• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

X-Frame

I love my Samsung 840 SSD, and on my mid-2010 MBP I only get SATA- 2 speeds so when I upgrade I'll do a transplant and it'll be even faster at SATA-3 I think.

I won't own a computer without an SSD ever again.

hEist

well a gm, but this is kinda a bug that should not be in it:

Screen%20Shot%202013-10-07%20at%2018.09.46.png

normally the time should be there...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I was planning on switching to Safari from Chrome buy after doing a test yesterday where I opened all the same tabs I currently have in Chrome, I discovered that while Safari scrolled smoother in all cases, it slowed down like a motherfucker with more than a handful of tabs open. I was so disappointed. Guess I'll stick with Chrome for now even though 30 is really terrible right now. At least it doesn't crawl with all the tabs open.

X-Frame

I was planning on switching to Safari from Chrome buy after doing a test yesterday where I opened all the same tabs I currently have in Chrome, I discovered that while Safari scrolled smoother in all cases, it slowed down like a motherfucker with more than a handful of tabs open. I was so disappointed. Guess I'll stick with Chrome for now even though 30 is really terrible right now. At least it doesn't crawl with all the tabs open.

I was cleaning up my hard drive this weekend and noticed an unusual 4 GB worth of data for Chrome, I thought it seemed fishy so I Googled it and apparently it saves every past version of itself. That seems ridiculous to me so I deleted it. Safari does seem to be a memory hog, especially with a lot of tabs open, but I like how it syncs with Safari for iOS and 4 GB worth of disk space helps too. Chrome seems to be the only browser that does that and I don't know why.

Hatty

the price is usually announced by now isn't it?
I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being free

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My wife has a 13" Sandy Bridge MacBook Air (2011). Would there be any performance concerns upgrading to this?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I was cleaning up my hard drive this weekend and noticed an unusual 4 GB worth of data for Chrome, I thought it seemed fishy so I Googled it and apparently it saves every past version of itself. That seems ridiculous to me so I deleted it. Safari does seem to be a memory hog, especially with a lot of tabs open, but I like how it syncs with Safari for iOS and 4 GB worth of disk space helps too. Chrome seems to be the only browser that does that and I don't know why.
It's supposed to delete them. My normal Chrome does, but when I had Canary, it kept ballooning up to a few gigs. I got rid of Canary since I don't use it, but it's silly. Thankfully it's safe to delete the older versions. As long as you keep the highest numbered one.

I'm very OCD about disk space. I am constantly running GrandPerspective. It's how I discovered Canary's ginormous size.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I would use Finder Tabs if they made it easier to manage. I have 4 folders open right now. All separate. But there's no way to pull them all together, or even manually merge them because there's no tab until you have more than one.

There's also no way to reopen a tab if you accidentally close it. And the sidebar is on a per tab basis and not global to the window so if you close or resize it, you have to do it on all tabs.

GWX

I would use Finder Tabs if they made it easier to manage. I have 4 folders open right now. All separate. But there's no way to pull them all together, or even manually merge them because there's no tab until you have more than one.

There's also no way to reopen a tab if you accidentally close it. And the sidebar is on a per tab basis and not global to the window so if you close or resize it, you have to do it on all tabs.

Isn't there a menu option for merging all windows? I remember Federighi clicking such thing in the WWDC demo.

jts

...hate me...
Isn't there a menu option for merging all windows? I remember Federighi click such thing in the WWDC demo.
Yep. Window -> Merge All Windows.

btw, holy crap the GM update just showed up OTA to me. Not a dev, but I've been using the betas. Cool.

Will still buy, of course.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is this update free?
They should give it for free to MBP Retina users. Because now it's clear how much of an embarrassment ML really was for HiDPI UI performance. Not that running Windows 7 on it didn't make it mostly obvious before but this is finally an undeniable comparison.

I agree that most of the big "features" in Mavericks are pretty lame. Maps? There's already maps.google.com for that. iBooks? There's already kindle for Mac, not to mention how lame it is reading a book on your pc monitor.Calendar and Safari? Nice updates I guess but hardly worthy of touting as big features of your OS upgrade. I mean Chrome updates itself every 6 months or whatever for free.

The power features seem decent though. Multi monitor support, improvements to finder, the battery/memory improving features plus all the behind the hood stuff they're upgrading.

