• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

Boerseun

Banned
Between a Wii and a 360 but full HD compatible.

No, potentially more powerful than either, but you're going to need a developer with significant resources to get the most out of it. And so far we havn't seen a developer with such resources commit to the Tegra 3 platform.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Between a Wii and a 360 but full HD compatible.

Pretty massive gap between Wii and 360. This thing is a lot closer to the Wii than the 360, but with more advanced shader capabilities, obviously.

No, potentially more powerful than either, but you're going to need a developer with significant resources to get the most out of it. And so far we havn't seen a developer with such resources commit to the Tegra 3 platform.

Potentially more powerful than a 360? In what ways?

Alchemy

I would be really surprised if a Tegra 3 could match the 360's GPU, and even if they are equal I would equally surprised if they could get Android to be more efficient for gaming then the 360 OS.

I think it has 2x the RAM of 360.

This really means nothing by itself.

Razek

Banned
I hope some of those millions are going advertising. This industry is one of the most important when it comes to reaching an audience through targeted ads. Without any voice I can see people thinking it's a cheap toy or media machine only. Cheap is good, but why buy this then when the slightly more expensive and known machine has Mario?

alphaNoid

Banned
Can this be used for a media center? I suspect if not out of the box someone will create some kind of pretty interface for one, yes?

Boerseun

Banned
We can all go around claiming different things as regards this thing's capabilities, but the question over power won't receive a final answer until you get the likes of Epic to commit to it on a long-term basis. And not just to Tegra 3 as a general GPU platform but to OUYA as a complete device with its own specific feature set.

Right now, a capable dev with the necessary resources should be able to built a game ground-up for the OUYA that resembles a mid-tier 360 title, but it's going to take more than one iteration of said title to get to the point where you're matching or surpassing the best looking 360 titles in terms of pure graphics performance.

In summary, if a small indie developer could make this for general devices, just imagine what a properly funded and staffed developer could do for this specific device.

bede-x

Why would you vote for content that is already readily available elsewhere?

Maybe he hopes that this will be a cheaper and easier way to get access to the games. Something like VVVVVV might be available elsewhere, but what if you want it to work out of the box with D-pad control on the television with an interface that actually fits the display? Not everyone wants to fiddle with Joy2key or other settings to make it work. People are just different that way.

An easy to use 100$ console might fit those needs, not that I believe in this particular one.

TheD

The Detective

It is not even close to as powerful!

Does anyone know if this thing is capable of ever running a port of Torchlight 2? I could see that doing great on here.

Also those Baldurs Gate HD versions for iOS?

Yeah I read the description when it first came out and rolled my eyes a couple of times.

They're hyping up a console that is going to compete with monstrous and arrogant companies that have had the market share all to themselves for the past 10 years.

I think they're going about it the right way. Better loud and proud than meek and weak, even if it comes off as a bit obnoxious.

And people seem to be responding to it in a good way.

Boerseun

Banned
I hope they ship a Blu-Ray attachment. That would certainly make for another reason to own one.

When you run Shadowgun on 720p+ devices, is it native res or sub-HD like many 360 games?

That's apparently the native (rendered) resolution for this particular game, according to a Nvidia hype sheet from late last year. Tegra 3 can display native 1080p, though not all devices that use it have displays supporting that resolution. Whether Shadowgun will run natively at 1080p is a question only Nvidia and the devs can answer.

Pimpbaa

It will never be potentially more powerful if it's using Tegra 3. And no amount of resources will make it better.

edit: Shadowgun has a horribly low polygon count. Which is to be expected considering the chip.

Finally decided on my 5 survey games:

1.) Binding of Isaac.
2.) Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (will never happen but it fits the freeware model)
3.) Capcom 2d Fighting Games (Classics)
4.) Dungeons of Dredmore
5.) Squeenix 2D RPG's (FF1-6, any DQ games they would want to port).

I made this list based on the both what I want (BoI and DCSS) and also history of mobile games made (SF Volt on iOS and the FF games on iOS).

So this is my very first post on NeoGAF. Hi everybody!

Quick question: what's the difference between OUYA and simply connecting my existing Android device to my television?

Also, idea seems neat, but what an unappealing form factor. It looks like something from Brookstone.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Quick question: what's the difference between OUYA and simply connecting my existing Android device to my television?

