• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Deku Tree

Apple just sent me an email. They want me to install the 5GB release version of Yosemite over my GM beta version. They asked for me to please do it.

Well, after downloading the Yosemite update, I got a warning telling me I couldn't install it because my hard drive has a SMART error.

So yay, time to buy a new hard drive.

Sch1sm

Well, after downloading the Yosemite update, I got a warning telling me I couldn't install it because my hard drive has a SMART error.

So yay, time to buy a new hard drive.

Try repartitioning and formatting before shelling out a new one. :c Unless you have the spare cash. Then, well, why not?

Try repartitioning and formatting before shelling out a new one. :c Unless you have the spare cash. Then, well, why not?

It's a work laptop, so the boss pays for it! Upgrading from 500GB to 1TB.

Thing has been running like shit for a few months now. I wasn't surprised when I discovered there's something legitimately wrong with my hard drive.

This is exactly what I needed to make my background complete.

EeVr8Nj.png

What background is that?

Ninja Dom

Apple just sent me an email. They want me to install the 5GB release version of Yosemite over my GM beta version. They asked for me to please do it.

I got the same email. I read on a site at the weekend that those on Public Beta 6 didn't need to update to final but now the email from Apple asks us to do otherwise. Anyway I updated to the release version on Saturday.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, they sent me that email too. I was planning on doing it anyway. I'll take care of it tomorrow. I already downloaded the installer in preparation, though I guess I could have just restarted with the Option key held down. I plan on doing a reformat and reinstall.

As for how Yosemite looks on non-Retina displays, well I didn't notice anything terrible on my low resolution 20" ACD yet. And I'll test it further when my 27" iMac arrives.

RevoDS

Screw that, I'll be waiting for 10.10.1...if there's anything worthwhile. Otherwise, give me a nice little delta update and I'll do it.

Otherwise, no need to bother. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
iTunes 12 is being a right pain in the ass. It's downloaded 2 movies now where the connection cuts out yet when I resume it decides to re-download the whole thing even when it's done like 90% and got the 4GB file in the downloads folder.

It doesn't seem to bother checking the download folder to see if a file is available it just downloads a new one instead. Anyone know how to fix this?

Edit: Oh yea it no longer allows me to stream I have to download the whole film before I can watch. If I try to stream it just freezes and if I decide to watch before its 100% done it sometimes freezes. So now I gotta wait another damn 80 minutes.

nampad

To be honest, I am not noticing any improvements except the nicer looks. The whole iOS connectivity is lost on me because of my old ass Iphone 3GS.

On the other hand, there are some things I don't like.
I don't like that the green button now functions as fullscreen. Apple refused to do full screen for so long and I got used to it.
Also, I use a lot of Facetime and it is annoying that the window size and position I prefer isn't saved. Even in the same session the position changed if the side bar opens after a chat. Not showing me all the contacts ad only a search bar is annoying, too.

Another thing is not showing the website title on top in Safari. Especially when browsing GAF it helps. The new tab bar sucks as well.

Number45

How do I get a version to put on a flash drive for a clean install?
This is pretty much what I did (followed an older article from the beta but the process is the same). You'll need to adapt the disc part based on your needs (I wiped the disk completely on mine, but you might not want to).

Basically download it from the app store but DON'T install (cancel when it asks to start the installation), then run that command on a properly formatted USB drive with a large enough capacity (I used 16GB). It'll make it bootable - it's all pretty straightforward, but quite time consuming.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Right, is it possible to do a clean install without using a usb? I've already downloaded and installed yosemite, but I'm thinking I should to a clean install just to speed my old 2011 imac up a bit..

