• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2016 |OT| 5:30am PT Thur Jan 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

He was nominated for Wolf of Wall Street, Blood Diamond, The Aviator, and What's Eating Gilbert Grape. He didn't deserve an Oscar for any of them.

I don't know about any of the other ones, but I really don't understand how he got nominated at all for Blood Diamond. Even back then, everyone was scratching their head on how that was worthy of being nominated in the first place, especially with everyone agreeing that he did better work in The Departed.

This is Leos year. I can feel it.

Kate Winslet will be there to hug him.
I am waiting for this.

I've loved every movie Leonardo's been in, but I haven't seen many of them in a long time. Can someone tell me if they think he was really deserving of some Oscars in the past? Did someone else receive it in his place when he was the more deserving one? For what movies?

I haven't seen Jamie Foxx's Ray, but maybe that wasn't as good as Leo's Howard Hughs?(2005)

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Revenant is set do dominate.

Best picture
Best didector
Best actor
Best cinematography
Best visual effects
Best sound design
Best editing

Damn, Reys theme is really good... But Ennio deserves his first Oscar... I will say that the only music that stood out to me when I watched Star Wars was the old classics, while Ennios music could not be ignored.

Here's a condensed version for some reason of the main theme. Skips the buildup sadly.
https://youtu.be/-3vP799NtvA

BkMogul

Glad for Hardy and Leo. They should win their respective categories. Revenant taking home all the important stuff. Sorry guys.

I really don't understand DiCaprio, to be honest he's not a very nuanced actor, he knows how to scream, and do bad accents. The movies he's in are good not because he's a greater actor, but because of the great directors he works with.

I know not many people on GAF have seen it, but Spotlight almost definitely has the Best Picture category on lock. I was thinking it would be between Spotlight and Carol, and Carol didn't even get nominated. I doubt they give it to Inaritu two years in a row, I still need to go see The Revenant though so I can't fully judge that.

The Force Awakens should have been nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay

P8Mc343.gif

BkMogul

I should mention, Ruffalo was fantastic in Spotlight so he could definitely make some noise. I wouldn't be upset with that win

I've loved every movie Leonardo's been in, but I haven't seen many of them in a long time. Can someone tell me if they think he was really deserving of some Oscars in the past? Did someone else receive it in his place when he was the more deserving one? For what movies?

1993: Leo was a teen kid actor playing a mentally challenged kid, while Tommy Lee Jones won for the Fugitive. I love Tommy Lee Jones and this was his breakout role, so I had no problem with it. Then again, he also beat Ralph Fiennes who played the villain in Schindler's List, which should have definitely won.

2002: He wasn't nominated for it, but I really, really liked him in Catch Me If You Can.

2004: I never saw the Aviator, but he lost that time to Jamie Foxx playing Ray Charles in Ray, who I felt did deserve the award. EDIT: I could see the argument for Leo winning though.

2006: I didn't think he was all that great in Blood Diamond, plus Forest Whitaker was outstanding as Idi Amin in The Last King of Scotland. No way in hell anybody was going to beat him.

2007: He got snubbed for his role in The Departed, but that movie was stacked with actors. Kinda crazy that Markie Mark was the only actor nominated though.

2013: This was probably Leo's year for Wolf of Wall Street. Matthew McConaughey DID rob someone of that Oscar, but it wasn't just Leo. I thought Chiwetel Ejiofor in 12 Years A Slave deserved the Oscar that year.

Leo was also excellent in Django Unchained, but he didn't even give the best performance in that movie. Samuel L. Jackson did.

By all accounts, this should be Leo's year, unless the Academy decides to troll by giving it to Matt Damon or something. I love Bryan Cranston, but did he fight a bear?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I know not many people on GAF have seen it, but Spotlight almost definitely has the Best Picture category on lock. I was thinking it would be between Spotlight and Carol, and Carol didn't even get nominated. I doubt they give it to Inaritu two years in a row, I still need to go see The Revenant though so I can't fully judge that.
I think The Revanant and Spotlight are probably the favorites, but The Big Short could be surprise winner.

jmizzal

Happy to see Straight Outta Compton get a nod for screen play

But disappointed no Will Smith or Idris Elba

Yes I want to see blacks get recognition

Idris Elba snub is ridiculous

Eidan

The real injustice is that he was made to run as the supporting actor in The Departed by execs and thus he couldn't get it. He should have been considered the lead. Blood Diamond was his weaker performance that year.

His biggest legit snub is Django IMO. I love that movie and Waltz, but Waltz already got an oscar for playing the exact same role in IB. Leo was the one who really killed it in DU.

No, that was SLJ, but I agree that DiCaprio should have gotten a nod over Waltz.

BowieZ

Banned
Damn, Reys theme is really good... But Ennio deserves his first Oscar... I will say that the only music that stood out to me when I watched Star Wars was the old classics, while Ennios music could not be ignored.
See, that's a double-edged sword of his score for The Force Awakens. He wrote this incredible, but admittedly contemplative and delicate theme for Rey, and it is woven all across the film in majestic inspired ways, but because it isn't in-your-face, people didn't really pick up on it and presumed the score was bad.

It really isn't. Also, once again, people overlook Williams' ability to perfectly sit within the film and not stand out too much. It does its job so well.

Not that crazy, it's a great score.
It is definitely great, but instead of Williams? Nah.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Maybe not. Larson had the best performance out of everyone in that Category, but that's not always what the voters go for.

I was actually somewhat underwhelmed with Larson's performance (which isn't to say I think it's bad), but I can't in good conscience say that Ronan deserves the win, as much as I'd like to see that happen, since I've not yet seen Brooklyn for myself thanks to the relatively ridiculous release date.

Winter's Bone was the last time she acted.

This has long been my opinion, too. She more or less stopped caring once she hit the big time.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I was actually somewhat underwhelmed with Larson's performance (which isn't to say I think it's bad), but I can't in good conscience say that Ronan deserves the win, as much as I'd like to see that happen, since I've not yet seen Brooklyn for myself thanks to the relatively ridiculous release date.
as much as I want to cheer Saoirse on, I am afraid an might not.

Female Leo effect.

I liked Silver Linings but Lawrence wasn't doing the same character over again, like she has been doing since.

Shadownet

Banned
At this point, the old crazy cat lady down the street deserve the Oscar more than Jennifer Lawrence. I'm sure she's a great person, but she just isn't deserving.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
At this point, the old crazy cat lady down the street deserve the Oscar more than Jennifer Lawrence. I'm sure she's a great person, but she just isn't deserving.
There is a 0% of her winning this year. It's Brie Larson most likely, with a tiny chance of Cate Blanchett.

Ridley327

He screams in that movie, acts like an asshole, and does physical comedy. Very nuanced performance.

Ah yes, the category that's handed out awards to such performances as Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman and nominated the likes of Laurence Olivier for The Boys from Brazil is so well known for rewarding nuance.

At least the role of Jordan Belfort actually called for that kind of performance.

He screams in that movie, acts like an asshole, and does physical comedy. Very nuanced performance.

If you're not seeing the nuances to Jordan Belfort's character. The insecurities, the fear, the doubt Leo brought out of the role, you're not paying close enough attention. Anybody can yell and be loud. But not everyone can give it complexity. It's what separates Daniel Day Lewis from Gerard Butler

zma1013

So Star Wars got a music nom? I like John Williams but I can't remember a single piece of the music from TFA. Nothing stood out beyond the brief moments they played the older movies music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom