• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| of Lips

EYEL1NER

tirant said:
Bought Lips a couple of months ago: it's my first singing game ever. Me and my girlfriend like it a lot but there's still a lot of room for improvement:

- Lips Store is SLOW as hell.
- There's not enough songs in spanish and other languages (italian, french...)
- Lady Gaga songs are quite old, we need some new songs like Alejandro and Telephone!!
Agreed on new Gaga tracks, but not for Alejandro. I don't see more Gaga happening though.

I recommend you import (provided you aren't in the UK, I imported for cheap from GAME) Lips: I (heart) the 80s! IMO it has the best setlist so far. There are a couple 80's songs I don't really care for, but with New Order and Frankie Goes to Hollywood, I'm digging on it. I own all of them except the Dutsch and Latin versions.

Portalbox

I'm a huge Lips fan, I own:
-Lips US version
-Lips UK version
-Lips ES version
-Number One Hits
-Party Classics
-Canta en Español
-I Love The 80s (on the way!)

But I think they need to get their stuff together next month and release DLC that people actually want, not random stuff :(

woodypop

EYEL1NER said:
The wife will probably want the Chicago song and maybe I'll get the Seal song, but what I want to know is what happened to the Jason Derulo song at the end of July? On Saturday I updated the Lips, PC, N1H, & IHt80s discs and didn't see that song in the list.
Was there even an update July 30th? I didn't see the Pat Benatar tracks either.

EYEL1NER

woodypop said:
Was there even an update July 30th? I didn't see the Pat Benatar tracks either.
I didn't see those. The tracks the game was advertising as being the newest were the UB40 and Daniel Bedingfield ones.

EYEL1NER

lolmark said:
Hold up. Are the UK Lips games region free???
I believe they all are, but don't hold me to that.
I Heart the 80's is for sure though, and I believe when I was looking for Party Classics before picking it up on ebay, I read that it was region-free as well. I think they all are though.

Portalbox

Additional DLC (well, 1 song) was released today. It also comes from the "I Love The 80s" disc:
ABC - The Look Of Love

That leaves only 19 songs to be released and we'll have the whole game available as DLC...

Portalbox

EYEL1NER said:
I believe they all are, but don't hold me to that.
I Heart the 80's is for sure though, and I believe when I was looking for Party Classics before picking it up on ebay, I read that it was region-free as well. I think they all are though.

They all are region free.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Sing Along to some of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Classics, Exclusive to “LipsTM”

LONDON – 10 August 2010 - Fancy yourself as the as the new lead singer in timeless West End shows such as “Cats” or the “Phantom of the Opera”, wowing crowds and being a part of some of the greatest shows on earth?

The Really Useful Group, the international musical entertainment company founded in 1977 by composer and impresario Andrew Lloyd Webber, has just signed a licensing agreement with Microsoft as it continues to extend its portfolio of world-famous brands into the interactive entertainment sphere.

You can now live the dream with Xbox 360 with the launch of new downloadable “Lips” Game Add-ons featuring well-known film and stage performances of songs written by one of the most successful musical composers of all time, Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Douglas Glen, Head of Digital for The Really Useful Group says: “With the video gaming sector having evolved from its male-dominated roots towards a more family-oriented demographic, we’re very pleased to partner with Microsoft in releasing some of the best-known brands in musical entertainment to their global Lips audience”.

Dave McCarthy, General Manager LIVE services for Microsoft Game Studios, says: “We’re thrilled to bring the timeless and immensely popular music of Andrew Lloyd Webber to Lips players everywhere.”

From August 13th 2010, Lips players will be able to access the Andrew Lloyd Webber song packs through the ever expanding “Lips Music Library” (accessible through all titles in the “Lips” series) through Xbox LIVE, for as little as 160 Microsoft Points.

The following Game Add-ons will be available to download via Xbox LIVE:

August 13th
“Memory” - Elaine Paige (Cats)
“All I Ask of You” - Cliff Richard & Sarah Brightman (Phantom of the Opera)
“Love Changes Everything” - Michael Ball (Aspects of Love)

September 10th
“Don’t Cry For Me Argentina” - Elaine Paige (Evita)
“The Phantom of the Opera” - Steve Harley & Sarah Brightman (Phantom of the Opera)
“Any Dream Will Do” - Donny Osmond (Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat)

More information on “Lips” is available at www.xbox.com/lips.
omgomgomg

Portalbox

cjelly said:
September 10th
“Don’t Cry For Me Argentina” - Elaine Paige (Evita)
“The Phantom of the Opera” - Steve Harley & Sarah Brightman (Phantom of the Opera)
“Any Dream Will Do” - Donny Osmond (Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat)

The Phantom Of The Opera's main theme is epic :), thanks for sharing!

I also have something new to share with all of you, I'm trying to compile a list of DLC Sales just to see how well (or bad) this game is doing, you can check out my progress here:
http://lips.wikia.com/wiki/DLC_Sales

Hopefully you guys find it interesting.

komarkaze

Anyone having trouble accessing online leaderboards in #1 Hits? It's been over a month now where I sing something and get a score but it can't access leader servers. As a result, I get no trophies for my effort.

Portalbox

By the way, September is over, but for the sake of showing what was for sale last month, here's the DLC list:

Bad Day - Daniel Powter - 9/3/2010
Break Your Heart - Taio Cruz featuring Ludacris - 9/3/2010
Donuts, Go Nuts! (from 'Splosion Man) - Matt "Chainsaw" Chaney 9/3/2010
Don't Cry For Me, Argentina - Elaine Paige - 9/10/2010
The Phantom of the Opera - Steve Harley & Sarah Brightman - 9/10/2010
Song Pack - Andrew Lloyd Webber songs Vol. 2 - 9/10/2010
Any Dream Will Do - Donny Osmond - 9/10/2010
Losing My Religion - R.E.M. - 9/17/2010
Looking for a New Love - Jody Watley - 9/17/2010
Home - Michael Bublé - 9/24/2010
Everything - Michael Bublé - 9/24/2010
Haven't Met You Yet - Michael Bublé - 9/24/2010
Song Pack - Michael Bublé - 9/24/2010
I Will Possess Your Heart - Death Cab For Cutie - 9/24/2010
Song Pack - Death Cab For Cutie - 9/24/2010

Portalbox

October DLC

Shining Light - Ash 10/1/2010
1973 - James Blunt 10/1/2010
Airplanes - B.o.B. f/Hayley Williams of Paramore 10/1/2010

From Yesterday - 30 Seconds to Mars 10/8/2010
Nasty - Janet Jackson 10/8/2010
Secrets - One Republic 10/8/2010

Eternity - Robbie Williams 10/15/2010
You Were Meant For Me - Jewel 10/15/2010
Smile - Lily Allen 10/15/2010

I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love - Chicago 10/22/2010
Gotta Be Somebody - Nickelback 10/22/2010

One Time - Justin Bieber 10/29/2010
One Less Lonely Girl - Justin Bieber 10/29/2010
Welcome to the Black Parade - My Chemical Romance 10/29/2010

Portalbox

November DLC

November 5
In A Big Country - Big Country
Things Can Only Get Better - Howard Jones
In My Head - Jason Derulo

November 12
Crush - Jennifer Paige
Casanova - LeVert

November 19
Thong Song - Sisqó
Mull Of Kintyre - Wings
Step Into Christmas - Elton John

November 26
Bad Romance - Lady Gaga (finally)
Hard Habit to Break - Chicago
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! - Dean Martin
Lady Gaga Song Pack (Bad Romance, Paparazzi, Poker Face, Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say), LoveGame) - 560 MSP
Chicago Song Pack (Hard Habit To Break, Hard To Say I'm Sorry, I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love)

It's noteworthy that three of the songs mentioned above, were displayed on their Song Credits list since early August (Mull of Kintyre, Hard Habit to Break and Things can only get better), but they were taken down when they updated the song credits webpage.

