• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otome Community Thread: Happiness isn't a limited commodity, my love is boundless!

Prelude.

By the way, what are fandiscs exactly? I mean, the term is apparently self explanatory but why do they release them officially with the game? How does that work?

Chaos17

By the way, what are fandiscs exactly? I mean, the term is apparently self explanatory but why do they release them officially with the game? How does that work?

As far as I know, it's happy endings in general for the fans.
For example :
In Hakuoki, Okita seems never to wake up in "good" ending

Saphirax

It's a double-edged sword really. I'd like other Otomate games to get localised as well, but there's always the possibility we end up getting a really bad one. At least I know Hakuouki is a good game for the most part :p.

jzbluz

They do when the game is a port/remake and the fandisc has already been released. Much better value for your money.

It's a double-edged sword really. I'd like other Otomate games to get localised as well, but there's always the possibility we end up getting a really bad one. At least I know Hakuouki is a good game for the most part :p.

But most Otomate games have been reviewed, so for the most part we know what we can expect. Plus, there's still tons of well received games that we haven't gotten yet. I still want Clock Zero, Psychedelica, Juuzaengi, Beast and Master, and NinKoi. I also kinda want Hanaichi but I don't think that game would do as well here as other ones.

Oh, and I want the WoF remake. I saw some scans the other day, but I'm still anxiously waiting for Otomate to open the website.

Shizuka

90% of the people I know that played Hakuoki thought it was boring, myself included. If they want an otome that could please a wider crowd, there are better choices.

Prelude.

As far as I know, it's happy endings in general for the fans.
Didn't read the whole spoiler since I never played a Hakuoki.
So it's like non-canon alternative endings or more like expanding on a certains character's route and make it more fulfilling?

Saphirax

They do when the game is a port/remake and the fandisc has already been released. Much better value for your money.

But most Otomate games have been reviewed, so for the most part we know what we can expect. Plus, there's still tons of well received games that we haven't gotten yet. I still want Clock Zero, Psychedelica, Juuzaengi, Beast and Master, and NinKoi. I also kinda want Hanaichi but I don't think that game would do as well here as other ones.

Oh, and I want the WoF remake. I saw some scans the other day, but I'm still anxiously waiting for Otomate to open the website.

90% of the people I know that played Hakuoki thought it was boring, myself included. If they want an otome that could please a wider crowd, there are better choices.

Seeing how Hakuouki didn't start as an otome game, I can see how some of the fans found it boring.

There's plenty of other otome games I'd want. Juuzaengi would be a steal, especially because that would mean we'd be getting both 1 & 2. Unfortunately, I don't see a lot of people talking about it.

Didn't read the whole spoiler since I never played a Hakuoki.
So it's like non-canon alternative endings or more like expanding on a certains character's route and make it more fulfilling?

Expanding. At least that's how it was in Hakuouki's case.

Kirie

I'd rather keep seeing new games than fandiscs or sequels. Otomate has dozens otome series, let us have a taste of them all before sequels.

Pretty much agree with this for the most part. Still really want the C:R FD localized if it's decent though. Need that Sholmes route!

Anyone get Angelique Retour? My copy should be here tomorrow. Getting some fantastic reviews which is nice!

Saphirax

Oh my God want ;_; <3 Sannan though... he's going to be the scary route isn't he. Yuck. Yamazaki's route seems interesting if only because he didn't have much in the way of a personality in the game. New guys are cute too. Gotta get my Japanese comprehension up so I can play... definitely not holding my breath on a translation u_u;;

Yeah, Sannan always gave me the creeps. I found Yamazaki to be cute even if he didn't have a big presence in the story. I've been following some people's impressions, but so far didn't find any about Sannan and Yamazaki.

More BroCon coming?
CWz0t0xUYAAsdsM.jpg

Also leave Toma alone :( He and Shin were best.
tumblr_miir0dUmnC1rti5weo1_500.jpg

jzbluz

Yeah, Sannan always gave me the creeps. I found Yamazaki to be cute even if he didn't have a big presence in the story. I've been following some people's impressions, but so far didn't find any about Sannan and Yamazaki.

