• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Ambitious

Oh nice. Is it safe for Yosemite? Well I guess it should be if youre recommending it.

Edit: Works well. Have to kill the habit of pressing tab every single time though.

It's working. My only problem so far was that apparently it doesn't preserve settings when disabled. I was trying to switch to DuckDuckGo and disabled Keyword Search to properly test it, but when I turned it on again some time later, all my defined searches were gone. Obviously shouldn't be an issue if you just leave the extension enabled.

I had the exact same problem.

Go into System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Location Services, uncheck Weather, then recheck it. You might have to open Notification Center between unchecking and rechecking, but when it works it'll reload and should get the correct town.

That fixed it! thanks so much!

Fuchsdh

They sent me an email too and I hadn't tried a beta since PB2. I think they're just covering their bases on beta users who they don't have ticked somewhere as having downloaded retail.

I really like the new update. No major flaws, generally good performance on my early 2011 Pro.

The new Safari is really nice. I think they finally got everything that typically made me leave in the past.

Anyone here tried Hackintoshing it?

i have a hackintosh installation of yosemite using the clover bootloader, everything is working fine as far as i can tell, about to test SMS relay on my iPhone after it finishes updating to 8.1

call forwarding works but the other features like continuity and handoff do not work since i do not have a compatible bluetooth module (i can probably hack the USB one i have to work with it possibly but i'm not so sure) i might end up buying the mini pci cards used in the iMacs and get an adapter

update: SMS relay works just fine! if anyone needs help with getting their hackintosh working with Yosemite let me know, i've got a decent amount of knowhow i'd like to think :p

Magnus

How will my 2010 MBP fare with Yosemite, you think? I have an SSD in there now, and it performs really well with Mountain Lion.

I never bit on Mavericks due to lack of any killer features and way too many reports of lousy battery life on that OS.

I'm kind of terrified to do the upgrade now with this new OS.

Is it fairly straightforward to go back to my current Mountain Lion setup with the use of Time Machine?

How will my 2010 MBP fare with Yosemite, you think? I have an SSD in there now, and it performs really well with Mountain Lion.

I never bit on Mavericks due to lack of any killer features and way too many reports of lousy battery life on that OS.

I'm kind of terrified to do the upgrade now with this new OS.

Is it fairly straightforward to go back to my current Mountain Lion setup with the use of Time Machine?
When I got my MBP it was on Mountain Lion. Mavericks messed up the battery life + performance but Yosemite seems so far much snappier than Mountain Lion.

Instant Hotspot is popping up occasionally since updating my phone to 8.1, but still seems like it has trouble detecting it. Kinda frustrating.

kehs

Banned
Heads up.

Today’s web users have grudgingly accepted that search terms they type into Google are far from private. But over the weekend, users of Apple’s latest operating system discovered OS X Yosemite pushes the limits of data collection tolerance one step further: its desktop search tool Spotlight uploads your search terms in real time to Apple’s remote servers, by default.

Fortunately for Apple’s angry users, however, this is one privacy invasion that’s easy to cut short.

Apple describes the new “feature” as an effort to include search results in Spotlight from iTunes, its App Store, and the Internet. If the user has enabled “Location Services” on his or her Mac, the computer’s location will be siphoned up to Apple, too, “to make suggestions more relevant to you.” And Apple notes on a Spotlight preferences description that the search terms will also be shared with Microsoft’s Bing search engine, an even more surprising destination for queries that Mac users likely believed they were typing in the privacy of their own computer.

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/how-to-fix-os-x-yosemite-search/?mbid=social_gplus

Number45

My MBP shipped with Mavericks. Just for the sake of experimenting I checked out the recovery mode after Yosemite finished installing and saw that it was updated to Yosemite as well.

So all it will ever download is a fresh copy of Yosemite.
That's good to know. My MBA originally shipped with ML, and after an upgrade to Mavericks and then the Yosemite beta it still reset to ML. They must have updated the process.

I have a early 2011 mbp and with Yosemite runs smoother than mavericks did (once spotlight finished the indexing).
+1

It got very smooth after the first day. No performance complains now other than an ocassional failure to allow the trackpad to function correctly requiring a reboot.

I'm currently waiting my new Bluetooth/Wifi board to enable handoff

details, please. what board and where did you order it from?

Fuchsdh

kehs

Banned
I didn't know bing was part of the spotlight searching. I know some are little hesitant about sending stuff upwards.

sruckus

The six-color icon has been making a fairly big comeback at Apple... I'm starting to think it's not too crazy now that they've gotten rid of the glossy Apple icon from Steve Jobs' return, they might actually go back to a multicolored logo.

I like it as a gay man for its LGBT connotations. Kind of makes me wonder if Cook (based on the rumors) likes it a lot himself :p

I think it's great that SMS will get redirected to imessage in Macs, but taking a step back... Why doesn't iMessage sync conversation history? You know, like pretty much every other messaging solution does. I did a clean install on my iPad and the Imessage there got completely wiped, which sucks.

I find it annoying to, but it's based on how iMessage works. It prioritizes security a bit and every message is encrypted separately for each device added to the account and added. After that it's not stored anywhere. So, there's no way to "send the history" to a new device unless they maybe implemented some kind of option for you to be able to do that from an existing device.