Number45

Right, is it possible to do a clean install without using a usb? I've already downloaded and installed yosemite, but I'm thinking I should to a clean install just to speed my old 2011 imac up a bit..
You'd need something other than the local disk to run the install from so I'm not sure if there's a way if doing it without using a USB drive. Maybe doing it to a separate partition on the hard drive? Someone will have to chime in, I'm by no means an expert (I'm just setup in such a way that I can deal with a complete loss of all data on the machine, so I can afford to take the risk).

xsarien

daedsiluap

OS X Recovery partition.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

ETA: OS X Recovery launched from the partition re-downloads the OS from Apple when you click "Install." Just an FYI, the first time I realized that I was kind of annoyed.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
OS X Recovery partition.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

ETA: OS X Recovery launched from the partition re-downloads the OS from Apple when you click "Install." Just an FYI, the first time I realized that I was kind of annoyed.

Oh, so I just back-up whatever I want to save on my only measly external drive, then restart and recover via my apple account? The downside being that I have to download yosemite again? I can live with that.

xsarien

daedsiluap
But this recovers from the original version of OS X in my experience, so it won't be any use for a fresh install of Yosemite.

My MBP shipped with Mavericks. Just for the sake of experimenting I checked out the recovery mode after Yosemite finished installing and saw that it was updated to Yosemite as well.

So all it will ever download is a fresh copy of Yosemite.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Oh, so I just back-up whatever I want to save on my only measly external drive, then restart and recover via my apple account? The downside being that I have to download yosemite again? I can live with that.

Backing everything up someplace safe regardless of how you're upgrading the OS is usually good form. :)

Anyway to search multiple sites from Safari URL bar like on Chrome? Like search youtube videos directly from safari instead of going to youtube.com first?

NekoFever

Anyway to search multiple sites from Safari URL bar like on Chrome? Like search youtube videos directly from safari instead of going to youtube.com first?

It seems to pick up sites you visit and allow you to search them (see the list in Preferences -> Search -> Manage Websites). Like I get this when putting YouTube at the start of a query:

screenshot2014-10-20a87joh.png

I really like Yosemite. I figured performance would be impacted at least a little bit on my 2011 MBP, but if anything it's faster. I have one niggling problem though. I installed it at my parent's house over the weekend, but now I'm home 8 hours away and the weather widget in notification center still thinks I'm in their town not mine. Does anyone know how to make it update my location?

I really like Yosemite. I figured performance would be impacted at least a little bit on my 2011 MBP, but if anything it's faster. I have one niggling problem though. I installed it at my parent's house over the weekend, but now I'm home 8 hours away and the weather widget in notification center still thinks I'm in their town not mine. Does anyone know how to make it update my location?

click the little "i" icon beside the Weather header, then you can add whichever city you want :~)

This happened too me to and just ended up downloading from the Apple site. Then it got fixed.

Thank you, I will do that!
Can't wait for Dropbox to update, right now I cannot use the Dropbox commands from the Finder.

Will Apple allow us to test their Dropbox alternative? I'd be open to switching, but I really need to be able to compare the two.

NekoFever

I have one niggling problem though. I installed it at my parent's house over the weekend, but now I'm home 8 hours away and the weather widget in notification center still thinks I'm in their town not mine. Does anyone know how to make it update my location?

I had the exact same problem.

Go into System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Location Services, uncheck Weather, then recheck it. You might have to open Notification Center between unchecking and rechecking, but when it works it'll reload and should get the correct town.

I had the exact same problem.

Go into System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Location Services, uncheck Weather, then recheck it. You might have to open Notification Center between unchecking and rechecking, but when it works it'll reload and should get the correct town.

though this is probably the solution you were looking for~~

It seems to pick up sites you visit and allow you to search them (see the list in Preferences -> Search -> Manage Websites). Like I get this when putting YouTube at the start of a query:

screenshot2014-10-20a87joh.png

I havent been able to see that yet. I just get Top Hit, Google Search and Bookmarks

Also, any way to search the web on Spotlight? I moved the Bing search thing in preferences to under Applications but I rarely ever get an option to bing search for any keywords.

As NekoFever mentioned, Safari learns when you use searches on websites. But as it's not possible to define any search shortcuts, I'm using Safari Keyword Search instead.

Oh nice. Is it safe for Yosemite? Well I guess it should be if youre recommending it.

Edit: Works well. Have to kill the habit of pressing tab every single time though.

Top Bottom