When I was playing Hakuoki, I actually wanted a Sannan route.

More BroCon coming?
CWz0t0xUYAAsdsM.jpg

Well, there's the BroCon port, and the spinoff about the idol brother coming out in 2016.

pariah164

More BroCon coming?
CWz0t0xUYAAsdsM.jpg

Also leave Toma alone :( He and Shin were best.
tumblr_miir0dUmnC1rti5weo1_500.jpg
Toma is shit. Shiiiiiiiiiit.

Real talk, I hated his route. Fucking yandere creeper piece of absolute garbage.

On a different subject, how do you push yourself to finish an otome that just doesn't hold your interest? I haven't touched Norn9 in weeks; I want to Platinum it and put it to bed, but I always find something more appealing to do. It's not a bad game. It's just that the last two routes I played were so boring. It's an odd feeling.

Shizuka

Real talk, I hated his route. Fucking yandere creeper piece of absolute garbage.

On a different subject, how do you push yourself to finish an otome that just doesn't hold your interest? I haven't touched Norn9 in weeks; I want to Platinum in and put it to bed, but I always find something more appealing to do. It's not a bad game. It's just that the last two routes I played were so boring. It's an odd feeling.

Maybe the feeling that you'll have 100% every otome on the platform? I'm only missing Norn9 and the recently released Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star.

pariah164

Maybe the feeling that you'll have 100% every otome on the platform? I'm only missing Norn9 and the recently released Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star.
I have Sweet Fuse, Hakuoki, Amnesia, Code: Realize, and Norn9. No Hatoful since I just couldn't get into it. But I can see your point. Maybe I'll plow through the routes this weekend after shopping.

On a different subject, how do you push yourself to finish an otome that just doesn't hold your interest? I haven't touched Norn9 in weeks; I want to Platinum it and put it to bed, but I always find something more appealing to do. It's not a bad game. It's just that the last two routes I played were so boring. It's an odd feeling.

Funny enough I also haven't touched Norn9 in weeks either. I took it out of my Vita to try the new Hakuoki game and I've just been a bit busy but usually Otome ruin my life for a few days or a week or however long it takes me to get through all the routes. Norn9 is just.. fine, I think. It hasn't set my heart on fire like some other games have, I can't tell if it's the sort of strange story or the art, or just having way too many routes and characters too choose from.

pariah164

Funny enough I also haven't touched Norn9 in weeks either. I took it out of my Vita to try the new Hakuoki game and I've just been a bit busy but usually Otome ruin my life for a few days or a week or however long it takes me to get through all the routes. Norn9 is just.. fine, I think. It hasn't set my heart on fire like some other games have, I can't tell if it's the sort of strange story or the art, or just having way too many routes and characters too choose from.
I played Norn9 after platinuming Amnesia and Code:Realize. Both games had rich storylines and intriguing heroes. Norn9 kind of falls short. They sacrificed deep storytelling in order to fit in all the guys, and it just has a feeling of being empty or incomplete, in my opinion.

I played Norn9 after platinuming Amnesia and Code:Realize. Both games had rich storylines and intriguing heroes. Norn9 kind of falls short. They sacrificed deep storytelling in order to fit in all the guys, and it just has a feeling of being empty or incomplete, in my opinion.

I think you're right--the stories have to be so short that it doesn't really feel like you've earned the relationship or whatever, it's all kind of hustled along. It's more overtly romantic than Code: Realize was, but the story is not as good and the relationships aren't as deep so it's all a bit shallow.

retrouvailles

Neo Member
Similarly, I haven't even finished a route in Norn9. I put it down in favor of non-otome games such as Dangan Ronpa: Another Episode and Persona 4 Golden. It just didn't grab my interest as immediately as other otomes have. I did, however, also begin Sweet Fuse which I have been enjoying much more! I still need to platinum Code: Realize but I am missing maybe four glossary words. If there is a guide specifically for the glossary, let me know!

