• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Mavericks |OT| ... it's not called Liger :(

Deku Tree

I haven't experienced that password problem since iCloud started saving my mail passwords. And I've never had the folders problem. And I always delete my drafts folder. And I set it to only store drafts locally anyway.

EmiPrime

Those two I also run into. All be it the password thing is once every couple of months or so.
And the drafts don't bother me too much as I empty my folders regularly.

It helps that I recently went from storing all my emails all neat and tidy into folders et al. to deleting every email once it's been processed.
It was was very liberating just deleting thousands of emails in one stroke. So far I haven't missed anything. ;)

I'm just not willing to work around its flaws any more. So far Airmail is working a lot better.

This means that the only Apple app I still use is Calendar. Luckily Mac developers are so talented that it doesn't matter that much.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah and I use airdroid but i'd like an app which registers the phone as a digital camera when I connect, knows which photos are already imported vs not.
iPhoto is supposed to do that. As long as the device has a folder with the proper name (DCIM) it should act like its a camera.

Vashetti

Banned
Anyone have the issue where you close a tab on Safari and the browser just locks for a few seconds and does the beachball loading thing?

It's really frustrating and my only problem with Safari.

Edit: did some fiddling, disabled my extensions, problem still occurred. Removed Rapport and it appears to have fixed it. Not sure why I still had that installed anyway. Oh well!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've now, finally, fully ditched Flash.

Feels good.
I wish I could. There's still too many things I need it for. A lot of sites don't have HTML5 versions on the web. (Even though they have mobile versions which proves that they could easily make an HTML5 version of their player.)

I do have an extension for YouTube to force HTML5 on 99% of websites. And for most of the rest of the web I have it set to block by default in Safari.

I long for the day when I can actually remove it.

cjp

It is indeed a great feeling.

Yup. Should have done it earlier really, I had no real need for it.

Is there a specific way to go about this?

What do you mean? I just ran the uninstall utility that Adobe provides haha.

I wish I could. There's still too many things I need it for. A lot of sites don't have HTML5 versions on the web. (Even though they have mobile versions which proves that they could easily make an HTML5 version of their player.)

I do have an extension for YouTube to force HTML5 on 99% of websites. And for most of the rest of the web I have it set to block by default in Safari.

Yeah, I'm using YouTube Center to serve HTML5. As for for the one or two others I've visited today, LiveLeak and some other random one, now that I've removed Flash they served me HTML5 by default.

As for other sites which have a HTML5 mobile player...

Safari > Preferences > Advanced > Show Develop menu in menu bar

and then just

Develop > User Agent > Safari iOS7 iPhone

to load the HTML5 version.

I'll be happy enough leaving Silverlight behind for Netflix with Yosemite.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, I'm using YouTube Center to serve HTML5. As for for the one or two others I've visited today, LiveLeak and some other random one, now that I've removed Flash they served me HTML5 by default.

As for other sites which have a HTML5 mobile player...

Safari > Preferences > Advanced > Show Develop menu in menu bar

and then just

Develop > User Agent > Safari iOS7 iPhone

to load the HTML5 version.
The sad thing is when you have a site set to "block" Flash in Safari, it doesn't send a message to the website saying that it doesn't exist. So sites will just beg for you to enable it. There needs to be an option to actually send a message to the website on page load that Flash doesn't exist (Even if it does) so it can serve up the HTML5 Flash-less version without having to disable plug-ins and use the Develop menu to request the iPhone version.

I use YouTube Center too. I love it. But I had to go through a whole bunch of other YouTube helpers before getting to it because all the other ones kept breaking and the devs would stop updating quick enough. So far YTC works fine.

I wonder if I could go without Flash for a week. I've disabled plugins in Safari for now and am going to see how often I run into a situation where I need it. Safari doesn't let you disable plugins individually for some reason and blocking is not the same as disabling. So I had to disable all of them. (Alternatively I'd have to remove the plugin itself from the Finder. But seeing as I never use any of the other plugins I have installed I won't bother right now.)

I did load up TGWTG to test out a video without Flash enabled and all it does is show a blank black rectangle where the video should be. If I change the User Agent to iPhone it shows an HTML5 player. I don't understand why sites don't offer that player as an option out of the box.

Ambitious

Wow, I just realized that when searching for files within Finder in Mavericks, for music files it displays the ID3 title tag instead of the actual file name. What the fuck were they thinking? It's a goddamn file manager!

