• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

Comparison wouldn't be fair, each has their own purpose, different price points etc. For example we don't know if the OUYA will be able to handle 1080p MKVs with heavy bitrates with no hiccups, it'll probably miss support for hd audio bistreaming and I'm curious how it'll handle DD True HD and DTS HD MA.
Will it even support 24p? As far as emus, from the replies I've got above it doesn't seem it'll be able to properly emulate PSX games. It's better to approach this "console" for what it's set out to be instead of trying to shoehorn a bunch of different stuff in it.

I can't give you number 'cause it's been forever. But, I tried a very high bit-rate 1080p video on my prime when I got it, it ran it absolutely flawlessly. Can't tell you shit beyond that.

ZoddGutts

Comparison wouldn't be fair, each has their own purpose, different price points etc. For example we don't know if the OUYA will be able to handle 1080p MKVs with heavy bitrates with no hiccups, it'll probably miss support for hd audio bistreaming and I'm curious how it'll handle DD True HD and DTS HD MA.
Will it even support 24p? As far as emus, from the replies I've got above it doesn't seem it'll be able to properly emulate PSX games. It's better to approach this "console" for what it's set out to be instead of trying to shoehorn a bunch of different stuff in it.

Tegra 3 can do 1080 vids without any stuttering. Video showing Tegra 3 doing 1080p, the one on the left side: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jddxnpEY_4g

As for the emulation, for some games not working properly has more due do with the software emulation not being perfect yet, just gotta wait for the latest version that fixes the problems the previous version had.

Man, If this think works it may be my goto TV set top box/light gaming vehicle, while the PC I build will be my primary source of games.

Basically the more I think about it the more I see it this way for me:

1. Hardcore games and big blockbusters on PC

2. Light/indie/casual games on TV on this.

It may very well be a console replacement for me. I don't need a big 1st part publisher mitigating my experience by serving as a gatekeeper and charing me out the ass for proprietary features, hardware and online play. I have an ipad and I have enjoyed a lot of the great games in the indie space on it for low cost. But I admit, I think I would like many of these games better if they were on my TV with a controller and still only $0.99. This is a smart model. It is taking the energy that is in the mobile scene right now and making it very easy for those developers to port to this very cheap device that has a console interface and a controller.

It has also made over 3.25 Million dollars in about 32 hours. Those consoles won't last through tomorrow at this rate. I hope they have plans for another more expensive tier with more consoles.

Erasus

This sounds AWESOME but, I already have canabalt, bastion, VVVVV, Super Meat Boy, Binding of Isaac etc on iOS/PC I dont wanna buy those games AGAIN for Android...

Might be cool as a media center though, and games like shadowgun/dead trigger ... even tho I have those D:

totowhoa

Banned
This sounds AWESOME but, I already have canabalt, bastion, VVVVV, Super Meat Boy, Binding of Isaac etc on iOS/PC I dont wanna buy those games AGAIN for Android...

More games will keep coming out, and there are plenty of games you've probably missed too that could release as well. I'd imagine they'll do what they can to fund some first party games (which they mention they'll be doing in their kickstarter) and maybe pay for some timed releases in their favor.

Might be cool as a media center though, and games like shadowgun/dead trigger ... even tho I have those D:

Here is the good news if you are intersted in having those games to play on your TV with a controller:

You could buy the entire lot of them on Ouya for the price of a shitty burrito and a soda at Tacobell.

It has also made over 3.25 Million dollars in about 32 hours. Those consoles won't last through tomorrow at this rate. I hope they have plans for another more expensive tier with more consoles.

As always, they keep adding more and more consoles. They aren't selling out.

I don't think they've added any more recently and they are getting close.

Not that I think it is a bad thing for them to add more. At some point, they should probably just make a very large limit, though, and stop playing mindgames.

Fou-Lu

Voted for Bastion, Aquaria, Binding of Isaac, Dungeons of Dredmor and Hard Reset. Even though I doubt it could play Hard Reset...

I really need to free up some room on my credit card to pledge some cash, with this amount of funding behind it I think it will actually go far and I love the idea of a platform that will be perfect for Indie devs.

Voted for Bastion, Aquaria, Binding of Isaac, Dungeons of Dredmor and Hard Reset. Even though I doubt it could play Hard Reset...

I really need to free up some room on my credit card to pledge some cash, with this amount of funding behind it I think it will actually go far and I love the idea of a platform that will be perfect for Indie devs.

Hard Reset would be an interesting challenge. I recall hearing that that game could do some impressive stuff with lower end hardware.

Alchemy

I want Sega to jump on this thing, if they made any custom controllers or units in the likeness of the Genesis, Saturn or Dreamcast? I'd double dip for those.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

I have to think that there is a point where they just simply won't be able to deliver. I guess they could try and set up a second run and guarantee delivery at later date?

