• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otome Community Thread: Happiness isn't a limited commodity, my love is boundless!

Ok... is this the exact same game with just some new routes? Because I'll buy the damn thing but I literally just fucking dragged my PS3 back out of the closet to play the other remake and I'm going to be a lil bit mad if I did that for no reason. If it's the same I'm going to stop playing now so I can enjoy it all later. You can have my money again but GOD DAMMIT

Also... is Nagakura just a friendship route because I need dat romance ;3;
It's a remake and it's composed of two games: Hakuoki Shinkai: Kaze no Shou & Hakuoki Shinkai: Hana no Shou. IFI is localizing the first game. Shinpachi actually gets a romance route this time around and there's new love interests. Also, Kazama's route seems to be longer.
lsICUHz.jpg

oBGjuaJ.jpg

NTNr5Uc.jpg

pariah164

Oooh I was always planning for Sweet Fuse to be my first otome cos I heard it's a good intro to the genre but I haven't gotten around to buying it yet... You don't like Hatoful? Based on the description it doesn't seem like my thing either but it gets so much praise and isn't that expensive I thought someday I might give it a shot.
Sweet Fuse is amazing. Saki is dabes.

As for Hatoful... I cannot get past the premise. You're a girl. They're pigeons. That doesn't... work. My mind immediately goes 'bestiality' and I nope right the fuck out. If they were pigeons who can change INTO humans, I'd be like, okay, let's go. But... they don't. It's weird, and I just can't... deal with that.

All that said, a couple years back, I did think of a sick sequel idea involving rooster-fighting rings...

Sweet Fuse is amazing. Saki is dabes.

As for Hatoful... I cannot get past the premise. You're a girl. They're pigeons. That doesn't... work. My mind immediately goes 'bestiality' and I nope right the fuck out. If they were pigeons who can change INTO humans, I'd be like, okay, let's go. But... they don't. It's weird, and I just can't... deal with that.

All that said, a couple years back, I did think of a sick sequel idea involving rooster-fighting rings...

I've heard it's hilarious but what did it in for me was the stats. Newp.

Is it bad that I still haven't finished the first Hakuouki on PSP? :p

You're missing out, friend. T3T

Am I dreaming??

Hakuouki! Yes! But I hope IFI plans on bringing the second part as well.

I'm hoping if we all buy it they will <_< I need some new content but I was about to play it all over again anyway so this works.

Estellise

Huh, didn't see that coming. Especially from Idea Factory. Although I like Hakuouki, I think this game showcases new content for the new routes more than the old. Which I guess makes sense. But they're split into two games so it'd make absolutely no sense for them not to release the 2nd one. I heard Japanese fans weren't happy about this because they thought the first one was the entire game but revealed the 2nd game is the rest of the game. So technically they're localizing an incomplete game so I feel like they should've localized both at the same time but... meh. At least Hakuouki gets it's localized Vita port.

Saphirax

I've heard it's hilarious but what did it in for me was the stats. Newp.

You're missing out, friend. T3T

I'm hoping if we all buy it they will <_< I need some new content but I was about to play it all over again anyway so this works.

I really hope getting the second part won't be contingent on the first part selling well. I don't think an average otome fan (who isn't a fan of Hakuouki) would buy half a game where there's practically zero romance.

pariah164

It's cool Hakuoki is getting a sequel. Wasn't fond of the first, but I dug the musou version of it, so I kinda hope it gets localized.

I want the goddamn Code: Realize sequel. Dat Sholmes route.

Also the Amnesia fandiscs. I'll just pretend Toma does not exist.

Nudull

Banned
That two-part remake situation does sound weird, especially if IFI ends up holding fans at gunpoint and making the second part's localization dependant on the first. Hopefully, that won't be the case.

Any good otome games come out, recently? Need to get my mind off of things.

Saphirax

It's cool Hakuoki is getting a sequel. Wasn't fond of the first, but I dug the musou version of it, so I kinda hope it gets localized.

I want the goddamn Code: Realize sequel. Dat Sholmes route.

Also the Amnesia fandiscs. I'll just pretend Toma does not exist.

Fandisc, not the sequel :p. Aksys is going to share some news about it "in the near future" along with the other 3 games that they've announced.

Nudull

Banned
Hatoful seemed rather gimmicky with the whole "ZOMG they're pigeons!!2!" gag, so I never really bothered with it. Sweet Fuse I was curious about, but that had its own gag that eclipsed most english news surrounding it.

pariah164

Hatoful seemed rather gimmicky with the whole "ZOMG they're pigeons!!2!" gag, so I never really bothered with it. Sweet Fuse I was curious about, but that had its own gag that eclipsed most english news surrounding it.
Sweet Fuse had a gag? It's my favorite PSP game, that's all I know. Sweet Fuse is amazing as fuck. Saki, the protagonist, is a breath of fresh air.

