• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast |OT|

legacyzero

Banned
There is a reason... think about it... ;)

i3T0rNmcdqBC.gif

Animator

I played for 15 minutes or so.

+Game looks really good, the environments are really nicely modeled and the lighting is creepy.

+Had a jump scare already.

-Not happy that
you get to see the enemies right away. Would have preferred a build up

-Seems you can't interact with anything except opening up doors and picking up batteries and documents. That really ruins the exploration mood for me. In a game like this I would like to be able to pick up and examine most everything.

It is really early though so we will see how things pan out later in the game.

Enordash

I'm going to be very proud of myself if I can get through this. My progress in Amnesia is laughable. Of course I went ahead and got AMFP as well.

Those reviews are way better than I was expecting! I really should have pre-ordered while I had the chance. But now I'm definitely picking this up.

Two jumpscares already, great... Nice mood that the game has but it's painful to play with 7.1 headphones, in a good way. Too many little sounds really makes you feel the space around you. Gotta try with stereo mode and see if I can take longer than 30 minutes to start freaking out about having the headphones on.

haikira

Just played it for an hour. I definitely find this far more scary than Amnesia. I actually didn't find Amnesia massively scary though and I'm not saying that to boast, as there are plenty of movies and games I'll happily admit to being very scared of.

Funnily enough, I do have a real problem with insane asylums. I think ever since I watched One flew over the cuckoos nest, when I was far too young to really be watching something like that, I've always been terrified of that sort of thing. Also, REC would be the film that's scared me the most in past years and this game actually reminds me quite a bit of it. So this game really is a match made in hell for me. If it had spiders, it would probably kill me.

Anyway, on to the actual game. It's very good. Stealth feels good, rather than being tedious with trial and error. Atmosphere is amazing and there's a good sense of mystery to the game. One scene had my jump so bad, my neck has been killing me since. There's so many other times I've dreaded opening a door.

Any fans of true horror games should definitely jump on this one. From what i've played so far, the good reviews are very justified.

jaaz

Fully downloaded bitches! Now to wait til the sun goes down to play. And find my pair of Sennheisers too...

A.Romero

I bought it this morning and left my PC on and Steam running.

Will it download automatically so its ready to play when I go back?

haikira

Fully downloaded bitches! Now to wait til the sun goes down to play. And find my pair of Sennheisers too...

Here in the UK, the sun wasn't far from being away when it unlocked, which was handy.

Think I'll hunt out my headphones too, when I'm able to psych myself up for more later.
I'm scared

I bought it this morning and left my PC on and Steam running.

Will it download automatically so its ready to play when I go back?

I don't think so. You'll need to manually start the download for the game.

I think you start the download remotely via the official steam phone app, but I've no personal experience using it.

Installed and played for about 30 minutes before heading back into work. Looks great! No issues I can see performance wise either though I don't expect as such with my rig. 60fps locked so far. Here it is for the sake of posterity:

i5 2500k @4.5ghz
8GB RAM
GTX780

No in-game AA options is a drag and I haven't figured out how to get it enabled but the game is so dark and it employs a noise filter for the visuals so the aliasing isn't really bothersome while in-game (if anyone's figured out how to get it work though let me know! Overriding in the Nvidia control panel doesn't seem to do anything).

Some screenshots:

iX2fdaH3K1ULy.jpg

iNmKNQ8G2aNYW.jpg

ibjdlEhtG6FaBc.jpg

ibpUBwjOAOOe9l.jpg

i3a2Sx5niA2vo.jpg

ioqJjbM4dzxrs.jpg

The
body falling as you open the door near the beginning
scared the ever loving shit outta me!

justjim89

Man, this game is another in the line of recent games that makes me realize I shall soon need to retire my gaming laptop and buy a proper PC. Low settings and still the framerate hovers around 20-25 fps. Still creepy though.

A.Romero

I don't think so. You'll need to manually start the download for the game.

I think you start the download remotely via the official steam phone app, but I've no personal experience using it.

Thanks for the info.

A quick google search showed me the steps to install remotely (from the website) and it should be ready to play when I get home.

