• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Ghostery apparently sells their data to ad companies though. :(

I installed Disconnect on my Mac, so it's system wide. However, I'll try Wipr.

I accidentally opened an attached .jpg file in an email from someone on Craigslist, but did not download it.

I ran Malwarebytes, and will run another scan.

Can the .jpg file format carry viruses? As far as I know they cannot, and when I hovered over the attachment it ended in .jpg, not .jpg.exe or anything like that. My email also has a virus scanner inside of it.

I accidentally opened an attached .jpg file in an email from someone on Craigslist, but did not download it.

I ran Malwarebytes, and will run another scan.

Can the .jpg file format carry viruses? As far as I know they cannot, and when I hovered over the attachment it ended in .jpg, not .jpg.exe or anything like that. My email also has a virus scanner inside of it.

There were a couple zero-day exports of Windows' jpg parser back in the day, but no current vulnerabilities.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
On OS X no. It can't. Even if it was an app, or rather a .dmg since .app is a folder not a binary, it couldn't unless you actually mounted the .dmg file and purposely launched the contained .app and willingly input your password. A .jpg, even if it's infected with a virus, won't hurt you on OS X. BUT it can hurt people on Windows if you forward it to them. And that's IF it's actually infected.

If you were on Windows you'd also have to watch out for .exe files disguised as .jpg. Basically they name an executable "Cute puppies.jpg.exe" and Windows will hide the .exe part by default (Is it still default?) and the unsuspecting user will open it thinking it's an image of a cute puppy or possibly more than one cute puppy. (Yes I see that you are aware of this trick. I'm just posting this info for future thread archaeologists.)

On OS X they couldn't do it because an .app file is not a single file. It's a folder full of files. One or more of which is a UNIX binary. That binary is what is actually the app itself, the rest of the files are resources like GUI images and other stuff. So basically you can't just attach a .app because it's a folder, instead you either zip it up or put it in a disk image. I don't think OS X even lets you just launch the binary via double-clicking as another added layer of security. Instead you either launch it by double-clicking the .app or using a terminal command. So if someone even sent you a UNIX binary even with a clever extension, you couldn't launch it without the terminal and putting effort into it.

And technically you did download the .jpg. You can't open it without downloading it. But I know what you mean. Still, it's on your computer either way.

On OS X no. It can't. Even if it was an app, or rather a .dmg since .app is a folder not a binary, it couldn't unless you actually mounted the .dmg file and purposely launched the contained .app and willingly input your password. A .jpg, even if it's infected with a virus, won't hurt you on OS X. BUT it can hurt people on Windows if you forward it to them. And that's IF it's actually infected.

If you were on Windows you'd also have to watch out for .exe files disguised as .jpg. Basically they name an executable "Cute puppies.jpg.exe" and Windows will hide the .exe part by default (Is it still default?) and the unsuspecting user will open it thinking it's an image of a cute puppy or possibly more than one cute puppy. (Yes I see that you are aware of this trick. I'm just posting this info for future thread archaeologists.)

On OS X they couldn't do it because an .app file is not a single file. It's a folder full of files. One or more of which is a UNIX binary. That binary is what is actually the app itself, the rest of the files are resources like GUI images and other stuff. So basically you can't just attach a .app because it's a folder, instead you either zip it up or put it in a disk image. I don't think OS X even lets you just launch the binary via double-clicking as another added layer of security. Instead you either launch it by double-clicking the .app or using a terminal command. So if someone even sent you a UNIX binary even with a clever extension, you couldn't launch it without the terminal and putting effort into it.

And technically you did download the .jpg. You can't open it without downloading it. But I know what you mean. Still, it's on your computer either way.

Thanks

Yeah, I figured I had downloaded it. I was just trying to deny it to myself because I felt stupid.

I scanned for viruses twice and there's nothing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You're fine. If it actually displays like an image then it's not going to hurt. Just don't go mounting disk images and running apps from places you don't trust. When in doubt, Google it.

Not to say malware doesn't exist on OS X. It can but its not common and it's mostly Trojans that require user approval and usually ride along on pirated software.

You're fine. If it actually displays like an image then it's not going to hurt. Just don't go mounting disk images and running apps from places you don't trust. When in doubt, Google it.

Not to say malware doesn't exist on OS X. It can but its not common and it's mostly Trojans that require user approval and usually ride along on pirated software.

