• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otome Community Thread: Happiness isn't a limited commodity, my love is boundless!

I was so tempted to do this. I actually ended up skipping most of Hijikata's route when I couldn't take it anymore. But I learned an important lesson about leaving the characters I'm most interested in for last.
I wish I would actually learn that lesson myself.
Got Van Helsing in Code Realize and my motivation to do other routes really plummeted.

I have a confession to make:
I've only played three Hakuoki routes, I've never bothered to try them all.

Which ones?

I was so tempted to do this. I actually ended up skipping most of Hijikata's route when I couldn't take it anymore. But I learned an important lesson about leaving the characters I'm most interested in for last.

You guys are killing me here lol. I always go for the first guy who takes my fancy, then I sort of switch it up with a route I'm less interested in and then one I'm super looking forward to. I don't mean saving the shittiest one for last as dogged curiosity will get me through it but usually my last one ends up being the "bonus" or extra boy if there is one.

Could someone who's on/completed Jaehee's route in MM confirm what the first few chats on day 5 are for her? My game's not showing a portrait for who's route I'm on. >.> I'm pretty sure it's hers, since the chats I have available aren't on Zen's or Yoosung's routes, but I just want to be sure.

Sorry boo I already saved over all my files the minute I finished ;3; I'm on Jumin's route now and after that I'll just have Seven's.

Saphirax

Which ones?

You guys are killing me here lol. I always go for the first guy who takes my fancy, then I sort of switch it up with a route I'm less interested in and then one I'm super looking forward to. I don't mean saving the shittiest one for last as dogged curiosity will get me through it but usually my last one ends up being the "bonus" or extra boy if there is one.

Sorry boo I already saved over all my files the minute I finished ;3; I'm on Jumin's route now and after that I'll just have Seven's.

I always save the best for last and the shittiest for the middle :p.

jzbluz

I'm okay with not getting more Hakuoki. For highschool VNs I would prefer Klap or Trigger Kiss, and for historical Hanaichi and Juuzaengi. And I heard Ken ga Kimi is great, but that's Rejet.

So, talk to me about Hakuoki. Is Demon of the Fleeting Blossom the same as Stories of the Shinsengumi?

Reason I ask is the PS3 version is easily importable and the PSP game isn't on EU PSN.

But oddly Warriors of the Shinsengumi is on EU PSN - is that the crappy musou-esque spinoff, or is it any good?

My copy of Code;Realize still isn't here btw. Bummer.

Saphirax

So, talk to me about Hakuoki. Is Demon of the Fleeting Blossom the same as Stories of the Shinsengumi?

Reason I ask is the PS3 version is easily importable and the PSP game isn't on EU PSN.

But oddly Warriors of the Shinsengumi is on EU PSN - is that the crappy musou-esque spinoff, or is it any good?

My copy of Code;Realize still isn't here btw. Bummer.

The PSP game should be on the EU PSN. At least it was the last time I checked. However if you want the complete version you should get the ps3 one.

The PS3 version contains the fandisc, a bunch of DLC etc. The fandisc expands on all the routes in the game. So basically the ps3 Hakuouki is the most complete edition of the game.

Never played the spinoffs though, so can't comment on them.

The PSP game should be on the EU PSN. At least it was the last time I checked. However if you want the complete version you should get the ps3 one.

The PS3 version contains the fandisc, a bunch of DLC etc. The fandisc expands on all the routes in the game. So basically the ps3 Hakuouki is the most complete edition of the game.

Never played the spinoffs though, so can't comment on them.

I can't find it on the UK store (link will only work if you open in incognito tab or already have an account on the UK store).

Still, thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the PS3 game is the best choice regardless, I'm just unsure whether I want to play a VN on a console :(

Shizuka

Oof, I didn't know there was a 3DS version. In the west? Problem solved!

(did it get released in Europe?)

Yes, it was released in the West and in Europe, although I heard not long ago that it's been removed from the eShop and only retail copies are available now.