A Shinpachi route for Hakuoki? Sign me up.

I haven't played any Hakuoki since the very first English PSP release, but I'll definitely consider jumping back in now. If this is only one half of the Japanese release though, price is going to be a factor. I wasn't super into Hakuoki when I first played it, so I won't pay a premium for a game that's been released umpteen times, even with the new content.

P.S. Sweet Fuse is amazing, and all should play it.

Saphirax

A Shinpachi route for Hakuoki? Sign me up.

I haven't played any Hakuoki since the very first English PSP release, but I'll definitely consider jumping back in now. If this is only one half of the Japanese release though, price is going to be a factor. I wasn't super into Hakuoki when I first played it, so I won't pay a premium for a game that's been released umpteen times, even with the new content.

P.S. Sweet Fuse is amazing, and all should play it.

Hakuouki was split into two games in Japan because it was simply too big. So far only the first part has been announced for localization.

Feels kinda weird seeing IFI localize Hakuouki after Aksys have done so much work bringing it to the west.

Still, this solves my dilemma of buying the PS3 version or making a US account for the PSP version. I just hope we'll get a physical release (and the second game, lol).

Saphirax

Feels kinda weird seeing IFI localize Hakuouki after Aksys have done so much work bringing it to the west.

Still, this solves my dilemma of buying the PS3 version or making a US account for the PSP version. I just hope we'll get a physical release (and the second game, lol).

A limited edition that can hold both games, gief! Things are looking good for a physical release if the game's website is anything to go by - front cover has a 'now printing' label.

A limited edition that can hold both games, gief! Things are looking good for a physical release if the game's website is anything to go by - front cover has a 'now printing' label.

Ooh, that is good news! I hope that isn't just a standard thing they do and there's actually a physical release coming.

I'm excited to get into Hakuouki. I've really enjoyed what I've played of Code;Realize so far (just started chapter 6) and Haku is like the grand-daddy of otome, so...

Saphirax

Ooh, that is good news! I hope that isn't just a standard thing they do and there's actually a physical release coming.

I'm excited to get into Hakuouki. I've really enjoyed what I've played of Code;Realize so far (just started chapter 6) and Haku is like the grand-daddy of otome, so...

Just be ready for despair. A lot of it.

jzbluz

That line about Hakuoki kind of being the granddaddy of otome reminded me again how much Harukanaru 6 reminds me of Hakuoki because of the oni clan and
the "potion" that basically turns people into "demons".
I knew some of the previous Harukanaru titles had sold 40k-50k, which made me research Hakuoki, and holy shit, the psp title for Hakuoki ended up selling 100k. I'm sad how much the otome market has shrunk.

Anyway, the oni clan has been part of the Harukanaru series since the first title in 2000, so either Hakuoki copied that or more likely they are drawing from the same myth.

I wonder if they're using Aksys script for the game and if they're porting it to Steam at launch or at a later date.

Wouldn't it be nearly useless since the game has been rewritten to be twice as long? I know they added routes, but they must have rewritten some of the older routes as well for continuity's sake.

Estellise

I also wonder if they're going to use the same script as Aksys? The logo they used looks the same as the english logo Aksys used so perhaps they have their permission? Anyway, I'll still play this game since it has enough new content to keep me interested. And for what its worth the game does have a different soundtrack and I'm not sure about all scenes, but I know if you keep Chizuru's default name they'll call her that (when they don't call her Yukimura).

Saphirax

I also wonder if they're going to use the same script as Aksys? The logo they used looks the same as the english logo Aksys used so perhaps they have their permission? Anyway, I'll still play this game since it has enough new content to keep me interested. And for what its worth the game does have a different soundtrack and I'm not sure about all scenes, but I know if you keep Chizuru's default name they'll call her that (when they don't call her Yukimura).

There's new music and new cgs. Not sure if other routes were expanded but Kazama's definitely has been.

Shizuka

Lemme get this straight: it's a remake twice as long as the first game, is that correct? I already thought Hakuoki was hella long, I won't be able to survive through this remake.

Saphirax

Lemme get this straight: it's a remake twice as long as the first game, is that correct? I already thought Hakuoki was hella long, I won't be able to survive through this remake.

Should be around twice as long yeah. It does have 6 additional routes after all. But this is only the first half of the game so definitely survivable!

