• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Concord (beta) review from the biggest Live Service fanboy known to man...

mdkirby

Heck considering they started development in 2018, I bet their pitch was “let’s have a first party answer to Overwatch ready for PS5 launch window”
Sure, and I can see that initial pitch being somewhat impressive…a lot will have changed in the interim, it’s what were their subsequent presentations that kept their game alive, or just how bad were naughty dogs that it killed theirs?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I did read a post somewhere explaining that PlayStation purchased Firewalk based on a 10 year outline, not necessarily Concord. It's possible PlayStation expected minimal performance out of Concord but were interested in games #2/#3 from them.
If that is true, I find that odd unless those future games in pre-dev are blockbusters which impressed Sony execs.

Sony bought them in 2023 when Concord was in full swing dev. If Firewalk and Sony arent serious about Concord, but are focusing on games 2 or 3 as the headturner games (which I'd assume arent Concord sequels and wouldnt come out for another 4 years or 8 years), thats some hardcore studio investment to buy them out last year.

Last edited:
Forcing people to play classes that they don’t want to play as one if the game’s main gameplay mechanics sounds like a bad idea to me.

Every class better be REALLY awesome, or the game will just bore or piss everyone off.

( I don’t think they succeeded in making them all awesome. )

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
America developed planes that were superior to the Zero in a few short years during WWII. They didn't make a crappier version of the Zero.

Firewalk needed to make a superior 5v5 shooter. They had the time and resources to do it but whiffed big.

True, but thats no easy feat. multiplayer is such a hit or miss, I don't know of any MP game that I can say for sure will 100% knock it out of the park, its so random with that genre I honestly don't have much predictions.
Concord's characters lack the charm and personality of Overwatch'
ehhh I disagree, its a subjective thing and I like how they've made the characters.
From what I've played of Concord, there's absolutely no sense of team work. I'm sure this will change as people learn the game
True, but thats like most early MP games in beta or something, so many lone wolves.

I wish I had the time to jump into this game, but it might have to wait till next year (if its even still a thing by then, but who knows)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
America developed planes that were superior to the Zero in a few short years during WWII. They didn't make a crappier version of the Zero.

Firewalk needed to make a superior 5v5 shooter. They had the time and resources to do it but whiffed big.
True, but thats no easy feat. multiplayer is such a hit or miss, I don't know of any MP game that I can say for sure will 100% knock it out of the park, its so random with that genre I honestly don't have much predictions.
Comes down to expectations to me.

If Sony/Firewalk are expecting major GAAS hits like any big hitter then ya they better find the right combo of quality, marketing and price. It'll be tough slog charging $40 for a meh game, which I think for most people doesn't have the greatest art style to begin with

I dont think those MP games like Enlisted and those other similar WWI/WWII budget shooters expect millions of copies sold. They seem fine catering to a dedicated group of gamers. There's no way those games have tons of gamers.

It'd be interesting to ever know what their corporate expectations are for the game. I'm hoping they arent expecting Helldivers 2 numbers.

Cyberpunkd

Where will this game be on Steam after 4 months? 1k - 2k average players.
awkward office space GIF

Top Bottom