Ambitious

Anything I can do about broken images in iPhoto?

That's what the thumbnail looks like:

bildschirmfoto2014-073jj90.png

And that's what I see when I double-click it:

bildschirmfoto2014-073hb8i.png

I already tried all options from the first aid menu (repairing permissions, rebuilding thumbnails, repairing the database, and rebuilding the database).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It means that photo has been deleted from the iPhoto Library folder package, but the database thinks it's still there. Do you know what it's supposed to be? You might just need to delete that entry from the database. What happens if you choose "Show in Finder"?

Ambitious

It means that photo has been deleted from the iPhoto Library folder package, but the database thinks it's still there. Do you know what it's supposed to be? You might just need to delete that entry from the database. What happens if you choose "Show in Finder"?

Shouldn't stuff like this be fixed by repairing and/or rebuilding?
There are several of them, and they're all in the middle of series of pictures shot in quick succession. I guess my iPhone didn't properly save them (or maybe didn't even take a picture at all) but nevertheless created a record somewhere.

"Show in Finder" just shows me an error message about not being able to find the original file. But as I wrote, I took a bunch of pictures within a few seconds, so it's no big deal to lose those few. I'll delete them manually, there are just seven anyway.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Shouldn't stuff like this be fixed by repairing and/or rebuilding?
There are several of them, and they're all in the middle of series of pictures shot in quick succession. I guess my iPhone didn't properly save them (or maybe didn't even take a picture at all) but nevertheless created a record somewhere.

"Show in Finder" just shows me an error message about not being able to find the original file. But as I wrote, I took a bunch of pictures within a few seconds, so it's no big deal to lose those few. I'll delete them manually, there are just seven anyway.
You'd think it would, but it doesn't. For some reason repairing and rebuilding does not remove broken links. Or even report them. I found a few myself a few months ago when I was cleaning up my library that rebuilding didn't remove.

I'm just biding my time until Photos comes out so we can dump this software for good.

Ambitious

You'd think it would, but it doesn't. For some reason repairing and rebuilding does not remove broken links. Or even report them. I found a few myself a few months ago when I was cleaning up my library that rebuilding didn't remove.

I'm just biding my time until Photos comes out so we can dump this software for good.

iPhoto is such a mess. I don't get it. I just don't get it.

I just wanted to look at the pictures I took earlier today. They should have been uploaded via PhotoStream and imported into my iPhoto library in the meantime.

Can't find them in the Events view. In fact, there's not a single picture from August in there. There's no "August 2014 PhotoStream" event either.
So I click on the PhotoStream item in the "Recent" section in the sidebar - but wait a minute! It's actually still "July 2014 PhotoStream". Uh-huh.
Next, the iCloud item. What's this anyway? Apparently a collection of all pictures I ever uploaded to PhotoStream? And why is it in the "Shared" section? I didn't share anything. Anyway, the pictures are here. But where are they in my library? Let's check the Photos view. Ooh, they're here as well! Labelled "August 2014 PhotoStream". Why can't I find this current PS nowhere else within the app? Is this even an Event? Then why isn't it in the Events view? Or is it a different kind of grouping that will become an Event when September comes? I have no fucking clue.

It's also fucking great how occasionally, some pictures will just not be uploaded to PhotoStream. So once in a while I manually import the "leftovers". Which means they're split up between the PhotoStream events and the normal per-day-events. I do not have a chronological list of my pictures. I have to jump back and forth between the normal events and the PhotoStream events. If I wanted to have an actually useful and complete list, I'd have to create a Smart Folder using a rule to simply include all pictures. Of course, in that case, I wouldn't be able to see when the pictures actually were taken at a glance. You know, like the folders in the Events view or the headers in the Photos view. No, I'd have to open the Info sidebar and look at the dates of every n-th picture to see where in time I am right now. Just amazing.

Come to think of, what's the difference between Events and Photos anyway? As I just mentioned, one uses folders, the other uses collapsible list sections. But otherwise? The pictures are the same. The events, or groups, or sections, are the same. What's the point?

Funny, the July 2014 PhotoStream item in the sidebar just changed. It's now called "15.07.2014" and indeed shows only the pictures taken on that day. Makes perfect sense.

Christ, what a mess.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Thankfully it'll be gone soon. Replaced by something built for a more modern time.

