• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

Razek

Banned
At the end of the day no one cares what specs your console has, what features it has, what matters most is if you have a bunch of great games that will attract a decent sized audience or a killer app(Halo:CE, Super Mario World, Soul Calibur). Without something to convince a sizable audience to get it at launch, it's unlikely they will be able to get the forward momentum they need to stay relevant. Having a bunch of mobile style games won't help them differentiate themselves.

Don't forget cost. Make it cheap enough and it becomes pocket change for an entirely broader demographic.

Crub

Are there any good Android games with on-screen buttons, that are not also available on PC?

Those would be a great fit for the platform.

Nohar

Do you guys think it will be available in stores?.

Dunno. Well, let me take a wild guess and say that if this console has a huge success, it probably will be commercialized in stores.

In any case, judging by the massive funding and the media-coverage that is assured to follow, we may have more information and possibly updates very soon.

It's going to be an interesting month. I highly doubt that this will go unoticed.

Meelow

Banned
Dunno. Well, let me take a wild guess and say that if this console has a huge success, it probably will be commercialized in stores.

In any case, judging by the massive funding and the media-coverage that is assured to follow, we may have more information and possibly updates very soon.

It's going to be an interesting month. I highly doubt that this will go unoticed.

I read somewhere that they're going to start with online only, but they are talking with retail.

Hopefully!.

Seems like it has some potential. The fact that it have both Software and Hardware mods is interesting.

No rumble-Add a mod
No Gyro-Add a mod

Of course, someone has to fill that space and it's not a replacement for a PS4/Nextbox/Wii U/PC, but it should fill a niche and possibly more.... If nothing else a hassle-free all in one emulator with controller that can also play Android games that are ported may be enough for a lot of people.

I'll be keeping an eye on this as it's pretty intriguing to me. Not only this console but a new Console using Kickstarter

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
For those asking about pledge totals:

@ playouya So if I back the $99+ option, is it an extra $30 for controller and shipping or $50 ($20 for shipping, $30 for controller)?

@ JennaStoffels $20 shipping, $30 controller! Add it all to your pledge! Hope that helps. :)

To quote Jeff Gerstmann from the most recent Giant Bombcast: "All XBLA games are free to play."

You don't agree that it's at least being a bit deceptive?

No, because their FAQ explains it in detail right there on the front of the Kickstarter page:

Ouya said:
When you say "free games," what does that mean exactly?

We want you to pay only for the games you love. A “free to play” model works when everyone (gamers and game makers) benefits from directly rewarding amazing games.

For gamers, every game will be free to play: what this means is that there will at least be a free demo, or you’ll be able to play the entirety of the game for free but may have access to additional items, upgrades, or other features that come at a cost.

For developers, free to play means that they can set their own prices. Developers know best: There is no better way to sell a game than to have folks that have actually touched the game share glowing reviews with their friends. By allowing some form of free play, we’ll help them do just that. The only reason you used to pay for games before playing them is that you couldn’t try them at the store before you brought them home – it’s a relic of an old way of doing business, and one of the many things about the games business we plan to change.

Ninja Dom

There's a lot of hating going on with the Tegra 3.

What's so bad about it? I play games on an iPhone 4S/iPad 3. How do the graphics compare?

I'm not sure if I'm willing to back them, but this is a really exciting device and I hope they can make something big out of it.

There's a lot of potential for a more traditional console-like device with a true app store model and an extremely low barrier to entry for development. Everyone comparing it to phones and PCs are kind of missing the point, imo. The real exciting potential for this is for indie games along the lines of Minecraft or Spelunky (XBLA versions) that are designed around a console interface and the option of local multiplayer. This is the kind of thing I hoped the Wii would be, but then Nintendo dropped the ball on WiiWare (and kind of priced the hardware out of this impulse-buy supplemental device price range). There's really nothing serving that space right now -- XBLIG comes kind of close, but that has its own problems and stigmas that have pretty much sealed its fate.

If this lives up to its potential, it will definitely be worth the asking price. I still don't think I'll back/preorder unless I can convince myself that it'll be worth it as an emulation/media device even without strong gaming support.

Magypsy

If this lives up to its potential, it will definitely be worth the asking price. I still don't think I'll back/preorder unless I can convince myself that it'll be worth it as an emulation/media device even without strong gaming support.

