• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otome Community Thread: Happiness isn't a limited commodity, my love is boundless!

So, possibly a question that has been asked time and again: I own a Vita and I'm new to the genre. In the past I played several VNs like 999, VLR, Steins;Gate. I'd consider myself pretty open minded so I guess that pretty everything would fly, though I must say I would especially appreciate something which features strong characters. What do you recommend gaf?

The best thing about PC coming out is that it can only go uphill from there. Hopefully Aksys says something about other otome games soon.

So Code Realize FD; then Bad Apple Wars; then Collar x Malice last right?

That would be too long for the one I'm most looking forward to :(

So, possibly a question that has been asked time and again: I own a Vita and I'm new to the genre. In the past I played several VNs like 999, VLR, Steins;Gate. I'd consider myself pretty open minded so I guess that pretty everything would fly, though I must say I would especially appreciate something which features strong characters. What do you recommend gaf?

Code Realize. Really strong characters and very little romance, good entry point to the genre from other VN's

Shizuka

Get Code Realize for the Vita.

Saphirax

Code:Realize and Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds and its second part (when they both come out). C:R is a steampunk VN with some great characters. Hakuoki is one of the longer VNs but only give it a go if you enjoy historical settings.

You may also want to keep an eye out for CollarxMalice which should be out by the end of this year.

So Code Realize FD; then Bad Apple Wars; then Collar x Malice last right?

That would be too long for the one I'm most looking forward to :(

Code Realize. Really strong characters and very little romance, good entry point to the genre from other VN's

I'd say BAW before C:R, but the fandisc is really short so we may end up getting it first.

Code:Realize and Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds and its second part (when they both come out). C:R is a steampunk VN with some great characters. Hakuoki is one of the longer VNs but only give it a go if you enjoy historical settings.

You may also want to keep an eye out for CollarxMalice which should be out by the end of this year.

Get Code Realize for the Vita.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Gotta put in the usual plug for Sweet Fuse, the characters are fun and the story is rather engrossing. Super cute.

jzbluz

I would've taken any other game over PC.

Imagine if we got Psychedelica instead. That would've been amazing.

I'm still surprised we didn't. I've heard it's short and more story driven than romantic, so it should have a wider audience appeal than PC. Maybe they think the otome fandom wouldn't have liked it since it's
bittersweet.

Saphirax

I'm still surprised we didn't. I've heard it's short and more story driven than romantic, so it should have a wider audience appeal than PC. Maybe they think the otome fandom wouldn't have liked it since it's
bittersweet.

But...but...Hakuouki - the game Aksys brought over thrice. If anything we should've gotten more games like that :p.

jzbluz

But...but...Hakuouki - the game Aksys brought over thrice. If anything we should've gotten more games like that :p.

Hakuoki was huge, like it used to sell 100k+ huge. Plus, Aksys licensed it after the anime came out. If IFI had been around back then, IF probably wouldn't have let Aksys localize it.

Saphirax

Hakuoki was huge, like it used to sell 100k+ huge. Plus, Aksys licensed it after the anime came out. If IFI had been around back then, IF probably wouldn't have let Aksys localize it.

That's true. I'm still not sure why they went with PC over...anything else really. Even if they wanted a more romance focused game, there's plenty of better choices.

Imagine if we got Psychedelica instead. That would've been amazing.

And now you've just reminded me that this game exists and we're not getting it in the west.

God, I'd have loved it. The second one doesn't appeal to me as much but the first just sounded sooooo good.

I wish had gotten BWS instead of PC; same artist, supposedly better story.

Ehh. I mean, I'll buy either, but I've not been so fussed about BWS from what I've read.

That's true. I'm still not sure why they went with PC over...anything else really. Even if they wanted a more romance focused game, there's plenty of better choices.

As jzbluz says, it's the SAO appeal in the west. If anything, I feel the odd game out in Aksys' announcements is BAW. I mean, it released notably earlier than any of the other games they picked up for starters; and the others had various things going for them (CxM was Otomate's "big" game for the year; PC has the SAO appeal; CR is the fandisc to a game they know did well). BAW has like... Angel Beats appeal?

Estellise

bittersweet.

I actually played Psychedelica recently and can say it's one of the best otoge I've played in a while (in terms of story). It's true it's not focused on romance, but mainly because the common route is longer than actual routes. I also like how it has a set 'canon' story whereas yes--
not all characters get a happy end.

I'm in progress of playing the second one and I really like it so far. It has a medieval theme and the Heroine is amazing. Not only is she strong physically, but mentally as well. Also voiced heroine's in both games is a plus.

Anyway, I'm honestly surprised Aksys hasn't picked up on these games. Although Collar x Malice was definitely a good choice, I definitely think Psychedelica would be well liked in the west. Also Higurashi fans, Eiko Shimamiya sings the ending and its amazing.

and even if they'll be the last ones Aksys brings to the Vita.

I'd imagine that'll depend on how well they sell, really. They've clearly got otome cheerleaders in their office, they just need the sales to back it up.

I'll be there for Collar x Malice day 1, unsure about the rest though.

Shizuka

I'd imagine that'll depend on how well they sell, really. They've clearly got otome cheerleaders in their office, they just need the sales to back it up.

I'll be there for Collar x Malice day 1, unsure about the rest though.

Not that I have any competition, but I'm lined up to review all of them for the website I write for. I can't wait for all the visual novels I'll get to play this year.

Saphirax

SAO is garbage though...then again it's not like PC is much better. And yeah, everyone has been praising both Psychedelica games, it's a huge bummer that they probably won't get localized.

I guess releasing C:R and Norn9 a month apart didn't work out so well for Aksys (not a huge surprise), but I do hope we don't have to wait too long. I'd like to play CxM this year.

Saphirax

Can we just confirm again: this is just the first part of the story, so before everyone becomes a
hot vampire
?
Why bother?

Yes, it's the first part. We'll be getting the second one soon after. Don't see a problem.

Edit: Oh, no - they haven't changed the damn font. IFI pls...

Nudull

Banned
Sucks that I'm Vita-less at the moment, since I'm itching to try some new otome stuff and I'm limited by the PS4 and PC. XD

I feel like picking up Hatoful Boyfriend, but I'm not too sure what else I might enjoy.

LET THE RECORD REFLECT I PUT MINE THERE FIRST 8'D Hmm... is it better to wait for this than buying both Hakuokis for Vita? Argh. How many times am I going to pay Otomate for the same damn samurai boys lol. I'm a mess.

I'm a bit disappointed, I was hoping they moved to the Switch since I like my handhelds better. I guess I will have to rely on remote play.

It's still early to be disappointed, maybe Hakuouki won't do it yet but they were on 3DS. I think Switch is a great fit for otome and I hope other devs will agree. Nintendo has just made it a bit difficult yet to get your hands on them. I'm sure in the next couple of years things will change.

Saphirax

As I've mentioned to a few friends already, I'll probably quit gaming once the Vita is done. I'll probably pick that odd title here and there for the PS4 or PC, but that's it. I'm not sure the PS4 is the right "choice", they'd probably be more successful releasing all Otomate titles on PC next.

While there are some otome games being released for PCs, this is Japan we're talking about. A lot of PC VNs got ported to psp/vita for a reason. This is kind of a tricky situation because Sony isn't releasing another portable and the audience for otome games simply isn't there on Nintendo's platform(s). Nothing is stopping them from releasing games for both ps4 and switch though. Should be fine as long as they can sell their merchandise, even if game sales continue to dip.

Wonder how this'll affect the sales of the first Shinkai on Vita. I can see plenty of people just waiting for the PS4 version now since it's both games in one. Already happening in this thread lol.

As I've mentioned to a few friends already, I'll probably quit gaming once the Vita is done. I'll probably pick that odd title here and there for the PS4 or PC, but that's it. I'm not sure the PS4 is the right "choice", they'd probably be more successful releasing all Otomate titles on PC next.

I also wonder where I'll end up with Vita finally goes. It's kept me interested in gaming during a time I'd probably just have quit. PS4 is the obvious choice, but I have one already and hardly ever use it.

Estellise

I think they'll probably try porting their most popular titles to PS4. So games like Amnesia, Diabolik Lovers, even Collar x Malice and Nil Admirari will probably end up on PS4 at some point. I wouldn't necessarily be against PS4 exclusives, but I feel like they'll be aiming for popular titles for consoles atm.

That being said, I still prefer portable consoles to play otome games (cause why wouldn't you want boys sweet talking to you personally on your handheld?) but I don't think they'll leave the Vita any time soon. Otomate released PSP games up until 2 years ago while the Vita had already been out for some time. Hell, maybe by then Sony will have a new portable system.

Saphirax

LET THE RECORD REFLECT I PUT MINE THERE FIRST 8'D Hmm... is it better to wait for this than buying both Hakuokis for Vita? Argh. How many times am I going to pay Otomate for the same damn samurai boys lol. I'm a mess.

It's still early to be disappointed, maybe Hakuouki won't do it yet but they were on 3DS. I think Switch is a great fit for otome and I hope other devs will agree. Nintendo has just made it a bit difficult yet to get your hands on them. I'm sure in the next couple of years things will change.

It really depends if IFI brings the ps4 version over. The game is coming out in Japan this year and it doesn't seem like anything new will be included, so it's up to you.

Edit: This reminded me; the ps3 Hakuoki was awesome because, after you finished a character's route, you also unlocked said character's ps3 theme. You ended up with a bunch of nice themes and it wasn't just one image per theme either. The only thing they lacked was music. They even had their own customized icons. Wonder if the vita version has something similar.

Itsuki

I remember IF porting Hakuoki and Hiiro no Kakera to the PS3 but after those games, they moved from PS2 to PSP.
I want Otomate to move to the Switch when the Vita is finished because I prefer playing Otome games on portable consoles. I don't think Otome games are leaving the Vita soon after seeing how otomes were released for PSP until 2015~2016.
And I don't know if this was mentioned here but Otomate is porting Natsuzora no Monologue to iOS and Android. I don't know if this means that Otomate is going to port other games if it sells well.

jzbluz

It really depends if IFI brings the ps4 version over. The game is coming out in Japan this year and it doesn't seem like anything new will be included, so it's up to you.

Edit: This reminded me; the ps3 Hakuoki was awesome because, after you finished a character's route, you also unlocked said character's ps3 theme. You ended up with a bunch of nice themes and it wasn't just one image per theme either. The only thing they lacked was music. They even had their own customized icons. Wonder if the vita version has something similar.

I feel like the only reason we got those was because of Aksys, but I could be wrong. Hakuoki does have Vita themes, but I doubt IFI will give them away if they even bring them.

And I don't know if this was mentioned here but Otomate is porting Natsuzora no Monologue to iOS and Android. I don't know if this means that Otomate is going to port other games if it sells well.

Kickstarter incoming?

So there's a collection of the two halves of the game announced already!
What!
I really want to support more Hakuoki, but I'm not going to by the same game 4 times, 2 of them only in pieces. :/

I do feel like the timing is pretty crappy announcing a collection of both games two months before the western release of just one half for Vita =/

Hollycat

I need something good that can be played on a windows tablet to tide me over for a few days. Something with a female main character preferably. Any ideas?

jzbluz

I do feel like the timing is pretty crappy announcing a collection of both games two months before the western release of just one half for Vita =/

Doesn't that happen all the time these days for Vita? At least the PS4 version probably won't have substantial extras that they refuse to add to the Vita. I wish they would at least lower the price on the Vita version so we could get price parity, but they probably think that us getting the Vita version earlier is good enough.

I need something good that can be played on a windows tablet to tide me over for a few days. Something with a female main character preferably. Any ideas?

Amnesia? Hatoful? I've heard good things of Nameless, Dandelion, Hustle Cat, The Royal Trap, and How to Take off Your Mask if you don't mind something not Japanese.

Doesn't that happen all the time these days for Vita? At least the PS4 version probably won't have substantial extras that they refuse to add to the Vita. I wish they would at least lower the price on the Vita version so we could get price parity, but they probably think that us getting the Vita version earlier is good enough.

The worst case of this happening was Amnesia Memories, when it launched on Steam & Vita the same day and was literally double the price on Vita. Still kinda bitter about that one.

And yes, it does keep happening, that doesn't make it okay though :p

Top Bottom