Also, idea seems neat, but what an unappealing form factor. It looks like something from Brookstone.

Welcome!

Pretty much nothing. Other than the fact that this will have it's own custom coding and it's own unique gamepad, it's basically the price point and the fact that it's a new toy.

Dwayne

Comes with a controller. Is loaded with OUYA's marketplace store that promises compatible games with said controller. May or may not have better specs than your android.

I think a lot of it will be convenience. It will always be ready so you can just "press a button" have what you want and a dedicated controller.

May also lead to some better software since the Devs will have a set target spec, I guess.

Still, pretty intriguing. Like I said before, not just the fact of the system, but how much a new console has gained in popularity and how many funds it's raised on kickstarter is also intriguing, IMO.

The idea is that it is a set hardware configuration for developers to develop games around, much like how consoles are basically just glorified PC's.

The set limits on the console lets the game makers develop games much more easily and keep the experience for all players the same. The BIGGEST problem in Android software development is the fragmentation of hardware between devices, since there are so many different phones with different specs, its impossible to test the software on all of them, hence performance is worse off for older phones/products can be buggy. If a game was developed for this in mind, it'd be specifically tailored to only run on Ouya hardware.

It also is cater made for TV use, hence some of the hardware decisions that differ from most android phones.

ZoddGutts

Finally decided on my 5 survey games:

1.) Binding of Isaac.
2.) Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (will never happen but it fits the freeware model)
3.) Capcom 2d Fighting Games (Classics)
4.) Dungeons of Dredmore
5.) Squeenix 2D RPG's (FF1-6, any DQ games they would want to port).

I made this list based on the both what I want (BoI and DCSS) and also history of mobile games made (SF Volt on iOS and the FF games on iOS).

Falcom games will also be supporting smartphones. http://andriasang.com/con1wg/3ds_legend_of_heroes/

I'm pretty sure the openness will cause quite a lot of issues.

On one hand, they'll need developers to be happy about the machine and to see potential sales in it.

On the other hand, it'll be easy as shit to just pirate everything and use that thing for emulation and pirated copies.

Also, if its as open as they say, once they open the floodgates you'll see TONS of shit appearing. XBLIG is curated, but look at all the utter trash on that service. You need curation, you need someone to look over the games that are being offered, to see if they actually work, to see if they're actually fun.

The experience needs to be streamlined and fun - if that's not the case and people will be flooded with bullshit the moment they see the dashboard, people will quickly forget about this console again.

For 99 bucks it's a no-brainer, but the real question is whether anyone will care about this thing 3-4 months after its release.

onQ123

so what are the chances that the Tegra 3 will be clocked higher on this console than it has ever been clocked since it's not running on batteries now.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The maximum programmable arithmetic potential of a Tegra 3 system is about 1/10th that of the Xbox 360 (and less flexible in applying those operations, too), as an example of one disparity in performance between the two platforms.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure the openness will cause quite a lot of issues.

On one hand, they'll need developers to be happy about the machine and to see potential sales in it.

On the other hand, it'll be easy as shit to just pirate everything and use that thing for emulation and pirated copies.

Also, if its as open as they say, once they open the floodgates you'll see TONS of shit appearing. XBLIG is curated, but look at all the utter trash on that service. You need curation, you need someone to look over the games that are being offered, to see if they actually work, to see if they're actually fun.

The experience needs to be streamlined and fun - if that's not the case and people will be flooded with bullshit the moment they see the dashboard, people will quickly forget about this console again.

For 99 bucks it's a no-brainer, but the real question is whether anyone will care about this thing 3-4 months after its release.

They are aiming for a Q1 2013 release, right? The Wii U will be out and details and rumblings about the next offerings from Sony and Microsoft will surely be leaked by that point in advance of their likely E3 blowouts.

I don't see how anyone who is interested in console gaming, and isn't into tinkering with stuff, will care about this thing at that point.

saunderez

I don't see how anyone who is interested in console gaming, and isn't into tinkering with stuff, will care about this thing at that point.

The early adopter market is about as far removed from the market Ouya is targeting as you can possibly get. A $99 console isn't competing in the same space as an $x99 console despite of the fact they both play games.

This seems likely to be get hit from the bottom by tablets and smartphones, and from the top from consoles. I would be surprised to see this suceed.

