• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2016 |OT| 5:30am PT Thur Jan 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowieZ

Banned
I'm pretty sure Morricone has score on lock
Indeed it does.

It's a (very small) shame because some of the other scores in the category are much more deserving masterpieces in their own rights, whereas Morricone did some great but rather minor work in comparison. Otherwise, I'm generally pleased he will win a competitive Oscar finally.

Why is Rooney Mara in best supporting actress and Cate Blanchett in best actress? It should be the other way around! Rooney Mara is the main character of that film!

Studios can campaign for actors/actresses to be put in certain categories, but ultimately it's up to the Actor's Branch of the Academy to vote them. I'm sure Rooney Mara received votes for the Lead Actress category as well.

Ridley327

hateful eight didn't get nominated not because of its bleak story (even though there are many other bleaker films that have won best picture) but rather, it wasn't that well received by critics and industry members to garner a nomination for the film and tarantino.

The Revenant has roughly the same level of critical appraisal, though I'd be the first person to agree that it's certainly an easier sell for a lot of people than The Hateful Eight.

FWIW, I'm not even upset that the film getting snubbed. I actually anticipated that it wouldn't be getting terribly too much love beyond some technical awards and the expected Jennifer Jason Leigh nomination. I think it was clear that this was a film more for Tarantino, and TWC seemed to position it at about the right place for something like that.

Toxi

Banned
Exactly my thoughts. I'm pretty sure the last time there was an Animated Feature winner outside of the big American animated studios was Spirited Away.

It sucks, because Inside Out was SO GODDAMN GOOD. And it DOES deserve this award, unlike other years where the Academy just gave it to whichever movie they recognized. Seeing it as the sole recognizable nominee in a group of very, very diverse films really makes the problem stick out though.

They finally get a great set of nominees, and it's the one year where Pixar finally has an outstanding film again. It's like all of those times Leo pulled out an amazing performance, but ended up being in the same category as Daniel Day Lewis or someone else doing a legendary performance.
Actual quote from Oscar voter for best animated movie.
Voter #5: I only watch the ones that my kid wants to see, so I didn’t see [The] Boxtrolls but I saw Big Hero 6 and I saw [How to Train Your] Dragon [2]. We both connected to Big Hero 6 — I just found it to be more satisfying. The biggest snub for me was Chris Miller and Phil Lord not getting in for [The] Lego [Movie]. When a movie is that successful and culturally hits all the right chords and does that kind of box-office — for that movie not to be in over these two obscure freakin’ Chinese fuckin’ things that nobody ever freakin’ saw [an apparent reference to the Japanese film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as well as the Irish film Song of the Sea]? That is my biggest bitch. Most people didn’t even know what they were! How does that happen? That, to me, is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen.

MY VOTE: Big Hero 6

Exactly my thoughts. I'm pretty sure the last time there was an Animated Feature winner outside of the big American animated studios was Spirited Away.

It sucks, because Inside Out was SO GODDAMN GOOD. And it DOES deserve this award, unlike other years where the Academy just gave it to whichever movie they recognized. Seeing it as the sole recognizable nominee in a group of very, very diverse films really makes the problem stick out though.

They finally get a great set of nominees, and it's the one year where Pixar finally has an outstanding film again. It's like all of those times Leo pulled out an amazing performance, but ended up being in the same category as Daniel Day Lewis or someone else doing a legendary performance.

Putting aside I thought Inside Out was good but a weaker Pixar movie, I agree with what you are saying about it sucks how Pixar automatically wins. I think there was a different movie that won after Spirited Away. Didn't Persepolis get the award?

Edit: Oh fuck that guy quoted above me. Jesus Christ what a stigma there is on animated films not made by fucking Pixar and DreamWorks.

AHA-Lambda

Studios can campaign for actors/actresses to be put in certain categories, but ultimately it's up to the Actor's Branch of the Academy to vote them. I'm sure Rooney Mara received votes for the Lead Actress category as well.

WB threw all their weight behind Fury Road. If they went for both, both would lose.

I think Stallone has it on lock too.

I may be missing something, so forgive my ignorance, but can the studios only represent their own films to a certain degree?

i.e. support a number of films to the academy or just one but with more support?

