• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast PS4 |OT|

Cudder

Started it with a housemate who does film animation and he prefaced the game with 'computer games will never be scary like films are'. 20 minutes in he's ducking behind my sofa and walking out at certain points.

I'd have laughed if I wasn't covered in my own faeces.

Games have surpassed movies in effective horror imo. I don't get how you can work in media/entertainment and have such an ignorance to what's going on in other strains of your field.

ReaperXL7

The only thing I really dislike about the game is that when you're hiding in a locker it's really hard to tell if the enemy is gone since you can only look forward.

Spoiler concerning lockers:
Also, enemies checking out lockers are never scary. No shit he's going to look in the lockers that I'm not in.

There are a few parts in the game where it doesn't let you run. There's a control option to map run to L3.

they should patch it so that where they look is completely random, that way you'll never know if your fucked until it's too late.

Arnie

How can anyone actually believe that? All you're required to do when watching a film is spectate. Playing a horror game, you assume the role of the main character and it's up to you as the player to confront whatever's ahead, whether you like it or not.

Games have surpassed movies in effective horror imo. I don't get how you can work in media/entertainment and have such an ignorance to what's going on in other strains of your field.

I agree completely and that's exactly what I told him. Just the sheer participation element is what gets me; being the one to peek around the corners fucking killed me, and it certainly got him as well.

He's just a bit of a movie zealot, though. In certain instances people let their heart rule their head.

Game is top, so glad I got to play it on + because I wouldn't have touched it otherwise.

So I have been super excited to play Outlast and finally I started to play it, moved a beanbag in front of the 46" Samsung TV to get super close, got my headphones on, lights off and managed 10 mins before I grabbed my Vita and headed upstairs to get in bed with the missus and play via Remote Play. /fail

majik13

I would have to agree, horror/scary movies have not had much of an effect on me since around elementry school. i just always know they are fake. But after playing games liek Zombiu and this, it can really get me pumped up, and as i am more focused and in direct control of the character even jump scares are more effective.

Whelp, not really feeling this game. Feels way too scripted for me, I haven't felt like my decisions have made any difference, just go here, go there. I also didn't like that I died and came back with a full battery plus a spare. I did really start feeling a bit of tension and was going with the flow trying to get back to a lit area to scavenge for more batteries since mine was dying, but I didn't make it. Okay, I'll try again...oh wait, I don't have to...back to the rails.

That said, I'll give it one more go. I may read more of the documents, but with his heavy breathing it makes me feel somewhat paniced and I don't feel like I should be standing around reading.

Ricky_R

Tried playing this for a bit and FUCK THAT SHIT!!! I knew I just can't play scary games anymore and even more so with head-phones, but I did anyway and FUCK THAT SHIT.

I'm out.

skynidas

Banned
holy shit, i almost had a heart attack with my headphones on in the first scare the game throws at you. when i get back to the game i'm gonna have to turn the volume down a bit

holy shit, i almost had a heart attack with my headphones on in the first scare the game throws at you. when i get back to the game i'm gonna have to turn the volume down a bit

Please say that the first scare was
the TV coming on
as that made me jump and I felt like an idiot and turned it off. I then got as far as
the first dark room and the impaled guy talking to you, I exited the room, saw some big thing walk off
and thought nope that's me done for the night.

jf DOOM

I played this mid day with lights on and I was terrified. Laying with headphones is really effective in ratcheting up the tension.

Artex

Banned
The only thing I really dislike about the game is that when you're hiding in a locker it's really hard to tell if the enemy is gone since you can only look forward.

Spoiler concerning lockers:
Also, enemies checking out lockers are never scary. No shit he's going to look in the lockers that I'm not in.

There are a few parts in the game where it doesn't let you run. There's a control option to map run to L3.

I'm playing with pulse elite headphones on, but you can easily just determine where they are by listening.

Atolm

Played this in just one sitting; credits are rolling. As a survival horror fan it wasn't scary in the slightest, as others have said the game loses its punch very early and while the exploration is nice, the stealth segments are very boring. Just trial and error. it can be very annoying.