ZoddGutts

so what are the chances that the Tegra 3 will be clocked higher on this console than it has ever been clocked since it's not running on batteries now.

Could be using the new version of Tegra 3 the T33 version. Both the CPU and GPU are clocked higher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra

The one that Transformer Prime used: Tegra 3 Version T30 1.4 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 (up to 1.5 GHz in single-core mode)

The new Transformer Pad Infinity: Tegra 3 Version T33 1.6 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 (up to 1.7 GHz in single-core mode)[

Anyways they'll be having an AMA on reddit. I'll ask which version of Tegra 3 their using and if it's clocked higher because it's running on a power plug.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The early adopter market is about as far removed from the market Ouya is targeting as you can possibly get. A $99 console isn't competing in the same space as an $x99 console despite of the fact they both play games.

I argue that this isn't competing with any console, because as of yet, it isn't a console in the traditional sense. It has no support from developers that anyone interested in consoles cares about. If it's launching in less than a year, it most likely won't have anything at launch, either.

bede-x

Does anyone know if this thing is capable of ever running a port of Torchlight 2? I could see that doing great on here.

Also those Baldurs Gate HD versions for iOS?

We don't know all the details yet, but take a look at what the Transformer Prime achieves on an HDTV. It sounds like Ouya will be in that ballpark. On the Asus device you get games like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPhPdRJMck8

More Shadowgun footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6XXmFlw0RA

And playing a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khfMc77SkwI&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL43D2AD814B80100A

Not current gen level and nowhere near a well specced PC, but then it's not supposed to be. For the price point and the kind of games they're aiming at delivering, it's enough and if by some miracle it ever took off, they could go with an iPad model where hardware refreshes could come sooner than console gamers are used to.

element

I think this is just a huge scam. They are using kickstarter to prove to VC that there is a market. The whole thing just screams failure. 'It is hackable', great so people can steal software? 'It is android!', so it will be filled with tons of crap and copied games? Without some system what is to stop me from just stealing developers apk and posting them myself? We see it already with iOS and Android Marketplace. They say they don't want licensing fees, but you have to have some type of organization. You don't want to be known as the platform with shitty games.

Do we know anything about its media playing functionality? Today I'm running Boxee on an old laptop, XBMC runs like crap on it due to rendering and I'm sort of in the market for a long term solution for a media center.

Do we know supported video formats? Do we know if it has a video interface? I prefer pretty GUI over a list of movies. Anyone have any idea?
they have made it clear that isn't the focus, but it is 'hackable' and i would expect XBMC/Boxee to show up on it.

mclaren777

It's right there on the kickstarter page. A Tegra 3 SoC. It's ~1/4 of a Vita in terms of GPU, and ~1 Vita in terms of CPU.

So the Tegra 3 needs to handle both the CPU and GPU duties? That's a bummer given that the Nexus 7 has a T3 as the the CPU and a separate 12-core Nvidia GPU for graphics.

saunderez

So the Tegra 3 needs to handle both the CPU and GPU duties? That's a bummer given that the Nexus 7 has a T3 as the the CPU and a separate 12-core Nvidia GPU for graphics.

No. Tegra3 is a SoC. It's all on the one chip.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus-7-Teardown/9623/1

There's a teardown. Note there isn't a separate GPU when they get to the motherboard.

cXraFOHXUWIItNnO.large

The red outline indicates the Tegra3. There's no other part on the motherboard that is big enough to be a GPU.

And Nvidia's specs for the T30L corroborates this.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-3-processor.html

onQ123

No Tegra 3 is a SOC & it has the CPU & GPU in it there is no separate GPU in the Nexus 7 it's all Tegra 3 unless I'm missing something.

No, that's what the Tegra is, a single chip with integrated CPU and GPU. The "12 core" GPU is actually tiny and significantly slower than what an iPad 2 has. The iPad 3 and Vita GPUs are like 3 times as powerful.

bede-x

Out of curiosity how much more powerful is the Ouya compared to the Wii?.

Take a look at some Tegra 3 gaming on Youtube and judge for yourself(I posted some above your post).

Maybe the first post could have some examples of Tegra 3 on HDTVs, because people keep asking questions about what kind of graphics to expect.

Top Bottom