• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast PS4 |OT|

Birathen

I swear my heart doesn't feels right cause I've never had this many jumps before... I keep playing an hour and then take several off to rest my nerves.

This is how I played through Silent Hill 2. The game crept under my skin and did stuff to my brain. Play 30 - 60 minutes, paus an hour or two :)

Mobius 1

The last time I had a visceral response to a video game like this was with Silent Hill 2. And that is the masterpiece of the genre.

I should give this another go tonight. The sound design alone is responsible for most tension, amazing work.

trustter

I can't play this game. Shit is too scary. I played for like 5 minutes and I couldn't go further but maybe because it was almost midnight.

I shall try on the Sun is up, around noon. With all my windows wide open.

It's definitely not on the same tier of horror as something like Silent Hill 2 or Project Zero, but it's obviously doing a lot of things right. My playthrough has also benefited from a lack of actual dying, so I'm not encountering those trial-and-error qualms that a lot of people complain about.

Darksol

I only got to the point briefly past
hiding in the locker, where you need to fix the pumps in the basement. First time I played it, I restored power, and then got chased, took a wrong turn, and died. This time I played it, I only got one of the two pumps operational, and he walked in on me, and I died. I had no idea that bastard was wandering around >.<

Finished this up last night and I really enjoyed it. Sat down to play it for an hour or two last night and ended up playing until after 1am. Even though I found enemy encounters annoying most of the time, the game still had me hooked enough to play for like 5 or 6 hours last night.

I agree with what some others said that once you kind of get into the game and understand how it works and all that, it loses its creepy factor a little. There were some later areas that recapture that on edge feeling of the beginning of the game though.

One thing I wish that was used more are wide open areas. Found it much creepier being in a large open space than being in confined hallways and tunnels. Two areas that I really liked were (later areas in the game)
the large room in the sewer with that big guy walking around in the water and when you get outside the asylum and are walking around in the rain and thunderstorms with tall grass obscuring your view. The outside part in particular looked so good with the night vision and the limited visibility made it really creepy to walk around in.
. Would love to see more of that in a sequel.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Well, Outlast at least avoids loading screens and runs at a higher resolution and framerate. Not an amazing looking game, though.

Not an amazing looking game?

Are you kidding me? Outlast is one of the most impressive-looking games of this past gen. At times it looks absolutely realistic.

Chabbles

The people passing up on this over thinking their too scared to play. Its all in your head, the game has a handful of jump scares, the rest is just a cool, creepy atmosphere. Its pretty tame really once you get going.

S¡mon;99845576 said:
You, sir, must be the devil?

Hahahahaha ahh that got a good one out of me.

I would like to retract this comment I made earlier.

This is great Fuzzy thank you for this .

The wives are gone and me and my brother are starting this tonight. Can't wait for a proper scare especially after how disappointing Amnesia The Pig Rape Simulator was.

Marvel

could never
Finally got the time to sit down and play this bad boy tonight, I do not think my undergarments are ready.

Not an amazing looking game?

Are you kidding me? Outlast is one of the most impressive-looking games of this past gen. At times it looks absolutely realistic.

The atmosphere in this game is incredible. Combine that with the texture work and sound, and what you get is nothing short of amazing. My roommate was watching me play, I told him to put the headphones on and watch me play, he made it about 30 seconds before giving it back to me. The sound alone adds a creepiness factor that is off the charts. Also, the small details, like putting your hand on the doorway while you lean around the corner.

The sound design is amazing, although I really wish the guy you play as would stop touching everything. I mean, sure, it's cool tech, and it helps you know when you are in the right position to lean out a doorway...

but when I'm crouching near a corpse and he puts his hand down on all innards spilling out of it, for no reason at all... I find myself yelling at him. Stop touching blood and piss and shit and guts for crying out loud.

So I only had the opportunity to play about 20 minutes so far, but is there any reason to not always use the camcorder view?

Edit: Also how do I silently shut a door behind me? The game seems locked into slam-or-nothing.

Nuke Soda

Even though it didn't scare me there was one total WTF moment.
Dude having sex with a corpse gets up and starts berating you for watching and calls you a creep. Was not expecting that.

This game and Don't Starve show the brilliance of PS+. These games are being exposed to lots of people that would normally not try them. This thread is already surpassed the original Outlast OT on gaf and it's only been out for a day.

Mengetsu

Between you guys posting about menu music, jump scares(The scares I hate the most) and that gif with him peering and the monster there in your face I can't fathom playing as much as I want to...

This game and Don't Starve show the brilliance of PS+. These games are being exposed to lots of people that would normally not try them. This thread is already surpassed the original Outlast OT on gaf and it's only been out for a day.

Agreed. PS+ and Steam are the two best things to happen to gaming last gen. I actually kind of prefer PS+ tbh

def sim

So I only had the opportunity to play about 20 minutes so far, but is there any reason to not always use the camcorder view?

Edit: Also how do I silently shut a door behind me? The game seems locked into slam-or-nothing.