14199682_10210110316255710_8940724477926904209_n.jpg

Yay! Though I'm on a Trails of Cold Steel binge atm

Oh, I thought you had given up on the game. How'd you like her route?

Omg no, I've been glued to my phone for the last two weeks or however long it's been that this came out... I'm obsessed ;3; I actually really kind of hated it...
Jaehee is actually a great character but watching her go over to Zen's house to take care of him while I just sat there man-less was... hm, well it sucked lol. Call me petty/selfish/thirsty but it felt like she was the heroine of the game in that route, which would be fine for some... but that ain't the experience I'm here to have.

My attitude towards her route can be summed up as follows:

tumblr_inline_o5cfzn1tfY1qjxnk0_500.png

I really need to go back through the thread to find your posts on MM now that I'm almost done with it. I'll probably make a mega-post filled with spoilers when I'm done, I'm on Seven's route now.

Yoooo who the fuck are all those other dudes? How many Hakuouki games am I missing here other than SSL?

Saphirax

Omg no, I've been glued to my phone for the last two weeks or however long it's been that this came out... I'm obsessed ;3; I actually really kind of hated it...
Jaehee is actually a great character but watching her go over to Zen's house to take care of him while I just sat there man-less was... hm, well it sucked lol. Call me petty/selfish/thirsty but it felt like she was the heroine of the game in that route, which would be fine for some... but that ain't the experience I'm here to have.

I really need to go back through the thread to find your posts on MM now that I'm almost done with it. I'll probably make a mega-post filled with spoilers when I'm done, I'm on Seven's route now.

Yoooo who the fuck are all those other dudes? How many Hakuouki games am I missing here other than SSL?

The remakes added 6 new routes, 3 of them being new characters.

eefara

Gah, I need to catch up. @.@ I've barely played any the past few weeks; I can't even read your spoiler. D:

Gah, I need to catch up. @.@ I've barely played any the past few weeks; I can't even read your spoiler. D:

Go go go!! I need someone to discuss with :D.

Okay, massive spoilers incoming for Mystic Messenger...

Routes:

1) Zen
2) Yoosung
3) Jaehee
4) Jumin
5) 707

Zen was my first and remains my favorite, though I did also enjoy Seven and Jumin's routes. Seven and Jumin both had some kind of unpleasant bits to their routes though... Yoosung and Jaehee I straight up did not like.

Jumin spoilers:
Jumin's route veers needlessly into possessive "I will lock you up" territory--I was afraid we were going to have another Toma on our hands -_-;; I really would have been absolutely okay with "Please stay at my apartment for your own safety and enjoy living like a princess" but the game really wanted to force the issue of making you want to leave so it created this weird conflict that didn't need to be there in the first place IMO. Thankfully he snaps out of it without doing anything too insanely gross but he does block your way a bit forcefully and I didn't like that. It sort of ruined the whole princess fantasy thing when you feel like you're almost being imprisoned. I won't lie though, I really wanted him to leave Elizabeth 3rd with V... I'm allergic to cats in real life lol. I was like "good, yes, get rid of the cat." Jumin's voice is so hot though... and I'm super into the rich life with a billionaire thing so since he uncrazies himself and doesn't do anything too nuts in the good route I'll allow it lol.

Seven spoilers:
Seven's really fun for the first few days, but then he gets all cold and tries to push you away and I can't stand that shit. Had that happened in real life I would have been crying to Zen and just fleeing into his arms ASAP lol. But because it's an otome... you gotta push through 9_9 If a man came to my house and ignored me and straight up told me several times he didn't want a relationship with me you'd better believe I'd fuck off out of that situation. How do these otome heroines throw themselves at guys and just be like "it's ok if you're mean to me I just wanna love u" ughh I'm too petty for this shit. Anyway it's cute after you get past the shitty parts but the way they copped out with his ending and shoved it all into post ending story that you have to purchase... so so so shitty :/

Yoosung spoilers:
What in the FUCK was this, it felt like I had the same conversation over and over where he told me I was like Rika, I told him I was NOT Rika, his fucking cousin by the way, who he seems to have some kind of inappropriate feelings for... just over and over until it somehow got through to him, he mans up by the end... but it was just so short on the romance and so heavy on the weird cousin feelings shit. No thank you. He's the only one whose disappointment carried over to the other routes. Everytime he would say something cute I'd just look at him like "no. I know what this would be. No thank you."