AHA-Lambda

Can't say i agree with his assessment at all, just cos a film performed poorly means it shouldn't be recognised?

They can do multiples, but it'll hurt their chances.

That's weird, never knew that! Doesn't sound entirely fair

So if WB were to put forward more than one movie for nomination, it hurt their chances to win? Why?

WB threw all their weight behind Fury Road. If they went for both, both would lose.
Oh, alright. That explains a lot.
Shame anyway. I don't want to talk down the cinematography of Mad Max but I was absolutely floored from the one in Creed. These long cuts, even in the ring, were absolutely incredible.

Toxi

Banned
Putting aside I thought Inside Out was good but a weaker Pixar movie, I agree with what you are saying about it sucks how Pixar automatically wins. I think there was a different movie that won after Spirited Away. Didn't Persepolis get the award?
No, Ratatoullie won that year.

BBC's emoji game on point.

dsuXjaU.jpg

Ridley327

I may be missing something, so forgive my ignorance, but can the studios only represent their own films to a certain degree?

i.e. support a number of films to the academy or just one but with more support?

There's only so much money you could realistically spend on films that aren't in theaters. Something has to give on that level of promotion.

Judging by what you had said before, I just KNEW you had seen those leaked comments from Oscar voters about animated films in 2015.

Maybe the Academy realized that they got caught with their pants down last year and decided to actually try this time? I'm hoping that voters at least saw Anomalisa since it has a respected name like Charlie Kaufman attached to it.

I'm looking forward/dreading another set of leaks after this year's awards lol.

Actually the big snub from Hateful Eight is probably Samuel Jackson, who gave a potentially career highlight performance in that movie.

I mean they campaign by taking out ads and writing press releases and letters. More often than not, each studio only has 1 or 2 movies that they think has a good shot to win a bunch of awards, so they have to focus on those. There's not a written rule that studio PR abid by, just a matter of time/resources.

AHA-Lambda

There's only so much money you could realistically spend on films that aren't in theaters. Something has to give on that level of promotion.

I mean they campaign by taking out ads and writing press releases and letters. More often than not, each studio only has 1 or 2 movies that they think has a good shot to win a bunch of awards, so they have to focus on those. There's not a written rule that studio PR abid by, just a matter of time/resources.

K, right I understand, thanks for clearing that up.

Schattenjäger;192165923 said:
My boy Idris got overlooked

Is it because Netflix?

I can see the Academy bias against the small screen. This award's main aim is to promote the industry (and bigger budget spectacles).

Griss

I'll have to watch those other animated films to have something to root for because I thought Inside Out was desperately mediocre and one of Pixar's weakest.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I've loved every movie Leonardo's been in, but I haven't seen many of them in a long time. Can someone tell me if they think he was really deserving of some Oscars in the past? Did someone else receive it in his place when he was the more deserving one? For what movies?

No, Ratatoullie won that year.

Well... I guess that helps prove the point. Although Ratatouille is like top 3 Pixar and my favorite.

I'll have to watch those other animated films to have something to root for because I thought Inside Out was desperately mediocre and one of Pixar's weakest.
Yup, starts strong and has a great premise but boy does it sag near the middle.

Shadownet

Banned
My choices
Disclaimer: I haven't seen The Revenant yet, but that should be the only big movie I haven't seen. I plan on fixing that very soon.

Best Picture
Mad Max: Fury Road

Best Director
George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road

Best Actor
Matt Damon, The Martian
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
(I'm fine with either one winning)

Best Actress
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

Best Supporting Actor
Tom Hardy, The Revenant

Best Supporting Actress
Alician Vikander, The Danish Girl

Best Music - Original Score
John Williams, Star Wars: The Force Awakens (nomination #50!)

