• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Vashetti

Banned
It's so beautiful ;_;

AaLBUoY.jpg

rMnqA6D.jpg

Vashetti

Banned
Got the same machine too. It is awesome, though i got mine replaced because the first one i bought had a faulty headphone jack.

Any tips or settings I should check/uncheck?

I'm pretty OS X savvy but my old one was a few years old. Should I switch off Transparency? I don't mind losing that for better performance and battery.

Jorav

I'm pretty OS X savvy but my old one was a few years old. Should I switch off Transparency? I don't mind losing that for better performance and battery.

I wouldn't have a clue haha. This is my first Mac :D

Fuchsdh

I don't know if it'll have any major impact on either. My 2011 Mac mini has a 6630M and it runs without any real stuttering with transparency on, mission control, launchpad, etc. I think it's really just a cosmetic choice if you're bothered by the bleed through. If my Haswell MBP doesn't have issues I doubt yours will.

Vashetti

Banned
I wouldn't have a clue haha. This is my first Mac :D

Oh, never mind haha. Hope you're enjoying it though.

I still can't believe I've got one of the latest MBP models for free, all because my old one failed a few times and Apple did me a nice gesture.

Vashetti

Banned
No.

It'll just get worse.

And it's not covered by AppleCare.

Because Apple has forgotten what stress reducers are.

Because they look ugly. And therefore not part of the design.

:(

Reminds me of some Apple ad parody I saw where a Johnny Ive look/soundalike says "it'll probably break in about a month".

No.

It'll just get worse.

And it's not covered by AppleCare.

Because Apple has forgotten what stress reducers are.

Because they look ugly. And therefore not part of the design.

My girlfriend had a charger that frayed like that a few months ago and it was covered no questions asked at the Apple Store under her AppleCare. In fact they thanked her for bringing it in when she did as they didn't want her with a cable that was a potential fire hazard any longer than she had already ready had.

Vashetti

Banned
How do I look after the battery? If at home, should I just leave it plugged in all the time?

Obviously do a full-drain once a month.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My girlfriend had a charger that frayed like that a few months ago and it was covered no questions asked at the Apple Store under her AppleCare. In fact they thanked her for bringing it in when she did as they didn't want her with a cable that was a potential fire hazard any longer than she had already ready had.
When I took mine to an authorized service place he told me no.

I'd take it to an Apple Store but I'm not driving an hour to take that risk. It would need to be a guarantee. I have so many cables I'd get replaced if I knew I could without questions. It's not like I treat them badly. Cables should not do this.

If I did take my cables in, should I remove the tape first?

Fuchsdh

How do I look after the battery? If at home, should I just leave it plugged in all the time?

Obviously do a full-drain once a month.

Yeah that's not really necessary with modern batteries. You may want to drain it occasionally if you're getting bad readings to recalibrate the battery indicator, but in general it's better to just use it normally and not let it drain in normal use.

I'd take it to an Apple Store but I'm not driving an hour to take that risk. It would need to be a guarantee. I have so many cables I'd get replaced if I knew I could without questions. It's not like I treat them badly. Cables should not do this.

May want to try calling them first. Her's never got to the point where we taped them up so I don't know about removing the tape. All I can tell you is when we took the cable in (also took her MacBook so they could pull the serial for AppleCare) they took one look at it and said they'd replace it right away. Her's wasn't nearly as bad as what you posted.

Seeing that new Macbok hurts.
I have the same model but cracked the screen yesterday after a heavy fountain pen slipped out of my hand and hit the screen.
It's the first laptop I've broken and coincidentally the first I haven't had AppleCare/an extended warranty on :'(

Talking to Apple on the phone they suggest the entire top panel may need replacing.
They couldn't give a price unseen but a bit of googling suggests around about £500.
Shit.

Vashetti

Banned
I have the same model but cracked the screen yesterday after a heavy fountain pen slipped out of my hand and hit the screen.
It's the first laptop I've broken and coincidentally the first I haven't had AppleCare/an extended warranty on :'(

Talking to Apple on the phone they suggest the entire top panel may need replacing.
They couldn't give a price unseen but a bit of googling suggests around about £500.
Shit.

That's half the price almost, yikes.

Fuchsdh

Shit.