Jaehee spoilers:
I seriously thought at one point the game was going to have her and Zen start dating while I watched... that would have made this unbearable. There's a few options here and there to say something kind of mildly flirty but she hammers the point home over and over that she's into you as a friend. Towards the end she starts hinting that maybe she'll tell you... something. But it's so vague, like I don't know why they bothered to have this friendship route when it was so clear that they know people would want to date her. Not only that, but I don't understand at ALL why Jaehee can't have this kind of personal growth on any other route. I should be able to have a boyfriend and be her best friend and help her blossom into a happy fulfilled person, it's kind of shitty that you can't do both. In short, it was boring and kind of tough for someone like me who expects to be catered to lol.

Zen spoilers:
Oh Zen ;3; He's so supportive and sweet in the other routes, and even though the Echo Girl stuff is awful he never stops being wonderful to you. I got my only not-good ending here though because I didn't realize being awful to Jaehee and generally being an awful person about Zen (acting possessive and crazy) was the wrong way to go--which in my defense I thought the game WANTED me to do because it was giving me hearts every time. I think it's unfair for a game to make it look like there's a right answer when it really isn't... but eh whatever. It became clearer in the other routes that generally extreme answers are not correct.

So one thing that I did notice I was missing out on after I started skipping... I wasn't calling the boys myself because I had no shortage of content. It seems like I missed some fairly amazing late-night phone calls.. but it's such a gamble to spend in-game currency to see if maybe they'll pick up :/ All in all I really loved this game, and would recommend it but the free to play aspect and some of the bugs and server issues are a hinderance. It's still to their immense credit that I'd recommend it despite those things because it's so insanely immersive and the voice acting is really great when they have it. The artwork is strangely inconsistent, it's a bit cheap in places but really great in others, particularly good in Seven's route for some reason. So if you're on the fence, give it a shot for free, but I really do recommend it.

Saphirax

Last post about CxM impressions, I promise <D.
Or is it....
Okay, finally finished everything in Collar x Malice and got my platinum trophy. In short – Otomate basically releases a game every year that’s supposed to be its safe blockbuster. Last year it was Code:Realize, and this year it’s CxM. I enjoyed C:R and all, but it was just solid and nothing more. I enjoyed CxM a little more than that, but it’s still definitely second place to, say, Hyakka. So yeah – it’s solid, but safe. You’re not going to get too many adventurous attempts to break the mold here.

Plot was solid enough. I guessed every reveal (though you do have to figure things out as you go or else you’ll fail). Too well, in one case. Weep. The game actually managed to deal in two kinds of emotionality tropes that I take very personally (one of the antagonists…is a little too psychologically similar to me, I realized with a wince later on) without screwing them up and making me angry. That’s a first! (I’ll never forgive Clock Zero for its bs.) Ichika is great. And the secondary chars are so good that some of the primary chars definitely pale in comparison. (Hi Kazuki and Akito.) The little tweaks to bg styles were brilliant, and the dialogue writing was A+. Lost track of how many times I burst into laughter or shrieked out loud.

Was a tiny bit underwhelmed by true end. Can go into more detail in a review. It was fine and Aiji and Ichika were fine, but I think my heart was elsewhere.

Really what took the game past solid for me was Takeru’s route. I cannot believe he’s the smoothest operator of the five. What the hell! Mineo’s was adorable fun, Shira’s managed not to piss me off and be enjoyable (but again, can’t think about it too deeply lalala…also hot damn that final bad end CG), and Kei…we don’t talk about Kei. Deeply did not enjoy his route, though I mellowed into not caring after the 70% mark. But I’m sure everyone else likes him so whatever.

