• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Anion

For those of you who are scared and have a 2011 early MBP 15"
It runs well enough after the indexing. It got insanely hot during indexing and the fans weren't picking up. Nonetheless, it survived (80-85˚C cpu). Then after a day, temps are averaging 40˚C cpu. For comparison, Mavericks was around 35˚C for me.
Nonetheless, it runs fine. Only issues are software ones and glitches with chrome and a few other apps. Those should be fine eventually with updates.

On a side note, I really miss having 16 gb ram. I had to put the stock 4 gb after the 16 gb ram went bad and lead to a whole bunch of issues...

After installing Yosemite, my default Mail isn't showing any of the folders from my Hotmail other than one folder that is named "Important".

Any idea how I can change it so I see all the folders from my Hotmail, especially the Inbox?

Foov

After three days of running perfectly fine (actually faster than mavericks) on my 2010 macbook pro my computer has gone totally haywire. It seemed to start after I installed an update to the email program we use for work (first class); the computer started to repeatedly randomly shut down/restart with no warning. Uninstalled the program, reinstalled the old version, and it seems to have stopped doing that but now everything is incredibly slow and lagging constantly - I've seen 4 spinning beach balls just trying to type this message - and nothing shows as unusual on the activity monitor. Oh, and messages seems to crash every time the computer is restarted. I can't imagine text message forwarding is what's causing all these problems.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Wait, where? In Safari? (I'm at work right now, and I'm not moving this workstation to Yosemite until the annual holiday code-freeze.
On the iCloud website, if you don't have JavaScript enabled you'll get a message to enable it, and above that you'll see that little nerdy cloud.

MicH

Still running fine on my 2010 15" MBP. It absolutely slowed to a crawl during indexing, but it seems good now. Really liking the aesthetic of Yosemite. Looks absolutely stunning!

Ambitious

Wifi problems have come back. Do something, Apple :(

My WiFi was terribly slow. Sites would take ages to load and sometimes not load at all. Watching YouTube videos without buffering (independent of the quality setting) was impossible). A speed test yielded 2Mbps. I've got a 75Mbps connection.

Just a minute ago, I read a post in the Apple forums, recommending to turn Bluetooth off. This made me remember something from about two years ago: Back then, I tried to use a Bluetooth keyboard with my rMBP. Worked fine, but interferences brought my WiFi to a crawl, so I stopped using the keyboard. I had totally forgotten about that.

Having turned on Bluetooth two days ago because of Handoff, I just turned it off again. Lightning-fast internet.

edit: The interference issue is limited to the 2.4 GHz frequency. Switch to 5 GHz, and it should be fine.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
My WiFi was terribly slow. Sites would take ages to load and sometimes not load at all. Watching YouTube videos without buffering (independent of the quality setting) was impossible). A speed test yielded 2Mbps. I've got a 75Mbps connection.

Just a minute ago, I read a post in the Apple forums, recommending to turn Bluetooth off. This made me remember something from about two years ago: Back then, I tried to use a Bluetooth keyboard with my rMBP. Worked fine, but interferences brought my WiFi to a crawl, so I stopped using the keyboard. I had totally forgotten about that.

Having turned on Bluetooth two days ago because of Handoff, I just turned it off again. Lightning-fast internet.

Wow, look at that. Son of a bitch... just hit up speediest for a quick run:

bluetooth on: 80 mb/s
bluetooth off: 200 mb/s

kiguel182

Yosemit is performing just as good as Maverick (maybe a little bit better but it might be a placebo) on my 2011 13 inch Macbook Pro. I was a little afraid that it would slow to a crawl but it has been fine since the update.

Even if most of the new features are useless to me since I don't own an Iphone or really use Apple's apps the fact that performance is the same and I haven't had any major bugs is more than enough for me for a free update.

pronk420

i have a 2013 MBA and it is really struggling with yosemite. is there any way to tell if it is still indexing? i updated on friday and I use it a lot so it really shouldn't be.

things that used to be smooth animations like exposé show all windows and moving between desktops are now slide shows or don't animate at all. safari scrolls fine, but opening a new tab is super choppy.

this is with nothing but safari open, and one tab...

i tried repairing disk permissions and switching off the dashboard but neither helped

EDIT: rebooted and its smooth again for now.. last time i tried that it didn't help but it did this time.

EmiPrime

Dumb shit developers think "Oh I can code in kernel space" then shit the bed. I don't know what those tools do that can't be done in user space but there's absolutely no reason for a mouse driver to be there shitting up the kernel.

It's the last time I buy a Steelseries product that's for sure! Think I have to look into something like SteerMouse otherwise I can't use the additional buttons.

cacophony

just installed this.. i remember using three fingers on the track pad to go back in firefox (to the left) and forward (swipe three fingers to the right)

forgot how I set this up, can someone refresh me?

EDIT: okay got that under 'more gestures'.. but what about three fingers up (goes to top of page) and down (to bottom)

Seems to run as well as Maverick on my 2009 13 inch MBP. Not perfect by any means, but not noticeably worse than what's it's been since I bought it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Those who updated and weren't in the beta, do you guys have the Feedback Assistant app too? I'm wondering if it's a remnant of the beta or if it's going to be a permanent thing.

Sch1sm

just installed this.. i remember using three fingers on the track pad to go back in firefox (to the left) and forward (swipe three fingers to the right)

forgot how I set this up, can someone refresh me?

EDIT: okay got that under 'more gestures'.. but what about three fingers up (goes to top of page) and down (to bottom)

Trackpad>More Gestures.

ramyeon

Those who updated and weren't in the beta, do you guys have the Feedback Assistant app too? I'm wondering if it's a remnant of the beta or if it's going to be a permanent thing.
I had it in the Beta but not after upgrading to the final release.