Not everyone can do a "hide & run" horror game properly, and Outlast shows it, it has some odd design decisions that completely kill the mood, like when you're hiding into a locker. They'll never catch you. Also it's a gory game more than psychological horror: by the sixth time the fat dude ripped off my head, I was already friends with him. First law of psychological horror: insinuate, hint, but don't show if possible. The bad dudes are overexposed here, they're shown too much.

Anyway, I liked the game. All the technical aspects are top notch, and hopefully we'll get an Outlast 2 to address my complaints.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this game. I like how it doesn't try and confuse you, it just puts you in a scary environment with a lunatic and let's you try to survive. I was genuinely freaked the fuck out when I was being chased down a dimly lit hallway by a lunatic holding a lead pipe. I respect that I can't fight back, it really is a nice change of pace.

Noks415

Ive been trying to download this since last night. Keep getting "cannot download" error. Tried liked 8 times. Any advice?

How was this game made by 11 people? 1000 Capcom employees couldn't make Resident Evil 6 scary (or good) for that matter but this game has great graphics, the gameplay is fun and the voice acting is good.

Cudder

How was this game made by 11 people? 1000 Capcom employees couldn't make Resident Evil 6 scary (or good) for that matter but this game has great graphics, the gameplay is fun and the voice acting is good.

Don't you think it'd be harder to make a game good trying to get 1000 people on the same page as opposed to 11?

Does anybody elses OUTLAST load in really strange places? Ill be walking through a hall and the load screen pops up out of nowhere for a few seconds.

I get bad motion sickness from this game that it's practically unwatchable/unplayable for me. Out of curiosity, does anyone know the FOV?

Beaulieu

Does anybody elses OUTLAST load in really strange places? Ill be walking through a hall and the load screen pops up out of nowhere for a few seconds.

yep, kinda breaks the mood.
I think it happens on checkpoint tho' or maybe the streaming sucks so it happens when you go too fast ?

HMC

I've dealt with sleep paralysis, night terrors and lucid dreaming since I was a kid. I usually stay away from games like this but I thought I'd try it out.

I played it totally sim... broke into the joint, looked around, saw buckets of blood and all manner of creepy shit everywhere, backtracked back to the front gate, ran back to the Jeep like a bitch and fucking dipped. My version of the main hero is now in front of his tube playin some BF4. Thanks anyway PS+

Beaulieu

I've dealt with sleep paralysis, night terrors and lucid dreaming since I was a kid. I usually stay away from games like this but I thought I'd try it out.

I played it totally sim... broke into the joint, looked around, saw buckets of blood and all manner of creepy shit everywhere, backtracked back to the front gate, ran back to the Jeep like a bitch and fucking dipped. My version of the main hero is now in front of his tube playin some BF4. Thanks anyway PS+

probably the best course of action in your case ;
a major plotpoint deals with sleep paralysis, in this story it's explained that it's a demon that is sleeping on your chest, and it's been known to drink milk and blood from the tits of the person in the paralysis.

I haven't played a horror game since dead space. Havent beaten one since condemned. I have been saying on here a lot that I would not be playing this, but downloading it last night I've decided I should.

Acageron

It blows my mind how many people are streaming this game on Twitch. Most I have seen streamed yet from the PS4. Even if it's a free on plus.

HMC

probably the best course of action in your case ;
a major plotpoint deals with sleep paralysis, in this story it's explained that it's a demon that is sleeping on your chest, and it's been known to drink milk and blood from the tits of the person in the paralysis.

Sweet. Thank you.

Draper

me too.

So......
What exactly is the Walrider? I caught something about nano machines....so its like just a collection of nano machines being controlled by the guy in the sphere?

Dude...I have no fucking clue, I'm just mad I didn't get to control him when he became the host.

TokiDoki

I would have to agree, horror/scary movies have not had much of an effect on me since around elementry school. i just always know they are fake. But after playing games liek Zombiu and this, it can really get me pumped up, and as i am more focused and in direct control of the character even jump scares are more effective.

Weird , I'm direct opposite. I get scared by horror movies because I couldn't control whatever happening to the character in it . But with games its less scary because I know I'll be able to come out victorious .