I just think mostly it's that OSX is a mature OS and there's really not much they can do to improve it. The Windows people ran out of ways to improve Windows and slapped on some terrible tablet features and ruined WIndows 8.

GWX

Yeah, they should make it like Safari and have cmd-Z undo the closing of a tab.

Or better: do it like *everyone else* and use Cmd+Shift+T to undo closing of tabs both in Safari and Finder. I mean, Cmd+T already opens a tab, it's only logical.

jts

...hate me...
I agree that most of the big "features" in Mavericks are pretty lame. Maps? There's already maps.google.com for that. iBooks? There's already kindle for Mac, not to mention how lame it is reading a book on your pc monitor.Calendar and Safari? Nice updates I guess but hardly worthy of touting as big features of your OS upgrade. I mean Chrome updates itself every 6 months or whatever for free.

The power features seem decent though. Multi monitor support, improvements to finder, the battery/memory improving features plus all the behind the hood stuff they're upgrading.

I just think mostly it's that OSX is a mature OS and there's really not much they can do to improve it. The Windows people ran out of ways to improve Windows and slapped on some terrible tablet features and ruined WIndows 8.
Well I love it that nice little advancements don't have to be held back 3+ years for a new major release of the OS. But imagine going pre-Lion to Mavericks. That would be something. And I personally believe that that feeling will be even more blatant next year with the likely UI revamp. And that would the be the normal lifecycle of an OS a couple of years ago.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Isn't there a menu option for merging all windows? I remember Federighi clicking such thing in the WWDC demo.
Yeah. There it is. So that's one thing. But there's still plenty of problems.

View->Show Tab Bar
The problem is that you still need to keep it in Toolbar/Open in place mode. They need to make it so you don't need to use the toolbar. And the sidebar needs to be global and not per tab.

Yeah, they should make it like Safari and have cmd-Z undo the closing of a tab.
No. They need to change to the Chrome and Firefox method of Command+Shift+T. Command+Z is too widely used for other stuff that it would just get confusing. But I'd take anything to reopen it.

Yeah. The center stage in the OS war has moved to mobile OSes, so there's probably less pressure in Apple to radically rethink OSX, or even redesign it much like they felt for redesigning iOS. Besides, people have pretty ingrained workflows on their Macs, and doing some Windows 8 style revamp probably wouldn't go over very well.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah. The center stage in the OS war has moved to mobile OSes, so there's probably less pressure in Apple to radically rethink OSX, or even redesign it much like they felt for redesigning iOS. Besides, people have pretty ingrained workflows on their Macs, and doing some Windows 8 style revamp probably wouldn't go over very well.
If there's one thing I would not mind, it would be if they borrowed Windows 8's ability to put two Fullscreen apps next to each other on the same screen.

Though I'd much prefer if some developer would code a video player that could be set to "always on top always front and center" mode where the window would stay on the screen even when you switch to another space. Apps have the ability to do this, (Think the WiFi login window that pops up when you join a network that requires an agreement to use, that window stays on top at all times and follows you from space to space no matter where you go.) but no one has taken the time to code a video player that can do this. Basically I'd love to have a video playing, down in the corner of my screen floating on top of my browser. Actually, someone should make a plugin to create a virtual second resizable "display" that could be resized to anything that I could then place an app on, say a video player or a browser tab open to YouTube, that would float on top of any other normal display's windows and would stay front and center. Then you'd have the ability to have a second display showing a movie or video at any time even if you don't actually have another display with you at the time. Of course it could be moved anywhere.

It's a dream app I know, and if I knew how to code, I'd code the shit out of it. It's all completely possible, as all the components are completely possible and have been done. Someone just needs to merge them into one app.

You'd need to:
Have a window that floats on top and stays on screen no matter what space you're on (Like the WiFi Login window)
Fool the computer into outputting to a secondary virtual display (Much like AirDisplay does)
Have this window display the contents of a display (Much like AirDisplay's iOS app)

Then you'd be able to use that virtual floating display in Mission Control and move a Fullscreen app, say a browser or video player, to it and display it like a Picture-in-Picture.

Someone please code my Picture-in-Picture app please!

Silly little stream of consciousness ahead:
Right now Windows 8's Metro apps and OS X's Fullscreen windows are basically the same concept, but done differently, but they're basically the same functionality-wise. The main differences being that W8's FS apps are made for touch while OS X's are just optimized to utilize the whole screen. The Desktop is treated as its own space on both OS'. They're basically the same paradigm, just done differently. I prefer OS X's way. But it could learn a thing or two from Windows.

Iacobellis

They should give it for free to MBP Retina users. Because now it's clear how much of an embarrassment ML really was for HiDPI UI performance. Not that running Windows 7 on it didn't make it mostly obvious before but this is finally an undeniable comparison.

10.8 has never been bad for me, at least not at 1440 x 900 on the 15 inch model.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wasn't sure what you meant at first but playing with the tabs a bit more I understand now. Maybe they'll tweak some things in a point release once they get wider feedback.

Regardless of what shortcut they use I think Safari and Finder should match. I don't use Chrome so Command+Z seems perfectly natural to me.
I use Chrome, and both it and Firefox use Command+Shift+T to reopen a closed tab. (Complete with their original tab history) It's very intuitive. Command+Z should not be used for reopening tabs. It's meant for undoing text input. And could get confusing if you want to undo typing and accidentally reopen a tab instead. Keep them separate.

In the Finder, Command+Z is used for renaming, moving, copying, etc. Those are file actions. It shouldn't apply to window actions as well. It should be separate under the History or Window menu.

Fuchsdh

I'm very OCD about disk space. I am constantly running GrandPerspective. It's how I discovered Canary's ginormous size.

Considering how fastidious I am about keeping my filesystem organized, and the fact that I use SSDs for my boot drive, it's wonderful having GrandPerspective.

Jeezus though, why does the sleepimage file not occasionally purge itself? 12GB last I checked. Same thing with page thumbnails in Safari--just dopey.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Considering how fastidious I am about keeping my filesystem organized, and the fact that I use SSDs for my boot drive, it's wonderful having GrandPerspective.

Jeezus though, why does the sleepimage file not occasionally purge itself? 12GB last I checked. Same thing with page thumbnails in Safari--just dopey.
Your sleepimage is 12GB? On Mavericks it's supposed to be compressed. Are you on Mavericks? Right now my entire VM folder is 2.21GB. 1.07 for the sleepimage and 1.07 for swapfile1 with a 67.1MB swapfile0. And it rarely goes over 3.5GB total in Mavericks.

I am so OCD I delete my cache folder contents all the time. /Library, /User/Me/Library and /System/Library. But yeah, browsers have the worse cache. Cache isn't even needed nor useful when you have an SSD. Browser makers need to make it so you can disable it completely. All the important data is saved in your profile anyway.

japtor

Though I'd much prefer if some developer would code a video player that could be set to "always on top always front and center" mode where the window would stay on the screen even when you switch to another space. Apps have the ability to do this, (Think the WiFi login window that pops up when you join a network that requires an agreement to use, that window stays on top at all times and follows you from space to space no matter where you go.) but no one has taken the time to code a video player that can do this. Basically I'd love to have a video playing, down in the corner of my screen floating on top of my browser. Actually, someone should make a plugin to create a virtual second resizable "display" that could be resized to anything that I could then place an app on, say a video player or a browser tab open to YouTube, that would float on top of any other normal display's windows and would stay front and center. Then you'd have the ability to have a second display showing a movie or video at any time even if you don't actually have another display with you at the time. Of course it could be moved anywhere.

It's a dream app I know, and if I knew how to code, I'd code the shit out of it. It's all completely possible, as all the components are completely possible and have been done. Someone just needs to merge them into one app.

You'd need to:
Have a window that floats on top and stays on screen no matter what space you're on (Like the WiFi Login window)
Fool the computer into outputting to a secondary virtual display (Much like AirDisplay does)
Have this window display the contents of a display (Much like AirDisplay's iOS app)

Then you'd be able to use that virtual floating display in Mission Control and move a Fullscreen app, say a browser or video player, to it and display it like a Picture-in-Picture.

Someone please code my Picture-in-Picture app please!
Not sure if it still works in Mavericks, but for video at least:

MPlayerX
Float above windows option in prefs
Right click dock icon, options->assign to all desktops

For other apps/windows there was a hack called Afloat that still works as of Mountain Lion but no clue in Mavericks.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Not sure if it still works in Mavericks, but for video at least:

MPlayerX
Float above windows option in prefs
Right click dock icon, options->assign to all desktops

For other apps/windows there was a hack called Afloat that still works as of Mountain Lion but no clue in Mavericks.
Afloat never had the option to make it always on screen though. I had suggested it to them, but last I checked it does not offer the feature I want to see. And the app didn't work well enough because SIMBL always crashed since the dev had stopped working on it.

