• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Handoff and Instant Hotspot
Handoff and Instant Hotspot are supported by the following Mac models, and require OS X Yosemite.

MacBook Air (Mid 2012 and later)
MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 and later)
iMac (Late 2012 and later)
Mac mini (Late 2012 and later)
Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Phone 5 or later
iPhone 4s (sharing iPhone calls only)
iPad (4th generation), iPad Air, iPad Air 2
iPad mini, iPad mini with Retina display, iPad mini 3
iPod touch (5th generation)
Handoff works with an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with a Lightning connector and iOS 8.
Instant Hotspot works with an iPhone or iPad with cellular connectivity with a Lightning connector and iOS 8.1. Instant Hotspot requires Personal Hotspot service through your carrier.

Iacobellis

Handoff and Instant Hotspot are supported by the following Mac models, and require OS X Yosemite.

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Phone 5 or later
Handoff works with an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with a Lightning connector and iOS 8.
Instant Hotspot works with an iPhone or iPad with cellular connectivity with a Lightning connector and iOS 8.1. Instant Hotspot requires Personal Hotspot service through your carrier.

Ugh... why do we have to wait until Monday for SMS?

I'm installing Yosemite and it's been saying "One minute left" for 10+ minutes and nothing happens.

Well, fuck you Apple for lying to your customers

Anion

I tried it earlier and it said it was fine, I'm doing it again and it says that disk utility can't repair this disk. -__-

Dang this made me remember the horror I got when I had a similar problem a few months ago...after multiple os downloads I finally did a ram test. It turned out my 16 gb Corsair ram went bad. I never thought it would be the ram until I pretty much tried everything.

My advise, save your stuff before you need to do some technical things to retrieve your data

Here's some help for all you guys trying for a clean install.

How to perform a clean install of OSX Yosemite

install-yosemite-main-100474617-large.jpg

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Phone 5 or later

My 2011 MBP feels completely unloved right now.

dalVlatko

Don't really like the look of it but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Safari is very good though.

Seems like it has fixed the WiFi drops I've been having for a while one my 2012 Macbook Air.

Rest in Peace, Lucida Grande. You'll be missed.

So... why does Dashboard still exist? I shouldn't have to disable it to free up resources at this point.

Especially now that weather is in the Notification Center. For years, I used Dashboard solely for the weather widget. Amazing that it's hung around this long.

Fuchsdh

Who uses istat menus? worth while to upgrade to 5.0?

Dunno about upgrade, besides support for Dark Mode and something that looks a bit more appropriate with the new aesthetic... but iStat is awesome. Use it to keep an eye on my fan speeds and temps, mostly, but it's also useful for seeing when I should purge my memory or if I'm actually using all my threads for intensive tasks.

I've read on Reddit that you could see the files being moved by the installer if you pressed CTRL + L so I did that. The cursor channged into a spinning circle for 10 minutes then a console appeared.

Apparently my Mac is moving a lot of TeX Live files.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Login still takes way too long imo, but boot time is thankfully fixed. It was atrocious on PB6 but it's back to Mavericks level on the final release (mid-2011 Air).

Dunno about upgrade, besides support for Dark Mode and something that looks a bit more appropriate with the new aesthetic... but iStat is awesome. Use it to keep an eye on my fan speeds and temps, mostly, but it's also useful for seeing when I should purge my memory or if I'm actually using all my threads for intensive tasks.

i'm on the last version feeling a cheap ass to pay 10 bucks for the update.

Had the OS freeze up and act weird and had to do a restart, which got messed up because a FaceTime call happened right as it did it, which triggered a "Update Needed" instead of my user icon.

Seems to work fine now, although because I turned on FileVault things are still a little laggy until it gets done doing it on my 1TB drive in about 22 more hours.

UI is really bright now, guess I'll need to get used to it.

At least they finally fixed the mouse lag when scrolling in App Store.

I've read on Reddit that you could see the files being moved by the installer if you pressed CTRL + L so I did that. The cursor channged into a spinning circle for 10 minutes then a console appeared.

Apparently my Mac is moving a lot of TeX Live files.

it's rebuilding the partition so it takes longer on larger partitions

New safari is fucking quick the pinch to see all tabs on all devices is super quick god damn i can get used to this

ijm72

Is anybody having issues with AirDrop? I can send files from my mac to my iPhone but not the other way around.

aparisi2274

Installed Yosemite. It looks nice, but my 2009 iMac is crawling, and I found out I can't even use that new 'Handoff' feature because my iMac is to old.

Looks like I gotta update soon, and it'll be to a standard 27" iMac

Servbot24

Banned
Installed Yosemite. It looks nice, but my 2009 iMac is crawling, and I found out I can't even use that new 'Handoff' feature because my iMac is to old.

Really? Dang, didn't know this.

Oh well, still a free upgrade. Saving up for the Broadwell iMac.

Koodo

Banned
The continuity features require bluetooth? Thought it would work just through being on the same wifi network.

hmm, you have a sata hdd? I got a mbp 2009ish so kinda wondering how well it runs on the old stuff compared to mavericks since that makes my computer crawl during certain tasks

Is anybody having issues with AirDrop? I can send files from my mac to my iPhone but not the other way around.

You gotta have the Airdrop folder open on your Mac otherwise the phone wont find your computer. Also make sure Bluetooth is enabled on both.

aparisi2274

hmm, you have a sata hdd? I got a mbp 2009ish so kinda wondering how well it runs on the old stuff compared to mavericks since that makes my computer crawl during certain tasks

Yeah a std sata drive. I know your mbp will not work with handoff either. Same goes for 3rd gen iPad and earlier. You need 4th gen

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
New safari is lovely. I like this clean looking OS.

ijm72

You gotta have the Airdrop folder open on your Mac otherwise the phone wont find your computer. Also make sure Bluetooth is enabled on both.

I have the folder open and my phone shows up in the folder if I drop a file in the folder it will send it to my phone. When I click on a photo on my phone and click the share button I don't see the option to send it using airdrop.

aparisi2274

I have the folder open and my phone shows up in the folder if I drop a file in the folder it will send it to my phone. When I click on a photo on my phone and click the share button I don't see the option to send it using airdrop.

Seems you need a 2012 mac or later for this new airdrop to work... oh well, another reason to update.

So how does the text messages on OS X thing work? You have to get one first on the phone post-update and it does it?

Also, anyone know if the call forwarding works if you have Wifi calling enabled?

ijm72

Seems you need a 2012 mac or later for this new airdrop to work... oh well, another reason to update.

I have a 2013 rMBP so that is not the issue. I am going to restart the devices to see if that makes a difference.

Edit: A quick search shows that other users are also having this issue.

Top Bottom