If only they'd do the same thing for iTunes instead of just rearranging the UI all the time. (The new UI in Yosemite's iTunes is the first time I've actually hated an iTunes redesign. So many stupid choices and unnecessary changes and it never remembers ANYTHING you set it at. Plus there's no way to add a comment to a track that doesn't have one yet unless you turn on that column in list view? WHAT?)

mrkgoo

When I used iPhoto I loved it. I thought it was the future - no more file management.

I'm sad to see it go but I haven't used it more recently having moved to aperture.

Thing is photostream is a mess. iPhoto isn't built for it properly. There's your personal photostream and shared photostreams and they only sync haphazardly. It makes me think of the dangers of having a primary cloud repository for your images.

For example i use shared photostreams in aperture but the way it does it is it creates folders to store them inside Te library. However, during rebuilds, it finds them as orphaned images that don't belong in the aperture library and dumps them to a separate project. What happens if you then delete them? Yup, since they are bei used by photostream, if you remove them from the "orphaned photos" project, it DELETES them from your shared photostream.

It's a mess.

I'd wager that iPhoto is what it is and that it's the shoehorning of the photostreams that messes things up. Especially since your photostream only uploads on wifi, it can be delayed and all sorts.

I still imagine if love iPhoto, but a rebuild ground up with iCloud in kind should do wonders, even if I still prefer to use an offline repository.

EmiPrime

iPhoto was great pre-iOS when you would plug in your dedicated digital cameras by USB and it would pull all your photos from that. It's completely inadequate and unfit for purpose (and has been for a long time) now that phone cameras are good and cloud uploading/syncing is the most important feature of any photo management system. The changes iOS8 and OS X 10.10 will bring are long overdue and super necessary.

Ambitious

In the meantime, I've learned that by disabling event titles in the Photos view (View -> Event Titles) the pictures will be displayed in chronological order.

Thankfully it'll be gone soon. Replaced by something built for a more modern time.

We'll see about that. My expectations for Photos.app are rock-bottom.
From what we've seen so far (which, granted, isn't much), it looks pretty barebones. Like an OSX port of the iOS app. I expect many features from iPhoto to be absent.

Deku Tree

In the meantime, I've learned that by disabling event titles in the Photos view (View -> Event Titles) the pictures will be displayed in chronological order.

We'll see about that. My expectations for Photos.app are rock-bottom.
From what we've seen so far (which, granted, isn't much), it looks pretty barebones. Like an OSX port of the iOS app. I expect many features from iPhoto to be absent.

No way. Apple knows that Photos is extremely important from a competitiveness point of view.

meow

I've been putting off installing Mavericks for a long time for possibly the dumbest reason ever (I like cats). But also because when it first came out, I read it was all buggy and stuff so updating wasn't necessary unless you really wanted one of the new features. Also installing iOS 7 on ipad 3 was the worst update decision ever so I've been skeptical about updating operating systems.

Now I wanted to try the Mailbox beta and it requires Mavericks. Is there any reason now to not upgrade?

Deku Tree

I've been putting off installing Mavericks for a long time for possibly the dumbest reason ever (I like cats). But also because when it first came out, I read it was all buggy and stuff so updating wasn't necessary unless you really wanted one of the new features. Also installing iOS 7 on ipad 3 was the worst update decision ever so I've been skeptical about updating operating systems.

Now I wanted to try the Mailbox beta and it requires Mavericks. Is there any reason now to not upgrade?

No reason at all. Upgrade.

GWX

If you don't like improved performance and battery life, don't upgrade!

just do it

Ambitious

meow
(Today, 08:17 PM)
image.php

Sorry, but I had to.

Xun

I've just upgraded to Mavericks, finally.

I'm curious though, is there anyway I can change how Safari displays bookmarks similar to how it was with Safari 5? My bookmarks being in a sidebar is doing my fucking head in.

Number45

I don't have my bookmarks shown in a sidebar, I have them all in the bookmarks bar and shown that at the top. Not sure how Safari 5 displayed them, so can't comment on that specifically.

fireside

I've just upgraded to Mavericks, finally.

I'm curious though, is there anyway I can change how Safari displays bookmarks similar to how it was with Safari 5? My bookmarks being in a sidebar is doing my fucking head in.

Is Bookmarks > Edit Bookmarks what you are looking for?

Top Bottom