Yeah, I just clicked the attached image and looked at it via my email. It didn't have a warning beside it after being scanned and was just a .jpg file.

Thankfully my stupidity didn't cause any issues. Thanks.

Ninja Dom

Gonna ask here cos Gaming threads aren't much help.

I bought a cheap USB SNES style game controller and I bought the SNK Neo Geo Humble Bundle.

The game doesn't recognise the controller is present. Is there some sort of driver I have to install on OS X to get this game controller to work. Steam recognises it but the inputs are all wrong.

The Neo Geo Humble Bundle games download as individual dmg files that run each game independently.

Gonna ask here cos Gaming threads aren't much help.

I bought a cheap USB SNES style game controller and I bought the SNK Neo Geo Humble Bundle.

The game doesn't recognise the controller is present. Is there some sort of driver I have to install on OS X to get this game controller to work. Steam recognises it but the inputs are all wrong.

The Neo Geo Humble Bundle games download as individual dmg files that run each game independently.
How does it show up in Controllers lite? (free)

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/controllers-lite/id673660806?mt=12

hateradio

It's really weird. During Yosemite my WiFi was awesome. Now that they returned to the old network interface I've been getting issues again. I started on Mavericks.

I hope this new update fixes it a bit. Otherwise, is there a way to use Yosemite's interface? :p

It's really weird. During Yosemite my WiFi was awesome. Now that they returned to the old network interface I've been getting issues again. I started on Mavericks.

I hope this new update fixes it a bit. Otherwise, is there a way to use Yosemite's interface? :p
What issues are you getting?

The gamepad shows up fine in that application although the button mappings are very different to what they should be. Does the full version of this app allow me to permanently change the button mappings?
The full version can map game controller to keyboard and mouse input, but not another/same gamepad: https://vividmachine.com/controllers/ $5

Same goes for Joystick Mapper: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/joystick-mapper/id528183797?mt=12 $5
Free tester here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/joystick-show/id515886877?mt=12 (free)

Another free option: https://yukkurigames.com/enjoyable/

These are all limited in that they cannot map gamepad controls to gamepad controls

if you require that, you want: http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/ $25
which is more expensive but infinitely more capable and can map your gamepad with the odd layout to a virtual gamepad with the correct button layout, which you would then select in your game

alternatively you can rewire your gamepad ;)

hateradio

What issues are you getting?
Whenever I switch WiFi networks (home, school, etc) the network connects. However, I don't actually have a connection.

I have to turn off WiFi, turn it back on, and finally I'll get a valid IP.

I had this issue on Mavericks, but not as often. But now it's every time I switch networks. It's really annoying. I miss the newer interface that came with Yosemite. :'(

Ambitious

Are there still any actively maintained YouTube extensions for Safari around? I'm looking for the usual stuff: Disabling annotations, automatically choosing the best possible quality, maximizing the video player's size, hiding comments and so on.

There's YouTube Center. Last update 19 days ago. However, the developer warns that because of his new job, he doesn't have much time, so he only works on fixes for major bugs, at least for the time being.
I remember testing and disliking this one a long time ago, but I can't remember what issues I had with it, so I'm gonna try it again now.

There's also Options, formerly known as YouTube Options. Last update 18 days ago. Lots of useful features, but it's $2 a month.

Are there still any actively maintained YouTube extensions for Safari around? I'm looking for the usual stuff: Disabling annotations, automatically choosing the best possible quality, maximizing the video player's size, hiding comments and so on.

There's YouTube Center. Last update 19 days ago. However, the developer warns that because of his new job, he doesn't have much time, so he'll only work on fixes for majors bugs, at least for the time being.
I remember testing and disliking this one a long time ago, but I can't remember what issues I had with it, so I'm gonna try it again now.

There's also Options, formerly known as YouTube Options. Last update 18 days ago. Lots of useful features, but it's $2 a month.

youtubecenter for safari has been crap for a long time now. just installed it again after reading your post and yep, still same major bug which hasn't been fixed. its unusable and the developer has given up.

Whenever I switch WiFi networks (home, school, etc) the network connects. However, I don't actually have a connection.

I have to turn off WiFi, turn it back on, and finally I'll get a valid IP.

I had this issue on Mavericks, but not as often. But now it's every time I switch networks. It's really annoying. I miss the newer interface that came with Yosemite. :'(
Sounds like some odd settings your end. Try deleting the network device you're using and re-add it.

