• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Quick

Banned
Dark mode, so good. I didn't enable it on the Beta because some of my menubar icons looked really weird when it was enabled.

Anyone know a good dark Chrome theme to match?

Iacobellis

Thank you! Unfortunately didn't work, so I had to erase and reinstall Mavericks and am now waiting for my backup to restore. I'll try upgrading again tomorrow.

Hope it works out.

And wow. This is the first time I've ever had issues with legacy apps not working with a new OS. The culprit? EOS Utility. Thanks, Canon.

Quick

Banned
I did a clean install. Feels nice and fresh.

I was having issues with OS X on top of having the Yosemite Beta, and was waiting on the final Yosemite build to do a clean install.

Posted this on the last page but I will repost here. I'm waiting on a green light from you guys so I can just go do this thing.

A quick question.

If you want to do a clean install, can we just upgrade to Yosemite for now, and then use the reinstall option from the Disc Utility menu after?

Might be a noob question, but other than the fact that it takes longer, is there any other difference doing it?

ramyeon

Been trying to download this all day long on my Macbook Pro. iMac downloaded in an hour or two and was a breeze, but on my Macbook the download is taking forever. 4 and a half gigs downloaded now and it says 10 hours left. Ridiculous. It's even more annoying since I'm on the latest public beta GM candidate anyway but apparently I still need to download the whole 5gb install file.

Number45

Posted this on the last page but I will repost here. I'm waiting on a green light from you guys so I can just go do this thing.

A quick question.

If you want to do a clean install, can we just upgrade to Yosemite for now, and then use the reinstall option from the Disc Utility menu after?

Might be a noob question, but other than the fact that it takes longer, is there any other difference doing it?
The reinstall from disc option will be Mavericks without performing a clean install I'm pretty sure. Did the same after upgrading to the beta a while back, and the reinstall restored Mavericks. Did a full clean install of the beta and the restore then gave me Yosemite.

The reinstall from disc option will be Mavericks without performing a clean install I'm pretty sure. Did the same after upgrading to the beta a while back, and the reinstall restored Mavericks. Did a full clean install of the beta and the restore then gave me Yosemite.

I mean wouldn't it be same as this?

Erase your Mac, then reinstall OS X using the built-in recovery disk. Before you erase, back up your essential files. If you’re installing on a portable computer, make sure your power adapter is plugged in.

Important: To reinstall OS X, you must be connected to the Internet.
  • Choose Apple menu > Restart. Once your Mac restarts (and the gray screen appears), hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys.
  • If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu (in the top-right corner of the screen).
  • Select Disk Utility, then click Continue.
  • Select your startup disk on the left, then click the Erase tab.
  • Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format menu, enter a name, then click Erase.
  • After the disk is erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility.
  • Select Reinstall OS X, click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions.
  • Reinstall OS X

I'm having some weird issues regarding ITunes, Pages and Numbers updates. They update, install and then the update notification pop up again on app store. I've update it them and installing several times now but The notification keeps coming up. So annoying.

Is anyone getting a pop up that says "to view this web content you need to install the Java runtime environment"?

I'm not entirely sure what Java does. Do I even need Java?

Number45

I mean wouldn't it be same as this?

Erase your Mac, then reinstall OS X using the built-in recovery disk. Before you erase, back up your essential files. If you’re installing on a portable computer, make sure your power adapter is plugged in.

Important: To reinstall OS X, you must be connected to the Internet.
  • Choose Apple menu > Restart. Once your Mac restarts (and the gray screen appears), hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys.
  • If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu (in the top-right corner of the screen).
  • Select Disk Utility, then click Continue.
  • Select your startup disk on the left, then click the Erase tab.
  • Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format menu, enter a name, then click Erase.
  • After the disk is erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility.
  • Select Reinstall OS X, click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions.
  • Reinstall OS X
I can only talk from my experience, but when I did this after installing the Yosemite beta over Mavericks and running the restore from disc it actually reverted to Mountain Lion (which is what my Air was pre-installed with, and upgraded to Mavericks then Yosemite).

