• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Okay so I have wifi on, bluetooth on and an iPhone 5 + Macbook Air 2014 and handoff is just not working. I'm testing it with safari on my iPhone and there's just nothing to see on my macbook.

Chuckpebble

1) Plug in your iOS device and open QuickTime.
2) Click File and select 'New Movie Recording'.
3) Click the little arrow on the right side of the record button and select your iOS device's name in both the Camera and Microphone settings.

Your iOS device should pop up on the screen ready to record. I have my rMBP connected to my TV via HDMI so when you full screen the feed its pretty similar to AirPlay mirroring. YouTube videos are only viewable in portrait mode though, sadly. There's a tiny bit of lag which I hope gets sorted out eventually but it's a pretty painless experience so far.

Lag is acceptable for me. Have you played around with it much? Are there frame drops? How's the compression look? Filesize/length of video?

Sorry to grill you, but this is the one feature I am most interested in.

RevoDS

Same network. Tried the turn off and on. Both my devices are capable of running Handoff. Retina 2013 MB and iPhone 5S.

Guess I just wait for 8.1 or something.

Have you also tried actually pairing the devices over Bluetooth? You shouldn't need to but some have reported that even though the pairing fails, it sometimes forces the two devices to "see" each other.

If you already tried, that's all I have, sorry. I had similar problems on Beta 2 and I tried all that with no success, but it magically started working after updating to Beta 3 and I haven't had any issues since.

Hope 8.1 will indeed fix it for you!

I'm not seeing my iPhone 5S as an Instant Hotspot in my wifi dropdown menu. Wifi and bluetooth are on for all my devices, and my iPad can detect the Instant Hotspot without a problem. Anyone having success getting it to work?

I'm using a 2012 MB Air. Other continuity and handoff features are working fine.

I know this isn't the most critical error, since I can always turn Personal Hotspot on manually on my phone, but nonetheless I'd like to get it working.

Anjelus_

Mac newb question once again!

Since I got this Macbook Air 1.5 weeks ago, I've enjoyed my battery life of 15, 16 hours to great effect.

Since upgrading to Yosemite, I charged the iPad to full and this morning it said "4 hours remaining" from 100%. I was not pleased!

Right now it's at 95% and it's saying "9 hours remaining."

Is it recalibrating the battery life or some such? I'm a little paranoid because I remember how my iPhone 5's battery took a massive dive after iOS 7.

Arcteryx

Pretty odd, but I'm not getting that level of transparency either in my Finder(only the sidebar is transparent, while the "top" remains opaque).

RevoDS

Mac newb question once again!

Since I got this Macbook Air 1.5 weeks ago, I've enjoyed my battery life of 15, 16 hours to great effect.

Since upgrading to Yosemite, I charged the iPad to full and this morning it said "4 hours remaining" from 100%. I was not pleased!

Right now it's at 95% and it's saying "9 hours remaining."

Is it recalibrating the battery life or some such? I'm a little paranoid because I remember how my iPhone 5's battery took a massive dive after iOS 7.

Spotlight indexing and eating up CPU cycles/battery.

It's temporary and will last a few hours, after that you should be getting back your battery life.

Flo_Evans

Not really liking the UI graphics. Everything looks so cheap. Its like a linux shell or something.

1pt lines for everything just feels cheap. Then you have some icons that are kinda 3d illustrated with gradients. Then you have the mail icon that is still a fucking postage stamp.

pronk420

so it seems like for some apps when you have a widget in notification centre, it will launch the corresponding app every time you open notification centre?

things is definitely doing that, if i close it and then open notification centre, suddenly things is running. is that just a things thing or does everything do that?

ijm72

Anyone having trouble doing AirDrop from iPhone to Mac? I can do it from Mac to iPhone but my iPhone won't see my Mac.
I'm having the same issue. I tried restarting both devices but it did not fix the issue so I am not really sure what to do to fix it. I did some searching and found that other people are reporting the same problem.

jstripes

Banned
Not really liking the UI graphics. Everything looks so cheap. Its like a linux shell or something.

1pt lines for everything just feels cheap. Then you have some icons that are kinda 3d illustrated with gradients. Then you have the mail icon that is still a fucking postage stamp.

The redesign was a bit off-putting when I first used it, because we've been using the old one for so long, but I quickly got used to it and the old UI looks kinda gross now.

lachesis

Well, I just updated mid 2011 MBP. Came from snow leopard, then finally updated to Maverick a couple of months ago, and now Yosemite.

I don't have other apple product at home (no iphone, no apple TV) - so I'm not too into new features - but I was getting really really too tired of whole OSX look.