This is also why I already ordered. Even if this thing fails, I'll have a nice emulator box and media center device :)

Vesper73

Oh and, it could have a pretty killer demoscene.

Anyone know if they will allow assembly language programming on it, or will we be forced through some java interface?

Gravitom

While there is a lot of hating on the Tegra 3 I'm sure they will be able to run this thing at much hire clocks than mobile devices since battery life isn't an issue. I can't find the source but I remember reading an Interview with Epic Games where they said that they could make Infinity Blade look as good/better than current gen consoles if they could run at higher clocks but the battery would only last 10 minutes.

atbigelow

While I do love the idea of an open console (as a budding indie dev myself), I am not sure how I feel about this product. It isn't screaming REVOLUTION in many ways other than being open.

PCs are already quite open. And they also hook up to your TV quite easily.

It screams "solid product" and not "gonna blow the doors off." I also don't think Android makes for a very strong OS for gaming. There's plenty of games available for it, but when you are fighting for TV space, I think quality is also important.

Excited to see where it goes, still.

EDIT: Also not impressed with it hardware-wise. They can definitely go further than a smartphone as they can have a far better cooling solution than any tablet or phone. Not sure if that will stack up with upcoming next-gen hardware and it might not be important.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I will be able to buy one at a later date even if I don't pledge $99 right? I'm a little broke at the moment, lol.

Yeah, you will be able to buy it down the line. Either through their site, or eventually retail(if plans work out).

Boerseun

Banned
PC isn't dead
except at retail
and it's hammered with piracy that makes Android seem secure.

I can go into a local retailer and purchase many (if not most) 2011 PC releases for €2 to €10. Those still count as units sold, of course, and publishers will use those sold numbers as evidence of a healthy sector when in fact the truth is just the opposite.

When you're game is priced less than €2 to begin with it's a different matter entirely. But make it too easy for pirates to pirate and they'll pirate those too, anyway.

I don't see this succeeding in the long run.

Piracy will be too easy. Pretty much straight out of the box.

They're pretty much saying "Hack it to bits but don't pirate please!"

Free to Play could of course still work on the thing, knowing that it's the knickel and dime stuff you pay for e.g. maps, weapons, hats, etc.

Somnid

The real reason this idea probably won't work is the expectation that you buy a console and you're set for a good 4-5 years. The proposition that nobody will need/want to upgrade or they will upgrade a box under their television on a regular basis to play free games that can be had on other consoles, PC, tablet, phones or the web seems like a tough sell. And it will need to upgrade just to keep up with the apps and OS.

The Dreamcast would like to say hello....

This is not a console which needs to protect its physical retail sales and the slim margins that come from the traditional model. A digital only device with the right store/account infrastructure and social integration should be good enough to dissuade casual piracy. I would give legit accounts that are logged in nice benefits, like full communication features with every other account logged in as well as invite systems that work only for legit users and games. That leaves offline game piracy, but attractive and/or critical game content could be delivered in a streaming cache that cannot be saved and run offline as well as focusing on other ways to earn money than from initial sale. There is plenty of time to figure out how to launch next year while steering around and avoiding similar level of Android piracy on existing platforms.

The real reason this idea probably won't work is the expectation that you buy a console and you're set for a good 4-5 years. The proposition that nobody will need/want to upgrade or they will upgrade a box under their television on a regular basis to play free games that can be had on other consoles, PC, tablet, phones or the web seems like a tough sell. And it will need to upgrade just to keep up with the apps and OS.

People don't think like that, I don't believe. At least, not quite in the way you're putting it. First and foremost, it's the software stream that matters. People who buy this should already understand that this isn't supposed to be keeping up with the higher end range as that puts it in the same boat that led us to have such a shitty console market currently. The limitations should matter enough to foster greater, more meaningful competition among developers for ideas and execution, not a lot of upfront flash and marketing saturation.

If people want what you're talking about, there's nothing stopping them from buying the traditional next gen consoles.

alphaNoid

Banned
Do we know anything about its media playing functionality? Today I'm running Boxee on an old laptop, XBMC runs like crap on it due to rendering and I'm sort of in the market for a long term solution for a media center.

Do we know supported video formats? Do we know if it has a video interface? I prefer pretty GUI over a list of movies. Anyone have any idea?

Top Bottom