The only way I could get a restore to Mavericks was to clean install Mavericks, which then appears to change the restore partition. No reason to think that it will behave any differently for Yosemite.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Dark mode, so good. I didn't enable it on the Beta because some of my menubar icons looked really weird when it was enabled.

Anyone know a good dark Chrome theme to match?
I still have three stragglers that keep me from being able to turn it on. Hazel, which I paid $29 for so they'd better update it soon. PTH PasteBoard, which I paid $24 for so they'd better update it too. (Their requirements still say 10.5 or later and it's not even Retina yet.) And CrashPlan which I pay large amounts for and it isn't even Retina either. All of which are indispensable.

I just wish Dark Mode had stuck to its original promise of being a total UI change. The light window borders and backgrounds kind of don't go with the dark contrasted Dock and menubar. It almost makes me want to only use dark wallpapers though. I would like at least a dark Safari mode at the very least. It's one of a few apps I spend time in. I do have Sublime Text 3 though with a dark theme and it's great. And dark NeoGAF and ArsTechnica is nice. If only "dark mode" was a universal option all OS' had as a global setting and websites were designed to detect it and change accordingly. Dark mode for everyone would be sweet.

I've been using Graphite instead of the Blue setting for months now too.

Maximus.

I still have three stragglers that keep me from being able to turn it on. Hazel, which I paid $29 for so they'd better update it soon. PTH PasteBoard, which I paid $24 for so they'd better update it too. (Their requirements still say 10.5 or later and it's not even Retina yet.) And CrashPlan which I pay large amounts for and it isn't even Retina either. All of which are indispensable.

I just wish Dark Mode had stuck to its original promise of being a total UI change. The light window borders and backgrounds kind of don't go with the dark contrasted Dock and menubar. It almost makes me want to only use dark wallpapers though. I would like at least a dark Safari mode at the very least. It's one of a few apps I spend time in. I do have Sublime Text 3 though with a dark theme and it's great. And dark NeoGAF and ArsTechnica is nice. If only "dark mode" was a universal option all OS' had as a global setting and websites were designed to detect it and change accordingly. Dark mode for everyone would be sweet.

I've been using Graphite instead of the Blue setting for months now too.

Completely agree, was really excited when they previewed the whole OS going into dark mode, but then the beta only allowed for the menu and dock. Really thought with the final release, we would see a full dark mode. Wonder why they decided not to or what the hold up really is for everything to use it...

Maybe I should've done a clean install, because for the first time ever, my 2011 MBA is running like shit.

Literally freezing for minutes at a time, or just forever. I've had to hard shut down three times in one hour, two of the times just because I opened Safari. This is more than the usual indexing related chugs after a new update.

I don't even know how to test the Continuity features. Between iOS 8 and this, I'm super cynical about updating at all anymore.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Completely agree, was really excited when they previewed the whole OS going into dark mode, but then the beta only allowed for the menu and dock. Really thought with the final release, we would see a full dark mode. Wonder why they decided not to or what the hold up really is for everything to use it...
Apps can decide to use the setting for full UI if they want to. But who knows if in time it'll become something that happens. I wish Apple had enforced it or recommended it. Or at least offered it in their own apps.

And on iOS. Sometimes it just is better for the eyes.

They could even have a setting that toggles it on and off during the day and with the ambient brightness.

So much missed opportunity here.

Gila

Are all the people that are doing a clean install doing it because they had Yosemite Beta previously installed, and now it's just update after update? (My case at least)

This is my current update, and I'm pretty sure i'll have another one right after it's done. Should I just clean install too?

xI9rrda.png

Are all the people that are doing a clean install doing it because they had Yosemite Beta previously installed, and now it's just update after update? (My case at least)

This is my current update, and I'm pretty sure i'll have another one right after it's done. Should I just clean install too?

Unless you are experiencing problems, I wouldn't bother.
Or are you saying it's installing the same update over and over?