There's an official sub-reddit, r/ouya. Apparently the CEO is going to an AMA in a few days

What is an AMA?

I have to think that there is a point where they just simply won't be able to deliver. I guess they could try and set up a second run and guarantee delivery at later date?

I don't think it will go above the 80,000 they're at now. They have already said they can't keep raising it or make it unlimited because they want to be sure they can deliver. If that sells out, I think the smart thing to do would be to put up a second $99 bracket and say they will get them in May or something.

Hm. This seems better organized an effort than the OpenPandora. And the price is right, especially since I could hack it into a media player if it ends up being poor as a game machine. I'm sorely tempted to make this my first Eighth generation console.

edit: Ugh, though, the button layout doesn't look very memory friendly. "Press BLUE or DIE!" "Oh, shit, which one is blue?!?" *looks down* "You're DEAD!". I'd've really liked something mnemonic, like making the buttons "N", "S", "E", and "W". I know this only works in English (and almost in a few romance languages), but I think it'd be helpful for a huge chunk of audience.

totowhoa

Banned
Hm. This seems better organized an effort than the OpenPandora. And the price is right, especially since I could hack it into a media player if it ends up being poor as a game machine. I'm sorely tempted to make this my first Eighth generation console.

edit: Ugh, though, the button layout doesn't look very memory friendly. "Press BLUE or DIE!" "Oh, shit, which one is blue?!?" *looks down* "You're DEAD!". I'd've really liked something mnemonic, like making the buttons "N", "S", "E", and "W". I know this only works in English (and almost in a few romance languages), but I think it'd be helpful for a huge chunk of audience.

I was worried about the controller too. Somebody on reddit pointed out that the button prompts on the dashboard here show the letters "O", "U", and "A", so the final button layout may be O-U-Y-A.

I was worried about the controller too. Somebody on reddit pointed out that the button prompts on the dashboard here show the letters "O", "U", and "A", so the final button layout may be O-U-Y-A.

O,U,Y, and A?
ok, that's just being obtuse for the sake of self-gratification.
Keep it simple.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Wow this could actually disrupt the home console market. Perfect timing with the growth of indie devs and tech like unity.

NZNova

Took leave of my senses and backed the kickstarter after previously thinking I wasn't going to. I figure regardless of what happens this thing will be an interesting little thing to own and tinker with.

AkuMifune

Banned
I doubt it but you never know.

It's true the last 24 hours have created one of the most interesting gaming stories of the year, regardless what happens. I don't know if I want one of these things, but I really can't wait to see how it will unfold.

I believe the image of the controller combined with their youtube video is intentionally misleading unless there's other images out there. They say they have a great controller, that has everything we want, but the image seems to hide the left side of the controller, I'm willing to bet it has a bad dpad and analogue placement, cant see any other reason to position it like that.

will someone please prove me wrong so I can kickstart it?

Okay, but they're just letters with no particular hint as to location. I'm particularly bad about remembering where letters are unless there's a particular mnemonic involved. I mean, if I have a second or two to think about it, I know it's A on the right, B on the bottom, Y on the top, and X on the left, but it's miserable when I have to deal with a QTE in as small a time window as they give. If the letters actually suggest directionality somehow, or if the buttons are differently shaped so that I can remember them more easily (as in the case of the Gamecube or, perhaps better, buttons shaped in a way that intrinsically suggest their position, like a big fat up-arrow shape for the top button), then I'd have no difficulty with this at all.

Tegra 3?? No thanks.

Is the Tegra 3 prone to crashing or something?

Wow this could actually disrupt the home console market. Perfect timing with the growth of indie devs and tech like unity.

maybe if it had an apple on the side.

edit: don't get me wrong I would be down to buy one but I don't think it will disrupt anything.

Orayn

I believe the image of the controller combined with their youtube video is intentionally misleading unless there's other images out there. They say they have a great controller, that has everything we want, but the image seems to hide the left side of the controller, I'm willing to bet it has a bad dpad and analogue placement, cant see any other reason to position it like that.

will someone please prove me wrong so I can kickstart it?

What do you define as "bad?" The preview video suggested the analog stick was in the same position as the buttons, but they probably hid it because they haven't made a final decision.

oyy8G.png

vTCfk.png

BrhysH

It's true the last 24 hours have created one of the most interesting gaming stories of the year, regardless what happens. I don't know if I want one of these things, but I really can't wait to see how it will unfold.

Yeah it'll be pretty interesting but I'm confused with their update

"Do you realize what you've done? You proved consoles aren't dead. You shocked the world. And us!"

