• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2016 |OT| 5:30am PT Thur Jan 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowieZ

Banned
So Star Wars got a music nom? I like John Williams but I can't remember a single piece of the music from TFA. Nothing stood out beyond the brief moments they played the older movies music.
Well, don't forget... film music isn't necessarily meant to be memorable, although Williams has tended to be that in the past. Check out these recommendations:

"Rey's Theme" is brilliant. It's straight out of Zelda or something, well, more Williamsy though.

His use of old themes is deft.

And there's some great other new material in there as well, especially "Scherzo for X-Wings," "The Ways of the Force" and the "Jedi Steps" ending sequence.

Edit: Just came across this really awesome cover of "Rey's Theme" with piano and violin and lightsaber bow lol

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No one's saying Leo is Philip Seymour Hoffman, but he's been great and Oscar worthy for an exceedingly long time.

I am the biggest Leo fan but he doesnt deserve an oscar for this movie/performance.

You put ANY other A list actor in that role and you wouldve gotten the same performance.

Toxi

Banned
So Star Wars got a music nom? I like John Williams but I can't remember a single piece of the music from TFA. Nothing stood out beyond the brief moments they played the older movies music.
Rey's theme ("The Scavenger") is excellent and probably the only track in the movie that really jumps out at me every time I see it. It helps that it accompanies that awesome shot of Rey sledding down a sand dune.

GhaleonEB

Glad to see Fury Road recognized with the nominations, for best picture in particular. It won't win, but I'm glad it's in the mix.

You must be joking. What did he actually act in this movie? He was just being super cool and quite. I don't see what is so difficult about that in the sense of actual acting.

This is like the entire problem with the Academy. People confusing MOST for BEST. The MOST acting award for the person who screamed and chewed the most scenery. The MOST cinematography for the most showy camera work and lighting. The MOST costume design for the one with alll the dresses.

Farsi

I am the biggest Leo fan but he doesnt deserve an oscar for this movie/performance.

You put ANY other A list actor in that role and you wouldve gotten the same performance.

OH NO, as much as I rag Leo on the fundamentals of his acting ability, he's one of the best physical actors in the business today. No way ANY other A list actor in that role would of delivered the same or better performance.

Tedesco!

I know I am probably in the minority, but I think screenplays of biopics should get be in the category of adapted screenplays, not original.

wapplew

This is like the entire problem with the Academy. People confusing MOST for BEST. The MOST acting award for the person who screamed and chewed the most scenery. The MOST cinematography for the most showy camera work and lighting. The MOST costume design for the one with alll the dresses.

No lie detected. Especially cinematography, all about fancy gimmick few years now.

BowieZ

Banned
Rey's theme ("The Scavenger") is excellent and probably the only track in the movie that really jumps out at me every time I see it. It helps that it accompanies that awesome shot of Rey sledding down a sand dune.
Yeah. It's so good. Love the fake-out, with the haunting creepy music while she's abseiling masked, and then this glorious but isolated flute cadenza when she reveals herself to be a sweet-faced naive young girl.

higemaru

Morricone better get the Original Score Oscar, that's the only horse I have in this race. Best Actor and Best Picture will be fun to speculate on but it's looking like The Revenant is taking both (rip Spotlight). I personally don't think Leo's performance in Revenant is Oscar-worthy (Gleeson, Hardy, and Poulter all have more interesting performances) but DiCaprio has earned an Oscar so just give it to him for this. The physicality of the role is impressive even if its weak in other departments.

pixelish

No lie detected. Especially cinematography, all about fancy gimmick few years now.

cinematography is not only about camerawork fyi
the revenant didn't use any artificial light so it's amazing that lubezki managed to capture everything with natural sunlight (prob the reason why film went overbudget)

Oh shut up, he made that movie what it is. Leo is believable in every role he does and he disappears into what ever role he is in.

The movie itself is long and obnoxious. A celebration of hedonism and greed that was a chore for me to sit through.

giphy.gif

Tell me, does Fight Club promote anarchism and/or fascism in your opinion.

Jokergrin

Rey's theme
March of the Resistance
The Jedi Steps

were all very memorable to me

Tobor

Sly deserves to win. Go Rocky!

Also, The Martian for best picture? Really? Take that out and swap in Creed.

mattp

i LOVE rey's theme, and i think the force awakens score is good. but, it totally stole fury road's spot just because it's john williams

BowieZ

Banned
Is the new star wars score really that good ?
Go on. Give it a listen!

"Rey's Theme"
"The Scavenger"
"Scherzo for X-Wings"
"March of the Resistance"
"The Abduction"
"The Ways of the Force"
"Han and Leia"
"Farewell and The Trip"
"The Jedi Steps & Finale"

i LOVE rey's theme, and i think the force awakens score is good. but, it totally stole fury road's spot just because it's john williams
Hmm. If I had to pick I'd take out Carol's score... it's decent, but a bit middling... it's very Carter Burwell with that simple charming chamber music sound. Nothing overtly special about it but it's fine I guess. Think Star Wars and Fury Road are both far superior.

pixelish

interesting stats from the hollywood reporter

If any film other than The Big Short or Spotlight wins best picture, it will be the first time in 20 years — since 1995's Braveheart — that the prize went to a film that wasn't nominated for the best ensemble SAG Award.

While the film with the most Oscar noms often wins best picture, The Revenant, which leads the field with 12, will need to defy a lot of history to be this year's winner, as only seven films ever have won without a screenplay nom, including only one in the last 50 years, Titanic (1997). The others: Wings (1927/1928), The Broadway Melody (1928/1929), Grand Hotel (1931/1932), Cavalcade (1932/1933), Hamlet (1948) and The Sound of Music (1965).

I'll be happy if Miller wins best director and mad max wins a decent amount of technical awards. There's no way in hell a bunch of old men will ignore an Oscar bait movie for best movie of the year though so I fully expect that to go to one of those.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I thought Tom Hardy was the most impressive actor in The Revenant. I honestly couldn't even "see" him in the role. He lost himself in that one. Leo was good too, but Leo is always good. It wasn't his best performance, but I wouldn't be mad if he finally got the Oscar. I still think he should have won for Django. He was over the top in the best way with that one.

Glad that Fury Road got so many nods. It's now my personal pick for BP since Inside Out didn't get the nom, but I doubt it will win.

The Revenant is set to dominate. I'm OK with it winning BP, but most of all I hope Leo finally gets his Oscar.

Best Music - Original Score

Thomas Newman, Bridge of Spies
Carter Burwell, Carol
Ennis Morricone, The Hateful Eight
Jóhann Jóhannsson, Sicario
John Williams, Star Wars: The Force Awakens (nomination #50!)

Newman did a good late '90s Williams impersonation on Bridge of Spies.
Burwell should probably win this category as that Carol score is fucking beautiful.
Morricone should probably finish second based solely on the overture for Hateful alone
Williams' score was very good (in a very Revenge of the Sith/Harry Potter 2 sort of way), but it and Sicario's scores maybe shouldn't be in the running.

I think I might have put Mad Max: Fury Road, and Creed's scores in there instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom