• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Deleted my Yosemite beta partition.

Disk Utility won't let me combine the now free space to my main partition.

Did a CMD+R boot. Shows as "Free Space." Can't use the subtraction sign to remove it. I formatted... it doesn't do anything. Nothing I can do to get rid of this "free space" 50 gig partition. It's the "bottom" partition. Shouldn't be a problem, but I'm at a loss for what to do.

Any ideas? I hate having to do it, but I'm thinking I might end up making a Genius Bar appointment. Ugh.

Could either be a limitation of the GUI Disk Utility, or because you're booted from a volume on the disk you're messing with.

You can try to use the command line diskutil while booted from the recovery partition, or either from another disk (such as a USB drive clone of your system, or a USB stick with a clean OS X install).

Number45

Are all the people that are doing a clean install doing it because they had Yosemite Beta previously installed, and now it's just update after update? (My case at least)

This is my current update, and I'm pretty sure i'll have another one right after it's done. Should I just clean install too?
I just can't get over my Windows background of never upgrading if at all possible. Do the same for my iPhone/iPad when a new version comes out (upgrade then factory reset).

I'm all setup so that I can trash my devices without any real affect on data, so it's not much fuss.

giga

still can't get SMS nor calling via my iPhone to work, handoff works fine though.

macbook 13" retina Mac OS 10.10
iPhone 6 iOS 8.0.2

i got everything activated in:
iPhone -> settings -> general -> handoff
iPhone -> settings -> facetime -> "iPhone cellular calls"

Mac -> General -> "handoff"
Mac -> FaceTime.app -> "iPhone cellular calls"

i was able to do ONE call so far, but can't reproduce it, couldn't send a SMS yet.
restarted both devices already.
Maybe I should put this in the op: SMS requires 8.1.

Fliesen

still can't get SMS nor calling via my iPhone to work, handoff works fine though.

macbook 13" retina Mac OS 10.10
iPhone 6 iOS 8.0.2

i got everything activated in:
iPhone -> settings -> general -> handoff
iPhone -> settings -> facetime -> "iPhone cellular calls"

Mac -> General -> "handoff"
Mac -> FaceTime.app -> "iPhone cellular calls"

i was able to do ONE call so far, but can't reproduce it, couldn't send a SMS yet.
restarted both devices already.

ok, silly me - SMS relay won't happen until iOS 8.1 (which will be released on monday)
(EDIT: beaten)

also, i signed out of my AppleID in facetime on the mac and the phone and after signing back it it works incredibly well.

Majine

Banned
I wish Safari would reload pages by swiping up when at the top of the page. Since swiping left and right means going back and forward through your browsing history, that one seems like an obvious one.

Fliesen

I wish Safari would reload pages by swiping up when at the top of the page. Since swiping left and right means going back and forward through your browsing history, that one seems like an obvious one.

i feel like that'd result in far too many accidental reloads of pages. "pull to refresh" is something that's standard in the context of scrolling lists (that have the most recent content on top) - webpages work differently.

iOS feels better because photos go into your photos. Documents are where they should be. Apps know where to look for things.

you clearly don't do any work on your iOS/Mac. Having all project files, pictures, textfiles, spreadsheets and templates in one folder is quite important. Having to hunt for resource files (all randomly named) and zipping up projects would be a nightmare between all different programs and locations.

How would you even organize a website's contents if all files would be in pre-determined "apple locations"?

Majine

Banned
i feel like that'd result in far too many accidental reloads of pages. "pull to refresh" is something that's standard in the context of scrolling lists (that have the most recent content on top) - webpages work differently.

With the right amount of force required and good visual feedback before you actually reload the page, I think it could work.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I let Yosemite install while I slept last night. Some of the visual stuff is nice, but as someone who doesn't use iOS or Safari, Mail, Calendar, or most of the other Apple apps, this update seems to pretty much be a coat of paint for me.

Ambitious

Finally got my iDevices to show up in the Bluetooth devices list. Of course, Handoff still doesn't work. It's not like I expected it to actually work anyway.

If I update to Yosemite is my iPhone 4 defunct in regards to communication?

I don't share documents between the two, but I use calendar and contacts so do they keep transferring between the mac and iPhone?

Doomboy

Neo Member
Controversial opinion: TweetBot never looked that good in the first place.

Ha, yeah fair enough.

Surprised that there don't seem to be any updated Twitter clients out at all, not even Twitterrific, which is generally pretty speedy. I guess we'll only be kept waiting a few days in reality though (and I bet the MAS's lengthy review time is more to blame than anything).

leng jai

Seriously is there any way to stop music videos from shopping up in the music section in iTunes 12? What's the point of having a Music Video section if they show up in the normal Music section and make everything look messy as hell?

Get'sMad

anyone getting iTunes 12.0.1 showing up in the app store updates and it downloads, says update, then will "install" but then reverts to saying "update" again? it just stays there in the app store update and never actually updates iTunes because it still says I'm on 12.0.0. when I open it.

DoubleYou

I let Yosemite install while I slept last night. Some of the visual stuff is nice, but as someone who doesn't use iOS or Safari, Mail, Calendar, or most of the other Apple apps, this update seems to pretty much be a coat of paint for me.

The big thing about this OS is mostly the iOS / OSX integration. So to me that is a huge thing but I understand why for some people it's just a coat of paint.

Blackhead

Redarse
The new Mail looks nice enough. It has most of the features I want (minus swipe to delete) and less complexity or visual clutter, so I can finally stop using Airmail.

However, I've tried using the new Safari but I missed my Chrome extensions (Video Blocker, 4chan X) so I'm not ready to switch yet.

I'm still using Sparrow :| It has the best search features even though yahoo and microsoft mail authentication keeps crapping out :(

thenexus6

Installed, looks very nice. Kinda annoying you can't swipe and have dashboard open like on Mavericks.. Just getting used to everything now. For some reason Safari isn't autofilling all my passwords..

btkadams

ok, silly me - SMS relay won't happen until iOS 8.1 (which will be released on monday)
(EDIT: beaten)

also, i signed out of my AppleID in facetime on the mac and the phone and after signing back it it works incredibly well.

glad i came to gaf! i was just wondering why sms wasn't working and went to this thread.

The new Mail looks nice enough. It has most of the features I want (minus swipe to delete) and less complexity or visual clutter, so I can finally stop using Airmail.

However, I've tried using the new Safari but I missed my Chrome extensions (Video Blocker, 4chan X, Dark Skin for YouTube) so I'm not ready to switch yet.

Dude, if you have a MacBook, you have to use Safari just because of battery life. Chrome wastes so much battery life.

I can only talk from my experience, but when I did this after installing the Yosemite beta over Mavericks and running the restore from disc it actually reverted to Mountain Lion (which is what my Air was pre-installed with, and upgraded to Mavericks then Yosemite).

The only way I could get a restore to Mavericks was to clean install Mavericks, which then appears to change the restore partition. No reason to think that it will behave any differently for Yosemite.

I think you are right. When you do the erase and reinstall option, the Mac usually just downloads and installs the version of OSX that it shipped with.

I can't talk how a clean install would change that. Well either way I guess I'm better of performing a clean install of Yosemite rather than erase and reinstall from the default options.

Couleurs

My OX Yosemite download file is corrupt. How do I delete it and start the download over?

It should be in the applications folder. I had the same problem (corrupted download file that wouldn't install), so I deleted it and tried to download again but apparently can't. When I try I instantly get a pop up saying download failed, with a generic message saying "an error has occurred". I figured maybe apple was getting slammed so i tried again this morning and same thing.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Holy shit i got scared for a moment, Matlab 2014a wouldnt open in yosemite and i absolutely need it for upcoming labs. Thank god someone made a patch. Mathworks' official response to this issue? "If you see the requirements for 2014a, yosemite is not included, but if you upgrade to 2014b then its ok". Mathworks beaten to make 2014a work in yosemite by some random guy -_-

thenexus6

So safari isn't filling in any of my passwords, keychain is telling me to enter a code then i'm sent a SMS and have to enter that SMS code but its coming up with invalid each time..

VPhys

It should be in the applications folder. I had the same problem (corrupted download file that wouldn't install), so I deleted it and tried to download again but apparently can't. When I try I instantly get a pop up saying download failed, with a generic message saying "an error has occurred". I figured maybe apple was getting slammed so i tried again this morning and same thing.

Ugh. So I just tried the same thing and now when I go to the app store it just says "downloaded."

I must be cursed with these updates. Every update I have to take my computer to the apple store to get it installed. Macs are supposed to have the most seamless OS update process.

sirap

You shouldn't use Airmail anyway, now that there's an Airmail 2. Slightly pissed that I have to pay again, but eh, the new one looks pretty good.

Ninja Dom

My girlfriend had exactly this when it came to downloading Public Beta 4. "An error has occurred.". I couldn't find a way to fix it. So she just waited until Public Beta 5 became available and downloaded and installed that successfully.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Kind of sloppy that go to current song and show downloads are both still tied to cmd+L in this version of iTunes, I thought they'd have fixed that in the final release.

By the way, this made me remember that I still have Feedback Assistant in my applications from the beta. I assume there's no point in keeping it installed anymore?

NekoFever

Kinda annoying you can't swipe and have dashboard open like on Mavericks..

You mean have it as a space to the left of your desktop? There's a setting for it in System Preferences -> Mission Control:

dashboard-disable@2x.png

Dashboard is off by default, so it seems like it's not long for this world. I only used it for Delivery Status and that has an app with a Notification Centre widget now anyway, so I've killed it off.

Top Bottom