• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| of Lips

Manager

2zyh2bq.jpg

Info:
Publisher: Microsoft
Developer: iNiS Corp
Platforms: Xbox 360 exclusive
Release date: US 18th of Nov, Europe 21st
Price: £49.99 & $69.99

Microsoft PR:
Priced at a recommended retail price of £49.99, “Lips” is the only music video game that comes with two wireless motion-sensitive microphones, allowing you the freedom to put your own spin on a song and not trip over any cumbersome wires as you dance around your living room. You can even get other people involved in your songs by having them playing percussion with your Xbox 360 controllers.

41bn6.jpg

Multiplayer:
But why have one singer when you can have two people equally embarassing themselves with bad singing? Lips supports drop-in gameplay with the two mics, and it couldn't possibly be more seamless. The second player just picks up the other mic off the table, and a few seconds later, they're singing to their heart's content. The game registers the activation of the second player just based on the action of picking up the micrphone. There are no button presses, no special options to configure, no fancy pauses. It just drops the second player right in, giving them a few seconds to get their bearings in the song, and away they go.

The multiplayer fun doesn't stop there, though. In addition to the two microphones, the game supports four Xbox 360 controllers, allowing a quartet of non-singers as accompanying players. You can play the maracas, tambourine, or clap your hands using the various face buttons on the controller. Lips supports up to six players at once, with no special configuration of any kind.
Source

Pre-order bonus:
Eggo said:
You should mention the supposed pre-order offer with Gamestop and Amazon.com. If you pre-order with them, you get 8 free DLC songs within the first two months. Microsoft chooses which songs you get, but still pretty cool for a pre-order bonus. When I went to a Gamestop to pre-order, they had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned it (the original story was on IGN).

Track lists:
UK:
1 No One - Alicia Keys
2 Stand By Me - Ben E. King
3 Irreplaceable - Beyoncé
4 Call Me - Blondie
5 Boogie 2Nite - Booty Luv
6 With You - Chris Brown
7 Yellow - Coldplay
8 Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode
9 Survivor - Destiny’s Child
10 White Flag - Dido
11 Mercy - Duffy
12 Hungry Like The Wolf - Duran Duran
13 An End Has A Start - Editors
14 It's Raining Men - Geri Halliwell
15 Virtual Insanity - Jamiroquai
16 Ring Of Fire - Johnny Cash
17 Ruby - Kaiser Chiefs
18 Suddenly I See - KT Tunstall
19 Love At First Sight - Kylie Minogue
20 Bleeding Love - Leona Lewis
21 Superstar - Lupe Fiasco (feat. Matthew Santos)
22 Makes Me Wonder - Maroon 5
23 Rome Wasn't Built In A Day - Morcheeba
24 In Bloom - Nirvana
25 Young Folks - Peter Bjorn And John
26 Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
27 Fake Plastic Trees - Radiohead
28 I Wanna Be Sedated - Ramones
29 Umbrella - Rihanna
30 Listen To Your Heart - Roxette
31 Amazing - Seal
32 Put 'Em High - Stonebridge
33 Song For Whoever - The Beautiful South
34 Just Like Heaven - The Cure
35 ABC - The Jackson 5
36 Naïve - The Kooks
37 Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic - The Police
38 I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - The Proclaimers
39 Love In A Trashcan - The Raveonettes
40 Bust A Move - Young MC