Chozolore

Left this installing last night, 27" iMac 2011, this morning it was stuck at a white screen with apple logo (half way through progress bar), powered off and on and it booted into Yosemite OK, should I be concerned?

nah, fuck it. more important things to worry about.

ramyeon

Left this installing last night, 27" iMac 2011, this morning it was stuck at a white screen with apple logo (half way through progress bar), powered off and on and it booted into Yosemite OK, should I be concerned?

nah, fuck it. more important things to worry about.
I just had the same thing happen on my 2010 MacBook Pro. I also force shut down and now I'm trying to start it up again.

Nice to see these super slow start ups arent any different on the public release. I have a feeling it's time to get a new computer :/

Quick

Banned

It updates through to Beta 6.

I just clean installed.

Ninja Dom

Were you on the Beta? I am on Public Beta 6 now. Right now I'm downloading the full Yosemite (5.16GB) from the Mac App Store. Then I'll make a USB Installer, like in my post above. Then I'll install the Final Yosemite over the top of my PB6. I won't be reformatting or anything first.

I'm currently about 10% complete of the download. Gonna prep my 8GB USB Stick now in Disk Utility. I'll let you know how it goes.

thenexus6

I am downloading now then making bootable USB for fresh install. Then redownload some apps, transfer files, setup time machine again. This takes an entire day almost every time.

Handoff is not working for me. I have a 2014 Macbook Air and an iPhone 5... Everything is turned on as well and they're on the same wifi network. What's wrong?

thenexus6

Anyone know if I can have two accounts on the mail app? My normal hotmail and gmail at once? I might go back to using it from airmail if I can for that nice new UI.

jts

...hate me...
Anyone know if I can have two accounts on the mail app? My normal hotmail and gmail at once? I might go back to using it from airmail if I can for that nice new UI.
You can have a thousand accounts in Mail.app, thenexus6 pls.

meppi

Just a dumb question.
I've been using OS X for about 8 years now and I've updated to the new version each time.

I'm using certain local software that I need for maintaining my website and all the scanning editing that I do, with all sorts of specific settings and stuff like that which I need.
If I update and certain software doesn't work, how easy is it to revert to OS X 10.9 again?

I do have a Time Capsule so that should make things really easy, right?

Blackhead

Redarse
Quick Preview of .gif files still isn't native? I keep getting this notice for Java and its no longer working:
edit: never mind, saw the linked Java update above
Any better workarounds/plugins for Quick Preview though? the gif one is quite broken.

Batch rename: Quickly rename a set of files in the Finder. Select the files and choose Rename. You can also add custom text and numbers to each filename.

Wait, this is a thing?!
Does this behave similarly to the batch rename that's been in Windows since Vista? The lack of this has been really annoying me on my work computer (mac) lately cause I've just gotten so used to using it in Windows Explorer for the last 6 years. Had several cases in the last month of "oh yeah, now I need to open this in terminal..."
WAIT, THIS is a thing?!

i always used automator for this o.o

Over the years I've obtained two apps, Renamer and Name Mangler, just for that functionality
pKQvs6n.gif

Doomboy

Neo Member
Tweetbot is looking pretty dated next to all these applications with the new Yosemite style.

Are there any native twitter clients updated for Yosemite available to use until Tapbots push out a design refresh?

I'm having some weird issues regarding ITunes, Pages and Numbers updates. They update, install and then the update notification pop up again on app store. I've update it them and installing several times now but The notification keeps coming up. So annoying.

Me too, did you do a clean install?

Fliesen

still can't get SMS nor calling via my iPhone to work, handoff works fine though.

macbook 13" retina Mac OS 10.10
iPhone 6 iOS 8.0.2

i got everything activated in:
iPhone -> settings -> general -> handoff
iPhone -> settings -> facetime -> "iPhone cellular calls"

Mac -> General -> "handoff"
Mac -> FaceTime.app -> "iPhone cellular calls"

i was able to do ONE call so far, but can't reproduce it, couldn't send a SMS yet.
restarted both devices already.

Top Bottom