Recommended play order: Mineo > Shira and Kei (doesn’t matter which order) > Takeru > Aiji. I highly disagree with Mineo > Takeru > Kei > Shira, because you find out who the perpetrators of certain cases are on only some routes, and I personally think that one of the cases on Takeru’s route is the most important one in the game. His route’s also the most different in pacing of the four. Shira’s route isn’t so big on reveals that you have to play it last before Aiji’s. Really…it’s not. (Don’t look at me like that.)

I especially like the bolded part. Better than C:R? I'll take it!

jzbluz

What exactly would be considered a safe blockbuster? A new good ip? Then yeah, it was probably Psychedelica. But Clock Zero, Hakuoki remake part 1, DiaLovers, RdF, and Norn9 fandisc all sold better in 2015.

Anyway, I gave in to the hype and downloaded MM. I've managed to missed most of the chats and phone calls, and reminded myself how much I dislike games that hinder my progress because of real time. I would pay for it, but the way that Cheritz (and most mobile publishers, tbf) has monetized the app rubs me the wrong way. So it's been uninstalled. Instead, I bought This World Unknown in Steam since it was only $8.

What exactly would be considered a safe blockbuster? A new good ip? Then yeah, it was probably Psychedelica. But Clock Zero, Hakuoki remake part 1, DiaLovers, RdF, and Norn9 fandisc all sold better in 2015.

Anyway, I gave in to the hype and downloaded MM. I've managed to missed most of the chats and phone calls, and reminded myself how much I dislike games that hinder my progress because of real time. I would pay for it, but the way that Cheritz (and most mobile publishers, tbf) has monetized the app rubs me the wrong way. So it's been uninstalled. Instead, I bought This World Unknown in Steam since it was only $8.

That's what I was wondering. I mean, Hakuoki fandisk and Amnesia World were both 2014, but the author listed Code Realize for that year so I guessed they were talking about just new IP's.

For 2015 I've got:

Diabolik Lovers Dark Fate 2015 Idea Factory 12,164
Reine Des Fleurs 2015 Idea Factory 11,191
Hakuouki Shinkai 2015 Idea Factory 10,064
Shinobi, Koi Utsutsu 2015 Idea Factory 6,762
Hyakka Yakou 2015 Idea Factory 6,235

I forgot Reine Des Fleurs sold so well despite the feedback from it being pretty terrible, so maybe it was that.

Saphirax

I don't think she meant it just sales-wise, otherwise putting CxM there would be silly. Think she was focusing on the word 'safe', as in Otomate has at least one game a year that's not a remake/remaster and which is generally considered good - good word of mouth, nothing as divisive as DL etc.

I don't think she meant it just sales-wise, otherwise putting CxM there would be silly. Think she was focusing on the word 'safe', as in Otomate has at least one game a year that's not a remake/remaster and which is generally considered good - good word of mouth, nothing as divisive as DL etc.

Other than the second half of the Hakuoki remake, Collar x Malice has been the best selling Otomate game this year, so it's not that silly :p

Is it? Could've sworn I've seen some others selling more. Maybe they weren't from Otomate.

Hakuouki Shinkai - Hana no Shou 2016 Idea Factory 10,526
Collar x Malice 2016 Idea Factory 7,271
Nil Admirari no Tenbin: Teito Genwaku 2016 Idea Factory 6,987
Moujuu-Tachi to Ohimesama 2016 Idea Factory 4,765
Period Cube 2016 Idea Factory 3,850
7'scarlet 2016 Idea Factory 3,128

That's what I have for 2016. Keep in mind these are FW only sales, most otome games drop out of the top 20 after one week but will have sold more than this.

WoM on CxM seems good so it'll probably sell a bit better than the others over time, though I think that depends on whether they restocked it - amazon.jp is still out of stock I think.