In Network settings: select your service, click minus, then click plus and re-add it.
Screen%20Shot%202015-12-12%20at%2022.45.42.png

There's YouTube Center. Last update 19 days ago. However, the developer warns that because of his new job, he doesn't have much time, so he only works on fixes for major bugs, at least for the time being.

Try: http://samvlu.github.io/youtube-annotation-blocker/
(hides annotations rather than activating the switch)

And: https://github.com/manolosavi/YouTube-HD
(not without it's quirks but works well on the whole)

Ambitious

Wow, YouTube Center looks great. Lots of settings. I just wish I could remember why I uninstalled it back then.
Unfortunately, blocking annotations doesn't work for some reason.

youtubecenter for safari has been crap for a long time now. just installed it again after reading your post and yep, still same major bug which hasn't been fixed. its unusable and the developer has given up.

What kind of bug is this?

Sounds like some odd settings your end. Try deleting the network device you're using and re-add it.

In Network settings: select your service, click minus, then click plus and re-add it.
Screen%20Shot%202015-12-12%20at%2022.45.42.png

Try: http://samvlu.github.io/youtube-annotation-blocker/
(hides annotations rather than activating the switch)

And: https://github.com/manolosavi/YouTube-HD
(not without it's quirks but works well on the whole)

Thanks!

Ambitious

usb1cusfy.png

Oh, great. I'm using a negative amount of space.

After selecting a different item and re-selecting the flash drive (note the unchanged value in the table below):
usb2xpsrn.png

After restarting Disk Utility:
usb1cusfy.png

Shoddy.

Is there no way to see which IAPs are available for an app in iTunes?

Because you can actually see them in iTunes Preview in the browser. No idea where to find them in iTunes itself.

Ambitious

Yes you can.

I double-checked and.. indeed, you're right. They're at the bottom of the left part of the view, same as in iTunes Preview. Now I'm seriously confused. I swear, I can remember them being not displayed on several occasions.

There do seem to be differences between iTunes Preview (left) and iTunes (right) though:

bildschirmfoto2015-12z0j93.png

But it says "Top IAPs", not "All IAPs". The list doesn't have a fixed size, so I assume the number of purchases for an IAP must exceed some static threshold for it to be included in that list. After some time on the App Store, every IAP of the app would show up. On the other hand, for an app that was just released, the list would be missing (as there wouldn't be any purchases yet).

As for the discrepancy in the screenshot above: The iTunes Preview site is the American one, and iTunes displays the Austrian iTunes Store. This means that the Top IAP lists are region-specific.

Finally, this would also explain why I can remember seeing IAPs in the web preview but not iTunes. When I click an App Store link somewhere, it's usually a link to the US page. When I open the iTunes Store, it's of course the Austrian one. Thus, if IAPs for some app are popular in the US but not in Austria, I would see the list in iTunes Preview but not the iTunes Store.

edit: From StackOverflow:

What you are seeing in the iTunes Store is the list of your top in app purchases. If none of your in app purchases are sold, they will not show up. Secondly it takes some time for this list to appear, so be patient and it will appear automatically after purchases are made.

You can see the top purchases on the AppStore on the website, iTunes and the AppStore app. However, I don't know what the limit of this list is. On this example application, there are only 6 in app purchases, and all of them are shown. If the app had 100 products, I doubt all would be shown.

These products also probably won't appear until a user has purchased at least one of each product.

We have an app with in-app purchase as well. I'm pretty sure the "Top In-App Purchases" started showing up the day after someone actually purchased it.

Regardless, if you want users to know you have an in-app purchase, you should use your description and screenshots to get that across.

Ninja Dom

The full version can map game controller to keyboard and mouse input, but not another/same gamepad: https://vividmachine.com/controllers/ $5

Same goes for Joystick Mapper: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/joystick-mapper/id528183797?mt=12 $5
Free tester here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/joystick-show/id515886877?mt=12 (free)

Another free option: https://yukkurigames.com/enjoyable/

These are all limited in that they cannot map gamepad controls to gamepad controls

if you require that, you want: http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/ $25
which is more expensive but infinitely more capable and can map your gamepad with the odd layout to a virtual gamepad with the correct button layout, which you would then select in your game

alternatively you can rewire your gamepad ;)

Woah, thanks for all of that.

zewone

Just got a Macbook Air.

Looking to install something called NTFS Driver, which is supposed to enable me the ability to write to NTFS formatted drives.

