• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

10.10.1 is out now, so all of you who were on the fence waiting, you can finally jump in.

Here's hoping it fixes those irritating bugs. Including the one where Yosemite temporarily loses the custom colour profile.

EDIT: Installed it, but I still get this:

SmMcndv.gif

Apple, please fix this minor annoyance.

Fuchsdh

Eh, I'll wait for 10.10.2. Rather upgrade all my computers, including at work, and be done with it, especially since I want to finally start using iCloud drive.

alatif113

Anyone else notice menu's getting messed up in apps thanks to the "frosted glass" effect. For example, in Photoshop I can't see the font previews in the menu to change fonts. Its just a blank menu until I hover over a font.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Browsing on my home wifi definitely feels way faster on my Macbook after this update, I don't think it's a placebo.

Get'sMad

Will dl when I get home but I hope it fixes that annoying bug with Messages where if I have the app on top and click elsewhere on the screen Messages jumps to that area. It's annoying as hell. Only application this happens with to me on Yosemite.

Oh the App Store button is back when you hit Edit in Notification Centre.
It takes you to the iTunes App Store instead of the Mac App Store though...

Also information for Music files still displays in black text in Spotlight whilst using dark mode which makes it unreadable. It's unreal how that still hasn't been fixed.

Ambitious

Safari is the only one I'll use now. What Sch1sm said is right. Chrome is junk now and Firefox feels like it's stuck in the 2010s. Safari however is great for me despite its flaws.

Safari is way to primitive for my taste, and the available extensions are a joke. And how thankful I am to Apple for importing the white-page bug from iOS.

So, I agree with Sanjuro. All browsers on OS X are shit.

Zuly

The problem with Safari is that it doesn't have an actual dedicated place for extensions. I have all of my Chrome extensions on Safari but I got them all from different places. That poor excuse they have of a site for extensions is not enough.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't need that many extensions and Safari has all the ones I need. Every time I swithchd browsers I cut down on the amount I used. To think I initially switched to Firefox from Safari was for its customizability. Then to Chrome for its modernness. And to Safari for its integration and less shittiness.

The problem with Safari is that it doesn't have an actual dedicated place for extensions. I have all of my Chrome extensions on Safari but I got them all from different places. That poor excuse they have of a site for extensions is not enough.
Agreed. I use Safari now for some of its features and because it's easy on my battery, but their extension game hasn't improved since they launched them.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Is there a trackpad gesture to quickly get to spotlight?

Here's hoping it fixes those irritating bugs. Including the one where Yosemite temporarily loses the custom colour profile.

EDIT: Installed it, but I still get this:

SmMcndv.gif

Apple, please fix this minor annoyance.
That happens when you disable transparency, at least I've noticed that when I disabled transparency. :p

Shun

Fuckkk, I accidentally turned on FileVault during the update and now I'm having to let it sit through the process. 9+ hours...

Does anyone happen to know if or when Safari will be updated? It's on 8.0 and it's still kinda buggy for me.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
  • Addresses an issue that could cause Notiication Center settings to not be retained after a restart
Get it together Apple.

:p

rawd

gfxcardstatus started working again after the latest patch

I'm able to select between integrated and discrete video chipsets and its reporting it correctly in the app.

Sanjuro

Safari is the only one I'll use now. What Sch1sm said is right. Chrome is junk now and Firefox feels like it's stuck in the 2010s. Safari however is great for me despite its flaws.

I have some issues with safari slowing down when typing and just general unintuitive usage.

On my new retina it's less of an issue. So, I want to say my Mac mini 2011 is unoptimized in some of these new OS builds. Still, issues on both machines for multiple browsers.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have some issues with safari slowing down when typing and just general unintuitive usage.
I get that too. The words still type, but it takes forever for them to show up. But it's not often enough for me to want to consider jumping to a worse browser. Because it's still the best one on OS X in my opinion.

Also, I can't believe how buggy LaunchPad is now. I love LaunchPad. Why is it so buggy.

Get'sMad

10.10.1 seems to have fixed some performance issues with my late 2009 MBP so far anyways.... I was having some lag with my dock popping up from autohide and using a hot corner to show all open application windows...went away for a bit when I realized after installing 10.10 that it was using the integrated graphics card in the machine and not the independent one. Enabled the independent gfx card and those issues went away for a bit but then returned.

Still having the annoying issue with Messages window with it always jumping around to the place where I click on the screen even when I'm not grabbing or dragging it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is there a trackpad gesture to quickly get to spotlight?
Use BetterTouchTool and set one up yourself. BTT is a must for anyone with a trackpad.

For instance, if you happen to not like LaunchPad (You monster.) you can just disable the gesture in Preferences and use BTT to assign the 4-finger pinch to do Spotlight if you want.

Thing is it wouldn't be much of a benefit since you still need to use the keyboard to actually use Spotlight so why bother having a gesture? You're going to be pressing keys anyway. It's faster to just use the keyboard combo.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You know what? I'd forgotten it even existed until I read this. I just can't like it, no matter how hard I try. Of course, it doesn't help that it's full of long-deleted steam games that it won't let me remove.
Click and hold and apps that don't exist should show an X. Even for ones that aren't from the App Store.

Otherwise, reset it.
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock ResetLaunchPad -bool true; killall Dock

I love LaunchPad. I dropped DragThing when it came out. (Sorry James Thompson)

But it's buggy with organizing icons. And I had it reset itself on me on my iMac the other day but kept the empty folders the icons used to be in and scattered them across 3 pages.

I just hate that gesture controlled animations, i.e. anything that's activated as you perform a gesture where the percent of the gesture = the percent of the animation, are still fucking broken. Showing LaunchPad, showing Desktop, bringing out the Notification Center, etc will all get stuck halfway all the fucking time. It's been broken since Beta 1 and still hasn't been fixed. I even submitted feedback. If it's something I have installed, I don't know what it'd be.

thenexus6

New update deleted everything in my notes app which is annoying.. I had a lot important stuff in there.. Never using that again now.

mrkgoo

You can sync Google notes into the Notes app. Unless you're afraid that would also ruin your notes on Google.

I haven't had any problems with iCloud.

I've had very few problems with iCloud myself.

I do try to keep things simple.

I did have one issue where my storage space mysteriously missing and was speaking with apple trying to get it sorted and they did so behind the scenes.

And reminders on my Mac takes a while to sync to the cloud but generally smooth sailing.

The cloud still scares me though. People find it like a safe haven for data but I know one bug and it can all be gone from the cloud and hence very where at once.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The cloud still scares me though. People find it like a safe haven for data but I know one bug and it can all be gone from the cloud and hence very where at once.
The bottom line is to not trust only the Cloud for data storage. Always keep a local copy and a local backup if possible. All my data is stored on my MacBook or iMac Server as well as a HDD hard copy clone and some data is also stored on either a CrashPlan backup or iCloud/DropBox copy. Nothing I have is only stored in one place. And much of it is stored in three. Nothing is only in the Cloud.

I guess the nice thing about DropBox is that it keeps all your data as it is in a local folder. And my backup programs make copies of those files to two separate places (Local networked and Cloud backup) so I can get them back if say DropBox up and died one day. iCloud also keeps local copies, albeit not in as user-friendly of a format, but it's still stored on the machine, and if you make sure to backup that folder (~/Library/Mobile Documents) you'll at least have a copy of that if iCloud fucks up or something. Though since iCloud Drive holds data in a weird format, you won't want to just simply restore the entire Mobile Documents folder, rather pick and choose where possible. Let's hope that never has to be tested though.

mrkgoo

The bottom line is to not trust only the Cloud for data storage. Always keep a local copy and a local backup if possible. All my data is stored on my MacBook or iMac Server as well as a HDD hard copy clone and some data is also stored on either a CrashPlan backup or iCloud/DropBox copy. Nothing I have is only stored in one place. And much of it is stored in three. Nothing is only in the Cloud.

I guess the nice thing about DropBox is that it keeps all your data as it is in a local folder. And my backup programs make copies of those files to two separate places (Local networked and Cloud backup) so I can get them back if say DropBox up and died one day. iCloud also keeps local copies, albeit not in as user-friendly of a format, but it's still stored on the machine, and if you make sure to backup that folder (~/Library/Mobile Documents) you'll at least have a copy of that if iCloud fucks up or something. Though since iCloud Drive holds data in a weird format, you won't want to just simply restore the entire Mobile Documents folder, rather pick and choose where possible. Let's hope that never has to be tested though.

Yah. I've had an iPhone app mess up its own data file hit because it used iCloud storage it was actually on my Mac and I pulled an earlier file from time machine and it sorted it out on my phone!

thenexus6

I don't use the cloud as my only option because things mess up, I had my notes all offline not connected to iCloud but they still messed up but I guess it works both ways

Vashetti

Banned
Woohoo, finally got my MacBook Pro fixed.

Yosemite is lovely. I was in the beta and performance was patchy, this feels so smooth and clean.

Dark mode is a revelation too.

Anyone else here having problems with Time Machine? I just got a new 2TB external drive and Time Machine runs extremely slowly. I let it run for almost 3 days and it only backed up about 26 GB of my 405GB. I did a number of tricks I saw online that involve Spotlight and starting in safe mode then restarting but all made no difference.

Deku Tree

Anyone else here having problems with Time Machine? I just got a new 2TB external drive and Time Machine runs extremely slowly. I let it run for almost 3 days and it only backed up about 26 GB of my 405GB. I did a number of tricks I saw online that involve Spotlight and starting in safe mode then restarting but all made no difference.

That's very very slow. Try stopping it and starting again. If that doesn't work I would check if you got a bad drive. Usb 3.0 right?

Yes 3.0. I've tried a few different times as well as using the disk utility to see if the new drive has any issues, it all looks ok. I read some similar complaints online but wanted to see if people here are also having the same issue.

Deku Tree

Yes 3.0. I've tried a few different times as well as using the disk utility to see if the new drive has any issues, it all looks ok. I read some similar complaints online but wanted to see if people here are also having the same issue.

No I could back up almost 1TB of data over wifi with a usb 2.0 connection using time machine in under 24 hours. I would try a different drive If you have access to one.

Top Bottom