Saphirax

Hakuouki Shinkai - Hana no Shou 2016 Idea Factory 10,526
Collar x Malice 2016 Idea Factory 7,271
Nil Admirari no Tenbin: Teito Genwaku 2016 Idea Factory 6,987
Moujuu-Tachi to Ohimesama 2016 Idea Factory 4,765
Period Cube 2016 Idea Factory 3,850
7'scarlet 2016 Idea Factory 3,128

That's what I have for 2016. Keep in mind these are FW only sales, most otome games drop out of the top 20 after one week but will have sold more than this.

WoM on CxM seems good so it'll probably sell a bit better than the others over time, though I think that depends on whether they restocked it - amazon.jp is still out of stock I think.

You missed Kyoukai no Shirayuki! And you also reminded me that the word of mouth for Beast and Princess isn't that good.

Am happy CxM is doing well. At least when it comes to otome games. Hopefully the sequel to Psychedelica and the C:R fandisc end up being good as well.

You missed Kyoukai no Shirayuki! And you also reminded me that the word of mouth for Beast and Princess isn't that good.

I didn't, it just didn't chart in the Media Create top 20 ;P

27./00. [PSV] Kyoukai no Shirayuki # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2016.05.26} (¥6.300)

#20 game was this:

20./09. [3DS] My Hero Academia: Battle for All <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.05.19} (¥5.700) - 2.810 / 8.417 (-50%)

So it did pretty poorly :(

Is Psychadelica getting a sequel?

Saphirax

#20 game was this:

20./09. [3DS] My Hero Academia: Battle for All <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.05.19} (¥5.700) - 2.810 / 8.417 (-50%)

Yikes, that's pretty bad. I suppose the art was too unappealing?

And, yes it is! Coming out in a few weeks and it looks gorgeous.

https://vndb.org/v18643

jacket.png

Edit: Can anyone who has been following the game and/or knows Japanese tell me who the main love interests are?

http://www.otomate.jp/psychedelica/aa-nisus/chara/

At first I assumed it'd be Tower Overlord, Lavan, and Levi. Then they added Lugus, and judging by some screenshots it seems like Hugh could be a LI as well? But then someone mentioned how a 'love end' is mentioned for other characters, but not the Tower overlord. They also mentioned it could be because his is the true route, but I've no idea and it's bugging me :p.

jzbluz

#20 game was this:

Too bad, the reception for Shirayuki was pretty good and the art was interesting (I love how Kinako draws women). A lot of Otomate games actually sell better in Famitsu so that's something to consider.

Nil Admirari 9, 749
CxM 9, 406
Shirayuki 2, 646

Nil Admirari sold pretty well, which is probably why it's getting a sequel and an anime.

And yeah, Psychedelica is getting a sequel/prequel that has nothing to do with the original story (for now at least). I really hope it turns out good and we get one game from the series at least.

I think I like the art better than the first game.

And, yes it is! Coming out in a few weeks and it looks gorgeous.

And yeah, Psychedelica is getting a sequel/prequel that has nothing to do with the original story (for now at least). I really hope it turns out good and we get one game from the series at least.

Oh wow, that's one to keep an eye on. Guess it gives us another slight window for Aksys to pick the series up for the west then!

pariah164

Enjoy! I'm allergic to cats too so I'm kind of in Zen's boat with the cats.. but it's so cute how much Jumin loves them lol
Funnily enough, after a while, I got on the Jaehee route. Which suits me fine; Jaehee is great. I definitely need a break after this; I have NEVER checked my phone so much before.

jzbluz

Any recommendations for vita imports that have English subs?

The closest thing you're going to get is if someone fan translates the script. The only otome game that comes to mind is Amnesia, but that translation never finished since the game was licensed. If you don't mind bl, someone is translating Gakuen Heaven 2 and Taisho Mebiusline had the common route translated, although for the second one, the Vita port has a slightly different script.

Edit: I now remember that there's this youtuber named Dirili who translates Vita games. I don't think she has finished any, but she has translated parts of Trigger Kiss, Arcana Famiglia, etc.

Top Bottom