• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Theonik

Is iWorks free for only newer mac models? I have a late 2011 macbook pro and the appstore still shows a price tag.

It is free for all Macs since Maverics provided they are new. I *think* you can check with making a new user account if that works.
Otherwise there is another way to get it on your Apple Account as long as you have Maverics.

jstripes

Banned
Anyone else has a message telling you that you need Java when you boot your mac?

Very annoying..

Do you have any software that launches on startup that needs Java?

Check this panel, and disable/delete anything that you know needs Java.

XvY6kyT.png

LCD Font Smoothing option gives ridiculously shit results on my Retina macbook pro, but even worse on my non-retina external screen.

The new menu icons (close, expand, ...) aren't even alligned properly on non-retina screens.

It's a shame that dark mode doesn't extend to the finder windows, kind of defeats the point.

thenexus6

You mean have it as a space to the left of your desktop? There's a setting for it in System Preferences -> Mission Control:

Dashboard is off by default, so it seems like it's not long for this world. I only used it for Delivery Status and that has an app with a Notification Centre widget now anyway, so I've killed it off.

I went into that, but when I swipe on the touchpad like on mavericks nothing happens, and I didn't see anything in touchpad settings for dashboard.

G5c9ezI.png

Fliesen

It is fun to be able to close tabs on other computers in Safari.

oh shit, that's amazing. I always hated the 10 tabs that are "open" on my iPhone

did option-clicking the notification pane icon always turn on DND mode? because that's pretty neat.

is there any fix yet for tabs, to make them go back to a fixed width? not new to yosemite, but glims isn't working anymore and that's what I've been using. guessing I just have to wait for that to update.

Loving the update. Mavericks always felt a bit sluggish on my mid 2012 Air and it used to drop wifi all the time.

Didn't even do a clean install for Yosemite and it's already performing better. Love the UI changes and handoff works fantastic with my iPhone.

When I select the graphite option for windows and then enter into full screen mode I notice that the window buttons (close, minimise etc) revert to their original multi-coloured option.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
You mean have it as a space to the left of your desktop? There's a setting for it in System Preferences -> Mission Control:

Dashboard is off by default, so it seems like it's not long for this world. I only used it for Delivery Status and that has an app with a Notification Centre widget now anyway, so I've killed it off.

nice! i manually had to kill it in Mavericks, good to know i can just turn it off now

Put me in the category with users who aren't getting Handoff to work at all. I can make phone calls using my iPhone 6 from my Mac, and AirDrop works great in both directions, but Handoff doesn't seem to be working. I can't open a Handoff compatible app on any of my devices, and get then response on the others that I should. Disappointed, as all of MacBook Pro and iPhone 6 meet the required specs for sure.

empyrean

It is free for all Macs since Maverics provided they are new. I *think* you can check with making a new user account if that works.
Otherwise there is another way to get it on your Apple Account as long as you have Maverics.

don't want to get anyone in trouble...but any chance anyone can point me in the direction, got a 2010 mbp here and bought numbers but don't have pages :(

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
How does this run compared to Mavericks? How about on 2009 Core2Duo Macbook pros? Mavericks hasn't been the smoothest OS on my laptop. If Yosemite improves things I'll update.

Dabanton

How does this run compared to Mavericks? How about on 2009 Core2Duo Macbook pros? Mavericks hasn't been the smoothest OS on my laptop. If Yosemite improves things I'll update.

I have a late 2009 Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro

I installed it yesterday, and Yosemite is running fine so far feels a lot more smooth. I have recently installed 8 gig of memory and a hybrid SSD drive in my laptop so don't know how it would run on a 4gig memory setup.

5gb is a large file for a skin update. I'm not seeing many other benefits yet but nevertheless it is nice to have a fresh layout.

I think it might be zippier as well but maybe not...

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Loving it so far. The feature that surprised me the most aside from handoff is iOS screen recording using Quicktime. I work in a startup mobile game publishing company and often find myself struggling to capture footage for games in development so this will help tremendously. Is there something as simple as this for Android devices?

It's fun to mess around with. I full screened my iPhone 6 on my TV, opened the camera and recorded this trippy little video: http://instagram.com/p/uQivYvRaS0/

JonCha

I have a late 2009 Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro

I installed it yesterday, and Yosemite is running fine so far feels a lot more smooth. I have recently installed 8 gig of memory and a hybrid SSD drive in my laptop so don't know how it would run on a 4gig memory setup.

How are SSD drives? Do they make a big difference? I've got a Intel Core 2 Duo mid-09 Pro with a 160GB hard drive and 4GB of ram here, so pretty similar models.

On the OS, I had a ton of slow down and hangups initially but now it seems to be running pretty well. Safari is strangely much better while Chrome isn't doing so well at the moment.

Dabanton

How are SSD drives? Do they make a big difference? I've got a Intel Core 2 Duo mid-09 Pro with a 160GB hard drive and 4GB of ram here, so pretty similar models.

On the OS, I had a ton of slow down and hangups initially but now it seems to be running pretty well. Safari is strangely much better while Chrome isn't doing so well at the moment.

My one is a 1tb hybrid drive with 8 gigs SSD and it's working amazingly well so far. 12 secs to open adobe creative suite programs and 2 secs to open cinema4D it's a godsend to me especially when I'm not near my home setup. Before my upgrade my machine was just about coping with those programs.

I'll probably go full SSD at some point next year.

I've decided I'm gunna do a clean install for Yosemite. What's the best guide to use for that? I've seen quite a few but was wondering if anyone on here had used one for a clean install. Thanks! :)

jstripes

Banned
safari seems zippier.

anyone know why I have two versions of garageband now? should i do anything about it?

Some people like the old version of GarageBand because of the Podcast preset. Apple made an exception and kept it around for that reason.

If you don't favour the old version, just delete it.

Worked for me for a day, now I have the grey screen of death. PRAM reset nor safe mode(won't load) are doing anything. 2010 15in. macbook pro.

Deku Tree

oh shit, that's amazing. I always hated the 10 tabs that are "open" on my iPhone

did option-clicking the notification pane icon always turn on DND mode? because that's pretty neat.

No I think it is new. At least I don't remember using it before.

parasight

So I have both Bluetooth and WiFi on for both devices and for some reason I can't get handoff to work. Followed a bunch of sites explaining how to set it up. The Handoff stuff doesn't show on either my phone or Mac.

Goldenhen

So I have both Bluetooth and WiFi on for both devices and for some reason I can't get handoff to work. Followed a bunch of sites explaining how to set it up. The Handoff stuff doesn't show on either my phone or Mac.

I'm waiting for iOS 8.1 come out and might fix the problem.

I'm in the same situation as you.

Ninja Dom

Loving it so far. The feature that surprised me the most aside from handoff is iOS screen recording using Quicktime. I work in a startup mobile game publishing company and often find myself struggling to capture footage for games in development so this will help tremendously. Is there something as simple as this for Android devices?

It's fun to mess around with. I full screened my iPhone 6 on my TV, opened the camera and recorded this trippy little video: http://instagram.com/p/uQivYvRaS0/

iOS Screen Recording? I've never heard of that. How do you do it?

jstripes

Banned

Which model Mac and iPhone do you have?

They both have to support Bluetooth LE for it to work. (My 2011 MBP doesn't.)

RevoDS

Which model Mac and iPhone do you have?

They both have to support Bluetooth LE for it to work. (My 2011 MBP doesn't.)
This, but also sometimes the feature isn't enabled by default. Make sure it's checked in General settings for both your Mac and phone (I think it'll be grayed out if your Mac doesn't support it so you should know that way)

Edit:Same network as well? Also try turning it off and on, that did the trick for me on earlier betas

Ambitious

Same here.
Both devices support BLE, Handoff is enabled and I also tried restarting.

I want to upgrade but I need to know something first.

I am still rocking Snow Leopard. It's a solid OS. When Lion was released in 2011, I bought it and installed it. It didn't take long for me to regret it. They made some slight changes to how navigation worked that severely irked me. One such change was the four-finger swipe-to-desktop fingerpad movement. In Snow Leopard, the user can use his four fingers to do a vertical swipe that either reveals the desktop or brings to his attention every opened program depending on the direction of the swipe (either up or down). In Lion, that feature was still there, but the finger gesture the user needed to do to access it was different and could not be changed. It was a super weird and awkward "pincer" move that required all four fingers and the thumb. It was practically impossible to do and as I said, could not be changed. That simple change, along with some others which I forget, prompted me to reformat my drive and reinstall Snow Leopard.

So what I want to know is this: does Yosemite revert back to the simple vertical four-finger swipe to access the desktop or does it at least permit the user to change the gesture required to access the feature ?

Because if not: fuck Yosemite.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
iOS Screen Recording? I've never heard of that. How do you do it?
1) Plug in your iOS device and open QuickTime.
2) Click File and select 'New Movie Recording'.
3) Click the little arrow on the right side of the record button and select your iOS device's name in both the Camera and Microphone settings.

Your iOS device should pop up on the screen ready to record. I have my rMBP connected to my TV via HDMI so when you full screen the feed its pretty similar to AirPlay mirroring. YouTube videos are only viewable in portrait mode though, sadly. There's a tiny bit of lag which I hope gets sorted out eventually but it's a pretty painless experience so far.

ckohler

Can anyone with Yosimite installed please check if iMovie '11 works? It's an older version but I prefer it to the current one available. The actual app is version 9.0.9 but the name of the app is "iMovie '11".

Thanks.

jstripes

Banned
I want to upgrade but I need to know something first.

I am still rocking Snow Leopard. It's a solid OS. When Lion was released in 2011, I bought it and installed it. It didn't take long for me to regret it. They made some slight changes to how navigation worked that severely irked me. One such change was the four-finger swipe-to-desktop fingerpad movement. In Snow Leopard, the user can use his four fingers to do a vertical swipe that either reveals the desktop or brings to his attention every opened program depending on the direction of the swipe (either up or down). In Lion, that feature was still there, but the finger gesture the user needed to do to access it was different and could not be changed. It was a super weird and awkward "pincer" move that required all four fingers and the thumb. It was practically impossible to do and as I said, could not be changed. That simple change, along with some others which I forget, prompted me to reformat my drive and reinstall Snow Leopard.

So what I want to know is this: does Yosemite revert back to the simple vertical four-finger swipe to access the desktop or does it at least permit the user to change the gesture required to access the feature ?

Because if not: fuck Yosemite.

I'm sure BetterTouchTool would let you bring that back.

Can someone test if dragging a page from one PDF into another PDF using Preview works? Every time I try, the dragged page doesn't actually show up in the PDF.

I just installed it on a Late 2007 MBP I've upgraded over the years (6GB RAM, SSD) and so far it's running better than Mavericks. Faster startup and shutdown times, safari is faster, iTunes particularly is much faster. Also, and this might be placebo, but things like spotlight indexing don't seem to slow it down as much.

On the flipside, the increased graphics intensity of the transparencies make switching spaces a bit choppy, and the non-retina display can make some of the UI look a bit blurry. But I like it so far. However, an SSD is practically a requirement at this point.

Only compatibility issues I've had so far is that Chrome will not re-open my tabs after the close the app, and SteelSeries engine (I have a Sensei Raw) doesn't recognize the mouse at all. It still works as a regular 2 button mouse though.

Pastry

Banned
Is Safari going super slow for anyone else? It was working great for me before I updated but now it takes forever to load pages.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really like the visual design of this OS.

I loved the previous look, too, so I was a bit worried about the change, but I've quickly become used to it.

parasight

This, but also sometimes the feature isn't enabled by default. Make sure it's checked in General settings for both your Mac and phone (I think it'll be grayed out if your Mac doesn't support it so you should know that way)

Edit:Same network as well? Also try turning it off and on, that did the trick for me on earlier betas

Same network. Tried the turn off and on. Both my devices are capable of running Handoff. Retina 2013 MB and iPhone 5S.

Guess I just wait for 8.1 or something.

Top Bottom