US:
a-ha "Take on Me"
Nirvana "In Bloom"
Alicia Keys "No One"
Peter Bjorn and John "Young Folks"
Aly & AJ "Potential Break Up Song"
Queen "Another One Bites the Dust"
Avril Lavigne "Complicated"
R.E.M. "The One I Love"
Ben E. King "Stand by Me"
Radiohead "Fake Plastic Trees"
Beyonce "Irreplaceable"
The Ramones "I Wanna Be Sedated"
Blondie "Call Me"
Rascal Flatts "Stand"
Chris Brown "With You"
Rihanna "Umbrella"
Coldplay "Yellow"
Roxette "Listen to Your Heart"
Depeche Mode "Personal Jesus"
Sara Bareilles "Love Song"
Destiny's Child "Survivor"
Sheryl Crow "Soak Up the Sun"
Dido "White Flag"
Taylor Swift "I'm Only Me When I'm With You"
Duffy "Mercy"
The Bangles "Walk Like an Egyptian"
Duran Duran "Hungry Like the Wolf"
The Fray "Over My Head (Cable Car)"
John Denver "Take Me Home, Country Roads"
The Jackson 5 "ABC"
Johnny Cash "Ring of Fire"
The Police "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"
Leona Lewis "Bleeding Love"
The Raveonettes "Love in a Trashcan"
Lil' Mama "Lip Gloss"
Trace Adkins "Ladies Love Country Boys"
Lupe Fiasco (featuring Matthew Santos) "Superstar"
Weezer "Island in the Sun"
Maroon 5 "Makes Me Wonder"
Young MC "Bust a Move"

Wikipedia track lists for the rest of the world

DLC:
Price: 160p
Week One Global Content; available November 21
○ Adele – Chasing Pavements
○ Estelle – No Substitute Love
○ Jason Mraz – The Remedy (I Won’t Worry)
○ Coldplay – Violet Hill
* Ace of Base - The Sign
* Aha - Take on Me (free)

Week Two Global Content; available November 28
○ Supertramp – Give a Little Bit
○ Smash Mouth – All Star
○ Vanessa Carlton – A Thousand Miles

Week Three, available December 5
The Dredel Song by Sister Hazel
Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley
The Most Wonderful Time of the Year by Andy Williams

Interface:
2ccww1.jpg

1zodjjr.jpg

6r7km9.jpg

More images
E308 developer video interview
E308 gameplay video
November 13th video demonstration

GAF threads:
First thread, details leaked
That Photoshop thread
Track lists

Links:
Official website
Wikipedia

Reviews:
Eurogamer - 5/10
Videogamer - 8/10
Kikizo - 8/10
Gamespot - 6.5/10
Gamerankings

Previews:
Eurogamer - November 7th
IGN - 12th of November
Gamespy November 12th
1Up November 14th
Forum impressions

2uj32ad.jpg

Karaoke 3.0? really?

I'm might pick this up. So far the song list has a few things I like, I'm just hoping there is good DLC lined up.

Manager

Linkzg said:
Karaoke 3.0? really?

Singstar is seen as karaoke 2.0, and apperently this is a huge step-up (for a music game). Though I wonder if I actually will use the motion sensor features myself...

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
You should mention the supposed pre-order offer with Gamestop and Amazon.com. If you pre-order with them, you get 8 free DLC songs within the first two months. Microsoft chooses which songs you get, but still pretty cool for a pre-order bonus. When I went to a Gamestop to pre-order, they had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned it (the original story was on IGN). I then knocked over a magazine rack and pre-ordered with Amazon.

bryehn

If the mics work in other games I'll bite, but I'm already pretty much tied up with SingStar, my library is huge.

Wollan

Manager said:
Singstar is seen as karaoke 2.0, and apperently this is a huge step-up (for a music game). Though I wonder if I actually will use the motion sensor features myself...
I don't see how ditching the biggest aspect of next gen SingStar is helping. I don't believe there is a video network for Lipz?

Something inside makes me want to buy this... but I really don't like karaoke. But it's shiny and I must buy it. But I hate singing in front of people. But it looks like fun...

Back later. I have to go and re-educate myself. :lol

Manager

Wollan said:
I don't see how ditching the biggest aspect of next gen SingStar is helping. I don't believe there is a video network for Lipz?

That is so not the biggest aspect of Singstar! I don't think I've ever used it.

Eggo said:
You should mention the supposed pre-order offer with Gamestop and Amazon.com.

Thanks, done

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Skiptastic said:
Oh GOD FUCKING DAMMIT. Microsoft, get this shit taken care of or NO BUY.

Lips is, by far, the best microphone I've ever used, too. It's a shame. I'd love to dump my other mics.

eXxy said:
Lips is, by far, the best microphone I've ever used, too. It's a shame. I'd love to dump my other mics.