Woohoo!

lol yeah i won't be able to play this with headphones anymore. I played about 30 mins or so and had to get back to work, but fuck me, this shit is scurry. I still have the fucking off the hook phone beeping sound in my head.

eXistor

Hate to be the one going against the grain again, but having just played 1.5 hour I've very little reason to believe the high scores are warranted so far. The camera is a neat little addition to these types of games, but so far it's been jump-scare after jump-scare, with zero logic behind a few. It all feels too "directed" you just know something is gonna happen after you do certain actions.

Atmosphere is good though and it looks and controls fine, but it's a very modern game, which brings both good and bad things to the table. Overall, I'm not convinced yet, but I'll keep playing of course. It's no Amnesia though, that's for sure.

Animator

Man are you wearing high heels in this game? I want to scream at the character to make less noise it is like he is slamming his foot down with every step he makes so much noise. :D

Played for about thirty minutes until
I got murdered by something in the basement.
Anyone who loves Amnesia is going to love this.

Thanks for the info.

A quick google search showed me the steps to install remotely (from the website) and it should be ready to play when I get home.

Woohoo!

Don't you have to restart the client though (which isn't possible remotely)? I recall someone having problems with that recently.

Carm

The motion blur is way overdone here, makes me queasy. I'd like to just tone it down but I don't see anything in the ini for that, just on/off. Turned off Depth of Field and found out the nightvision look is tied to that so had to turn that back on.

stufte

Played it for about 25 minutes on my lunch break. Got to the part
where you open the door and the hanging man swings out and the impaled man.
Noped the fuck out soon after that.

I can't wait to play it more when I get home, even though I'm rather terrified at the thought of playing it in my dark basement at night.

A.Romero

Don't you have to restart the client though (which isn't possible remotely)? I recall someone having problems with that recently.

Not sure what you mean... It shows the completion percentage on the website and keeps updating.

You mean maybe the usual Direct X installations that come afterwards?

Krakn3Dfx

Maybe someone asked, but didn't see it.

Does this game have any sort of randomization to add to the replay value, or is it going to be the same on additional playthroughs?

derFeef

The motion blur is way overdone here, makes me queasy. I'd like to just tone it down but I don't see anything in the ini for that, just on/off. Turned off Depth of Field and found out the nightvision look is tied to that so had to turn that back on.

And there seems to be object based blur too which just looks weird on the enemies.

Tak3n

Banned
who else jumped out of their seat when
the wheelchair man attacked, kept thinking it was going to be one of those dudes watching the TV

Not sure what you mean... It shows the completion percentage on the website and keeps updating.

You mean maybe the usual Direct X installations that come afterwards?

If it shows the progress then ok. Someone just recently wanted to pre-load remotely, but the game didn't show up in his library (wasn't unlocked yet or something) and required a restart.

Hate to be the one going against the grain again, but having just played 1.5 hour I've very little reason to believe the high scores are warranted so far. The camera is a neat little addition to these types of games, but so far it's been jump-scare after jump-scare, with zero logic behind a few. It all feels too "directed" you just know something is gonna happen after you do certain actions.

Atmosphere is good though and it looks and controls fine, but it's a very modern game, which brings both good and bad things to the table. Overall, I'm not convinced yet, but I'll keep playing of course. It's no Amnesia though, that's for sure.

You stole words from my mouth. I played a little less of you, 52 minutes, but I'm not convinced so far, as review suggested this afternoon.

I want to be honest,I'm a little disappointed. Great graphic, good atmosphere, excellent sounds, but...no. Amnesia comes from another planet.

As you said, there is an action and you find close the way to hide yourself. You simply have to wait that villains says "disappear to heaven", or something like that.

It is too drived for the first hour, but it is too early for a judge. Just first(negatives)impressions.

derFeef

who else jumped out of their seat when
the wheelchair man attacked, kept thinking it was going to be one of those dudes watching the TV

While I did, I saw it coming and I think it's really cheap.
Usual trick .. first time nothing happens, second time HEYO!

I hope this game ramps up in it's scare factor because jump scares can get tiresome after a while. Love the production value though, good stuff.

Top Bottom