Also, it seems weird to me that they're releasing Christmas songs this early, usually they wait until december to do that. Oh well, finally got Bad Romance :p. Even though it's on SingStar already, I think Lips charts stuff a lot better (especially for co-op), except for harmony voices :p

PopfulMail

So glad to see they are still supporting this series... and with some great songs even! Can't wait to snag all of the Chicago stuff.. and they are still mixing in some 80s jams!! I'm still hoping for a new version down the road that includes some Kinect features.

Portalbox

December 2010 DLC

Available December 3:
I Need Love - LL Cool J
Dont Forget - Demi Lovato
Mama Do - Pixie Lott

Available December 10
My Prerogative - Bobby Brown
Simply Irresistible - Robert Palmer

Available December 17
This Is How We Do It - Montell Jordan
Lonely No More - Rob Thomas
The Lovecats - The Cure

Available December 24
Ladies' Night - Kool & The Gang
Heartbreaker - Pat Benatar
Love Is A Battlefield - Pat Benatar

Available December 31
Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
Te Amo - Rihanna
It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) - R.E.M.

Portalbox

January 2011 DLC

January 7th
Sail On - The Commodores
Nothin' On You - B.o.B feat. Bruno Mars

January 14th
Our House - Madness
Happy Ending - Mika
Mika Song Pack (Love Today, Lollipop, Happy Ending)

January 21st

Informer - Snow
Falling Down - Selena Gomez & The Scene

January 28th

Don't Get Me Wrong - The Pretenders
Stand - R.E.M.

Portalbox

lolmark said:
Dang, only 2 songs per week.

Yup, and 2 out of those 8 were already in the 80s disc. Even though it has better charts than SingStar (not counting that horrid vocal harmony), Lips is pretty much dead to me.

2uj32ad.jpg

komarkaze

The vocal harmony is the best part of Lips if you and a partner can figure them out. Got a few top 100 ranks that way.

Anyway I finally got Grand Superstar rank last week (plus Gaga glasses) which took me a whole year since I purchased the game. Also finally picked up Party Classics and I like how it retains the progress I made in #1 Hits.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I just bought lips this past week, because I was up for cheap on some local store. Paid the equivalent of 42 bucks for regular lips plus two mics.

I bought them mainly for Rockband, but I guess there's multiple releases of Lips. So the question is, can I import songs from one game into the other or something to that extent? If I find them cheap enough, I might get them. I'm not a singing guy, but it won't hurt.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
drizzle said:
I just bought lips this past week, because I was up for cheap on some local store. Paid the equivalent of 42 bucks for regular lips plus two mics.

I bought them mainly for Rockband, but I guess there's multiple releases of Lips. So the question is, can I import songs from one game into the other or something to that extent? If I find them cheap enough, I might get them. I'm not a singing guy, but it won't hurt.
No imports. But DLC works on all games.

EYEL1NER

drizzle said:

You should be able to find all of the games for around $20, with the exception of the 80s game, and that is because you have to import it.
I bought Lips w/ 2 mics for $19.99, Party Classics for $19.99, Number One Hits with one mic for $19.99, and I heart 80s for probably around $32 US from the UK, all last summer.
I bought the first one for $20 at Kmart, thinking the wife might like it and it would be something fun to do. Little did I know I would have a blast playing it.

I would recommend buying them all.

komarkaze

No imports, but disc swapping within games is allowed. The first Lips game lets you spam mic shaking for energy whereas the others don't, but the others introduced avatar gestures during song breaks.

Mollymauk

Imported I <3 the 80s, and it took forever. So long in fact, that after 28 days it was assumed to be lost, and they shipped another copy. It arrived a few days later.

So now I own 2 copies. Going to give the other one to my sister-in-law. :)

Portalbox

Hey everyone,

Remember those tracks from the 80s disc that were released as DLC only in the US and Canada? These will be the worldwide DLC for february because other regions weren't able to buy neither the 80s disc nor the songs as DLC prior to this month.