Is this legit before I install?

One of those programs is Paragon NTFS, which normally costs money but is free to use for Seagate external drives.

It's a good option if you're only going to have one NTFS drive.

Lnkn52

WTF, Apple. Why is this happening?

The stupid thing is it happened all of a sudden out of nowhere BEFORE I updated to the final 10.11.2 build. I was watching YouTube in fullscreen and the fullscreen process crashed and put it back in the tab like normal. Ever since this is how it shows up now. But if I snap a second window to it and then take that window out of fullscreen leaving the video only it takes up the whole thing. The fullscreen process crashed a couple more times since but seem to have stopped.

I rebooted. No dice. I updated to the final build. No dice. I erased the cache for Safari. No dice. No idea what caused it. This has never happened before and it's pissing me off now. Why? How?

Notice the video is at the top of the screen instead of centered which means it isn't mistakenly thinking there's another app on the right side. And for some reason the overlaying UI widgets are on the right, but the control bar is half the width. What in the world kind of problem is this? Why is it happening?

All I can do is keep rebooting and hope it fixes itself. It only happens on my non-Retina iMac. Not my Retina MacBook Pro.

Has this been resolved? I have the same issue, what I end up doing is pausing and then resuming the video.

This is a general OSX question I've had for a while, maybe somebody can help.

Let's say I want to find a document, but I don't know the name of the document.

I know it's in the same folder as a file called history.pdf

I search spotlight for 'history' and spotlight finds history.pdf as well as many other files with 'history' in the title. But I don't want to open history.pdf, I want to open the folder that it is located in.

The only way I know to do this is to scroll down to the bottom of the spotlight window, select 'Show all in Finder', then scroll through the results again to find history.pdf, then at the bottom of the finder window click the folder that history.pdf is located in.

I find myself doing this a dozen or so times a day. Is there a faster way? I would kill to be able to right click on history.pdf in the first spotlight window and select "Show in Finder" from there.

This is a general OSX question I've had for a while, maybe somebody can help.

Let's say I want to find a document, but I don't know the name of the document.

I know it's in the same folder as a file called history.pdf

I search spotlight for 'history' and spotlight finds history.pdf as well as many other files with 'history' in the title. But I don't want to open history.pdf, I want to open the folder that it is located in.

The only way I know to do this is to scroll down to the bottom of the spotlight window, select 'Show all in Finder', then scroll through the results again to find history.pdf, then at the bottom of the finder window click the folder that history.pdf is located in.

I find myself doing this a dozen or so times a day. Is there a faster way? I would kill to be able to right click on history.pdf in the first spotlight window and select "Show in Finder" from there.
Press command + return from spotlight to show file in finder.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Has this been resolved? I have the same issue, what I end up doing is pausing and then resuming the video.
Nope. I have to do the same thing.

I suspect it's a bug with OS X, but it's only YouTube's HTML5 player. Not others like Vimeo. What machine do you have? It happens on my non-Retina 27" iMac but not my 15" Retina MBP.

Ambitious

I've always had performance issues with Safari. Lag. Delays. Temporary lockups. Stuttering animations. Pages not being rendered (windows stays blank). Sites not being loaded at all. Tabs "dying" in the sense that they refuse to load any website at all, no matter what I try.
It's not like I was suffering from this issues permanently. They were frequent enough to piss me off, but rare enough to not make me do anything else besides rolling my eyes and muttering "fucking Safari".

Two days ago, it was especially terrible. I recently signed up with Trakt.tv to catalogue my movie library, so I had several Trakt tabs open. Switching tabs was slow. Unbearably slow. It seriously pissed me off. I didn't have anything else running, and restarting Safari didn't fix it. It's clearly Safari's fault.

I figured I might as well compare it with Chrome to see how bad it really was, and so I did. In the following videos, I first switched a few tabs one after another using the keyboard, and then I pressed the shortcut five times in rapid succession. You can see the delay between pressing the keys and switching the tab in the menu bar; the "Fenster" menu ("Window") flashes up when I press the keys.

Safari
Chrome

There's a huge delay in Safari. When I pressed the shortcut five times, I actually folded my arms and waited for it to finish. Chrome, on the other hand? It switches instantly. Instantly. Because why the hell wouldn't it? I tested Firefox too, though I didn't record it. It switches instantly, too. Obviously.

Enough is enough. Back to Chrome, this time for good.

Top Bottom