... never knew consoles were dead to begin with. I mean the Wii is at what 96 million & both 360 and Ps3 have a respective 50 million plus worldwide. Sure the hardware sales are slowing but its getting close to the end of the generation.

At the end of the day no one cares what specs your console has, what features it has, what matters most is if you have a bunch of great games that will attract a decent sized audience or a killer app(Halo:CE, Super Mario World, Soul Calibur). Without something to convince a sizable audience to get it at launch, it's unlikely they will be able to get the forward momentum they need to stay relevant. Having a bunch of mobile style games won't help them differentiate themselves.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it'll be pretty interesting but I'm confused with their update

"Do you realize what you've done? You proved consoles aren't dead. You shocked the world. And us!"

... never knew consoles were dead to begin with. I mean the Wii is at what 96 million & both 360 and Ps3 have a respective 50 million plus worldwide. Sure the hardware sales are slowing but its getting close to the end of the generation.

What's the context for that? Taken alone it makes them look like a bunch of hipster jokers.

Well, the thing is, you don't need to disrupt an existing market to create a sustainable platform. If they can simply provide a solid foundation at the outset to build a long-lasting platform that fits 'in between' existing products, they could be fine over the longer term. I mean, this isn't meant to replace traditional consoles, but to address an identified need or desire for the possibility of being an ultra-cheap TV PC, on the low end, or for an inexpensive alternative to traditional console gaming, at its most successful. It will simply be nice to have a platform that doesn't invest itself, from the beginning, in a losing direction with AAA budgets blotting out the sun and a focus on blockbuster production values over actually interesting game design.

What's the context for that? Taken alone it makes them look like a bunch of hipster jokers.

Because their video starts with them pointing out that game consoles are becoming less and less important, with people moving to playing games on their phones and tablets

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just read their Kickstarter page for the first time, and damn these guys come off as arrogant and disingenuous.

There's something about a big HD TV and digital surround sound that fills up a living room. Shooters, platformers, sports games, arcade classics and experimental indie games just feel bigger on a TV screen. It's how most of us grew up gaming.

You grew up gaming on an HD TV with surround sound playing experimental indie games? What experimental indie games were readily available on consoles before the PS3/360?

All Games Free to Play

Oh, let's just lie a bit.

Let’s open this sucker up! It's time we brought back innovation, experimentation, and creativity to the big screen. Let’s make the games less expensive to make, and less expensive to buy. With all our technological advancements, shouldn't costs be going down? Gaming could be cheaper!

So innovation and experimentation doesn't exist on the current consoles? I wonder where they played those experimental indie games on their childhood HD TVs?

That doesn't mean OUYA is an Android port. You can create the next big title in your bedroom – just like the good old days! Who needs pants!?

What good old days? Who says you can't do that now? What about Minecraft, Super Meat Boy, Braid, Fez, and more?

OUYA could change AAA game development, too. Forget about licensing fees, retail fees, and publishing fees.

AAA game development on a Tegra 3? What are you smoking?

THE REVOLUTION WILL BE TELEVISED

Revolution? Who would have thought that taking dated mobile phone hardware and attaching a controller to it was all it took to start a revolution in video games.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Because their video starts with them pointing out that game consoles are becoming less and less important, with people moving to playing games on their phones and tablets

Interesting. They are interpreting the rise of smartphones and tablets as people becoming less and less interested in consoles? That seems flawed to me.

Smartphones and tablets are rising in popularity because they now exist in an accessible, affordable, and capable form. There's a reason it's called "mobile gaming." It's because people generally the stuff on the go when they don't have access to any other gaming devices.

Do these guys think that mobile devices are popular because of their relatively underpowered hardware and "wild wild west" race-to-the-bottom marketplaces? I just don't see how bringing that combination to the living room is going to excite most people.

How is that lieing? Are you say you know the founders and they told you that no, they AREN'T requiring that all games have some sort of free element to them like they said they would?

To quote Jeff Gerstmann from the most recent Giant Bombcast: "All XBLA games are free to play."

You don't agree that it's at least being a bit deceptive?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
this is on my radar, deffinitly..
some nice android games out there, if this is sucessful, i can see Apple doing a similar thing.

i-Lo

AAA game development on a Tegra 3? What are you smoking?

At the end of the day it's all about how well you can sell a product. Doesn't matter if it has been done before.

All that said, I agree. I don't think it'll have any bearing on AAA development of games. However, it will have some impact on indie games development. It may end up having a positive effect if the tradition setters MS/Sony and Nintendo end up reducing the current barriers to entry for small time devs.

Looks to be a funky little box. Microcomputing is going places! Good luck to the developers. You don't need fifteen billion FLOPS to make a decent game.

Now, will I be able to get a TE arcade stick working on this?

Top Bottom