Well, I may end up retracting my "NO BUY" because I love the Singstar games and would love to get one for the 360, which this pretty much is, and I'd love a nice mic.

But come on! MS got all those guitars and shit to work across the multiple games, but they couldn't get THEIR mic to work on the two BIGGEST music rhythm games on their console? Come the FUCK ON.

painey

I hope the topic edit was to remove that 3.0 shit and not add it.

Anyway, as big of a joke this is, im looking forward to it just because i enjoy singing into mics, even though I have to falsetto :lol

edit: no rockband mic support?! fuck that! im not paying 50 squid for 2 shitty mics for one game.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I've said from the start that with SIX FUCKING USB MICS SO FAR I am not buying a bundle for this game.. no hell no way.

Sucks also because I can honestly say I like the singing interface better than Singstar (it is a very very similar interface to what Disney used on their newest Sing It game.. very nice..)

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
painey said:
I hope the topic edit was to remove that 3.0 shit and not add it.

Anyway, as big of a joke this is, im looking forward to it just because i enjoy singing into mics, even though I have to falsetto :lol

edit: no rockband mic support?! fuck that! im not paying 50 squid for 2 shitty mics for one game.

According to a previous report, these "2 shitty mics" are the best mics we've seen in a video game. I'm not happy with having 6 mics in my living room either, but I think the onus is on Harmonix and Neversoft to support the Lips mic, not the other way around. It's the game that has to support the hardware.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Eggo said:
According to a previous report, these "2 shitty mics" are the best mics we've seen in a video game. I'm not happy with having 6 mics in my living room either, but I think the onus is on Harmonix and Neversoft to support the Lips mic, not the other way around. It's the game that has to support the hardware.
BS. With MS pushing "cross compatibility" as much as they supposedly have been, there is NO EXCUSE for them to a) not support the half dozen games for their system that already come with USB mics and b) force a bundle on us users that already have those half dozen mics.

You are correct that it is up to HMX and Neversoft at this point to support Lips mics in those games for Lips players who later on decide to buy GHWT or RB2... but as it stands right now, MS is a bunch of fucking hypocrites... "All peripherals have to work with all similar games, except for our peripherals and games which don't have to work with shit. P.S. We are only going to sell a bundle for our copy cat game of which there are already half a dozen similar such games out for our console. PEACE"

Fuck MS. bunch of fucking hypocrites.

Costanza

Banned
I don't think I can bring myself to spend 70 dollars on this just to sing Island In The Sun.

hrm, it's tempting though.

Costanza

Banned
BTW, MS just sent me an email about this and it mentions the pre-order bonus.

It's not 8 free DLC songs, but 8 free Zune Marketplace downloads.

jsh5yh.jpg

Manager

Bah. What made that DLC offer sound so good was the fact that they would have DLC up soon.
What's the word on the DLC store? I hope there just won't be a Marketplace blade for the downloadable songs.

soco

i'm pretty sure we knew ages ago that these weren't going to be DLC songs, but just normal zune store songs.

i think the price is like 20$ too high for this, but i'm surprised so many people aren't going to get this because the mics won't work in rock band yet. i wouldn't be surprised if they already have the specs to make it work with those games, just that they haven't either done the patch yet.

D3VI0US

Sucks that the mic won't work with Rock Band, if they patch it so it will I will buy it just for a wireless mic.

Why was the cool guy removed from the cover? ;(

and :lol @ I keep thinking the title said LISP.

EDIT: I prefer the UK tracklist. WTF is up with the shitty US one?!

exwallst

harmonix won't support this unless it's a decent hit (or MS pays/barters Viacom). I predict too many people wait/don't buy and it never happens.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
MS needs to beat the shit outta Harmonix to make this work with RB. I still might get it though cos I love singing when I'm hammered.

Manager

One thing that is seriously irritating is the fact that we're two days away from release, and they still haven't said a word on DLC price. IGN states there will be songs available first day, but still no word on price.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The improvements to the actual way the game grades your voice sound really great. I wish they had released this here :/

The USA one is apparently region free though.

Top Bottom