DOWN

Banned
I like it as a gay man for its LGBT connotations. Kind of makes me wonder if Cook (based on the rumors) likes it a lot himself :p

You would think they could use it for that, but it seems they are preserving it's history as a plain old logo for the company and they have a totally separate one for LGBT symbolism:

apple_parade_festival_reuters.jpg

NysGAF

Has this melted any 2011 MBPs yet

Melted mine. 2011 MBP 17". Was running fine for a few days before I plugged in my Wacom tablet. Boy did it not like that. Split my screen and switched orientation. Did a restart. Was prompted to download a new Wacom driver. Did that and the MB restarted itself over and over again, always ending at a gray screen. Booting to my Time Machine drive didn't help. Had to boot from my Install DVD, open Disk Utility to see that my internal HD was now "incompatible" or something, erased it, and finally got Time Machine to restore my laptop to pre-Yosemite status.

Probably my fault, I ignored the warning that my Wacom driver was not compatible with Yosemite. This time I will update the OS, then update the driver, then attempt to connect the tablet.

EmiPrime

Melted mine. 2011 MBP 17". Was running fine for a few days before I plugged in my Wacom tablet. Boy did it not like that. Split my screen and switched orientation. Did a restart. Was prompted to download a new Wacom driver. Did that and the MB restarted itself over and over again, always ending at a gray screen. Booting to my Time Machine drive didn't help. Had to boot from my Install DVD, open Disk Utility to see that my internal HD was now "incompatible" or something, erased it, and finally got Time Machine to restore my laptop to pre-Yosemite status.

Probably my fault, I ignored the warning that my Wacom driver was not compatible with Yosemite. This time I will update the OS, then update the driver, then attempt to connect the tablet.

I tried installing the Steelseries mouse drivers and instantly got a kernel panic. It would constantly kernel panic on the login screen too. I had to boot from my backup and delete all the Steelseries files by hand that the uninstaller didn't remove. Funny how these input device drivers can completely trash an install single handedly.

flyover

I've got Yosemite on a 2009 iMac and a pair of 11" MBAs (2010 and 2012), all with 4GB RAM and generally with the low-tier specs. So far, it's been great on all of them.

I mostly just browse the web and code (in Xcode, Webstorm, and Coda), with occasional image and audio editing (various Adobe CC products and Apple Logic).

I generally like the look. The Helvetica menus aren't so great on non-retina, but Apple (as they often do) were probably designing more for the devices to come, not the average devices in use today.

I tried installing the Steelseries mouse drivers and instantly got a kernel panic. It would constantly kernel panic on the login screen too. I had to boot from my backup and delete all the Steelseries files by hand that the uninstaller didn't remove. Funny how these input device drivers can completely trash an install single handedly.

Dumb shit developers think "Oh I can code in kernel space" then shit the bed. I don't know what those tools do that can't be done in user space but there's absolutely no reason for a mouse driver to be there shitting up the kernel.

Yeah, I've only heard good report with the transition. Good to hear it isn't dying off like older iPhones have with OS upgrades.

Agreed. I was a little wary about making the jump but I had time on my hands so I went for it. Upgrade probably took an hour at most (downloading + installing). Only drawback, which is something I dealt with Mavericks as well, is it takes a couple of minutes for it to start up after I shut it down every night before bed. I'm sure it has to do with the aging hardware and, in all honesty, it's not even a big deal since I turn it on and do other stuff before actually using it. Overall, I'm happy.

Fuchsdh

The solution to most "my computer got slower upgrading" is to wipe your hard drive and do a fresh install. Solves 90% of most ills.

Rykuen

Same here. Runs just fine.

I don't have anything other than Dropbox starting up on login, which probably helps, too.

My mid-2009 is running great too, I did have an issue with the wifi after upgrading but I managed to fix that with a quick google search

Is it just me or are the fonts like, way smaller than they were in Mavericks? Some things, like the timer on YouTube, look like they're meant for a Retina display but there aren't enough pixels to display it correctly. Like, dithered or something. Unfortunately my MBA does not have a Retina display.

Soybean

Hell, there's some 2009 MBP's on this thread running Yosemite.
2009! Not everyone's so privileged. I've got Yosemite cruising along on a late 2008 MacBook Pro (maxed out with 8 GB of RAM and an SDD). Not the greatest for heavy photo editing but still very much usable.

I very rarely get phone calls, but just as I finished setting up phone call handoff someone called (not someone I'd typically welcome a call from, but for experimentation's sake it was perfect timing)! It was nice being able to seamless take the call without putting my laptop aside.

Sch1sm

2009! Not everyone's so privileged. I've got Yosemite cruising along on a late 2008 MacBook Pro (maxed out with 8 GB of RAM and an SDD). Not the greatest for heavy photo editing but still very much usable.

I very rarely get phone calls, but just as I finished setting up phone call handoff someone called (not someone I'd typically welcome a call from, but for experimentation's sake it was perfect timing)! It was nice being able to seamless take the call without putting my laptop aside.

I wish I had an iPhone so I could use handoff and continuity myself. But then I think to my issues with the 3GS and lovingly touch my Nexus 5. At least that one person had use today. Either way, woah! I'd say that's crazy but you've clearly upgraded specs so it could have been a lot worse. How'd the.non-retina display treating you, though? The menus look weird to me in the screencaps I've seen online. It'd a bit close together, kinda fuzzy even. Gotta bless Apple.

olympia

Jesus. I'm just wondering if installing Yosemite will exacerbate the ticking time bomb that is the early 2011 MBP gpu

Jesus. I'm just wondering if installing Yosemite will exacerbate the ticking time bomb that is the early 2011 MBP gpu

speaking of, i had to get my GPU reballed. Been working beautifully since I did so in May. But boy was I worried I was gonna have to come out of $1200+ to get a new logic board. $160 later, I was a happy man.

Top Bottom