• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

japtor

Didn't know where to ask so I will ask here. So my new Macbook Air's trackpad isn't as clicky as it used to be and feels kinda sticky. I want to open it to take a look at the bottom of the trackpad.

Will I be able to clean it? Is it an easy job? Will doing this myself void my warranty? Will Apple do it for free if I am under Applecare (the computer isn't even two months old)?
Taking it apart could void your warranty if you screw up, considering the tolerances (and that you're still under warranty) you might as well take it to Apple first...hopefully it's a simple fix* and not something like liquid damage causing it.

*I vaguely remember something about adjusting a little screw underneath, but that might be the MBPs.

Rootbeer

Banned
You must have had a third party application/driver doing this that you lost when you did a clean install, the behaviour you complain about is how the mousewheel works for me in 10.8 with no drivers— the speed at which you scroll the mousewheel affects the magnitude of each stop (MS Laser Mouse here).

Right... well, I guess i'll wait and pray that Logitech releases new drivers soon. They are pretty slow with mac support, with a lot of mice (particularly the gaming mice) getting no drivers at all.

b0b

Neo Member
Kvikmyndahús;85384339 said:
At least their NFS implementation was pretty solid.

oh, thats interesting.

NFS v3 was really slow for me. The most I got was ~40MB/s with 1000mbit speed network and NFS set to "async". There are reasons not to use "async" through. NFS should do (a lot) more than 40MB/s.

Any suggestions how to make it faster? NFS server is a debian (stable/wheezy) box.

And the NFS v4 implementation (osx 10.8) is buggy as hell. idmapping isn't working. It's even slower than NFSv3.

for OSX 10.9
I'm more interested in better NFS and SMB support. The outcome of the deprication of MCX-Settings. AD-Binding. Binding to non-OpenDirectory LDAPs (yeah, apple is a pain...) etc etc
I don't care that much for cosmetic changes.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I am so OCD I delete my cache folder contents all the time. /Library, /User/Me/Library and /System/Library. But yeah, browsers have the worse cache. Cache isn't even needed nor useful when you have an SSD. Browser makers need to make it so you can disable it completely. All the important data is saved in your profile anyway.
I think your OCD has prevented you from thinking this position through. Browser cache is for keeping local copies of downloaded data. Having an SSD has no bearing on this. Furthermore, on-disk caches are often about having something ready for easy consumption, as you'd still have to go to disk to get it anyway be it magnetic media or SSD.

Really, the main difference an SSD would make is for file caching in memory because the disparity in speed is less, but even then your RAM is faster than an SSD, so it's not like file caching is obsolete.

kaioshade

oh, thats interesting.

NFS v3 was really slow for me. The most I got was ~40MB/s with 1000mbit speed network and NFS set to "async". There are reasons not to use "async" through. NFS should do (a lot) more than 40MB/s.

Any suggestions how to make it faster? NFS server is a debian (stable/wheezy) box.

And the NFS v4 implementation (osx 10.8) is buggy as hell. idmapping isn't working. It's even slower than NFSv3.

for OSX 10.9
I'm more interested in better NFS and SMB support. The outcome of the deprication of MCX-Settings. AD-Binding. Binding to non-OpenDirectory LDAPs (yeah, apple is a pain...) etc etc

The SMB improvements alone are a godsend. It is actually very usable and almost on par with Windows now. Still a few little problems with the OS, but its solid as hell.

ramyeon

The GM is what will be released publicly right? So I could just restore from it and then buy the public release when it's put on the App Store? Would I need to upgrade again at all from the GM?

ced

Well good news is this doesn't give me a horrible eye and headache like 10.8 does.

for OSX 10.9

AD integration so far is stable, and seems unchanged from 10.7 +

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yup. Chances are good that Mavericks will definitely be out next week.

I just wish it wasn't what we supposedly got as GM. It's so unfinished! Oh well. Hopefully this means the app updates start coming.

X-Frame

Yup. Chances are good that Mavericks will definitely be out next week.

I just wish it wasn't what we supposedly got as GM. It's so unfinished! Oh well. Hopefully this means the app updates start coming.

That makes me nervous about updating. I know they took developers off of this for iOS 7. Surely that affected things.

LCfiner

That makes me nervous about updating. I know they took developers off of this for iOS 7. Surely that affected things.

10.9 is very stable for me and all my apps seem to work fine, no crashing. no issues there. New features work as advertised, too. But some apps haven't had a visual makeover and still look Forstall'd. it sticks out more than before.

Fuchsdh

I personally always wait for a 10.X.1 or .2 release before I upgrade. Especially since lots of devs still support 10.6.8, you don't have to worry about your stable version going out of date by waiting a few months. Especially if you have a desktop that won't benefit from the power upgrades.

Number45

Is there a full list of Safari changes on Mavericks anywhere? Stalling on installing Chrome on my MBA, but if they're not fixing my main issues then I'll just stick with Chrome.

iKhayal18

In my case (MPB 2009) it seems to be much slower (Safari consumes a lot of CPU compared to Mountain Lion) and also it sucks a lot more of battery compared to ML. My MBP has been always with the fans at full speed since I installed Mavericks.

Iacobellis

In my case (MPB 2009) it seems to be much slower (Safari consumes a lot of CPU compared to Mountain Lion) and also it sucks a lot more of battery compared to ML. My MBP has been always with the fans at full speed since I installed Mavericks.

Damn... Glad I dropped that machine last year for an rMBP. 15 inch?

Sanic

How's battery life been for everyone? I'm (of course) reading conflicting reports.

I'm on a 2012 MBA 11 inch and I absolutely cannot sacrifice any battery life, as much as I want to upgrade.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I know it's incredibly unlikely - but I'm really, really hoping I can walk into the Apple Store tomorrow and buy a new 15" Retina MBP (with dedicated GPU). But knowing we're waiting on Mavericks makes me certain the new laptops will be out whenever it releases.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wonder if the rumor about a silent update to the GM is true. I think when Mavericks comes out, I'm going to do a fresh reinstall anyway.

RevoDS

How's battery life been for everyone? I'm (of course) reading conflicting reports.

I'm on a 2012 MBA 11 inch and I absolutely cannot sacrifice any battery life, as much as I want to upgrade.

I thought battery was supposed to improve?

Seems to be hit or miss depending on who you ask, as you've noticed. It's a polarizing issue with major changes in either direction so it's going to be tough to tell without installing it yourself.

Personally, I couldn't be happier with my battery life. On my 2009 13" MBP, the battery life has gone from around 2 hours to just under 3 hours after I installed Mavericks. (yes, my battery is getting pretty damn close to its deathbed)

That's enough to give it another year of life before I get around to upgrading though...

Attention everyone! Attention all Mac users!

Mavericks is NOW AVAILABLE and it is NOW FREE!

Any clarification as to how far back you can update from, since they were pushing getting EVERYONE up to date?

I'm running Mountain Lion, but my fiance is running Leopard - I'd love to get her machine running on Mavericks.

jstripes

Banned
Yes, I can finally upgrade my mom from Snow Leopard. She didn't wanna pay for updates. (For her uses, I can't blame her.)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Any clarification as to how far back you can update from, since they were pushing getting EVERYONE up to date?

I'm running Mountain Lion, but my fiance is running Leopard - I'd love to get her machine running on Mavericks.
From Snow Leopard up.
Gotcha. Guess I'll have to get her Snow Leopard first.
The reason is because Snow Leopard is the first OS X to have the App Store. So you need to have the MAS in order to get OS X anymore. They don't sell discs or USB sticks anymore. Update to SL however you can. I don't know how much it costs though. Maybe you can take it to an Apple Store and sweet talk the Genius into getting you up to date since it's free now and there shouldn't really be any barrier.

BUT since you're on Mountain Lion on one machine, if you create a bootable USB stick from your Mavericks installer, you could use that to go right to it on her machine.

Top Bottom