what not. I remember when I'd first used spotlight, i was amazed at how efficient it was at finding exactly what i wanted when compared to the windows search suggestions.

Even after turning off all the useless stuff like big search results, calculator, and conversions, it's still not finding things I use frequently and instead prioritizing things I've never used. I basically have to type full names a lot and then look through the list, where I used to just be able to type a few letters and press enter.

Maybe that got fixed, but it seems like they just added natural language searches instead.

Estocolmo

How do you prevent the sidebar in Safari to appear when you put the mouse breaker on the left side of the screen?

kess

Oof, I hope this gets better, because there's literally a half second lag on everything I'm doing, including typing this sentence. it's probably indexing, but I wish I had gone for that SSD when I got this thing.

Fliesen

How do you get Safari i iTunes in split view?
I'm getting this:

same here.

edit: Seems to be that the iTunes Window is just too big, on a 13" screen that is.
Once i set my retina mac to "more space" (i.e. go non-native and have smaller UI elements), i could do iTunes+Safari split view

Huelen's screenshot is 1920*1080, the resolution of my MacBook is 2560*1600, but it's a 1280*800 interface.

Tabris

I'm debating between Magnet and El Capitan Split View.

The issue I have with the split view is I can't drag and drop a safari tab into a split view on the same space like I can do with Magnet without then dragging and dropping the tab from the new space into the old space to split it.

Huh, so now whenever I watch a video full screen the screen flickers, the video stutters and jumps about and it's only once the mouse cursor has disappeared. Only started happening with El Capitan. :/

Edit: should mention, it only happens in Safari. Happens on YouTube videos, Vines, tumblr videos :/

soco

Only difference I've noticed so far is a shorter animation for moving between fullscreen. I still can't see how to reorder search results for spotlight :(

Mission control when using fullscreen has some unpolished animations, but I'm not sure if that's new. it's a little blinky when the menubar is visible.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'm debating between Magnet and El Capitan Split View.

The issue I have with the split view is I can't drag and drop a safari tab into a split view on the same space like I can do with Magnet without then dragging and dropping the tab from the new space into the old space to split it.

I haven't used Magnet but it would be hard for it to be worse than Split View.

Fliesen

I haven't used Magnet but it would be hard for it to be worse than Split View.

split view is, indeed, a bit dumb in it's first iteration.

The fact that i cannot do a split: Pages + Preview on my 13" Macbook is kindasorta weird.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I don't want my programs fullscreen or to be limited to just two, I'm sure it's fine for the average user but it's pretty awful compared to the Windows 10 version.

parasight

I'm getting "OS X cannot be installed on Macintosh HD" during the Install portion. Not sure what's happening. At first there wasn't enough space so I cleared some, and now I'm getting this, with no explanation why.

I'm getting "OS X cannot be installed on Macintosh HD" during the Install portion. Not sure what's happening. At first there wasn't enough space so I cleared some, and now I'm getting this, with no explanation why.

I've gotten this error on previous installs related to the installer being unable to carve out enough space for a recovery partition. I don't remember how I fixed it nor how to confirm that this is your problem as well.

How are download speeds for people trying to get it at the moment? I'm in Brisbane, Australia on a 30Mbit Cable connection and it is abymally slow, estimated time to finish 2 days and four hours. It's taken about an hour to get 100MB. :(

It is installing on my iMac 2011 as we speak. I sure hope this goes right.

How are download speeds for people trying to get it at the moment? I'm in Brisbane, Australia on a 30Mbit Cable connection and it is abymally slow, estimated time to finish 2 days and four hours. It's taken about an hour to get 100MB. :(

Took me 15 minutes here in The Netherlands on a 120mb/s line.

Hmm okay. I guess whichever servers they're hosting for Australia are just getting hammered tonight then. They should totally should be using something like BitTorrent to distribute stuff.

EmiPrime

Can anyone please help me?

Okay, so I open textedit or preview or something like that, and I am greeted with a Window to open a file.

I just want that app open, read to drag stuff to its dock icon or go through its menus, I don't need an annoying window popping up each time I start the app.

What do?

That doesn't happen for me. Check settings somewhere.

Finally up and running after my adventurous install session. My late 2012 Macbook got stuck during reboot and install and failed. After much panicking I called Apple support and had to reinstall OS X Lion via OS X-Utilities/Internet Recovery, then reinstall El Capitan. Took forever but it was well worth it. My Macbook hasn't been this fast in a long time.

I don't want my programs fullscreen or to be limited to just two, I'm sure it's fine for the average user but it's pretty awful compared to the Windows 10 version.

Yeeeeaaahhh. I was super stoked when I heard there was going to be a native option, but now I'm going to stick to my third party option because it actually makes sense.

My El Capitan download in the App Store is stuck in paused state and won't resume.
I started downloading yesterday (less than 2% cause the servers were congested), then powered off my macbook. Now the progress bar is somehow freezed.
Any ideas?

snacknuts

we all knew her
I use my MBP (newest model, 16GB RAM) at work with two external monitors. In that configuration, any time I use Mission Control the frame rate drops into garbage territory. That seems to be fixed with El Capitan.

PSYGN

I use my MBP (newest model, 16GB RAM) at work with two external monitors. In that configuration, any time I use Mission Control the frame rate drops into garbage territory. That seems to be fixed with El Capitan.

Same with me, but I have 8GB. Mine is a 2014 MBP. This release has made it buttery smooth again for me, no more janky animations.

DrKelpo

Banned
i downloaded the beta some time ago and updated a few week ago to version "10.11 beta"

is there some file i need to download now to get it to the final version? appstore shows no update.

Afrodium

Banned
My 2009 MacBook Pro is WAAAAAYYY more usable now than when it was running Yosemite. I think I'll play it safe and keep it on El Capitan until it dies.

I fresh-installed El Capitan on my Macbook Pro (Early 2011 with an SSD) and I'm seeing no major flaws.

iTunes still sucks, but everything else seems just about hunky dory. I wouldn't say performance is better, but there's less hitching maybe.

The only thing that really bothers me is I have to hover my mouse over mission control to see the thumbnails. I don't know why they changed this and didn't provide an option to keep the old behavior.

Nothing I select in mission control settings shows the thumbnails by default without the need to mouseover it.

Top Bottom