Also Toma is just... euch. Why. (And he is the most popular among Japanese fans, so I've heard. That isn't good news.)

Saphirax

I only liked 3 routes in Norn9, but the lack of appealing storytelling really drags the game down. That would be bad enough on its own, but then you have to deal with absolutely shitty routes and it just kills your desire to play the game. I had to force myself to go through the bad ones.

PKrockin

Is this more or less the thread for Norn9 now? Anyway, my sister absolutely loves it. Kakeru is her hasubando. One or two of those other must-play otome games I asked for in the Norn9 thread are definitely going to be birthday presents.

retrouvailles

Neo Member
I'm letting Norn9 sit until I have the urge to play it and until after I finish up Sweet Fuse and a few other games that are simply higher priorities on my list. Heck, the new Hatoful Boyfriend is probably a higher priority at the moment.

gaiages

Banned

I don't blame you for not wanting to Platinum Norn9, especially since it requires more than just seeing all the endings. I found that game quite boring at points (a lot of points) too.

If you're not a trophy hunter, and not having fun, why force yourself to play it? :D

IMO, out of the Vita otomes that released this year, both Code: Realize and Amnesia were better. Well... unless XBlaze counts. XBlaze is not good. But I think that's a normal VN anyway.

(says the person with the Norn9 avatar)

Saphirax

I don't blame you for not wanting to Platinum Norn9, especially since it requires more than just seeing all the endings. I found that game quite boring at points (a lot of points) too.

If you're not a trophy hunter, and not having fun, why force yourself to play it? :D

IMO, out of the Vita otomes that released this year, both Code: Realize and Amnesia were better. Well... unless XBlaze counts. XBlaze is not good. But I think that's a normal VN anyway.

(says the person with the Norn9 avatar)

But, Akito and Nanami are adorable and Akito's route is one of the better ones!

Shizuka

I liked S;G but I did have some issues with it.
Mainly how the romance developed.

But that's because it's not a romance-oriented visual novel. Still, I do think they handled that aspect really well, despite not every ending hitting the mark for me.

Saphirax

But that's because it's not a romance-oriented visual novel. Still, I do think they handled that aspect really well, despite not every ending hitting the mark for me.

What bothered me the most was how they handled Kurisu's romance. It just happened too fast for my liking.

gaiages

Banned
But, Akito and Nanami are adorable and Akito's route is one of the better ones!

Exactly!

Best visual novel to ever hit the Vita in the West was released this year as well, the name is Steins;Gate.

I need to still get to Steins;Gate, I have the Vita copy but I haven't been in the mood for portable gaming much lately.

~

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell everyone about The Royal Trap!

It sucked. The path I played felt incomplete, like I had to play the others to get the full story, but the story in itself isn't really worth a bunch of playthroughs. Also, the whole thing about the main character not being able to marry the prince (well, prince's the path the game *really* wants you to go down, there's four princes) really gets old quick. I guess it's a spoiler, so I'll put it in tags:

Main character "OMG I wanna marry him I love him but I can't that's bad!!"
Prince "I love you!"
MC "No you can't love me, you have to marry this princess for political reasons!"
*Later*
Prince "I'm gonna marry the princess, she seems sorta cool"
MC "I'M SOOOO JEALOOOOOOOUUUUUUUSSSSS"

It's so bad. I of course went for the Happy ending (screw the princess), but the Neutral ending just boils down to choosing to *not* be a jerk and
propose the the prince while he's in the middle of consoling the princess... in front of the princess's family...

But yeah, I doubt I'm gonna work through any of the other paths, I have better VNs and games to play >.>

EDIT: Oh, the music was pretty good, though. When it worked.

jzbluz

Angelique Retour ended up selling 10,180 copies. I thought it was going to sell more, but it must have done well in KT's eyes since it sold 80%-100% of its stock. I really hope we get it, even if we would only get it digitally. I have asked about the game on twitter and even sent an email, but they never respond, although at least they're aren't saying no.