Afloat is also abandoned. The developer doesn't work on it anymore. And SIMBL's last version came out with Snow Leopard. They're basically dead. I need something with a pulse.

"Assign to all desktops" only applies to desktop spaces. Fullscreen windows do not count as desktops.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just did a clean install of Mavericks. Improvements seem very minor to me, doubt I'll use the new apps much. But it's all good. I do have a problem though, can you help GAF?

I have a logitech mouse I use with my MBP... love the touchpad but can't stand using nothing but my fingertip to move the cursor. Having a problem with its scroll-wheel though.

With 10.8, any movement of the scroll wheel would register and it all scrolled at the same speed. Now, the wheel works more like the mouse pad, meaning it has variable scroll speed. Problem is, if you are inching your way down a page with the scroll wheel, this is terrible, as slight movements of the mouse wheel do not register very well so you really have to crank it to get much movement.

Does anyone know if there is any setting to change it? No, I already looked in preferences, there is no setting at all for this... in fact all the settings there are very basic. I also tried installing the logitech driver from their site but it won't install because it's not compatible with 10.9

With 10.8, any movement of the scroll wheel would register and it all scrolled at the same speed. Now, the wheel works more like the mouse pad, meaning it has variable scroll speed. Problem is, if you are inching your way down a page with the scroll wheel, this is terrible, as slight movements of the mouse wheel do not register very well so you really have to crank it to get much movement.

You must have had a third party application/driver doing this that you lost when you did a clean install, the behaviour you complain about is how the mousewheel works for me in 10.8 with no drivers— the speed at which you scroll the mousewheel affects the magnitude of each stop (MS Laser Mouse here).

edgefusion

Is iBooks still awful? It's no good to me as a book/pdf manager if it doesn't actually sync anything. Also, dumping all my album booklets from iTunes in there = dumb.

Appleman

What's with the weird colouring in Messages now?

Also, it feels like they removed the vertical lock when scrolling a page, so now you can accidentally scroll sideways (but I can't remember if that was there before)

I just finished downloading Bioshock Infinite only to find out I need OSX 10.8 in order to play it (I have 10.7). Oh well, at least I can back up the data before doing a clean install.

japtor

Afloat never had the option to make it always on screen though. I had suggested it to them, but last I checked it does not offer the feature I want to see. And the app didn't work well enough because SIMBL always crashed since the dev had stopped working on it.

Afloat is also abandoned. The developer doesn't work on it anymore. And SIMBL's last version came out with Snow Leopard. They're basically dead. I need something with a pulse.

"Assign to all desktops" only applies to desktop spaces. Fullscreen windows do not count as desktops.
Well for your floating global movie player want the MPlayer+assign all desktops thing should work unless MPlayer's function broke, it's got nothing to do with Afloat or SIMBL.

As for having a little floating desktop space, from dealing with floating windows before...it'd probably be pretty annoying. The issue is that if it's treated as just another window you end up with stuff behind it, and the only way to get to that stuff is to move/hide the window, which kind of defeats the purpose. If it blocks out its section of the screen to prevent that stuff it'd be alright.

Haven't thought about it until now, but I don't remember the last time I've used Afloat to float a window, pretty much because it ended up being kind of annoying because that stuff. I still use it the drag window function (hold modifiers, drag window from anywhere), although I'm using Moom more for window movement/organization these days.

edit- from some quick searching it sounds like SIMBL still works in Mavericks?! I remember Snow Leopard or Lion was supposed to break how SIMBL worked, I'm amazed it's still surviving.

Iacobellis

That's because that's the non-retina resolution.

That's why it is called "Best for Retina Display". 1920 x 1200 is fine for basic things, but doing any photo/video editing brings it to a crawl. The 650M + Ivy Bridge i7 simply couldn't handle downsampling 3840 x 2400.

Estocolmo

Just ordered a MacBook Air 2013, i5, 256gb SSD with 8 gb ram. Im using Chrome on my 2009 MacBook with more than 1000 bookmarks, but with the new MacBook and especially Mavericks, im going to give Safari another chance.

Kvik

For every new iteration of MacOS X, I went over the complete feature list to check if XFS is finally natively supported.

Each time I came out dissapointed. :-\

At least their NFS implementation was pretty solid.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well for your floating global movie player want the MPlayer+assign all desktops thing should work unless MPlayer's function broke, it's got nothing to do with Afloat or SIMBL.
No. That option only works for "Desktop" spaces. In fact, the option isn't even available at all unless you have more than one to use. It does not apply to fullscreen windows at all. And you can't move a floating window onto a fullscreen app window manually even after the fact. Only off of it onto a Desktop space. I don't think even Windows 8-like side-app functionality would work well either since it would still waste a lot of space above the video. But an option that let me drag a floating on top window onto a fullscreen window and keep it there would work wonders. Actually, to be honest, I did have a sort of application working that could do this. Movist. I created a duplicate of Movist and modified the PLIST inside to make it not have a Dock icon presence so OS X treated it as a background app. As long as I launched the app while in the app I want to keep it viewed in (Say Chrome) via Spotlight, it would stay on top and on the space it was opened in, until I drag it, at which point it would only move to Desktop spaces. A hacked Movist would be an option now, but the app has always been buggy and it's a very clunky solution as making an app not have a Dock icon means making it also not have a menubar. And Movist is very crashy. (Fake edit: It seems Movist is not dead, but it was moved to the Mac App Store. The last non-MAS version is 0.6.8 which was free and is buggy. But the new 1.3.1 version on the MAS is $4.99. I'm not paying $5 for a video player just to find out if it still lets me remove its Dock icon.)

Here's a super Edmund McMillan infused screenshot of my old hacked Movist method of Picture-in-Picture: (This is an actual picture of it in action. Not just a mockup.)
Unfortunately it's unfeasable as I found out long ago it only works for videos, and all my videos are on a network, and Movist crashes at quit when closing a network video, and also it wouldn't help with YouTube viewing. If I could have a sort of hybrid AirDisplay-esque app that instead created a secondary display in a window instead of streaming it to an iOS app, and it could be dragged around anywhere on screen and resized at will, it'd be perfect, but soooo niche.

As for having a little floating desktop space, from dealing with floating windows before...it'd probably be pretty annoying.
This is a feature for me. I want this Picture-in-Picture, I want it to be covering something up in the corner, I want to be inconvenienced into having to move it if there's something behind it because it's meant for me, when I am browsing and want a video playing and I don't have an iPad or a place to put it to watch it there instead. It's not a feature Apple's going to build in, unfortunately. It's a niche. It's a specific audience. And there are probably a lot of people who would get some use out of it. They just don't know it.

Haven't thought about it until now, but I don't remember the last time I've used Afloat to float a window, pretty much because it ended up being kind of annoying because that stuff. I still use it the drag window function (hold modifiers, drag window from anywhere), although I'm using Moom more for window movement/organization these days.
Moom is for windows. I don't use windows, I use fullscreen apps. If I'm going to use my browser in a window, I might as well be using Snow Leopard. I use fullscreen apps because it's how a modern OS should work for apps like these. I spend so little time in my Desktop space. I almost never interact with a windowed application aside from the Finder. (And iPhoto because its Fullscreen mode is terrible.)

edit- from some quick searching it sounds like SIMBL still works in Mavericks?! I remember Snow Leopard or Lion was supposed to break how SIMBL worked, I'm amazed it's still surviving.
It's crashy in anything above Snow Leopard. And it's abandoned and not supported. And last time I asked about a bug with a plugin someone had made (A plugin for Finder that would make the sidebar colored) where it would try to load the plugin before SIMBL itself and maybe he could fix it so it wouldn't load the plugins until SIMBL was finished, he replied "SIMBL isn't meant for the Finder". Really? Then why are there plenty of SIMBL plugins for the Finder? I gave up on Finder plugins. And I gave up on Afloat when it would randomly stop working as well. SIMBL is buggy as hell and crashy as hell and unusable. You might as well try to install an Unsanity Haxie in this day and age.

Sorry, but trust me. This is a very niche idea that probably no one developer has ever thought to make because none of them have ever needed it. It's completely possible, but not highly sought after. And since I'm not a Cocoa developer, it will probably never get made unless I find some developer to do it for me, and even if I did, they'd still have a tough time figuring out what stuff to code to make it work. Hell, Afloat is open-source, and I bet if I knew what I was looking for API wise, I could figure out how to make it work. But then again, SIMBL is still unsupported and dead.

I might as well just carry my iPhone and charging cable with me, and create a sort of clip stand that clips onto my MacBook display that I can use for watching videos in this manner. (I actually tried to jerry-rig one once. It worked, but not stable (Foundation-wise, not software-wise) at all. Actually, this is probably a better idea and easier to code... since there's no code. (Of course then I have to put up with the sound coming from the iPhone speakers instead of the better stereo speakers.)

Thanks for your concern and interest in my ranting. It's still just a crazy dream. Sorry for all the so many words.

Just ordered a MacBook Air 2013, i5, 256gb SSD with 8 gb ram. Im using Chrome on my 2009 MacBook with more than 1000 bookmarks, but with the new MacBook and especially Mavericks, im going to give Safari another chance.
I am planning on using Safari exclusively for a week. Chrome has just gotten so terrible for me. I was on 30 and it was shitty, so switched to 31 and it still has the same shitty bug 30 had and is even worse in some ways. Safari however works so well, but it's so different. So I want to take a week where I only use Safari and don't even touch Chrome on any devices. After the week is over I'd decide if I want to stay with Safari or not. Not sure when I want to do it, but Chrome is doing its best to make me want to start now.

japtor

Thanks for your concern and interest in my ranting. It's still just a crazy dream. Sorry for all the so many words.
Heh nah it's cool. Completely missed that you were only working in fullscreen stuff this whole time, and looking at the screenshot resolution I understand the difference in views. I'm on a 24" at 1920x1200 and have been waiting to move to a 27-30" 2560x1440 (or 1600) display eventually whenever this 24" dies. Instead of fullscreen I usually section off my screen with Moom and end up with something like "fullscreen" workspaces with multiple apps filling out the blocks.

Fullscreen for browsing is kinda pointless most of the time unless I zoom for huge text or deal with long ass lines of text, and there's only a few apps that I really use it for (VMware and iPhoto off the top of my head...until I get out of it cause I need something in the windowed view). I wouldn't mind using it with Pixelmator but it's not really designed for fullscreen use, the floating palettes just end up covering a bunch of the content when fullscreened, similar to the Inspector in iWork apps, but at least those have more toolbar controls.

I don't think the idea is necessarily niche...in the context of fullscreen apps alone like the iPad (I'd be fine if they copied MS here), it just becomes niche once you're talking about doing it within a fully windowed OS.

Artemisia

Banned
Didn't know where to ask so I will ask here. So my new Macbook Air's trackpad isn't as clicky as it used to be and feels kinda sticky. I want to open it to take a look at the bottom of the trackpad.

Will I be able to clean it? Is it an easy job? Will doing this myself void my warranty? Will Apple do it for free if I am under Applecare (the computer isn't even two months old)?

Dany

Banned
I need an alternative to iPhoto. I only have 2.5 GB in my Dropbox. Should I use Flickr? It is just to slow, cumbersome and takes up so much ram to run. I have like 44 gigs of photos/video.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wouldn't mind using it with Pixelmator but it's not really designed for fullscreen use, the floating palettes just end up covering a bunch of the content when fullscreened.
Same thing happens with PhotoShop (At least up through CS3, I assume the newer ones still do the same thing) in fullscreen mode. It's useless because palettes cover the image. They could at least make it so the image always resizes to fit in between them. I'd love to use PS in fullscreen. I was hoping Pixelmator worked better but I guess not if what you say is true.

As for browsers, I know Chrome has a setting to make overall text bigger. Not sure about Safari or Firefox. I am getting a 13 or 15" rMBP when they come out (Not sure which) and I plan on setting it to the highest "resolution" setting I can reasonably read.

Speaking of iPhoto, I really wish Apple had an option to have it upload your entire iPhoto library to iCloud and view it from the Photos app on your iOS device or a web browser without having to sync the entire thing to your device. See, I'd love to sync my entire iPhoto library to my iPhone, but iPhoto is so shitty that it creates a cache for each device that equals the exact same size of the library itself on your computer. It's a waste of space! It's as bad as iMovie taking my 700MB video, and creating a thumbnail video 500MB in size. Talk about lack of optimization!

Just a checkbox in iPhoto that tells it to upload and store the library in the cloud instead of on my phone. Then I wouldn't need to sync to my phone and take up 2.5GB of space just for a cache. I would gladly just sync the library to my phone if it didn't create this cache.

I'm very OCD about my files on my main drive and caches really bug the shit out of me in the SSD age. I am constantly deleting them for no reason other than I can't stand knowing they're there.

Top Bottom