Kirie

Hmm not the biggest Hakuouki fan, but will still buy for Saitou/Extended Kazama route and Yamazaki

I'm reading that the 2nd part of the duology is criticized for being far too short so some people were pretty unhappy with it. It seems pretty front loaded for the first game.

Saphirax

Hmm not the biggest Hakuouki fan, but will still buy for Saitou/Extended Kazama route and Yamazaki

I'm reading that the 2nd part of the duology is criticized for being far too short so some people were pretty unhappy with it. It seems pretty front loaded for the first game.

Haven't seen anyone mentioning that the second part was short. Odd :/.

Kirie

Yeah, it's a common complaint in the Amazon reviews for it.

I didn't see anyone specify the play time though, so if it's at least 10 hours of content I'd be happy enough personally.

I'm sad how much the otome market has shrunk.

Yeah, it's kinda disappointing to see how much the market has shrunk. When you had things like Amnesia; Hakuouki; & Hanakanaru approaching on (or breaking) 100k compared to on Vita:

Amnesia World 2014 Idea Factory 8,650 / 16,538
Hakuouki: Sweet School Life 2014 Idea Factory 21,640 / 35,399
Harakanaru Toki no Naka de 6 2015 Koei-Tecmo 13,601 / 21,996

We've not really had any new IP's replicating their successes either:

Code Realize: Guardians of Rebirth 2014 Idea Factory 6,805 / 19,155
Reine Des Fleurs 2015 Idea Factory 11,191 / 15,424

Collar x Malice might get close to those numbers, but otherwise nothing has done particularly well.

jzbluz

Aren't you a fan of Darius? I see your type now.

Yeah, it's kinda disappointing to see how much the market has shrunk. When you had things like Amnesia; Hakuouki; & Hanakanaru approaching on (or breaking) 100k compared to on Vita:

Amnesia World 2014 Idea Factory 8,650 / 16,538
Hakuouki: Sweet School Life 2014 Idea Factory 21,640 / 35,399
Harakanaru Toki no Naka de 6 2015 Koei-Tecmo 13,601 / 21,996

We've not really had any new IP's replicating their successes either:

Code Realize: Guardians of Rebirth 2014 Idea Factory 6,805 / 19,155
Reine Des Fleurs 2015 Idea Factory 11,191 / 15,424

Collar x Malice might get close to those numbers, but otherwise nothing has done particularly well.

UtaPri Music 3 did about 50k on Vita, but who knows if the mainline port will sell as well since how many times can UtaPri fans buy the same game? But then I could say the same thing about Hakuoki fans...

jzbluz

Why is it always otome? They could give some Bishoujo games too...

You do know that you're in the Otome Community Thread? This is probably the wrong thread to ask if you're talking about why there are no bishoujo games on Vita, but I'll give it a shot. Most bishoujo games are on the PC (which is the opposite with otome) with Vita getting ports once in awhile. The bishoujo English fandom only gets PC games because that's where the majority of the fandom is, and all the localizers are PC only publishers. Now Sekai Project is trying to port a bunch of their games to the Vita, but it's taking them awhile.

You may ask why don't Vita publishers just license those ports on Vita, but from from I've heard about other games and publishers, it's a bit complicated. Those ports are usually published by a different publisher than the original one so negotiations can probably get a bit tricky. Now IF does have a bishoujo series, which they publish themselves in Japan, but from what I gather, it's a series based on novels/manga(?) so the rights are probably not completely theirs.

ShyMel

I forgot this version of Hakuoki had a Shinpachi route. IFI, please put up a limited edition ASAP so I can throw my money at y'all.

On the subject of UtaPri, I have a big hunch that all the voice work (including songs) is a big hurdle for an overseas release. Sentai Filmworks has been releasing the anime in America and none of the seasons have a dub. Other otome based anime without English game releases, such as Hiiro no Kakera (pretty sure I messed the spelling up there), have gotten dubs. In terms of popularity, I think UtaPri is definitely above HnK, so I can only see the music and such as being very pricey.

Estellise

o8dbNYd.jpg

Got a matching strap for my boy lol. I don't think Nil Admirari would be a bad choice for localization either. Its getting an anime an FD too which is neat. Code:Realize is getting an anime as well but we probably won't see it until the middle of 2017, maybe even later. I still hoping for a Collar x Malice anime adaptation. That'd be great. &#128525;

Nudull

Banned
o8dbNYd.jpg

Got a matching strap for my boy lol. I don't think Nil Admirari would be a bad choice for localization either. Its getting an anime an FD too which is neat. Code:Realize is getting an anime as well but we probably won't see it until the middle of 2017, maybe even later. I still hoping for a Collar x Malice anime adaptation. That'd be great. &#128525;

Who is that adorable guy, and why am I not playing this game right now? o.o

Kirie

Aren't you a fan of Darius? I see your type now.

