• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast PS4 |OT|

dyergram

Played about two hours last night. I think its ok so far the jumps are legit the story is ham fisted to say the least. Played with headphones in bed via remote play unfortunately the graphics are disappointing as the artifacing is quite noticeable also the game requires you to use the back touch which I hate.

Just booted the game with headset on, heard the menu music while bunch of logos flashed on the screen, immediately pressed the PS button. Don't think I have what it takes to play the game, RE4 is the limit of my horror game tolerance.

Played about two hours last night. I think its ok so far the jumps are legit the story is ham fisted to say the least. Played with headphones in bed via remote play unfortunately the graphics are disappointing as the artifacing is quite noticeable also the game requires you to use the back touch which I hate.

try playing on a tv with the ps4. the graphics looked great to me, of course it looks grainy and stuff when you're looking through the camera.

Just booted the game with headset on, heard the menu music while bunch of logos flashed on the screen, immediately pressed the PS button. Don't think I have what it takes to play the game, RE4 is the limit of my horror game tolerance.
lol seriously? the game does use a lot of loud noises and music to try and scare you but most of the time nothing happens.
i found Mile's footsteps to be kind of annoying though hah.

I swear my heart doesn't feels right cause I've never had this many jumps before... I keep playing an hour and then take several off to rest my nerves.

The sound mix is too high. I had to crank it down to less than half for it to be tolerable. the guys gasps when grabbing ledges was almost clipping with my HD600 cans

d9b

Banned
Quick ps4 share:

image.jpg

Loving this game!

:shock:

Mocca-Bear

Neo Member
My body is not ready for this, it was a personal accomplishment to finish Alan Wake and that's kiddy stuff compared to this haha.

lol seriously? the game does use a lot of loud noises and music to try and scare you but most of the time nothing happens.
i found Mile's footsteps to be kind of annoying though hah.

Like I said, I have very very low tolerance for horror elements in games. I can sit through the worst (best?) of horror movies/shows without flinching a muscle, but in games where YOU have to do something to escape and survive, when its up to YOU to enter or avoid that dark spooky room, it becomes a completely different thing. Maybe one of these days..

As soon as I saw him banging through it I dipped. There was no way that glass was gonna hold in a horror game.

I thought the game would follow the video game trope of
big monster smashes glass and realizes it can't get through and walks away, I was literally shocked and had to pause the game
...I immediately turned it off and started playing Super Mario 3D World

aravuus

Like I said, I have very very low tolerance for horror elements in games. I can sit through the worst (best?) of horror movies/shows without flinching a muscle, but in games where YOU have to do something to escape and survive, when its up to YOU to enter or avoid that dark spooky room, it becomes a completely different thing. Maybe one of these days..

Haha, same here. I genuinely really like some horror movies but goddamn, horror games. Especially these, where you don't have a machine gun with infinite ammo, I hate these so much.

Still, it's free so I'll try to get as far as possible.

ClearData

So... is anyone going to try insane? Despite the challenge I think it is more manageable than Dead Space 2's Hardcore mode owing to the game being shorter and combat not being a main focus.

ReaperXL7

I love this kind of stuff, me and my wife went on a tour of a shut down mental institution a few years ago and it was pretty awesome. The game has some really great atmosphere, and I like the fact that they turn enemies into puzzle like elements that you can't just straight fight.

Game is great, this is going to be a superior year for horror gaming. I just wish we had dates for daylight, dying light, Soma, and I wish Routine were coming to PS4

Xater

Is there any reason to not have your camera up all the time?

if you don't want the camera effects on screen all the time. Otherwise really is no reason. Battery gets only drained with night vision.

I love this kind of stuff, me and my wife went on a tour of a shut down mental institution a few years ago and it was pretty awesome. The game has some really great atmosphere, and I like the fact that they turn enemies into puzzle like elements that you can't just straight fight.

Game is great, this is going to be a superior year for horror gaming. I just wish we had dates for daylight, dying light, Soma, and I wish Routine were coming to PS4

Daylight should be soon right? Pretty sure I saw something about it already getting a rating in Australia.

ReaperXL7

if you don't want the camera effects on screen all the time. Otherwise really is no reason. Battery gets only drained with night vision.

Daylight should be soon right? Pretty sure I saw something about it already getting a rating in Australia.

I'm not sure, I know they said it would be "early 2014" but nothing beyond that. I think it's going to be interesting though as it was written by Jessica Chobot, so it's either going to be surprisingly good....or not so much.

kiguel182

Played it for a little more than an hour yesterday and I don't think I was ever so uncomfortable in all my life.

The game really has this unease feeling going for it. The soundtrack is top-notch and I was constantly scared of what might pop up in the corner.

Some jump scares were a little cheap but those were the minority so far, the game really builds towards the more scary moments by constantly having you on your feet.

It's good but maybe a little to scary, I'll go back to it I think but I don't know if I'll finish it.

this must be a lot of people's first horror game or something. this game did not scare me at all, but a game like Silent Hill will have me freaking out.

I had the same feeling when I played for this on the PC. It's a great game and I was startled a bunch, but it wasn't a lasting scare. It's a haunted house, and that's just fine when done right (it was here). But it wasn't something that lasts like Silent Hill 2, which had almost no startle scares, but an oppressive atmosphere, themes and story.

It's much worse in movies now where scaring seems to have taken a backseat to startling, movies no longer seem to try to get under your skin as much as make you jump as much as possible.

This game is hard. I cant get past the dude who guards the generators in the basement. Is there something I am missing here to sneak past him?

I am a couple of hours in at this point only had one HOLY CRAP jump scare. I really like the concept of a first person game w/o any way to kill every attacker.

Also playing this game during the snow storm with headphones on was a fantastic experience.

The music that plays when you die is sooooo cheesy. If it were up to me I'd have selected something much darker and morbid to play in that slot.

Certinty

Had the most messed up dream ever last night. I blame the 15 minutes I played of this game. Saying that though I want to continue despite how scared I am.

Scoot2005

Banned
This is some bullshit. It doesn't matter where I save it just takes me back to the last auto-save regardless of what file I select. I got stuck between a wall and an enemy so I just reloaded and now I have to redo the whole section.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
Played for 20 and I'm never, NEVER playing this game again, I couldn't sleep, I felt someone was watching me, seriously, I'm okay watching horror movies but when you go night vision with the camera it looks so freaking real man

eXistor

I have to say I was very entertained by the entire experience (save for the last bit) but my main issue is that the game is completely transparant with its mechanics. Within the hour you'll have seen every trick in the book and that effectively kills any tension the game had. It really is like a haunted house attraction. Still fun though.

djshauny

Banned
I have to say I was very entertained by the entire experience (save for the last bit) but my main issue is that the game is completely transparant with its mechanics. Within the hour you'll have seen every trick in the book and that effectively kills any tension the game had. It really is like a haunted house attraction. Still fun though.

My thoughts exactly.

ReaperXL7

its super frustrating. I cant outrun the dude or hide in the electrical room cause there is no place to hide.

Here is how I did it
When you enter the room with the generator switch open both doors to the rooms with the water pump switches but don't turn on either switch yet. After that go to the switch furthest from the locked door that the psycho breaks thorough, hit that switch and then quickly run to the the switch in the other room hit it, and then hide under the bed in that room.

The psycho will come in snoop around, and then walk out. Wait a for a second and then exit from under the bed and run through the door he came out of and run all the way to the main breaker,flip the breaker. Hide in the locker in that room, then after he comes into that room to snoop around and leaves move out of that room and then after you make a left there will be a room right around the corner, hide under the bed.

If he comes into the room wait for him to leave, if he does not you should see him pass by the door. Once he does make a beeline for the main generator switch, press it and then exit the way you came in from Tue beginning.

You have to be patient and wait for your openings though. Hope this helps.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This game is hard. I cant get past the dude who guards the generators in the basement. Is there something I am missing here to sneak past him?

Hide, sneak, peak and LUCK. I started with the door on the right, pressed the button and hid in the locker. I waited for him to leave and sneaked out after him. When he went round the corner to climb up to the button on the plinth, I snook into the door on the left. I pressed that and hid under the bed. Again I waited for him to leave and headed for the door he bashed open. From there it was chaos. After running around in there like a headless chicken I eventually found a locker and hid, rolled a cigarette and took a breath or two. I eventually pulled the lever and snook out again. He saw me so I ran back to where you first begin the level which calms the situation down again. Once I'd waited a moment it was just a matter of going straight to the button.

you can do the two pumps back to back before he comes looking, then sneak to the breaker switch in the area opposite you came from, hide again until he's gone, try and sneak back to the illuminated panel you first see and turn the lights back on. When I did this, he killed me right after, but I completed the objective when I respawned.

EGM1966

Yah agreed. I think it's a great game for what it is but the mechanics/scenarios they came up with do get stretched thin by the end and the final section nose-dives from a gameplay perspective.

Plot is more than a bit bonkers/cliched too.

Loved the way they approached your sense of presence in the game though - even better than Mirrors Edge. The sense of being in the game was superb and the interaction fantastic.

I'd love to see them take this core and build something far more ambitious and deeper (and also allow for some limited combat as particularly in context in Outlast it becomes obvious very quickly in reality you would easily fight back against the majority of foes presented even if it was as a "last resort").

Still and all worth every penny IMHO and a nice first release from a small new studio.

Violater

I just ran and flipped the switches then ran out of there.

I would say though there are a pair of characters in there that are intriguing just from their dialogue with each other.

Smokey

Lol

I like free stuff but not even wasting my time down loading this

I just completed the part where
the psycho doctor was squashed by the elevator.
How far am I in? Because quite honestly that part was super intense and I don't know how much more of this I can take lol.

Had my first scary-scare, as in actual fright in the
kitchen bit

Few other tense moments but not an actual oh that gave me a fright bits before that.

Top Bottom