Not that I'm totally into this new look - but still something different to look at is nice. :) I also don't really notice much of speed/battery difference from Maverick either - but I basically use the machine as a glorified netbook, so I'm not too concerned.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I just installed it on a Late 2007 MBP I've upgraded over the years (6GB RAM, SSD) and so far it's running better than Mavericks. Faster startup and shutdown times, safari is faster, iTunes particularly is much faster. Also, and this might be placebo, but things like spotlight indexing don't seem to slow it down as much.

On the flipside, the increased graphics intensity of the transparencies make switching spaces a bit choppy, and the non-retina display can make some of the UI look a bit blurry. But I like it so far. However, an SSD is practically a requirement at this point.

Only compatibility issues I've had so far is that Chrome will not re-open my tabs after the close the app, and SteelSeries engine (I have a Sensei Raw) doesn't recognize the mouse at all. It still works as a regular 2 button mouse though.

Hmm, I only have 4GB of RAM and a regular ol' HDD. Thats good news though.

RevoDS

Is the default zoom / font size (I'm not sure which one it is) on Safari seeming way too fucking big for anyone else?
I'm getting that sometimes (but it's relatively rare), but clicking View > Real size in the menubar seems to fix it for me. Pretty sure it's an unfixed bug in Safari.

Flo_Evans

The redesign was a bit off-putting when I first used it, because we've been using the old one for so long, but I quickly got used to it and the old UI looks kinda gross now.

Well you can get used to anything :p

It just looks like a 1st year design student made it. From the font to the icons.

They say they made it more consistent but IMHO its all over the place now.

I'm having the same issue. I tried restarting both devices but it did not fix the issue so I am not really sure what to do to fix it. I did some searching and found that other people are reporting the same problem.

Me too - running a 2014 MBP Retina and an (fully updated) iPhone 5. I've tried messing with all of the settings, but my iPhone is just not visible for airdrop (or wireless itunes sync, it would seem).

Also, I use Things 2 (a project manager app). Just had an update that is supposed to include an extension for notification centre, but it's not showing up?

Goldenhen

I'm not seeing my iPhone 5S as an Instant Hotspot in my wifi dropdown menu. Wifi and bluetooth are on for all my devices, and my iPad can detect the Instant Hotspot without a problem. Anyone having success getting it to work?

I'm using a 2012 MB Air. Other continuity and handoff features are working fine.

I know this isn't the most critical error, since I can always turn Personal Hotspot on manually on my phone, but nonetheless I'd like to get it working.
The instant hotspot feature only available in iOS 8.1 which is coming on 20th.

I got Handoff working between my Mac and iPhone 6 finally. I'm not sure what exactly did it, but I signed out of iCloud on both devices, then signed back in, which didn't immediately seem to have much of an effect. I also reset my WiFi router, and all of a sudden it is working. It is not working on my iPad 3 yet, but I haven't tried the sign-in/sign-out option for iCloud on that device. Just happy to have it working on my Mac and iPhone.

Vire

One thing I notice with Safari that's really annoying is that when you make a new tab for a google search it seemingly takes forever.

Am I the only one?

Pretty odd, but I'm not getting that level of transparency either in my Finder(only the sidebar is transparent, while the "top" remains opaque).

I feel like they totally reduced it for the final release. It looks a lot more translucent in the official screenshots, guess they didnt update those.

I tried the Safari thing for a day but I just ended up going back to Chrome. It doesn't look too out of place with the Yosemite theme installed.

Sch1sm

thank god for university internet. What would've taken me 5 hours at home took me like 40 minutes here :)

This. I can agree with this
but I really dislike the look of this OS. It's making it too difficult to hide what sites I frequent. God.

Oppo

So far I'm overall disappointed with the look. Some small bits I like, like the dark mode and the representation of some very small type/progress bars, but the overhaul feels feeble to me. Like a knockoff. Lacking contrast and focus. It's just... weak. Even the new Mac OS icon is weak. There's a lot to like functionally and performance-wise, but the new look... thumbs down from me so far.

The sidebar shows what's underneath the window, the menu bar shows what's underneath the menu bar and inside that window.

Open a folder of images in icon view, then scroll down.

EDIT: I've just discovered a possible bug - Can anyone download programmes on the BBC iPlayer any more? No matter where I set the download folder, it always tells me that I don't have the necessary permissions (it worked before I updated to Yosemite)

Vire

Just in case you are wondering since this was pissing me off to no end.

To remove the recently added bar in iTunes 12:

View -> Show Options -> Uncheck Show Recently Added

Just in case you are wondering since this was pissing me off to no end.

To remove the recently added bar in iTunes 12:

View -> Show Options -> Uncheck Show Recently Added

Have they removed the button to convert the itunes window to miniplayer again, or is it just me?

Why Apple?? The extra button on the right hand top corner was fine. Bravo.

mil6es

Ok how do you get Hand over to work, I'm running a Late-2012 Mac Mini and iP6 and I'm getting noting, bluetooth is on on both devices??

Top Bottom