My wife had packed her unibody Macbook in a bag that went in storage on MegaBus—they tossed the bag out and shattered the screen when we arrived at the destination. She's been rocking the spiderweb for almost six years now, haha. Her video card's starting to give out though so I think a new MBP is in her future.

Screen replacements are definitely expensive. That must have been a heavy pen indeed!

My wife had packed her unibody Macbook in a bag that went in storage on MegaBus—they tossed the bag out and shattered the screen when we arrived at the destination. She's been rocking the spiderweb for almost six years now, haha. Her video card's starting to give out though so I think a new MBP is in her future.

Screen replacements are definitely expensive. That must have been a heavy pen indeed!

Ahh man I'm annoyed enough at myself for doing it, if it was somebody else's fault I'd be seriously angry!
I take it it's part of Megabus' t&c's that any damages caused are somehow your fault?

Screen replacement prices seem insane. I was considering a DIY solution but even that is really pricy.

When I can bear to look at it and think about using it again I'll probably pick up a cheap monitor and run it like that for a while. Think I have one in the attic actually...

Six years is some serious dedication!
My sister has had a cracked iPhone screen for about a year and I don't know how she can cope with that haha.

Fuchsdh

Ahh man I'm annoyed enough at myself for doing it, if it was somebody else's fault I'd be seriously angry!
I take it it's part of Megabus' t&c's that any damages caused are somehow your fault?

Screen replacement prices seem insane. I was considering a DIY solution but even that is really pricy.

When I can bear to look at it and think about using it again I'll probably pick up a cheap monitor and run it like that for a while. Think I have one in the attic actually...

Six years is some serious dedication!
My sister has had a cracked iPhone screen for about a year and I don't know how she can cope with that haha.

Yeah, that's the downside of cheap bus travel. If you care about anything, make sure it fits in your carry-on.

She broke her iPhone 4S screen within a few weeks of getting it too, but that was entirely her fault :p I gave her my old Otterbox when I upgrade to a 6 and I'm fairly certain that's the only reason it's held together now.

Ambitious

Clicked on a Google Images search result and Safari screwed up my system. Awesome.

First, the beachball appeared for a few seconds. Then the menu bar disappeared. Alfred didn't show up when I hit CMD+Space, but for some reason Mission Control was activated instead. However, it only showed iTunes and no other windows. The dock and the Desktop/Spaces bar at the top of the screen were missing too. The background was black, so my screen really only showed the iTunes window and nothing else. Then it disappeared too. The screen was black, but the cursor appeared every few seconds for a moment.

Had to force shutdown my Mac.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Sounds like the Windowserver had a panic attack.

What could possibly be in a link that Safari would freak out about? lol

Can you reproduce it? If you search for the same thing and click the same link, does it happen again? If not, it's just a weird fluke. But if it does it every time, you could send feedback to Apple about the link. (Remember when Safari came out and they wanted to make sure the brand new "Webkit" framework worked well with as many sites as possible?)

When you rebooted I assume it also said "You rebooted because of a crash. Would you like to send a report?"

Also, did it actually screw things up? Or is everything back to normal after the reboot? Because if it caused permanent problems then it's a real problem. I'd be curious to try the link myself if I had a spare system set up right now that I could risk.

Ambitious

Sounds like the Windowserver had a panic attack.

What could possibly be in a link that Safari would freak out about? lol

Can you reproduce it? If you search for the same thing and click the same link, does it happen again? If not, it's just a weird fluke. But if it does it every time, you could send feedback to Apple about the link. (Remember when Safari came out and they wanted to make sure the brand new "Webkit" framework worked well with as many sites as possible?)

When you rebooted I assume it also said "You rebooted because of a crash. Would you like to send a report?"

Also, did it actually screw things up? Or is everything back to normal after the reboot? Because if it caused permanent problems then it's a real problem. I'd be curious to try the link myself if I had a spare system set up right now that I could risk.

No, I can't reproduce it. It was just some random image on Google.
It did not ask me about sending an error report.

As for screwing things up.. I guess that was badly worded. No, I don't notice anything permanent. It was just another system hickup. Not sure whether it was caused by WindowServer, but the Console.app logs do look like it's related to graphics.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
No, I can't reproduce it. It was just some random image on Google.
It did not ask me about sending an error report.