However! This Friday will see the release of a Cars Song Pack and a Katy Perry Song Pack.

Lips February 2011 DLC:

February 4, 2011:
"Video Killed The Radio Star" - The Buggles (previously US only/80s disc only)
"Super Freak" - Rick James (previously US only/80s disc only)
"Bette Davis Eyes" - Kim Carnes (previously US only/80s disc only)
"Whip It" - Devo (not available in Mexico, previously US only/80s disc only)

February 11, 2011:
"Celebration" - Kool & the Gang (previously US only/80s disc only)
"Centerfold" - The J Geils Band (previously US only/80s disc only)
"Mickey" - Toni Basil (previously US only/80s disc only)
"Tainted Love" - Soft Cell (previously US only/80s disc only)

February 18, 2011:
"Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?" - Culture Club (previously US only/80s disc only)
"Roxanne" - The Police (previously US only/80s disc only)
"Rio" - Duran Duran (previously US only/80s disc only)
"Walking on Sunshine" - Katrina & The Waves (previously US only/80s disc only)
"You Might Think" - Cars
"Just What I Needed" - Cars
"Hot N Cold" - Katy Perry
"Waking Up In Vegas" - Katy Perry
"Thinking Of You" - Katy Perry
"Right Now (Na Na Na)" - Akon
Katy Perry Song Pack
Cars Song pack

February 25, 2011:
"Don't You Want Me" - The Human League (previously US only/80s disc only)
"Let's Dance" - David Bowie (previously US only/80s disc only)
"Come on Eileen" - Dexys Midnight Runners (previously US only/80s disc only)
"Bad Reputation" - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts (previously US only/80s disc only)
"The Look of Love (Pt. 1)" - ABC (previously US only/80s disc only)

So yeah, only 6 new tracks for the US and Canada this month.

EYEL1NER

Sh0k said:
Did Microsoft kill support for LIPS ? There haven't been any DLC songs pack for the last 5-6 weeks :-(
Here in the US, there wasn't really any support from MS at all. The 'support' they had for Lips was laughable at best.
In the UK, it looked like they may have been behind it a bit more, judging by things like the 80's Disc being UK only and stuff. I think they thought it would be a hit there, going off of how successful Singstar is supposed to be.

Sh0k

EYEL1NER said:
Here in the US, there wasn't really any support from MS at all. The 'support' they had for Lips was laughable at best.
In the UK, it looked like they may have been behind it a bit more, judging by things like the 80's Disc being UK only and stuff. I think they thought it would be a hit there, going off of how successful Singstar is supposed to be.
At least we were getting 3-4 songs every Friday and what I like about LIPS compared to other Karaoke games is that there were some current songs in the mix.

onQ123

Sh0k said:
Did Microsoft kill support for LIPS ? There haven't been any DLC songs pack for the last 5-6 weeks :-(

I forgot all about this game until you bumped this thread I think it got buried in the aftermath of Kinect

Alcibiades

wtf happened here...

microsoft had something good going but totally botched it with not enough content (both new themed discs like I heart the 80's and DLC are needed)...

I really hope that they continue the franchise somehow because I have the 4 main titles (Lips, Party Classics, Number One Hits, and I <3 the 80's) and a BUNCH of DLC.

I've been able to help host some amazing karaoke stuff at the commons center using this game, but they really need more content especially pop stuff and rock/alternative from the past decade or two... they've released too "second-class" songs from good artists rather than going for the major, major this... like for Blink 182, where is All the Small Things and What's My Age Again? Where is Justin Biebers Baby? Or Jesse McCartney's Beautiful Soul...

I hate having to go through all the old DLC seeing if I may have missed some hidden gem somewhere along the way that may be worth purchasing now that there is no conent

toff74

Soooooo.. whats happening with Lips then?

It still comes out and is great fun at parties and i still think its a great karaoke game.. i just want mooooore!!!!

Top Bottom