• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| of Lips

Remy

RIP, Overenthusiastic Lips Guy.

lipsobey.png

FFChris

From what you guys are saying, they will make a fair few more sales by patching the game to go with Rock Band. They need to do that as soon as possible.

It's a shame they have no lyrics for uploaded songs, though I understand it would be really difficult to do. Maybe they should have included an edit mode, so you could edit the words into songs?

Linkified

Has microsoft confirmed that they are going tobe doing Lips dlc, as in on xbox live with songs with there proper tracking of how you can sing - and not the zune marketplace songs as the only dlc.

As I live in Europaland (or more specifically UK) we don't have Zunes.

I'm still not seeing how this game is a huge step up over Singstar based off the OP. Also, what I really love in Singstar is the party competition mode and it doesn't sound like the multiplayer stuff is anywhere near up to that level where you have teams of four competing.

I'm up for this. I played SingStar for 12 hours for a charity thing and have gained a new appreciation for singing games. That fact this comes from the Gitaroo Man people only sweetens the deal.

Are there impressions of the final version of the game? I like my singing games like Harmonix make them, and I'd love a scrolling text option.

I'm really tempted to get this.

Depending on reviews, videos, and what other Gaffer's think is what will push me over the edge.

I really don't care if the mics work/don't work in Rock Band as I don't play it often enough. Though, it would be really nice for the Lips mics to be the only mic I have, especially since they are wireless.

Also, I read somewhere (perhaps Kotaku?) that a future patch might enable some sort of lyrics support for your own music. It would be nice to get a solid answer from MS on this issue, perhaps after release this week... Even at the stage it's at, I like what I see, much more than Singstar, which I was debating getting for a while (it seemed lacking in innovation after I saw Lips).

Wow I kind of really want this. Just making sure: they say music you've bought through Zune marketplace works, so music you get through the Zune Pass counts as well right?

I'm surprised at how properly GAF is discussing this "game" instead of ripping it a new asshole like they did with Wii Music. :lol

Nathan Rain said:
I'm surprised at how properly GAF is discussing this "game" instead of ripping it a new asshole like they did with Wii Music. :lol

Erm, why are there quotes around game?

My Troll-ometer is getting a reading.

Iced_Eagle said:
Erm, why are there quotes around game?

My Troll-ometer is getting a reading.

I don't really think Karaoke is video gaming man, that's why.

Neither is triggering notes with a usb controller (Rock Band).

That's just my opinion, but I'm sure I'll be flamed to death for saying something negative about a pop culture trend, so why don't I just apologize and we can move on.

I'm sorry that my opinions differ from yours. I hope you enjoy these games and I hope that LIPS turns out good for all the Karaoke/party gamers out there.

Peace :--)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Nathan Rain said:
Let people have their opinions, if you don't like them or don't agree with them tough ****.

bishoptl said:
Let people have their opinions, if you don't like them or don't agree with them tough ****.

Props.

You know what's funny though is that I wasn't bashing anyone's opinion.

Anyhow, I won't get into an argument on an internet forum, if you'd like to flesh this out further you can always PM me, but I won't hijack the thread.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Will buy if someone provides a printable cover with the Over enthusiastic Lips guy put back on it.

OP: Here is a Gamespot video demonstrating some gameplay.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sim/lips/video/6201128/on-the-spot--11-13-08

Lips starts at 20:05

When someone asked about the lyrics in your own song, the designer said: "[...] It's going to continue to evolve as we go."

([...] = talking about what you can currently do with your songs, which is all of the game modes, gestures, scoring and such, but just no lyrics)

Please MS, if you get this in, let it be a free patch! :D

Manager

Previews from 1up and Gamespy:
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3171326

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/lips/929587p1.html

Gamespy explain the Time Bomb mode:
Lips toys with karaoke in the same way that Guitar Hero toys with frets and strums. But unlike Rock Band 2, Lips is 95% "No Fail Mode." In the only mode you can fail, Time Bomb, a long fuse leads to a bomb. You'll have to quench the flaming fuse by pouring a glass of water on it. Your mic acts as the water glass, and every successfully sung line represents liquid salvation. In order to pour the water, you'll have to tilt your microphone upward, in a Wii-like motion, to empty the glass. It's fun stuff. There are more modes to, but we'll have more on them come review time.