If you really don't like chromatic aberration, I suppose you'd keep it down. I'm keeping it up for all the notes, though.

Also, slams only in this.

If you really don't like chromatic aberration, I suppose you'd keep it down. I'm keeping it up for all the notes, though.

Thanks. I was keeping it up for the notes as well. Does this view interfere with your character climbing/hiding/etc? Also, is there any advantage to slamming the doors behind you preemptively?

majik13

Thanks. I was keeping it up for the notes as well. Does this view interfere with your character climbing/hiding/etc? Also, is there any advantage to slamming the doors behind you preemptively?

I think the biggest disadvantage of the camcoder up is you cant run? Which is lame, because when an enemy finds you in a dark area you have to put it away to run, but then it is pitch blank, so you have no idea where you are going. it is very frustrating.

ReaperXL7

Shutting doors behind you can help by creating a stop gap between you and enemies because most of them will try to break it down instead of just opening it, on the other hand it can create another obstacle for you if your trying to flee for your life.

I did a whole run through of the game last night while my girl watched.. I've beat the game before so the jump scares didn't get to me but my girlfriend hahaha..

When I got to the part where
the Doctor cuts off the fingers,
she like "NOPE!" and walks out of the bedroom.. I cracked up

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Finished this yesterday night, and I loved the crap out of it. The opening 30 minutes made me as tense, as any game ever made me. I had trouble just advancing, in any direction. I just felt utterly helpless and terrified of every corner. You just have to push onwards, no matter what. It definitely peaks in the middle though.

Late gameplay spoilers but no story spoilers:
The game's last section was slightly disappointing IMO. The story peaked well, and explained itself well...But the final stalker of the game, despite looking the coolest is just boring on a gameplay level. There is no hiding, or navigating around him. It's just straight line chases without much tension. Such a shame.

But overall, this was really brilliant. I can't wait for the Whistleblower DLC.

Even though it didn't scare me there was one total WTF moment.
Dude having sex with a corpse gets up and starts berating you for watching and calls you a creep. Was not expecting that.

The note your guy makes if you have the camcorder out for that part is pretty funny. I didn't see it right then, and it took a while to figure out exactly when it was written, because only the name of the note references the thing in the spoiler text.

def sim

I think the biggest disadvantage of the camcoder up is you cant run? Which is lame, because when an enemy finds you in a dark area you have to put it away to run, but then it is pitch blank, so you have no idea where you are going. it is very frustrating.

You can run with the camcorder up. I'm pretty sure you can do almost everything, except maybe hanging, while recording.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Hanging or climbing. Everything else you can keep it up.

Im about 25 minutes in, is there any particular reason I should have it raised all the time? Iv been putting it up once in every room up until now

majik13

Also am I the only one who didnt see the logo on the gamma brightness screen? the only way for me to see it was to set my Panny plamsa black level from dark to light, but then that flashed or washes out all the blacks, and dailing other settings down to comepensate wouldnt make the logo disseapper or become dark. Also the instructions are oddly worded.

It says to make the logo dark. While the guy barely visisble. What exactly does "dark" mean if not barely visisble. does it mean compeltely black then?

I hate these brightness settings screens, I can never seem to get them right, and they always have nonsensical setup/instructions.

Amyways, i think I just need to recalibrate my TV or something. Or perhaps there is still an issue with the PS4 full/limited settings? Changing either through the PS4 menu made no difference to the image. Though there was a difference when i changed the same settings in my TV input menus.

majik13

You can run with the camcorder up. I'm pretty sure you can do almost everything, except maybe hanging, while recording.

ah good to know, i swear i tried to run, but it didnt work. Maybe I am just fumbling with the controls. I wish run was on L3, maybe there is an option.

The only thing I really dislike about the game is that when you're hiding in a locker it's really hard to tell if the enemy is gone since you can only look forward.

Spoiler concerning lockers:
Also, enemies checking out lockers are never scary. No shit he's going to look in the lockers that I'm not in.

ah good to know, i swear i tried to run, but it didnt work. Maybe I am just fumbling with the controls. I wish run was on L3, maybe there is an option.

There are a few parts in the game where it doesn't let you run. There's a control option to map run to L3.

Carl

Yup, that's the great thing about PS+. It's fantastic how much it can expose a game.

Arnie

Started it with a housemate who does film animation and he prefaced the game with 'computer games will never be scary like films are'. 20 minutes in he's ducking behind my sofa and walking out at certain points.

I'd have laughed if I wasn't covered in my own faeces.

Started it with a housemate who does film animation and he prefaced the game with 'computer games will never be scary like films are'. 20 minutes in he's ducking behind my sofa and walking out at certain points.

I'd have laughed if I wasn't covered in my own faeces.

How can anyone actually believe that? All you're required to do when watching a film is spectate. Playing a horror game, you assume the role of the main character and it's up to you as the player to confront whatever's ahead, whether you like it or not.

Top Bottom