Best Music - Original Song
“Writing’s on the Wall,” Spectre - Music and Lyric by Jimmy Napes and Sam Smith

Best Original Screenplay
Inside Out - Screenplay by Pete Docter, Meg LeFauve, Josh Cooley; Original story by Pete Docter, Ronnie del Carmen

Best Adapted Screenplay
The Martian - Screenplay by Drew Goddard

Best Animated Feature
Inside Out - Pete Docter and Jonas Rivera

Best Film Editing
Mad Max: Fury Road - Margaret Sixel

Best Visual Effects
Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan and Chris Corbould

Best Cinematography
Mad Max: Fury Road - John Seale

Best Production Design
Mad Max: Fury Road - Colin Gibson (Production Design); Lisa Thompson (Set Decoration)
The Martian - Arthur Max (Production Design); Celia Bobak (Set Decoration)
(either one)

Best Costume Design
The Danish Girl - Paco Delgado
Mad Max: Fury Road - Jenny Beavan
(either one)

Best Makeup & Hairstyling
Mad Max: Fury Road - Lesley Vanderwalt, Elka Wardega and Damian Martin

Best Sound Mixing
Mad Max: Fury Road - Chris Jenkins, Gregg Rudloff and Ben Osmo
The Martian - Paul Massey, Mark Taylor and Mac Ruth
(either one)

Best Sound Editing
Mad Max: Fury Road - Mark Mangini and David White
The Martian - Oliver Tarney
(either one)

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Oh hell fucking yes! Soooo happy to see my man Tom Hardy get that Best Supporting actor nod. He fucking deserves it man. I am so torn on who I want to win between him and Stallone, but I think I'm pulling for Hardy. He was unbelievable in the Revenant. Best villain of the year imo

and yeah, Leo is getting that Oscar. You can bet the house on it.

pixelish

On topic, it seems to me the Academy is more concern about TV viewership of their little show than in actually being a respected awards show to award talent.
what? many of the films nominated are considered to be some of the year's best so idk what you're trying to get at.

and regarding no black nominees, yes it's a shame that compton/creed/tangerine etc didn't get enough recognition but they are bound to happen when you only have such limited amount of spots in each category. i'm pretty sure compton was really close to getting a bp nod since it was nominated at the producers guild of america award.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I've loved every movie Leonardo's been in, but I haven't seen many of them in a long time. Can someone tell me if they think he was really deserving of some Oscars in the past? Did someone else receive it in his place when he was the more deserving one? For what movies?
He was nominated for Wolf of Wall Street, Blood Diamond, The Aviator, and What's Eating Gilbert Grape. He didn't deserve an Oscar for any of them.

An-Det

Nice to see that these are finally out so I can focus on what I need to see over the next week. Really awesome to see Stallone get the nomination, I'm torn on whether he should win (haven't seen Spotlight yet and Tom Hardy was fucking great), but I could definitely see it. Here's hoping Leonardo "have you seen the shit I'll do for a fucking Oscar" Dicaprio finally gets his due, he was fantastic in The Revenant and none of the others really stand out as a strong challenger.

From the films I have seen so far, I'm rather surprised Bridge of Spies got the Best Picture nomination. It was enjoyable and well done, but nothing really stood out to me to elevate it.

Kinyou

I was surprised to not see Knight of cups nominated for best cinematography, but apparently isn't that movie making it to the US until March 2016. Emmanuel Lubezki is probably even happy about it since now he doesn't have to compete with himself.

AHA-Lambda

Well if we're doing lists now

Best Picture: Mad Max

Best Actor: Michael Fassbender

Best Actress: Saoirse Ronan

Best Supporting Actor: Mark Rylance

Best Supporting Actress: Kate Winslet

But unfortunately I've still not seen a bunch of the nominees cos the UK release schedule sucks ass every Oscar season. I actually wonder why that is?

nynt9

He was nominated for Wolf of Wall Street, Blood Diamond, The Aviator, and What's Eating Gilbert Grape. He didn't deserve an Oscar for any of them.

The real injustice is that he was made to run as the supporting actor in The Departed by execs and thus he couldn't get it. He should have been considered the lead. Blood Diamond was his weaker performance that year.

His biggest legit snub is Django IMO. I love that movie and Waltz, but Waltz already got an oscar for playing the exact same role in IB. Leo was the one who really killed it in DU.

We'll ignore Who's Eating Gilbert Grape.

He's lost to Jamie Foxx in Ray; Forest Whitaker in Last King of Scotland, and Matt McConaughey in Dallas Buyer's Club.

None of those were straight robberies, but I think they were pretty close calls, so to lose all three is kind of a bummer. Math says he probably should've won one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom