• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otome Community Thread: Happiness isn't a limited commodity, my love is boundless!

Saphirax

You guys are reading into that much more positively than I am. The language used is pretty conservative, with talk about how difficult it is to break even and how much work it is to localize.

Breaking even would depend on their porting costs if they decided to do it. Putting Amnesia on PC and mobile as well as Vita was a good move. Hopefully the porting job wasn't expensive and they're happy with the sales.

Prelude.

Well, it sold 20k copies (half of them when it was 2.99) on Steam. If thay're happy with that I guess there's no reason to not keep going.
I'd be more interested in C:R and N9 since they're both Otomate as well but he's an IFI guy after all.

Well, it sold 20k copies (half of them when it was 2.99) on Steam. If thay're happy with that I guess there's no reason to not keep going.
I'd be more interested in C:R and N9 since they're both Otomate as well but he's an IFI guy after all.

Well they'll probably be looking closely at the sales of those two titles as they'd be good indicators of the Vita market for otome games. Though IFI targets more platforms.

Amnesia's sales on Steam were good for the VN market even before the huge sale, but I have no idea what kind of expectations they have.

moozoom

Already posted in the community thread of COOT, but I guess it could interest some people here :

Super Health Club has been (finally) released !

Watched my Bf play a little last night : the character art by DongSaeng is gorgeous ( some backgrounds could be better but are nice )
4YAoJey.png

The game is a "schedule dating sim" (not sure if there is a specific terme for those) and only features muscled "bara-like" dudes, I've myself not played yet so I'll try to share some impressions later.

cj_iwakura

Already posted in the community thread of COOT, but I guess it could interest some people here :

Watched my Bf play a little last night : the character art by DongSaeng is gorgeous ( some backgrounds could be better but are nice )
4YAoJey.png

The game is a "schedule dating sim" (not sure if there is a specific terme for those) and only features muscled "bara-like" dudes, I've myself not played yet so I'll try to share some impressions later.

Post if you're okay, Hours Left.

4YAoJey.png

Those dudes are cute, but the schedule bit sounds nightmarish and you can spy on them in the bathroom? :I I don't know about that...

Shizuka

4YAoJey.png

I'm not keen on western BL, that's why the only one I've ever bought is NTY, even if the demo for that and COOT were sweet.

Saphirax

Why would you want to be Cardia?! The whole (Code: Realize spoilers)
no touching due to poison thing... not ever in some endings

Because she's a strong heroine unlike most others. She learns quickly and doesn't simply wait around for other people. She's also quite capable.

I'm not saying she's not a good heroine but surely the entire point of being an otome heroine is the boys, and that's rough for Cardia. :p

I've always been confused if Yuri games count as Otome games. LOL really confused.

Yuri is often refereed to as Shoujo Ai (Girl love), and Otome is usually intermingled with Shoujo (girl), so is Yuri under Otome, or are they completely separate?

Shizuka

I've always been confused if Yuri games count as Otome games. LOL really confused.

Yuri is often refereed to as Shoujo Ai (Girl love), and Otome is usually intermingled with Shoujo (girl), so is Yuri under Otome, or are they completely separate?

Otome would be you controlling a girl and there are several guys you can romance. Yuri is a girl romancing other girls.

gaiages

Banned
I played a bit of Hatoful Boyfriend today, and got about ... eight of the endings? This game's pretty darn short, lol. Here's some impressions, some without names because I forgot them:

Childhood friend bird - That's bittersweet.

Sakuya - Meh. I got his endings first and was largely unimpressed.

Yuuka (Yuu-something?) - Played after Shuu's and wanted to figure out his motives. Cool.

Teacher bird - Meh.

Shuu - Funny story involving this path actually. I got to the part where Shuu sent a gift to the MC for Xmas, and
of course I knew immediately what happened, so I started laughing somewhat manically, which I do when a game manages to freak me out, lol. My neighbor was walking by just as I started that (walls are paper-thing) and I'm pretty sure he heard me :p

I have Oka San's path left for the "normal" birdies (I'm already :/ towards it) and then I'll delve a bit more into the... more unusual paths?

Anyway, I'm actually not quite sure how to think of it. It's a good game, and doesn't rely fully on its humor, but I'm thinking that it wouldn't be nearly as good narrative wise if these weren't birds. But, then again, that *is* the point of the game. So it's alright.

Shizuka

I played a bit of Hatoful Boyfriend today, and got about ... eight of the endings? This game's pretty darn short, lol. Here's some impressions, some without names because I forgot them:

Childhood friend bird - That's bittersweet.

Sakuya - Meh. I got his endings first and was largely unimpressed.

Yuuka (Yuu-something?) - Played after Shuu's and wanted to figure out his motives. Cool.

Teacher bird - Meh.

Shuu - Funny story involving this path actually. I got to the part where Shuu sent a gift to the MC for Xmas, and
of course I knew immediately what happened, so I started laughing somewhat manically, which I do when a game manages to freak me out, lol. My neighbor was walking by just as I started that (walls are paper-thing) and I'm pretty sure he heard me :p

I have Oka San's path left for the "normal" birdies (I'm already :/ towards it) and then I'll delve a bit more into the... more unusual paths?

Anyway, I'm actually not quite sure how to think of it. It's a good game, and doesn't rely fully on its humor, but I'm thinking that it wouldn't be nearly as good narrative wise if these weren't birds. But, then again, that *is* the point of the game. So it's alright.

Just you wait for the true route. It'll blow your mind.

Jazz573

Quick question are there any differences between the PSP/3DS/PS3 versions of Hakuoki? I only ask because each version has a different subtitle.

Shizuka

Just finished Toma's route on Amnesia: Memories, and... How can Japan turn Stockholm syndrome into romance? That's some twisted shit.

gaiages

Banned
Just finished Toma's route on Amnesia: Memories, and... How can Japan turn Stockholm syndrome into romance? That's some twisted shit.

OMG YES WTF

I was so mad when I got the bad end too for basically picking decisions that I thought were best for the situation (aka "Uh this ain't right"). :/

Saphirax

The only thing worse than recalling Toma's route is seeing other people fawning over him and describing him as 'overprotective' in a positive way. Vomit.

The only thing worse than recalling Toma's route is seeing other people fawning over him and describing him as 'overprotective' in a positive way. Vomit.

And in not one of the routes he gets arrested. That's ridiculous.

A-fucking-men, lol. Truly the worst Otome dude I have ever encountered... other than Tei from Nameless.

Shizuka

Just finished all routes and endings on Amnesia: Memories and I don't get why it's so popular. All the routes are subpar, except for Kent's. The true ending is the most underwhelming I've seen in a visual novel. Even Hatoful Boyfriend is a better otome game than Amnesia.

Just finished all routes and endings on Amnesia: Memories and I don't get why it's so popular. All the routes are subpar, except for Kent's. The true ending is the most underwhelming I've seen in a visual novel. Even Hatoful Boyfriend is a better otome game than Amnesia.

The true ending is completely insane and entirely unsatisfying and I don't really get it. As far as I'm concerned the true ending is anything but that one and Toma's. :I

retrouvailles

Neo Member
Hello! I am completely new to NeoGAF and to this thread but not to otome! My name is Melanie and it is nice to meet you all!

I noticed an earlier point of discussion in this thread was our first otome so I thought that would be a nice point for an icebreaker. My first true otome was Hakuoki and Okita was my favorite. I've played through Amnesia Memories (Ikki was my favorite), Code: Realize (I was a sucker for Lupin in the end), and have recently picked up Norn9 though that has been put on hold as I've been playing some non-otomes on my Vita.

I've also started Hatoful Boyfriend and have put Sweet Fuse on my wishlist for later. I've also played some phone otomes but the platform and overwhelming influence of capitalism on them make me quite iffy.

I noticed someone else classify Persona 3 Portable as their initial otome so you could say that is actually mine but I got into Persona for being challenging RPGs rather than romancing other castmates, I never considered it to be otome. Still, P3P is a special game in my heart!

I am looking forward to Ozmafia and I hope we might get localizations of Collar x Mallice and the rerelease of Angelique Retour. Also I've been meaning to play the fan translations of Black Wolves Saga and Storm Lover Kai but I always have issues with buttons jamming on my PSP emulator so if anyone has advice, I am all ears!

Of what I have played, I would likely say Code: Realize is my favorite otome for the sheer growth and likable qualities of Cardia as well as a nice cast of suitors, a lovely setting depicted through beautiful art, and well-composed music to compliment it and tie it together.

Saphirax

Hello! I am completely new to NeoGAF and to this thread but not to otome! My name is Melanie and it is nice to meet you all!

I noticed an earlier point of discussion in this thread was our first otome so I thought that would be a nice point for an icebreaker. My first true otome was Hakuoki and Okita was my favorite. I've played through Amnesia Memories (Ikki was my favorite), Code: Realize (I was a sucker for Lupin in the end), and have recently picked up Norn9 though that has been put on hold as I've been playing some non-otomes on my Vita.

I've also started Hatoful Boyfriend and have put Sweet Fuse on my wishlist for later. I've also played some phone otomes but the platform and overwhelming influence of capitalism on them make me quite iffy.

I noticed someone else classify Persona 3 Portable as their initial otome so you could say that is actually mine but I got into Persona for being challenging RPGs rather than romancing other castmates, I never considered it to be otome. Still, P3P is a special game in my heart!

I am looking forward to Ozmafia and I hope we might get localizations of Collar x Mallice and the rerelease of Angelique Retour. Also I've been meaning to play the fan translations of Black Wolves Saga and Storm Lover Kai but I always have issues with buttons jamming on my PSP emulator so if anyone has advice, I am all ears!

Of what I have played, I would likely say Code: Realize is my favorite otome for the sheer growth and likable qualities of Cardia as well as a nice cast of suitors, a lovely setting depicted through beautiful art, and well-composed music to compliment it and tie it together.

Welcome! C:R is amazing. Sweet Fuse also has a strong heroine so you'd like it. CxM and AR localizations would be a nice surprise!

retrouvailles

Neo Member
Thank you for the welcome! Sweet Fuse looks fantastic to me, it's just a matter of buying it and deciding what to take off my vita to make room for it as I am certainly in no position to upgrade my memory card after Christmas shopping! But I will absolutely post some reactions here when I do play it!

gaiages

Banned
Welcome retrouvailles~!

Let's see, I just finished Hatoful Boyfriend tonight, what a frickin' ride.
I caught on to *most* of the twists, but not all. It become apparent after the whole new virus reveal that Ryouta would have something to do with it, and that the human was in the machine somehow (which also made Shuu's full ending make a bit more, really creepy sense), but I was not expecting Negeki's whole story arc, and the teacher being Hitori and going more or less insane. I did expect something weird was up with Sakuya with his full ending, but not really the egg switching thing. But yeah, it was crazy. I enjoyed it.

Also, I wanted a VN to play on my tablet in bed, so I decided on The Royal Trap. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, though I heard it's from the person who made Long Live the Queen, and a love political intrigue stories, so this sounded cool. Now that I'm on Chapter 6d (what does that mean? Did I do well, or bad? Am I on Oscar's path? @_@), I'm still not quite sure what to think.

First off, the art is wildly inconsistent, like almost on the level of Shadow Dragon inconsistent. The normal character art goes from okay to 'that's not how humans look', but the CGs looks really damn good. It's weird.

The story is interesting, but I don't like how you're practically shipped with Oscar from the beginning. Don't get me wrong, it makes sense, but it makes all the other character paths seem really forced. I mean, if the character
doesn't believe she is high enough rank to marry a prince, since she's a servant and all that, why are the other princes so much of a better offer?
... but anyway. I took the bait and I'm on Oscar's path (I think?), and it's interesting enough, but I'm a little sad a certain plot twist didn't keep going, it would have been *very* interesting.

But still, there's some story left to it, and more mysteries to uncover, though they seem like they're going to be predictable now, unfortunately. We'll see how it goes~

cj_iwakura

So are the 'worlds' in Amnesia how the route is determined, or just the PC's personality? That's a weird way of going about it. Went Clover and she's a psych major.

gaiages

Banned
So are the 'worlds' in Amnesia how the route is determined, or just the PC's personality? That's a weird way of going about it. Went Clover and she's a psych major.

Worlds amount to the path you're on. Clover = Kent. (Other worlds in case you didn't wanna be spoiled)
Heart = Shin, Diamond = Toma, Spade = Ikki.

cj_iwakura

Worlds amount to the path you're on. Clover = Kent. (Other worlds in case you didn't wanna be spoiled)
Heart = Shin, Diamond = Toma, Spade = Ikki.

I vastly prefer how Sweet Fuse and Hakuoki handle it, where choices determine the path. Oh well.

Kirie

Ah, yeah that's the second part of Shinkai.

Shinkai got a few bad scores on amazon.jp because they had split the games into two seperate releases. People were rather upset about it because they weren't aware of that fact before they bought the game. Not sure if it was marketed that way or not though.

gaiages

Banned
So wait, the PS3 version was essentially half the game, or am I getting confused?

Darn this series and its oogles of remakes/ports

Saphirax

So wait, the PS3 version was essentially half the game, or am I getting confused?

Darn this series and its oogles of remakes/ports

No no. The PS3 version was the complete version + the fandisc. Then they decided to do a remake for the Vita. The original's game historical focus was on the Shinsengumi and they decided to expand it in the remake so it'd focus on the other side as well. In the process they added 6 new routes. The game ended up being so big it had to be split in two.

jzbluz

I don't really want more Hakuoki, even if it has new content or it's a whole new game. But odds are that I would feel like I would have to buy it anyway just to support the market.

Shizuka

I'd rather keep seeing new games than fandiscs or sequels. Otomate has dozens otome series, let us have a taste of them all before sequels.

ShyMel

I'd rather keep seeing new games than fandiscs or sequels. Otomate has dozens otome series, let us have a taste of them all before sequels.
Exactly. As much as I want a Shinpachi route, slow down with all the Hakuoki stuff Otomate. Focus on new games instead please.

Top Bottom