Also:
Microsoft confirmed that there will be some sort of downloadable content at launch, but remains vague about what it entails.

Like... themes? Or those Zune things? No real songs?
Since they now have 100 different songs total if you count all the regions, they should be able to put them online day one. I want Breakup song. :(

1Up compares it with Wii Music:
And that's when it finally hit me: Lips looks like what I was hoping Wii Music would be, albeit with a distinct focus on singing. I want a great party game that'll let me easily have musical fun with my family members or friends. I want something with goals and objectives so I can feel that sense of accomplishment us gamers yearn for. Most of all, I want a game that features satisfactory payoff for minimal know-how. Lips promises all that, and I hope it delivers.

xbhaskarx

Nathan Rain said:
I don't really think Karaoke is video gaming man, that's why.

Neither is triggering notes with a usb controller (Rock Band).

If you're not interested, why are you posting in the Official Lips thread?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I was really excited about this game for about five minutes, when I first heard of it. After all, I loved Sakura Taisen and its revolutionary "LIPS" system! After the disappointment that IV and V brought, I've been waiting for a return to the series' roots, perhaps with some next-gen enhancements. A 360 game? With microphone support? Could this be the LIPS enhancement we've all been waiting for?!? Will I be confessing to my 2D lover using the sound of my own voice?

...unfortunately, no. It's some karaoke game instead. =(

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Oozer3993 said:
The US version has Taylor Swift:

http://xs433.xs.to/xs433/08471/e116.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://xs133.xs.to/xs133/08471/p877.jpg[IMG]

It is therefore awesome and a GOTY candidate.[/QUOTE]

She's hot. I saw her on Letterman last week and she can actually sing pretty well, didnt seem like she was lip synching.

Dabanton

xbhaskarx said:
If you're not interested, why are you posting in the Official Lips thread?

These guys can't help themselves. Glad Bish scared him away as we know where the argument was going.

As for the game can't wait.

FFChris

From the previews, it's looking really good.

Not really my thing, I'm more of a guitar hero guy.. but I'm really tempted to get this for partys!

they were advertising this game during Australian idol on Sunday.

Funny ad. Pair of Lips with legs walks up this guys arm while he's signing Take on Me. Funny shit.

Can't wait for this game.

Best Feature: Letting you play HUDless music clips in a playlist for you to use at parties etc. Awesomeness.

pr0cs

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Throw me in the "I would buy just for the wireless mic if only it worked with Rock Band" pile.
add me in there too. I never sing with Rockband, I leave it to my more inebriated guests however if I could get a karaoke game with wireless mics that ALSO work great with rockband then I would buy it in an instant to help alleviate the "oh shit sorry guys,I kicked the cable out again because of my drunken dancing" syndrome.

I don't see Harmonix et al having any incentive to implement a patch for it unfortunately. I hope Microsoft makes it worth their while because it makes Lips a LOT more attractive.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
So excited for this game. Been looking forward to it since it was announced.

MS released some official details on the bundle. For some reason I thought it was gonna be an Arcade:

EUROPE ONLY: Be a star with Xbox 360 this Christmas

For all shower singers, wanna-be rappers, living room superstars and bedroom belters, Lips, the highly anticipated singing party game will be hitting stores from 21st November in a great value bundle from launch.

Xbox 360 takes to a whole new stage with Lips, an all-new music franchise exclusively for the console. Start channelling your favourite pop star because it's you, your friends, and your music that makes this the ultimate party experience this holiday. Lips is the only music video game that comes with two wireless motion-sensitive microphones, allowing you the freedom to put your own spin on a song as you free-wheel across your living room. This great value entertainment bundle will be available in Spain, Italy, the Nordics, the Netherlands, Austria, Hungary, Switzerland, Russia, South Africa, Belgium, Greece, Czech Republic, Portugal and Ireland, offering the game and 60GB hard-drive Xbox 360 Pro console at an estimated retail price of €209.99.

Top Bottom