• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| of Lips

harSon

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Fucking hell...

Microsoft, you can't market ANYTHING. It's a singing game, just show people singing! How the hell did you become an almighty empire we all fear?

It's not that bad :lol It doesn't work all that well in long takes but I can see it working perfectly in a quick 30 second commercial.

Router said:
Will buy if someone provides a printable cover with the Over enthusiastic Lips guy put back on it.

lips-boxart.jpg

Iced_Eagle said:
OP: Here is a Gamespot video demonstrating some gameplay.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sim/lips/video/6201128/on-the-spot--11-13-08

Lips starts at 20:05

When someone asked about the lyrics in your own song, the designer said: "[...] It's going to continue to evolve as we go."

([...] = talking about what you can currently do with your songs, which is all of the game modes, gestures, scoring and such, but just no lyrics)

Please MS, if you get this in, let it be a free patch! :D
Hopefully they want to expand upon it by throwing in the lyric support so they can push this as the ultimate karaoke experience.

I wouldn't be suprised though, if they planned on just using the custom song feature to sell people on the product, and then leech money off people buying DLC to get songs that have lyrics.

t3nmilez

Anyone have any idea what the songlist for the Asian version of the game is going to be?

Ah well, regardless, if the American version is region free, I'll just import it. Been looking forward to this for awhile!

cjelly said:
So excited for this game. Been looking forward to it since it was announced.

MS released some official details on the bundle. For some reason I thought it was gonna be an Arcade:
Wut, no german bundle? :(

I thought it was an Arcade as well.

Iced_Eagle said:
Likewise, I actually liked it.

I feared the lips would look really creepy, but for walking Lips, they're alright :lol

I third this. Reminds me of 80's Twizzlers lips.

Plus it has a song in it that EVERYBODY loves.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
TheGreatDave said:
Fucking hell...

Microsoft, you can't market ANYTHING. It's a singing game, just show people singing! How the hell did you become an almighty empire we all fear?

It does in fact show people singing. And it's cute.

I'm really awaiting this game, comes out with American Idol 2....yes I love the singing games. Can't wait to put some Ken Hirai and Sing Along de Nihongo

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
Non-gamers who don't really know what an xbox is would have NO IDEA that that was an ad for a game where you sing like karaoke.

I'm not sure why videogames companies who want to market to casuals keep making this same mistake OVER AND OVER...

Regardless, I will definitely get this when I get my 360.

Darth Tigris said:
I third this. Reminds me of 80's Twizzlers lips.

Plus it has a song in it that EVERYBODY loves.
I don't and I'm a big supporter of 80's music. That being said I thought the ad wasn't really bad.

So, I've seen that a few people (apparently in Scandanavia) have the game already, and I was wondering if anyone has had it early? If so, impressions! :D

And I might as well ask, but since it's technically the release day, has anyone picked this up? I'm really on the fence and just need some impressions / video reviews or something to push me over and finish selling me on it.

HoTHiTTeR said:
Can we use rockband mics?

I would assume no because they don't have the LED's or motion gestures.

Why would you want to though? Lips mics >>>>>> rock band mic. And they're bundled with the game.

The ad would have been so much better if they just had a different person singing each verse in those different locations instead of a monster lips just walking a long time and seizing the mind of helpless victims...at least the song choice is great

Tntnnbltn

Hasn't been posted in this thread, but this is from an old Eurogamer article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=265199 said:
We're also told to expect a steady trickle of premium downloadable content on Xbox Live Marketplace, starting off with Estelle's "No Substitute Love".

pswii60

I actually like the advert. While I think Nintendo has got their marketing spot on (as much as it pains me to say it), MS would be making a big mistake by copying it.

They need to stand out. This advert does that. It'll certainly get attention, it's a well-loved track and makes you want to find out what it's advertising.

Interestingly though, Sony never really advertised Singstar at all, and yet it was still so successful in Europe mainly based on the back of retail presence and word of mouth.

But MS needs to actually show the adverts too! I never saw the Fable II ad once in the UK.

Haunted

TheGreatDave said:
But why can't Microsoft just advertising things normally?! This is like the shitty UK ads they've got. Just be normal!
These are weird. They are targeting music games fans. Ergo, music games fans are weird.

It all makes sense now!

thirty

Banned
i'd like to wait and see what the downloadable song library is gonna look like before i buy.

the ability to plug in my mp3 player is nice but i'd still like to edit and add lyrics. i'm not one to memorize lyrics so trying to sing my fav songs just by memory isn't going to work not matter how cool the feature seems. heck, i'd buy lyrics if MS sold them on the marketplace.

i mean really, MS has got to show they are just as dedicated to the DLC for Lips as Harmonix is to Rock Band or i won't buy the game as RB is suiting me just fine for my karaoke needs. heck, the no doubt album is suppose to come out soon on RB.

parasight

I wonder what the pricing will be like for individual songs. Because Rock Band is 160 per song, but you get 4 tracks worth to play. For Lips you just get singing. I might be hesitant to buy DLC if it's about the same price that RB/GH offers.

HoTHiTTeR

Iced_Eagle said:
I would assume no because they don't have the LED's or motion gestures.

Why would you want to though? Lips mics >>>>>> rock band mic. And they're bundled with the game.

This is type of game I'd pick up used after the holidays, but it seems as though not having universal peripherals is gonna make this a tougher pickup.

hoos30

That commercial was great, what are you guys looking at? Did you see the stumble?

Every video game commercial cannot be impossibly happy people wearing white lounging in an ultra chic loft.

Cdammen

Traded in two shitty games for a GameStop pre-order deal here in Sweden. I dunno if I'll like the game because I've never tried a karaoke game before but I'm still giddy with excitement. And yeah... where are the reviews?

(EDIT) I liked the commercial :)

FFChris

JonathanEx said:
They're obviously not planning on masses of DLC - that interface for choosing songs is not cut out for it.

I've not played it, but from the looks of the couple of screens in the OP the interface looks like it will accompany added songs pretty easily. Is the problem the size of the icons?

Manager

Seems like the release date is delayed a day or two (happened with Scene It! recently too), shipping to stores planned to be tomorrow or today.

No reviews yet either.

FFChris said:
I've not played it, but from the looks of the couple of screens in the OP the interface looks like it will accompany added songs pretty easily. Is the problem the size of the icons?
Oh, I'm not really basing it on me, it just seems like it won't be the easiest thing to navigate if it fills up with tons of tracks.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
FFChris said:
Well, it certainly looks no worse than Cover Flow.

FFChris said:

It looks like it really easily can add more songs.

Hell, on the main screen it shows how many songs you have in your library so it will definitely scale as there are also different ways to organize the songs you have in your library, such as sorting alphabetically by song title (which I think is the default).

You get an achievement for adding 300 songs to Lips from an external source, so I'm pretty sure they've tested it to make it sure it's scalable.

Yes, my point is that it just doesn't look designed in a way that will make it nice and easy to navigate with 300 songs. It's partially a size thing, having to shift through 300 songs with decent sized CD covers laid out in a grid. I could be wrong, could work well.

Sort options and playlists are welcome though.

So I keep looking, and I'm not seeing any reviews for this.

Has anyone managed to find a copy yet, even though the date has supposedly been pushed back a few days?

*Edit* Also, I guess we'll find out just how well it scales.

I mean, look at browsing a Zune or iPod where you have many hundreds/thousands of CDs / Songs on the device. They make the navigation fast, so I'm thinking that it will work fine for Lips as the iNiS guys could ask the MS Zune team for UI design help if they wanted to I bet.

Top Bottom