As for screwing things up.. I guess that was badly worded. No, I don't notice anything permanent. It was just another system hickup. Not sure whether it was caused by WindowServer, but the Console.app logs do look like it's related to graphics.
Interesting. I do recall hearing about a bug with 10.10.3 where it won't be able to handle images of a certain size. Have you installed the latest supplemental update they released shortly after .3? (Though that only says it fixes a bug with video capture software. Not the image size bug.)

Either way, I think the issue is known and planned to be fixed at some point if not already. Who knows if we'll have to wait for 10.10.4 though.

Ambitious

Interesting. I do recall hearing about a bug with 10.10.3 where it won't be able to handle images of a certain size. Have you installed the latest supplemental update they released shortly after .3? (Though that only says it fixes a bug with video capture software. Not the image size bug.)

Either way, I think the issue is known and planned to be fixed at some point if not already. Who knows if we'll have to wait for 10.10.4 though.

Yes, I'm up to date.
I don't think the fact that I opened an image has anything to do with this issue. I'm sure it was just some weird WindowServer error which happened to be caused by clicking a link just in this specific instance.

mrkgoo

For the record it's not the extent of damage that causes it to be covered, but the type. I've seen ones that are frayed beyond recognition and get covered and other that are just slight pricks in the rubber coating not get covered.

It's to do with whether it looks accidental or from general wear. Also up to the examiner of course, but there are official guidelines.

And lastly, I seldom fray my cables like most users - the key wth the MagSafe chargers is to wrap a loop around two fingers BEFORE twining around the cable management clips (or in my case the adaptor it self). Basically, give it a loop of slack first. Even when using its probably a good idea if you have the extra cable length to loop it then tie it around the adaptor or management clips a couple times to keep any tension or accidental pull away from the join.

Technically the adaptora do have stress relief reinforcements, but it's not very long. Inevitably the cables will still wear where the cable joins with whatever stress relief part it has anyway.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For the record it's not the extent of damage that causes it to be covered, but the type. I've seen ones that are frayed beyond recognition and get covered and other that are just slight pricks in the rubber coating not get covered.

It's to do with whether it looks accidental or from general wear. Also up to the examiner of course, but there are official guidelines.

And lastly, I seldom fray my cables like most users - the key wth the MagSafe chargers is to wrap a loop around two fingers BEFORE twining around the cable management clips (or in my case the adaptor it self). Basically, give it a loop of slack first. Even when using its probably a good idea if you have the extra cable length to loop it then tie it around the adaptor or management clips a couple times to keep any tension or accidental pull away from the join.

Technically the adaptora do have stress relief reinforcements, but it's not very long. Inevitably the cables will still wear where the cable joins with whatever stress relief part it has anyway.
That doesn't help me when I never actually wind it up. I never take it anywhere. This is from normal plugged into the wall at home usage.

And those aren't stress relief. They're just socks for the wire that do nothing for it. I think the main problem is the rubber they use. It expands way too much. Hell, I covered the end of my laptops in electrical tape and it's still expanding even though I trimmed at least half an inch of the rubber.

My first Lightning cable (iPad mini) broke to the point it doesn't even work anymore because the wires inside short each other out. My second one (iPhone 5C) is broken too but still working for now.

Normal usage. Terrible materials. Shitty ass quality control on the most important aspect of their devices.

kuppy

So is the lock screen on a fresh boot now always the standard Yosemite wallpaper? Somehow can't get my selected wallpapers to show up during that fresh boot.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So is the lock screen on a fresh boot now always the standard Yosemite wallpaper? Somehow can't get my selected wallpapers to show up during that fresh boot.
I don't think it shows your wallpaper until you're logged in. So the initial boot will probably be default.

Ambitious

I haven't ranted in a while, haven't I?

Let's talk about the Mac App Store.

First off: Remember Software Update?

software_update_01.png

What a nice little app it was. So simple, so straightforward, so functional. It would search for updates and display them in a nice, compact table, showing name, version and download size.

After selecting the updates to be installed, a small window with nothing more than a progress bar would appear:

bildschirmfoto2015-05qjs88.png

Total progress, current subtask, downloaded vs total file size, estimated remaining time, and a stop button. Wonderful. What more do you need?

Well, we're all aware about the quality of Apple software nowadays. Here's my experience with trying to update Xcode using the Mac App Store.

bildschirmfoto2015-05a0u50.png

So, I started the MAS app and saw there's an update. Cool.

bildschirmfoto2015-05vtkbu.png

I clicked on the Updates tab, and then I had to wait. Native apps are generally way faster than web apps, you know? But some genius at Apple decided to make the MAS a web app inside a native Cocoa window. So I had to wait for two to three seconds until it finally loaded the Updates website.

bildschirmfoto2015-05c6sw9.png

Oh, an Xcode update! Great! However, they usually are pretty big. Several GBs. This one is.. well, yeah it doesn't fucking tell me how big it is. Apparently, that's not a relevant piece of data to display here.

bildschirmfoto2015-055jxb1.png

Well, let's start it. Now the Update button is gray and there's an activity indicator in the top left corner. Cool, the MAS is doing something! But what? What is it doing? How long will it take? Who knows. It's a mystery.

bildschirmfoto2015-051tuw8.png

The label on the left side changed to "Installing Updates". Again, no indication of how long it will approximately take. So I waited.

Ten minutes passed. The activity indicator was still spinning. Is this thing actually doing anything, I wondered? It's Apple software, so there's a good chance it's broken and just twiddling its thumbs. (Or maybe the update is really that big? Well how the fuck should I know if they don't display the file size?)
I closed the MAS. Assuming it was actually installing the update, surely this should work in the background too, right? And if not, the MAS app would have warned me when I closed it. "Do you really want to quit? Closing the app will pause all your downloads", or something like that. But it didn't, so I should be fine.

bildschirmfoto2015-05xyl96.png

After a minute, I opened it again. Two changes:
1) The button on the right now said "Stop" (or "Pause") instead of "Update". Why? Why didn't it say this before? Did a bug cause it to not change its label before? Or had the MAS indeed been idling, and re-opening it caused it to actually start? Who knows.
2) Another label right next to the button. It said "Waiting". What? What are you waiting for?! Just fucking resume the update.

And a few seconds later, this happened:

Back to the start. What the bloody hell is this shit?

Once again, I clicked on "Update", and guess what?

bildschirmfoto2015-05vout2.png

The activity indicator started spinning again, claiming the app is working on something. Yeah, not gonna fall for that again. However, unlike earlier, the label on the left still says "1 Update available" instead of "Installing updates".

I have no idea what this broken mess is doing or not doing. But like all modern Apple software, it just doesn't work.

Twenty minutes have passed since I last clicked the Update button. I'm tired of this shit. I'm just gonna uninstall Xcode instead.

fake edit: Just before posting this, I restarted the MAS one more time.

bildschirmfoto2015-05uvsy9.png

What the hell? Like, seriously? Why is it displaying the progress now? Why didn't it show it earlier?

After a few seconds, the view changed again:

Unbelievable.

I also can't stand that it now takes an extra click and loading to get to the Software Updates. I still for the most part don't care about the shit you put on the MAS, Apple, just give me my freaking updates.

robox

i made the mistake once of getting xcode off the app store. i've gotten the last 8 versions or whatever through the dev center and haven't looked back.

1. mac app store is a stupid app because of it's so slow at loading
  2. with xcode, i sometimes need to have multiple versions installed at once, but updates will just overwrite the existing
  3. it downloads like a regular file off the internet
  4. i now have a download file which i can distribute to my cohorts without each of us using internet bandwidth
  5. i don't have to use the app store app

mrkgoo

I haven't ranted in a while, haven't I?

Let's talk about the Mac App Store.

First off: Remember Software Update?

software_update_01.png

What a nice little app it was. So simple, so straightforward, so functional. It would search for updates and display them in a nice, compact table, showing name, version and download size.

After selecting the updates to be installed, a small window with nothing more than a progress bar would appear:

bildschirmfoto2015-05qjs88.png

Total progress, current subtask, downloaded vs total file size, estimated remaining time, and a stop button. Wonderful. What more do you need?

Well, we're all aware about the quality of Apple software nowadays. Here's my experience with trying to update Xcode using the Mac App Store.

bildschirmfoto2015-05a0u50.png

So, I started the MAS app and saw there's an update. Cool.

bildschirmfoto2015-05vtkbu.png

I clicked on the Updates tab, and then I had to wait. Native apps are generally way faster than web apps, you know? But some genius at Apple decided to make the MAS a web app inside a native Cocoa window. So I had to wait for two to three seconds until it finally loaded the Updates website.

Oh, an Xcode update! Great! However, they usually are pretty big. Several GBs. This one is.. well, yeah it doesn't fucking tell me how big it is. Apparently, that's not a relevant piece of data to display here.

bildschirmfoto2015-055jxb1.png

Well, let's start it. Now the Update button is gray and there's an activity indicator in the top left corner. Cool, the MAS is doing something! But what? What is it doing? How long will it take? Who knows. It's a mystery.

bildschirmfoto2015-051tuw8.png

The label on the left side changed to "Installing Updates". Again, no indication of how long it will approximately take. So I waited.

Ten minutes passed. The activity indicator was still spinning. Is this thing actually doing anything, I wondered? It's Apple software, so there's a good chance it's broken and just twiddling its thumbs. (Or maybe the update is really that big? Well how the fuck should I know if they don't display the file size?)
I closed the MAS. Assuming it was actually installing the update, surely this should work in the background too, right? And if not, the MAS app would have warned me when I closed it. "Do you really want to quit? Closing the app will pause all your downloads", or something like that. But it didn't, so I should be fine.

bildschirmfoto2015-05xyl96.png

After a minute, I opened it again. Two changes:
1) The button on the right now said "Stop" (or "Pause") instead of "Update". Why? Why didn't it say this before? Did a bug cause it to not change its label before? Or had the MAS indeed been idling, and re-opening it caused it to actually start? Who knows.
2) Another label right next to the button. It said "Waiting". What? What are you waiting for?! Just fucking resume the update.

And a few seconds later, this happened:

Back to the start. What the bloody hell is this shit?

Once again, I clicked on "Update", and guess what?

bildschirmfoto2015-05vout2.png

The activity indicator started spinning again, claiming the app is working on something. Yeah, not gonna fall for that again. However, unlike earlier, the label on the left still says "1 Update available" instead of "Installing updates".

I have no idea what this broken mess is doing or not doing. But like all modern Apple software, it just doesn't work.

Twenty minutes have passed since I last clicked the Update button. I'm tired of this shit. I'm just gonna uninstall Xcode instead.

fake edit: Just before posting this, I restarted the MAS one more time.

bildschirmfoto2015-05uvsy9.png

What the hell? Like, seriously? Why is it displaying the progress now? Why didn't it show it earlier?

After a few seconds, the view changed again:

Unbelievable.
Oh thank god it's not just me.

I've learnt that the progress bar indicator is borked in MAS. You click update and it doesn't do anything. Except it does. It's downloading in the background. If you click it again it will start downloading new a second one and install twice.

It will do it in the background even if you close the AppStore app, if I'm to believe the activity monitor.

Usually I resort to flicking away from the updates page and back and for a brief moment you will see the progress bar with actual time like sits supposed to but will often just disappear again.

Another way is to use launch pad which will show your updating app greyed out and with a progress bar.

What a piece of crap.

Fuchsdh

No issues with MAS on my computers, though I can appreciate the time delay getting to updates can be annoying on repetition.

Setting up new computers is far easier than it ever was before thanks to the MAS and iCloud.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Speaking of progress bars. I still don't understand why they brought the boot up progress bar back. It's not even real. When OS X came out, there was a real progress bar. It would show every system as it was loading like Classic Mac OS did. At one point they removed the text that it displayed and made the progress window fake. In that it based its loading bar speed on the previous boot. Which meant it would sometimes not even finish or others would finish early before booting was finished. But as the Intel switch came along and computers got faster, they removed it completely to simplify things.

But now it's back. For no reason. It's never accurate. Why is it there? Just show a spinning progress indicator to show the computer isn't frozen and be done with it. Boot up is relatively fast anyway. Especially on flash based machines.

Might as well bring back the Happy Mac icon.

I demand the march of Inits back.

Abed, you can probably set an NV args parameter to only boot in robot-barf mode so you can see everything as it loads.

I don't see anything on my Mac Pro because I have an unflashed PC GPU.

Was very surprised by the white on black boot bar on a 15" retina I put Yosemite on today. What a gorgeous machine. No desire for a laptop that big, but damn.

Top Bottom