So what's up with text message sending? Aren't we supposed to be able to send text messages to people over our computer now? I don't see anything different when I pull up my iCloud contacts

kaioshade

So what's up with text message sending? Aren't we supposed to be able to send text messages to people over our computer now? I don't see anything different when I pull up my iCloud contacts

Make sure you enable text forwarding through your phone. you will then get a prompt to pair the two with a code. make sure both the phone and computer are on the same wifi network. It is working fine for me right now.

How does SMS forwarding actually work? I thought this feature at least required devices to be on the same WLAN. It's working for me right now, and I don't have my iPhone on WiFi. I have BT enabled on both my phone and Macbook, but my Macbook doesn't have BTLE.

I installed it on my 2010 Mac Mini. Actually improved performance a ton for me. Even Chrome runs slightly faster, which is noticeable as it had become almost unusable.

How does SMS forwarding actually work? I thought this feature at least required devices to be on the same WLAN. It's working for me right now, and I don't have my iPhone on WiFi. I have BT enabled on both my phone and Macbook, but my Macbook doesn't have BTLE.

Doesn't use BTLE. It uses BT 4 (or higher) I believe? I think it prefers wi-fi, but I'm not certain.

smuf

I think the phone pushes everything to iMessage in the cloud, so you don't neet WiFi or bluetooth enabled.

I would gather: Phone gets text, phone relays message to Apple, Apple pushes message to all devices.

Doesn't use BTLE. It uses BT 4 (or higher) I believe? I think it prefers wi-fi, but I'm not certain.

You sure about that? Either way my 2008 Unibody Macbook isn't on the supported list of Continuity, so I figured any of these additional Bluetooth features wouldn't be working as well.

edit: Pushing to the cloud makes sense. I hadn't heard they were going to be doing anything like that though.

br3wnor

Really want to install this but my school's exam software doesn't always work with Mac OS updates. Gotta wait for IT department approval, 2011 MBA so hope it runs smoothly once I get it.

Ugh, this is super disappointing. The text forwarding was the only feature that I was looking forward to and it doesn't work at all. I couldn't log in to one of my email addresses on messages (even though I am 100% sure that the password is correct). So, I figured I'd just add the email address that does work in messages to my phone. I did so, and it should work, but any time I try to send someone a message on my Mac it can't send successfully.

My mid-2011 MBA is running significantly hotter since the update--what could be the reason for this? My fans are audible right now and all I have open is Safari and Mail (and no, there aren't any GIFs running somewhere in the background!).

Something called "kernal_task" is using over 500mb of RAM right now. Could that be it?

kaioshade

How do I do that?

It is under settings, then text message forwarding.

Once both devices are on the same network (or paired via bluetooth), you will see your mac device in the list. select the device and it will generate a code on the mac. enter that on your iphone and they will be paired for sms forwarding.

Sch1sm

My mid-2011 MBA is running significantly hotter since the update--what could be the reason for this? My fans are audible right now and all I have open is Safari and Mail (and no, there aren't any GIFs running somewhere in the background!).

Something called "kernal_task" is using over 500mb of RAM right now. Could that be it?

Have you tried just rebooting? It could be a lot of different things causing it, really, I can't pinpoint it with no information aside from the high CPU usage.

Ninja Dom

Guys, as has been mentioned in the thread earlier. In order to get the SMS forwarding feature working on your Mac, you must be registered on iMessage with a phone number, not just an email address. Of course, you need an iPhone on iOS 8.1.

Probably a silly question, but in the notification area, can i change which calendar is used in the today view? Seems to only use the icloud one, but I'd like it to use my gmail one.

Sch1sm

Probably a silly question, but in the notification area, can i change which calendar is used in the today view? Seems to only use the icloud one, but I'd like it to use my gmail one.

Weird. Mine works fine. Maybe you need to have an event in today to see it? Either way, something you can try: Calendar > Preferences > General Tab > Default Calendar -- change this to your gmail account if it isn't already.

EDIT: ALSO. Make sure the account is enabled in the "Account Tab."

hypotc

I can't get the code for SMS relaying to show up on my 2014 Macbook Air. Any suggestions? I've enabled bluetooth and the devices are on the same Wifi network.

hypotc

That sucks. I was able to Airdrop a photo from my iPhone 6 to my Macbook though, so they can communicate atleast.

Weird. Mine works fine. Maybe you need to have an event in today to see it? Either way, something you can try: Calendar > Preferences > General Tab > Default Calendar -- change this to your gmail account if it isn't already.

EDIT: ALSO. Make sure the account is enabled in the "Account Tab."

Hm, I added something today and it shows up.. guess its just the tomorrow area that doesn't work.. or maybe it doesnt work with 'all day long' events.

Edit: Yup, thats it

Have you tried just rebooting? It could be a lot of different things causing it, really, I can't pinpoint it with no information aside from the high CPU usage.

I have tried rebooting it. It's been happening since I installed the update a few days ago. What other information would you need from me?

Number45

Is there a list of 8.1 features and their requirements? Paired my 2012 MBA with my 4S this morning, although I haven't tested it with non iMessages yet.

Sch1sm

I have tried rebooting it. It's been happening since I installed the update a few days ago. What other information would you need from me?

A screenshot of the Activity Monitor in the "all processes" rather than "my processes." Would help in seeing if anything that isn't currently running is causing it, maybe. Eliminate that and then we can all try and offer further advice. :p

Laekon

So I got the email saying I need to upgrade my beta version to the release version. When I go to download the release version a pop-up tells me I already have 10.10. Do I really need to download this?

Top Bottom