Too bad about The Royal Trap since I was kinda interested in it, but it's not like I don't have a bunch of games that I need to still play. I haven't even bought Stein;Gate, although for that one I decided to wait until the postal service calms down since I have to import.

eefara

Thanks for the thoughts on Royal Trap. Looks like I can safely eliminate that one from the wishlist.

For anyone who's interested, Nameless is 15% on the Steam sale right now! The only times I see Cheritz games go on sale are during the really big ones, and I believe this is the cheapest it's ever been; they don't fall in price often. Definitely go for it if you're interested! The Drama CD that takes place after the events of Nameless has also just been released, and it's 10% off to celebrate.

Cheritz is also doing a little giveaway for their upcoming game, Mystic Messenger. You can send a question to be answered by the MM boys, and every two weeks Cheritz will pick a question. If yours is chose, you'll recieve MM goods. Details are on their Tumblr.

Arthea

I totally don't agree that Royal Trap sucks, I thought it was really good. I don't even understand the complaint, of course you have to play most if not all routes to get the full story.
So basically I gather that gaiages didn't like it solely for the reason of not being able
to marry the prince
, when the most funny part of that is that you can!

Amnesia is cheap, worth trying? I never tried these games before lol.

Amnesia is interesting, to be sure, but it can be perceived as slightly disturbing, if it's your first VN, I probably wouldn't go for Amnesia, rather some short and sweet one, otoh it's totally worth that price.

Sora_N

I totally don't agree that Royal Trap sucks, I thought it was really good. I don't even understand the complaint, of course you have to play most if not all routes to get the full story.
So basically I gather that gaiages didn't like it solely for the reason of not being able
to marry the prince

Amnesia is interesting, to be sure, but it can be perceived as slightly disturbing, if it's your first VN, I probably wouldn't go for Amnesia, rather some short and sweet one, otoh it's totally worth that price.

Disturbing? How so? Unless it's a spoiler.

I don't come here nearly often enough, so I forgot this thread existed, but I'm so glad it does! Especially since I've got a Vita on the way. That being said: Code:Realize or Hakuoki?

Amnesia is cheap, worth trying? I never tried these games before lol.
I just finished the first (Heart) route. I like it! And it's supposed to get better/more intense. I like those sort of things though.

Disturbing? How so? Unless it's a spoiler.

It may be a spoiler to be specific, but if you're familiar with how anime and the like can sometimes romanticize uh... unhealthy behavior, you'll be okay. At least I think that's what the other poster is referring to.

Otherwise it's a decent entry title for otome games. And if you don't like it, at least it was only 3 bucks lol.

gaiages

Banned
to marry the prince

...What? I said that I got Oscar's Happy End. >.>" I even made a point to say screw the princess in my spoilers.

I didn't like it because I don't feel it was well written enough to warrant multiple playthroughs, especially when the game is practically shipping the MC with a particular character. Do I expect everything to be revealed in one path? Of course not, but I expect enough to be explained to give me an interest in the other character paths, which I felt The Royal Trap failed to do. Two of the four love interests get almost next to screen time in Oscar's route (and I'm going to take a stab and assume in Callum's route as well for plot reasons), and the 'intrigue' quickly falls apart, imo. I also feel the things they decided to leave out of the path I played just seem silly. I feel a path should at least give a resolution to most of the stuff in the main plot thread, at least.

For example... (not spoilers, but just in case)
Like wondering why
Callum has such a shitty lot in life
? Yeah, that's a great hook to play another path imo.
Wondering
why the hell there was a sudden revolt in the first place, other than some vague "this woman did it"
? Nah, that's not very great storytelling.
So basically to me, overaraching plot stuff unexplained is :(, and character specific stuff that's unexplained is :)! But I could be in the minority here, it's a preference.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and we are all free to have them :p There are no doubt those that like the game and that's just fine too!

Top Bottom