Guilty as charged :D I definitely have a type lol. I tend to usually really enjoy the oni clan characters in the series, so that helps.

I just noticed that the new Hakuouki is only being brought to Vita.. didn't IFI have issues with Amnesia being pirated on PC? Wonder if that contributed to this being Vita only.

Not complaining though, Vita is definitely my preferred platform :)

Estellise

Who is that adorable guy, and why am I not playing this game right now? o.o

His name is Hisui (he's seriously adorable ;w;) and he's from an otomate game called Nil Admirari. Its a game from like the Taisho era of Japan and is a romance suspense type of genre. https://vndb.org/v18163

I'm actually kinda surprised it got an anime adaptation AND FD announcement within the same year of releasing but... I guess it was more popular than I realize.

Saphirax

Guilty as charged :D I definitely have a type lol. I tend to usually really enjoy the oni clan characters in the series, so that helps.

I just noticed that the new Hakuouki is only being brought to Vita.. didn't IFI have issues with Amnesia being pirated on PC? Wonder if that contributed to this being Vita only.

Not complaining though, Vita is definitely my preferred platform :)

Yeah, they had issues with piracy but I don't think the simultaneous release worked well for them either. It's possible the game will get a steam port later.

jzbluz

o8dbNYd.jpg

I heard the game is a bit bland though. It did sell well, hence why it's getting an anime and fandisc, but it was probably due to Satoi being the artist.

Yeah, they had issues with piracy but I don't think the simultaneous release worked well for them either. It's possible the game will get a steam port later.

Yeah, the simultaneous release for Amnesia was a bit idiotic, especially when the Vita version was almost twice as expensive. Piracy is a thing now on Vita, but hopefully it doesn't affect the sales too much.

Kanashimi

Not super shocked that Idea Factory is cutting their ties with Aksys here. I just want the school game, damnit. We've only been requesting it for years.

I do highly doubt it will be the same script. I imagine they got a different team to translate it instead of paying for Aksys' version. Would depend on their contract, but I assume Aksys would have rights over their translation.

Estellise

I heard the game is a bit bland though. It did sell well, hence why it's getting an anime and fandisc, but it was probably due to Satoi being the artist.

Yeah it certainly wasn't the best game this year for sure. I actually had a liking to a few of the characters while the rest were meh, to me. And it took me a while to finish it because I got more interested in newer games that came out after it (Kenka Bancho Otome, Collar x Malice, ect.) Thats why I'm genuinely surprised it got an anime adaption + a fd.

Dee Dee

I started Code:Realize so I am slowly making my way to everything Otome on Vita. Finished Amnesia (Kent... thank you for being... everything), finished Psycho-Pass (which is not exactly Otome but fanservice-y as f#ck - like Gino taking his shirt off, or unlocking "Good morning!" and "Happy Birthday!" and what not audio lines from all the voice actors).

Norn9 would be next, since I already played Hakuoki on the 3DS (with Sano being one of my favourite routes ever in anything) and Hatoful.

So everyone here also mentions Sweet Fuse - I just looked it up on the PSN store, but really don't like the look of it. What's great about it?
I think the fact that the game description was clearly google translated into my language didn't help.
Also, fuck puzzles. Those Amnesia mini games really broke me.

By the way: Hatoful Boyfriend has a secret "BL" route ... which ... completely goes off the deep end. It's like it suddenly turns into 999's true end. I think it's the biggest reason, that this game is so popular.
Also, as a huge TokiMemo fan, it's literally the only current try at a Dating SIM with stat checks and events and everything, which I am really pining for sometimes. Not just mini games, actual game play!
It's not to be taken seriously though, but then which Otome is...

Edit: Okay, wow, this was bugging me so much that I had to look it up. After just finishing Amnesia, Victor's voice in Code Realize sounded like I heard it before, but I really couldn't put my finger on it.
And sure enough: He has the same voice actor as Shin in Amnesia! That's a pretty good range to have, from ice-cold tsundere to puppy eyed kind guy.
I checked out what else he did and he's also going to voice Prompto in the japanese release of FFXV. Nice! Also, he voiced one of the male avatar voice options the japanese Xenoblade Chronicles X. So cool!!

Top Bottom