• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast |OT|

|OT| So scary it'll give you Amnesia.

Dunno if i would have released this game so close to the new Amnesia game. Wonder if it will affect sales.

I'll never get why this seems to keep happening.

blur and split/second released in the same month (blur being an actually good game, the studio is now closed)
Last year we had the ARPG rush where every dev suddenly felt the need to release an arpg in the same 1.5 year period after like 5 years of nothing (torchlight 2 , diablo 3 , dungeon siege, path of exile beta)

I'm guessing that if futuristic racers ever make a return (let's hope so) that 4 of them will be released in the same year as well.

justjim89

Last I heard of The Orphanage, it was a promising looking Slender Man game. Looks like since Valve doesn't approve Slender Man games, they gave him a beak and a hat. Still, looks interesting.

red731

I am so hyper for this game!
We are going to play it with friend today and we are prepared to get scared!

6h22m!!!!! ugghhh

Shane

Embargo lifted. Reviews should start trickling through. Mine's up over at Thunderbolt Games (cautious about posting links whilst I'm a Junior).

That Edge nine!

And that balance is key to Outlast’s success. While there’s rarely any let up in the tension, it always feels like you’re in the hands of a developer at the top of its game, revelling in making the player uncomfortable, but never forgetting to delight at the same time. Outlast’s combination of stealth, platforming and horror is exceptional, the benefits of the diverse experience of its highly talented development team always in plain sight.

This indie age is just so damn exciting. Free PS4 Plus version, here I come!

haikira

I was on the fence, only because I'm on a tighter budget this month that normal, but I'm definitely on board now. Time to purchase while it's still 20% off.

I'll keep my post above updated, as new reviews come in. If anyone here has a review they want in the list, just PM me.

derExperte

I had a feeling that this would end up being a huge disappointment. Damn, what if Amnesia is the failure and I've bet on the wrong horse? Still three hours left to preorder...

haikira

why you want to wait the downgrade version?

rinko_tumblr_lmhrjqo54subo.gif

jaaz

I had a feeling that this would end up being a huge disappointment. Damn, what if Amnesia is the failure and I've bet on the wrong horse? Still three hours left to preorder...

Dude, at $15.99 its about the cost of a decent lunch. Get both!

haikira

Eurogamer are doing a live stream of them playing this in two hours, for those interested in that sort of thing. I'd watch it, but I also want the game to be fresh. Aside from picking out some quotes from reviews, I've been pretty much on blackout since this was announced.

Shane

Eurogamer are doing a live stream of them playing this in two hours, for those interested in that sort of thing. I'd watch it, but I also want the game to be fresh. Aside from picking out some quotes from reviews, I've been pretty much on blackout since this was announced.

Aye, if you're going to get it I'd recommend steering clear of any 'Let's Play'-esque videos.

The high reviews sealed the deal for me, bought it while it's still 20% off. I can probably check this as another game that I'll chicken out on and never finish.

derExperte

Dude, at $15.99 its about the cost of a decent lunch. Get both!

It's not a problem of not having money, though it adds up fast, but the last few weeks I've already been buying indie games by the dozen and my wishlist still keeps growing. I think I'd rather buy Castle of Illusion today, get my horror fix from Amnesia and wait either for a sale or play it on PS4 through PS+.

Nymphae

Banned
RPS review was solid, can't wait to play this on PS4. The first screenshot in their review looks gorgeous to me, it reminds me a bit of the framing story in VHS2 for some reason.

SparkTR

I'd love to support this, but I bought way too many games this past month. It's like someone let the floodgates down and now it just won't slow down.

derFeef

"Will buy on PS4" is the new "Will buy on PC" isn't it?

Aaaanyway, I really did not know this was so much more than simple jump scares, but then I really did not read too much into it and only know the trailers. A horror/Thief hybrid sounds magical to me, I always wanted to have something like that

haikira

What movie is that from?

The Brothers Bloom. It's not as good as the directors first film Brick, but I quite like it.

Pacific Rim has turned me into a fanboy of Rinko Kikuchi. Maybe I'll start giving JaseC a run for his money, with updated avatars and GIFs.

I've already got Amnesia A Machine for Pigs preordered at GOG. I went ahead and ordered Outlast on Steam about 10 minutes ago.

Thank goodness for the indie scene keeping the survival horror genre alive.

haikira

I've already got Amnesia A Machine for Pigs preordered at GOG. I went ahead and ordered Outlast on Steam about 10 minutes ago.

Thank goodness for the indie scene keeping survival horror genre alive.

You're not implying the likes of Resident Evil 6 and Dead Space 3 have failed to do so, are you?

HAHAHAHAHAHA

You're not implying the likes of Resident Evil 6 and Dead Space 3 have failed to do so, are you?

HAHAHAHAHAHA
:D

I do have to give a bit of credit to Zombi U at least. Outside of that, the genre is all but dead in the supposed "AAA" game space.

NAPK1NS

Joystiq, who I usually trust, just credited the game a 9/10. They described it as "petrifying." Man, I'm going to die.

With me crapping my pants already playing the new Amnesia... now Outlast is dropping. My poor heart. I hope my viewers on youtube appreciate the stress I'm putting myself through for their entertainment. lol

StiLt

"Other reviewers might tell you to play it in the dark with headphones on to get the full effect. I say play it in a brightly lit room surrounded by pictures of kittens. The heart can only take so much."

....|OT| nope nope nope nope nope

Think I may just wave you brave souls off at the door actually.

Top Bottom