Con_Smith

Banned
Loving the game so far. Played with my brother and room mate watching and we were all screaming during the generator portion. Even my puppy got freaked by that big guy and started barking and piddled a bit on my carpet. Red Barrel is def on my radar now and hopefully they learn a bit more than jump scares. Their effective on me to a point, but they shouldn't try so hard when the atmosphere alone has me on the edge of defecating myself.

Monocle

I have to say I was very entertained by the entire experience (save for the last bit) but my main issue is that the game is completely transparant with its mechanics. Within the hour you'll have seen every trick in the book and that effectively kills any tension the game had. It really is like a haunted house attraction. Still fun though.
Yeah, predictability is Outlast's one major flaw. The creepy atmosphere and sense of urgency are up there with the best of the best while they're still novel, but when the manufactured nature of the suspense becomes clear, everything is less effective.

Still my favorite horror game besides Amnesia.

Replicant

AHAHAHAHA. My thoughts when I first saw the blood were "Now, why would any smart, rational, sane person enter this building again? I'd definitely not be caught dead in this building late at night"

Draper

It's questionable when every other objective is to undo what I just did.

'Get out of the sewers'

Then why the hell did I jump down here?

Doesn't that require you to play the game flawlessly? Does the game reset to the beginning or just to the checkpoint if you die?

small enemies are two hit kill, big enemies are one hit kill. You can only carry two extra batteries, so 3 total including the one in the camera. Absolutely no checkpoints or saving, if you die it restarts you outside the asylum by your car at the beginning of the game.

Replicant

small enemies are two hit kill, big enemies are one hit kill. You can only carry two extra batteries, so 3 total including the one in the camera. Absolutely no checkpoints or saving, if you die it restarts you outside the asylum by your car at the beginning of the game.

JFC. How did you do it? Is it easy to avoid the enemy after you played the game once? The problem I have with the game is that it's pitch black dark and I can't see anything unless I turn on the night vision. It's easy to get lost.

MazeHaze

Banned
I keep seeing people who say that the enemies can never find you in the lockers. This isn't true at all, I had enemies who definitely did not see me enter the locker pull me out of that fucking thing quite a few times. Nothing like the feeling when they just stop right in front of the locker you're in.

JFC. How did you do it? Is it easy to avoid the enemy after you played the game once? The problem I have with the game is that it's pitch black dark and I can't see anything unless I turn on the night vision. It's easy to get lost.

You can beat the game in roughly an hour if you know where to go. I played through the game once on normal and got all the collectibles, so I did all the exploring I wanted to do. After that I watched a speed run on insane to see strategies for certain areas. Enemies are not as crazy as they seem on your first playthrough. The ai is pretty dumb in fact, it kind of ruins the magic of the game when you see just how dumb they are. So I just watched some speedruns, then when I knew a part was coming up I might have trouble with, I would get a video up and synch it with my playthrough. Just play the video and copy it move by move. I Kept dying at chapter 6, it took me about 5 attempts to get passed that part. Then after that I didnt die at all. Once u can get passed chapter 6, I would say you are in the clear for the rest of the game.

When it comes to the night vision, u just have to memorize the paths. For example, I used one battery across chapter 1-4...then almost 2 from 5-8. U can pick batteries up too

Yondy604

Banned
Well I gave it a shot, took me 30 min (no headphones), I am done for the night.

I feel like sleeping tonight, this game wont help

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So...I stayed up all night in the dark to play through the game...I didn't find it quite as frightening as all of the hype, but I still enjoyed it an awful lot. I thought it was beautifully presented too - it's a fabulous looking and sounding game.

It's just great B-movie fun. It's more like a zombie chase film with jump-scares and lots of gore than it is Don't Look Now or The Exorcist (edit: by which I mean, those are the kind of films that scare me, not so much gore/splatter/jump-scare films)

And...(plot spoilers)...

I really liked the B-movie insanity of the plot. Mad priests! Psychotic doctors! Nazi scientists! Crazy experiments! Government conspiracies! Ghosts!

Top Bottom